View Full Version : Mt. Fuji...

laracroft2122
07-11-06, 19:38
...hasn't erupted since about the 1930s

So why is it erupting on Google Earth?:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/6681/mountfujify6.jpg

Mad Tony
07-11-06, 19:38
That doesn't look like it's erupting to me, there doesn't appear to be anything coming out of it.
And you will need to re-size that picture. ;)

laracroft2122
07-11-06, 19:39
That doesn't look like it's erupting to me, there doesn't appear to be anything coming out of it.
And you will need to re-size that picture. ;)

Oh yes (EMBARRESED)

I'll link to it;

jarhead
07-11-06, 19:41
It mgiht still be active and I guess lava just spills out willy nilly, and not in ginormous eruptions

Greenkey2
07-11-06, 19:47
Volcanoes do not have to be erupting contantly to be considered active :)

Actually, a break of 77 years between eruptions is really just a small pause in geological terms...(sorry, didn't mean to frighten anyone living near one of these things ;)).

Nice picture by the way :D

Celephais
07-11-06, 20:04
Actually, a break of 77 years between eruptions is really just a small pause in geological terms...(sorry, didn't mean to frighten anyone living near one of these things ;)).

I don't want to go too far off topic but I actually remember feeling the explosion of Mt St Helens in Washington State in 1980. I lived in Victoria BC , Canada at the time, which is about maybe 30 miles or so away. Just an ordinary day, when we hear this muffled boom, the house shakes briefly and the bedroom door closes by itself. Freaky! :eek: We didn't know what it was though at the time.

Greenkey2
07-11-06, 20:49
^ Now that would be scary :eek:

We have occasional tremors here (it's a honeycomb of old mine workings under where I live) but we've had nothing that violent.

God I'm glad I live in a geologically stable area :D

Angel666
07-11-06, 22:08
I wasn't born yet when Mt. St. Helens went off. All we ever got in California is Earthquakes. When I was seven I slept through one that cracked our house and last time we went back there were three earthquakes in one week. Sorry to get off topic. Doesn't Japan have something like ten earthquakes a day, you just cant feel them?

BlackGrey
07-11-06, 22:55
It mgiht still be active and I guess lava just spills out willy nilly, and not in ginormous eruptions

:vlol: