PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code (Book)

Mad Tony
08-11-06, 06:29
I've just started reading The Da Vinci Code, on about chapter 15 and I really like it, even though I saw the movie earlier this year.

What did you guys think of it?

For me, so far, it's probably one of the best books I've read.

Neteru
08-11-06, 06:33
I haven't read it, but I know it's basically a rehashing of The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail, which I have read.

Mad Tony
08-11-06, 06:35
I haven't read it, but I know it's basically a rehashing of The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail, which I have read.
How can you know that if you've not read it?

Autolycus
08-11-06, 06:35
I'm thinking of seeing the film before reading the book, but having said that i've heard lots of people think the books alot more detailed.

BlackFlame
08-11-06, 06:49
I've just started reading The Da Vinci Code, on about chapter 15 and I really like it, even though I saw the movie earlier this year.

What did you guys think of it?

For me, so far, it's probably one of the best books I've read.

I'm afraid that I found it over-hyped and predictable....

Angels and Demons is better.... in fact of the three Dan Brown books that I read, the Da Vinci code was the weakest.

But each to his own.... that's the joy of books, it doesn't matter what I think if you enjoy it!

Neteru
08-11-06, 07:13
How can you know that if you've not read it?Because I read the recent court case where the authors of HBHG sued him and their publisher for plagiarism. I have also seen a number of documentaries about the book to know that the content is basically as I've said.

ivannnnn
08-11-06, 07:35
I just like the film and the nuns :cln: :wve:

Jamie18
08-11-06, 08:39
I really didn't like it at all.

There were some good ideas but it was very badly executed IMHO.

Some of the paragraphs read like they were taken directly out of a history book, you'd be reading the story and then suddenly it would be listing all these dates and history and what happened, and it completely broke up any flow.

He's not a very skilled writer IMHO.

Shark_Blade
08-11-06, 09:33
I've read it and it's one of my favorite books. I'll elaborate more but now I gotta go dinner with my friend.:)

Rivendell
08-11-06, 09:47
An exciting book which kept me gripped from beginning to end. :tmb:

Angels and Demons was SO much better though!!

Ampersand
08-11-06, 10:01
I haven't read it. The hype put me off, and the book only became famous through stirring up controversy. Dan Brown's writing isn't even that good.

Paperdoll
08-11-06, 10:05
I haven't read it. The hype put me off, and the book only became famous through stirring up controversy. Dan Brown's writing isn't even that good.

Same here. I still want to read it, sometime, although I'm not willing to spend any money on it, I'll probably borrow it from a friend.

Now that made me want to check out that particular book.

Mytly
08-11-06, 10:06
It was an entertaining enough book, but that was pretty much all it was. Basically, it was a book that I read with pleasure once, but not something I would ever want to read again. I would call it forgettable, but unfortunately, because of all the hype and controversy generated by it, there is just no getting away from it, let alone forgetting it.

Satu
08-11-06, 10:14
I found the book intresting enough, however there were cartain parts of the book which I got bored with.

I'm thinking of seeing the film before reading the book, but having said that i've heard lots of people think the books alot more detailed.

Most films don't do any justice to books but this movie was really bad, it lacked everything.:(

Ada the Mental
08-11-06, 11:07
Well I overally liked it,it was gripping and intersting but some parts were way too predictable.Plus, most of the book was spoiled by the media including the ending,thanks to the film's trailer!

I also took it as an interesting "treasure hunt" adventure,I don't give a damn about the religious issues it raises.

i've heard that Angels and Demons is far better and I really want to read it but the Da Vinci Codeis certainly a book I'm not really eager to read again...

Celephais
08-11-06, 11:22
I haven't read it, but the general consensus of people I know who have read it is that it's interesting, but not well written. I did see a documenatry on TV about it though where the factual accuracy of the book is pretty much chewed up, even if the show was presented by Baldrick (Tony Robinson) I'll probably read it at some point albeit not take it overly seriously.

RAID
08-11-06, 11:50
Haven't read the book and don't intend to since I hate readind books. Haven't seen the movie either and I'm not really looking forward to watching it. I heards it sucks.

Kamrusepas
08-11-06, 12:52
I read it a couple of years ago. I liked it, but the hype was a bit too much.

And about the movie: if you haven't read the book, it's the most confusing thing ever.

Mona Sax
08-11-06, 12:58
It's very gripping, but too sensationalistic. The topic is very interesting, so I think a bit more down-to-earth, prosaic approach would've been better. It still managed to lead to lively discussions, though, which is always great.

Ada the Mental
08-11-06, 13:02
It's very gripping, but too sensationalistic. The topic is very interesting, so I think a bit more down-to-earth, prosaic approach would've been better. It still managed to lead to lively discussions, though, which is always great.
I see your point.Sometimes it felt to me that the book takes itself much too seriously...

Thorir
08-11-06, 13:03
I read it a couple of years ago. I liked it, but the hype was a bit too much.

And about the movie: if you haven't read the book, it's the most confusing thing ever.

100% agree! :D
The book was alright. But I wouldnīt have understood a thing of the film if I hadnīt read the book!

I didnīt like Angels and Demons at all, strangely. Pretentious crap.

Mad Tony
08-11-06, 13:05
When I saw the movie, I understood it quite a bit, even though I hadn't read the book.

angelika
08-11-06, 14:04
When I saw the movie, I understood it quite a bit, even though I hadn't read the book.

The movie was 40% of the book. I wouldn't have understood the movie if I hadn't read the book.

Mad Tony
08-11-06, 14:08
The movie was 40% of the book. I wouldn't have understood the movie if I hadn't read the book.
Really?
So far, what I've read, most of it, was in the movie.

Trigger_happy
08-11-06, 16:08
i thought that it was a good book, but it wasnt brilliant. I dont beleiev it though, all the "coincidents"

Shark_Blade
08-11-06, 17:53
the movie attracts me to read the book even more.

george_croft
08-11-06, 18:05
I read the book before it got popular (actually it was considered a flop at the time i read it), and i loved it. But now the bad movie and the game is out, its getting a little bit to much. I cant take the book seriously now, because i see that Dan Brown wont stop milking the cow.
And your right Riv, Angels and demons was excellent.

Anubis_AF
08-11-06, 19:06
A very good book, absolutely worth reading :tmb:

spence
08-11-06, 19:27
Angels and Demons was better IMO. I also liked Deception Point.
Digital Fortress wasn't too bad either.

Lost Angel 21
08-11-06, 19:39
I couldn't get through Angels and Demons (too science-y for me, I absolutely HATE anything to do with science unless it's a computer)

I love the book and movie (I played the game too, not that bad; it stands on it's own between the book and movie.) The book I borrowed form my sister, and I think it's the one thing that got me into all the different ways religious stories can go and why I like Christian mythology-I'm not religious though. It's a shame I have to go to the ortho the day it comes out on DVD...

Greenkey2
08-11-06, 20:37
The book is a good little page-turner, but if you want great literary work look elsewhere ;).

Angels and Demons is the better read - even though it really boils down to exactly the same plot. I mean, in both Angels and Demons AND Da Vinchi Code the first scene is of an old man being killed, and his relative is the female sidekick to the hero!

Dan Brown may be a passable writer but surely he could be inventive than this? :rolleyes:

I can't comment on the film because I've not seen it :p