PDA

View Full Version : Forums with bad communities

Thorn
07-11-06, 03:21
I visit a few other forums and one can get really bad. Some poster was talking about their problems with their parents and people just kept bashing him. It blew up into a 13 page thread. I report the posts yet the moderator's don't respond. Now that kid is really sad because of the online bashers. I gave him some words and hoping he feels better and doesn't listen to them. I'm just glad the other forums, like this one, aren't like that at all! :)

tlr online
07-11-06, 03:22
I've seen some train-wreck forums too. Please don't post links here tho.

Evening Thorn :wve:

BoyTRaider
07-11-06, 03:26
Yes, very horrible for a forum not to have discipline and rules to abide too. Thankfully, we have great mods/admins to make sure our community goes well - not to mention some great members that we have within the community. :)

Thorn
07-11-06, 03:27
:wve: I only go there because of some good e-friends. It's the ego trips that can spoil things.

BoyTRaider
07-11-06, 03:28
I apologize for being off-topic: But who is that girl in your avatar Clara? Reminds me of Christina Aguilera. :)

Thorn
07-11-06, 03:29
Sarah Brightman, my forever favourite singer. :)

JANKERSON
07-11-06, 04:09
I visit a few other forums and one can get really bad. Some poster was talking about their problems with their parents and people just kept bashing him. It blew up into a 13 page thread. I report the posts yet the moderator's don't respond. Now that kid is really sad because of the online bashers. I gave him some words and hoping he feels better and doesn't listen to them. I'm just glad the other forums, like this one, aren't like that at all! :)

I know what you mean there, I have seen it in the past too.

I am a Super Moderator in 2 forums and we (Mods and Admins) keep a real close eye on things so they don't get out of hand.

This forum is very good. :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
07-11-06, 04:12
Every forum has at least one bad egg... *points to self*

haha jk. :p :vlol:

I don't want to sound like a suck up, but TRF is definitely a well balanced forum, the mods and admins here are just delightful. I've had my little rants here and there, but the past is past, I understand their intentions better, they are wonderful people. :)

Scottlee
07-11-06, 12:07
I've seen some very patronizing forums over the years. Generally, forums connected with Tomb Raider, James Bond, and Morecambe Football Club usually contain great members and are well run. I say 'usually', but in the case of the latter there's only one in existence. :D

However, I've had to wade through a hell of a lot of rubbish in years gone by looking for decent Final Fantasy and GTA communities. There's a percentage of fans from those two franchises who are rather unsavoury, forever boasting about how they beat Ultimate Weapon the first time they tried, or how they fled 6 wanted stars on a pushbike. The same people bully forum newbies and act very immature towards anybody who doesn't quite have the same level of intimate knowledge concerning their most treasured games.

Celephais
07-11-06, 12:17
I've found most music forums (particualarly rock/pop) pretty useless, since people are so rabid about their beloved bands that "discussions" tend to revolve around "My band rox, yours sux". I tried recommending some music that I liked to other members but always seemed to be met with remarks along the lines of "I'm not listening to that! It's just not cool enough!"

clairelovestlc
07-11-06, 14:37
I'm really lucky i guess.. i only go on two forums, here are my car club and both are really friendly...

My car club is a really tight nick community, i stayed at one of the girls houses week before last coz we went out for the night, met my boyfriend in a way through the club as we met at one of the club events, two of the members have just got engaged! a few are married to eachother!!!

We live all over the country, but dosent make any different we are really close friends! 25 of us have booked a hotel in swindon in a few weeks time so we can all go out :)

Those people who live close to eachother meet up at weekends and go to the pubs, and we alternate to which area of the country we travel too for nights out

JANKERSON
07-11-06, 14:55
The problem with most forums is that they really aren't well moderated so there is a lot of abuse and attacks on members.

I stay away from most game forums because they tend to be as stated above and I just don't want to deal with the morons.

In most hardware forums there are plenty of people who think they are smarter than anyone else and what they use is the best and the only way. They will flame or attack anyone who doesn't think the same way they do.

There is also a lot of Fanboi thinking in the hardware forums that can make getting help very hard for people needing it.

