PDA

View Full Version : 'Enemies of the internet' named

tlr online
08-11-06, 00:28
A list of 13 "enemies of the internet" has been released by human rights group Reporters Without Borders (RSF). The list consists of countries that RSF believes are suppressing freedom of expression on the internet.

The civil liberties pressure group has organised a 24-hour protest, inviting web users to vote for the worst offending countries. For the first time, Egypt has been added to the list while Nepal, Libya and the Maldives have all been removed.

Visitors to the RSF website are also invited to leave a voice message for Yahoo's co-founder Jerry Yang, expressing their views on the firm's involvement in China. RSF has been outspoken in its condemnation of Yahoo. The search engine has been criticised along with other companies for helping the Chinese authorities block access to some online material.

THE 13 COUNTRIES BLACKLISTED

Belarus
Burma
China
Cuba
Egypt
Iran
North Korea
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Vietnam

www.bbc.co.uk
http://www.rsf.org

Catapharact
08-11-06, 00:31
Remember Justin; Not everyone believes in Law and order. There is also Order and Law, and the people don't mind it one bit.

Civil Liberties never consider culture when going about their protests.

Draco
08-11-06, 00:49
Freedom is relative.

Neteru
08-11-06, 02:55
RSF has been outspoken in its condemnation of Yahoo. The search engine has been criticised along with other companies for helping the Chinese authorities block access to some online material.Yahoo have specifically done more than that. They have furnished the Chinese authorities with details of people who write anonymous blogs criticising the Chinese governement, which has resulted in imprisonment for those concerned.

Cochrane
08-11-06, 05:06
Remember Justin; Not everyone believes in Law and order. There is also Order and Law, and the people don't mind it one bit.

That implies that people in e.g. China are actually okay with their websites being blocked and want this to happen. I don't think this is the case.

JANKERSON
08-11-06, 05:27

Exactly correct.

Different cultures have different beliefs and standards that they live by.

That always seems to be overlooked by those types..... :hea:

Satu
08-11-06, 09:48
I was watching an expose about this very thing last night. It focused about the Tank Man of the Tiananmen Square in the 1989 students protests. The reporter showed current university students the infamous photo. Not one of them knew what this picture was. They all thought that it was a mock photo, obviously something that they do not want their citizens to know about.
A search on Yahoo images about Tiananmen Square from China only comes up with 2 pages, which most of those are tourists photos. Yahoo is definitely cencoring what Chinese citizens can access on the web.

Lost_Raider
08-11-06, 16:02
Lol, I'll see the Chinese try...

Its not that hard to get around the stupid censor...I talk to my sister all the time...

Something websites like Google, CNN and Wiki gets blocked, but there are just too many blogs on the net...

tampi
08-11-06, 17:15
I ask myself, if those barriers in Internet will exist form of “cracked”.
That is to say, if in those countries some yes that will have free access to Internet with some software or something.

Somebody knows it?

Cochrane
08-11-06, 18:29
Exactly correct.

Different cultures have different beliefs and standards that they live by.

That always seems to be overlooked by those types..... :hea:
How many chinese that know about it really think that blocking access to sites about, for example, the Tiananmen square massacre is a good idea? What culture really says that access to information is something that should be denied, and if there is one, why should we tolerate this culture?