PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7

ELEN
21-11-06, 20:15
Just tell me I made something stupid :mad:

I installed IE7 and the letters appear blurred. Once I installed it, I had to make some settings about a ClearType thing. Everything I tested was ****, so I disabled it. The letters appear different; something between bold and normal (I would call them "strong"). It was NOT like that before! And the pages appear blurred, but mostly the letters.

Look what I mean. The top image was taken before the upgrade. The bottom image after the upgrade. Can you see the difference? I can!! Notice the "www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat". How do I fix it?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/comparison.jpg

And something else. When you post a reply here, do the letters appear like this? Before the upgrade, the letters here appeared like writing in Notepad. Now they look so **** and it's dizzy!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/comparison02.jpg

Help me :(

jamieoliver22
21-11-06, 20:25
I don't why they added that feature. I hate it myself. There is a setting to disable it though I think, you will have to look around.

I would stick with Firefox myself, its just as good, if not better. But thats my own opinion.

Jamie.

ELEN
21-11-06, 20:27
I have it disabled. The ClearType thing is off. I don't understand why the letters appear semi-bold. It makes me dizzy!

xMiSsCrOfTx
21-11-06, 20:28
Yikes, that is pretty blurry. My guess is when you disabled the Clear Type feature, it did this and set it to the lowest setting. I have no idea though, I've never had a Clear Type thing pop up.

jamieoliver22
21-11-06, 20:32
Its like that all over Vista. It really is annoying and I can't stand it.
I don't think there is much more you can do.. Except go back to IE6 or switch browser? :D

ELEN
21-11-06, 20:36
If I turn this on, everything on my PC becomes blurred (the folders I open, the items on my desktop etc). That's why I have it off. How do I downgrade?

IE7 has nice features, but I really can't stand the letters!

*edit: I have already installed Firefox. I'm using it now. Ahhh... My eyes have been cured :D Anyway, how do I remove IE7 and get back?

Joseph
21-11-06, 20:47
The fonts in Vista (and IE7) are anti-aliased. I guess that is what you mean...

Downgrade? uninstall IE7: Control Panel > Software > At the left side, click on Add/Remove Windows Applications. UNTICK Internet Explorer, Next.

After this, reinstall IE: this time tick Internet Explorer ON, and put the WindowsXP cd in the player when prompted.

ELEN
21-11-06, 20:57
I go to Add/Remove Windows Components and IE has zero capacity. I untick it anyway (as you told me), but I can still see it in Program Files (Start menu). I click it and IE7 opens. I go to the Add/Remove Windows Components and I can still see it there (with zero capacity).

The fonts in Vista (and IE7) are anti-aliased. I guess that is what you mean...

Can I fix it? can I make it look like before?

Joseph
21-11-06, 21:08
If you do not like ClearType text rendering on your monitor, you just need to use the option in the Internet Control Panel to turn it off. Simply uncheck the box.

ELEN
21-11-06, 21:21
I don't have this option, Joseph. My list stops at "Smart image dithering". I'm just reminding you that I don't have it on. I have disabled the ClearType.

Also, I removed IE as you told me. I put the Windows CD in the tray, I ticked IE again and I pressed Next. IE7 again appeared. To tell you the truth, I didn't hear the CD spinning. I even ran the same thing from the CD. But still the same.

btw\ Look. Why does IE have zero?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/ie7ticked.jpg

ELEN
21-11-06, 21:28
I fixed it :jmp: My list is slightly different than yours, Joseph. I have the "Always use ClearType for HTML" option at the top of the list and I didn't notice before :D Woooooooooooooooooohooooooo!!! :tea: Thank you!! :jmp:

daventry
21-11-06, 21:52
Im gonna re-install IE.7 when they release a SP1 Patch to remove the extra Link Bar and Search Bar and Big Dizzy Logo nonsens so that it would look like the normal I.E.6, i hope they do the same with Windows Vista before i even buy it.

We are not a baby to be shown everything in one place with big words, go play TR Legend if you want everything to be told and all things shiny Microsoft. :p

Joseph
21-11-06, 22:10
I fixed it :jmp: My list is slightly different than yours, Joseph. I have the "Always use ClearType for HTML" option at the top of the list and I didn't notice before :D Woooooooooooooooooohooooooo!!! :tea: Thank you!! :jmp:Good! :tmb: That picture was not from my PC, i grabbed it from Internet. I actually have the same as you:

http://www.jozefdekkers.nl/Trforum/Computer/always-use-cleartype.jpg
:)

tombfan91
22-11-06, 04:18
i got it a few hours ago... never had problems with clear type or I E 7.

i thought clear type was suppose to help the letters/words and stuff you read on the internet clearer. it takes you to a set of previews when you install it and you choose witch one your eyes think focuses better for you, but still glad you fixeed your probelms.