Dazzy
07-11-06, 14:58
I've had a history of bad forums I use to go on, I got bashed a lot, and now either the forum is still there struggling for post, or it's gone forever.

Thorn
07-11-06, 15:04
The people who can spoil forum communities are usually narcissists or have enlarged ego's. They think they know everything. I wonder if they realise how ridiculous they look. Also ya video game forums can be some of the worst but there is one I like very much besides this one. :) Like already stated it all comes down to how well the forums are moderated and if the bad are kept in check. :)

JANKERSON
07-11-06, 15:08
I've had a history of bad forums I use to go on, I got bashed a lot, and now either the forum is still there struggling for post, or it's gone forever.

There are still a ton of them out there and a lot of them still have tons of members and lots of posts for some reason I could never figure out. :confused:

In one of the forums I mod in a bunch of bad apples almost killed it back in 2001 so we had to kill the off topic part of it. We are still not back to full speed even now 5 years later. :rolleyes:

JANKERSON
07-11-06, 15:31
The people who can spoil forum communities are usually narcissists or have enlarged ego's. They think they know everything. I wonder if they realise how ridiculous they look.

They don't and that is the problem. ROFL

But what tends to happen is they attract others like them then the forum tends to go down hill because after awhile there are a bunch of members that attack new members etc.

tampi
07-11-06, 15:44
I do not know other forums.
Sometimes made in lack the thread to apologize… :(

@tlr, hello, I didn't want to spoil your conversation yesterday, sorry

Celephais
07-11-06, 15:46
They don't and that is the problem. ROFL

But what tends to happen is they attract others like them then the forum tends to go down hill because after awhile there are a bunch of members that attack new members etc.

I've always enjoyed this parody of forum persona types who engage in flame wars

Flame Warriors (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/)

Search for the types on the handy drop down list in the top right :)

JANKERSON
07-11-06, 15:53
I've always enjoyed this parody of forum persona types

ROFL :D

tampi
07-11-06, 15:54
I've always enjoyed this parody of forum persona types

:eek: He comes to make the purchase in the supermarket and has hidden it in the pants :eek: :whi: :vlol:

jjbennett
07-11-06, 16:25
I belong to a couple of other forums, one is rather like what you said, the other is the complete opposite, someone sent me a DVD last week because we've set up a distribution ring.

I think it depends on the nature of the forum and the amount of people that visit it.

J.

Terminatorvs
07-11-06, 17:12
I know of one forum with absolutely no moderators - it's profane, it's pointless, and everyone keeps spamming everyone there.

Neteru
08-11-06, 02:18
I've always enjoyed this parody of forum persona types who engage in flame wars

Search for the types on the handy drop down list in the top right :)Ah, flame warriors. That's a good site. I read through those a long time ago and recognise many members here, there.

Ikas90
08-11-06, 02:25
Yes, Indeed this site isn't bad like that. No trolls here, its a friendly place. It's because it's about Tomb Raider. If it was about a game like GTA San Andreas, then the threads will be like...
OMG dis gaem is awesum, teh GRAPHICS, teh WEPONS, teh gaemplay is all da best

Neteru
08-11-06, 03:13
We do have trolls, and we do have members who post like that ^.

GodOfLight
08-11-06, 03:32
We do have trolls,

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/LuciferOrion/trolls.jpg

:jmp:

and we do have members who post like that ^.

:vlol: oh yes. and we all know how much GOL loves them :p

Shark_Blade
08-11-06, 03:46
yeah we love people who writes like that once in a while:rolleyes::D

Ikas90
08-11-06, 04:27
I've never really seemed to notice anyone who posts like that. Well, it would be a rarer sight here anyway. Tomb Raider is a different kind of game, one that intelligent people play.

Mad Tony
08-11-06, 06:22
How comes the way people type changes depending on what topic they like? Doesn't it depend on how the person likes to type?

I.E some one might type silly on GTA forums but nice on TRF just because the subject they're talking about?

ivannnnn
08-11-06, 06:39
horrible :o:o:o

thank goodness!!I hope TRF doesnt be like that :)