ELEN
23-11-06, 04:47
i got it a few hours ago... never had problems with clear type or I E 7.

i thought clear type was suppose to help the letters/words and stuff you read on the internet clearer. it takes you to a set of previews when you install it and you choose witch one your eyes think focuses better for you, but still glad you fixeed your probelms.

I got the same page, but I didn't enable it. However, the letters were strong and the option "Always use ClearType for HTML" was selected. Anyway, as you said, I fixed it!!

Joseph, I see the image you posted above. Have you installed a theme?

Joseph
23-11-06, 06:54
Joseph, I see the image you posted above. Have you installed a theme?No Elen, i have Vista at default. :) So that's the glass theme.

meansizzler
24-11-06, 09:43
I have Outlook 2007, it won't let me disable Cleartype, anyone know why?..

Joseph
24-11-06, 12:59
Do you have Outlook 2007 on XP, or on Vista?

If on XP:

Click Start > Run... > type in: regedit and click OK.
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\C ommon
Add a new DWORD value named "RespectSystemFontSmooth"
Set the value to 1
Close regeditOn Vista, you don't have to click Start > Run... but can type regedit immediately.

That's it. Now when you set the font smoothing to standard you will notice that it will be set to standard in Word 2007 as well.

Chug a Bug
28-11-06, 13:57
Heh I'm stearing well clear of I.E. 7, MS updates keeps wanting me to d/l it but I keep saying no.

I well remember the debacle when I.E 6 first came out, I installed it, big mistake! I had a neverending number of security updates to download, seemingly every day and I was on dialup at the time and some of the updates were huge and took an age to download.

I'll wait till SP1 comes out for it and then I'll think about it. I'm very happy with Opera browser thank you very much Microsoft.

ELEN
28-11-06, 14:51
IE7 is just fine. I disabled the ClearType thing and everything works great now :)

Bokkie
28-11-06, 15:12
I will never install IE7 on my XP.

It's sad that IE7 is integrated into Vista.

Joseph
28-11-06, 15:46
I do not have any complaint about Internet Explorer. Especially not IE7. :)

ELEN
28-11-06, 16:40
I will never install IE7 on my XP.

It's sad that IE7 is integrated into Vista.

You mean that IE7 is not good? Why?

Lord Icon
28-11-06, 16:49
I do not have any complaint about Internet Explorer. Especially not IE7. :)

Me neither.

Cochrane
28-11-06, 18:12
I'm surprised that font antialiasing is getting so much negative comments. Mac OS X has it for all fonts since forever, and I do not ever want to go back to an operating system that hasn't (but since all games require Windows, I have no choice). Especially serif fonts look much better (in fact, they are unbearable without it) that way. ClearType is not my favourite anti-aliasing, as it seems to cause some text to be more fuzzy than necessary, but in my opinion, it's still a good feature to have, and a reason to upgrade to Vista (not a very compelling one, but still).

Bokkie
28-11-06, 18:15
You mean that IE7 is not good? Why?
I don't think it's not good, but it's not good enough for me and I don't need it ;)

It's a shame that M$ force everyone to use IE by shipping it with an OS :mad:

I do not have any complaint about Internet Explorer. Especially not IE7.
OK. But tell me why SpyBot S&D, AdAware and other tools are installed on your computer? I think that IE is the main reason. And it's not fully compatible with the previous IE version (IE6), which was not fully compatible with previous previous IE version (IE 5.5) which was not .... you got the point.

I'll stay with Firefox 2. Stable, fast, secure. I don't have any complaint about Firefox. Have you try it? And why should you when you have IE shipped with an OS :(

Just try and you will see the difference :)

Lord Icon
28-11-06, 18:46
Hi Bokkie. Nice to see you online :wve:

It's a shame that M$ force everyone to use IE by shipping it with an OS :mad:

I don't think they "forcing" anyone to use it. You have Windows and you're not using it.

Besides how would you get any other browser after installing Windows or getting a new computer if you wouldn't have a browser with your OS to start with? You need a browser to download a browser. You would have to go to a friend or Internet Cafe to download it and transfer it into your computer. Rather inconvenient don't you think :)

Also some other OSes have browsers included with them. It's not just Windows.

Bokkie
28-11-06, 20:29
Hello Lord Icon :wve:

Long time no seen :)

Let me put this way ;)

I'm saying that IE is shipped with Windows. No other browsers are shipped with Windows although they're free.

On Linux, you have several browsers shipped with the distribution (such as Konqueror, Firefox, Opera, etc). You MAY choose the browser(s) you want to install. You may even choose to install without any browser (not sure who will do that, but at least it's an option).

You have no such options in Windows. Most of people are sticked to IE without trying any other alternatives (which may be uninstalled if no good). You can't even uninstall IE.

In Europe, it is decided that Windows Media Player MAY NOT be embedded in Windows (and M$ payed a lot of money for that penalty). There are lot of very good (some even better) alternative software such as WinAmp, Real Player, Quick Time and many more.

I'm not sure that it is possible to ship Windows without IE, because IE is too much integrated into it ad that is a common security problem in Windows. That's why we need Windows Defender and other utilities.

I'm not using IE, I don't have IE-based "fixing" utilities, I don't have Windows Defender, and believe me or not, I don't have any problems with my computer.

Lord Icon
28-11-06, 21:31
I'm saying that IE is shipped with Windows. No other browsers are shipped with Windows although they're free.

Maybe that's because MS, as a company it is, wants to promote their own products. All companies do that, they always did and they always will.

On Linux, you have several browsers shipped with the distribution (such as Konqueror, Firefox, Opera, etc). You MAY choose the browser(s) you want to install. You may even choose to install without any browser (not sure who will do that, but at least it's an option).You have no such options in Windows.

Yes, it would be nice if Windows had a selection of browsers. But as I said you can download many other browsers and use them. IE will not bother them. Even in this case you, as user, are still in control of what you will use. Besides MS didn't make any other browser so they would probably get sued for including them in a product that they sell.

Most of people are sticked to IE without trying any other alternatives (which may be uninstalled if no good). You can't even uninstall IE.

People that choose not to try alternatives are the ones that, usually, go online just to read the news or check the weather report. So they don't see any point of wasting their time in looking for something different since what they have does the job they need to do. Or because they prefer IE over the other browsers (if they tried them).

You can uninstall IE. It's tricky but not impossible. I have a copy of XP which has absolutely no extras (IE, WMP etc). Just the OS. I made it for my gaming machine. I agree that they could add easy removal option but IE's core is needed for live update of OS. That's how the OS itself is built.

In Europe, it is decided that Windows Media Player MAY NOT be embedded in Windows (and M$ payed a lot of money for that penalty). There are lot of very good (some even better) alternative software such as WinAmp, Real Player, Quick Time and many more.

And again, it's not that you, as user, don't have any choice. You can use whatever came with the OS or download something else. It's not like the OS itself doesn't allow you to install it. Same thing in the case of WMP (which case I find rediculus). Now that Vista for Europe is "crafted" in this way, no extras, shouldn't be a problem, should it? But by the way, finally, MS said to EU that if they will pull again this kind of **** with Vista 55,000 jobs that Vista is about to create in EU the first year and 1 million other jobs that MS (2000/XP) created already there will be in danger. Something that EU can't afford with its big unemployment problem. That was the response from MS to the EU's stupidity. Which that's what it is since there is always a choice a user can make.

I'm not sure that it is possible to ship Windows without IE, because IE is too much integrated into it ad that is a common security problem in Windows. That's why we need Windows Defender and other utilities.

If we all move to Firefox or some other browser we'll need those utilities anyway. Hackers' attacks will never stop either we use IE, Firefox or something else. They will find a way.

I'm not using IE, I don't have IE-based "fixing" utilities, I don't have Windows Defender, and believe me or not, I don't have any problems with my computer.

The bottom line is that the user has the final word about what he or she will use regardless of what's included in the package. You are the perfect example my friend. Having something included is just a convenience for people that have no time to look for something else, don't care what they're using, not using something enough to make any difference to them or have no knowledge of computers (they use computers just because they have to).

:wve:

Bokkie
29-11-06, 07:11
Lord Icon :wve:

Maybe that's because MS, as a company it is, wants to promote their own products. All companies do that, they always did and they always will.
I agree, but that is not a promotion because user is forced to have it. Why they do not ship Office with Windows then? ;)

People that choose not to try alternatives are the ones that, usually, go online just to read the news or check the weather report. So they don't see any point of wasting their time in looking for something different since what they have does the job they need to do. Or because they prefer IE over the other browsers (if they tried them).
Agree. And that's what M$ exactly wants :)

You can uninstall IE. It's tricky but not impossible.
For a user that goes online to check the wather report I think it's impossible.

Now that Vista for Europe is "crafted" in this way, no extras, shouldn't be a problem, should it? But by the way, finally, MS said to EU that if they will pull again this kind of **** with Vista 55,000 jobs that Vista is about to create in EU the first year and 1 million other jobs that MS (2000/XP) created already there will be in danger. Something that EU can't afford with its big unemployment problem. That was the response from MS to the EU's stupidity.
I think that M$ should be divided into several companies (one that is producing an OS, one that is producing WMP & IE, one producing Office, etc). And that's what I call a monopoly - do you think that M$ is strong enough to rule the Europe? There are a lot of Windows customers in EU, maybe even more than is USA!

If we all move to Firefox or some other browser we'll need those utilities anyway. Hackers' attacks will never stop either we use IE, Firefox or something else. They will find a way.
I agree with that, but the problem with IE is that it's embeded into an OS, which means that when IE is vulnerable, OS is also vulnerable. Can you realize that IE6 was on the market for several years and that IE7 is produced when Firefox used a significant part of the market. If there was no Firefox, I think IE7 would not be released.

Having something included is just a convenience for people that have no time to look for something else, don't care what they're using, not using something enough to make any difference to them or have no knowledge of computers
And those people are the most vulnerable to hackers. That's my point.

Joseph
29-11-06, 07:32
OK. But tell me why SpyBot S&D, AdAware and other tools are installed on your computer? I think that IE is the main reason. And it's not fully compatible with the previous IE version (IE6), which was not fully compatible with previous previous IE version (IE 5.5) which was not .... you got the point.
Hello Bokkie. Isn't SpyBot S&D, AdAware and other tools needed on other browsers as well? :confused:
And why would IE7 need to be ' compatible' with IE6 i don't understand... because it is one or the other, no? :)

ivannnnn
29-11-06, 07:35
I really don't like dirty words :pi: :pi:

Joseph
29-11-06, 07:43
I really don't like dirty words :pi: :pi:What is that supposed to mean in relation to this subject, Ivann? :confused:

Bokkie
29-11-06, 11:24
Hello Bokkie. Isn't SpyBot S&D, AdAware and other tools needed on other browsers as well? :confused:
And why would IE7 need to be ' compatible' with IE6 i don't understand... because it is one or the other, no? :)
Joseph :wve:

Yes, other tools may also scan other browsers as well, but I never got any errors in other browsers (FF and Opera).

Do you remember the popup picture function on TRC site (IE6/IE7)? ;)

There are lot of other similar non-compatible stuff, believe me :)

Joseph
29-11-06, 12:42
Oh i believe you, Bokkie. And yes i remember what you mean (the popup picture function on TRC site (IE6/IE7)). The Java functionality was not OK. But you solved it! :tmb:

Lord Icon
29-11-06, 13:21
Bokkie :wve:

I agree, but that is not a promotion because user is forced to have it. Why they do not ship Office with Windows then? ;)

I think Office Suite is a bit different than IE which is just a browser. Also because of the many functionalities that Office offers makes it a "specialized" tool and as such not all the computer users need. It's exactly what its name says: Office. IE on the other hand is a tool (a browser) that vast majority of people using computer needs. That's why IE or some other browser should be offered with an OS.

For a user that goes online to check the wather report I think it's impossible.

Absolutely. I can do it, you can do it but average user can't. I agree with you 100%. There should be an option to easy remove many things from an OS. In case of IE though it's not an option because IE is needed for Live Updates. If they didn't use it for it they would have to have another means of updating, much like antivirus programs, an internal server. Which obviously would be just as good for hackers to do their dirty work.

I think that M$ should be divided into several companies (one that is producing an OS, one that is producing WMP & IE, one producing Office, etc).

They do have not only different divisions for WMP, for IE, for Office (in this case they do have several) but also they have many divisions for the OS itself. Each part of the OS is made by a different team. So in essence there are "different companies" under the same administration. All big multinational corporations are arranged that way.

So I guess we should "divide" also Mitsubishi (makes: cars, stereo systems, TVs, trains, part for fighter jets and other airplanes and many other things) or Sony (makes: TVs, stereo systems, consoles, all kinds of other gadgets, and many other things found around a household) or Apple (no need to mention how many things they make). And every other big corporation. When a company grows that's what they do... they expand. That's what built the western world and that's why we all enjoy those things.

And that's what I call a monopoly

Monopoly is when there is only one company offering a product and the customer or the user has no other choice. There are many companies making OSes, browsers, cars, stereo systems etc. I do agree that big corporations try to monopolize the markets they're in. The only way they could succeed that though is by buying every other company offering products they do. A difficult task if not impossible. As long as the user has a choice it's not monopoly but competition.

I'm not for monopoly in any way. I have enough sense to know that when one corporation monopolizes the market we, the end users, loose.

I agree with that, but the problem with IE is that it's embeded into an OS, which means that when IE is vulnerable, OS is also vulnerable.

No doubt about it. It is vulnerable. Also there is no doubt that there is not such thing as a "safe" OS or browser. The minute you go online you're a subject to hacker's attack or other kinds of malicious activities.

Always nice talking to you my friend :wve:

Bokkie
29-11-06, 15:02
Lord Icon, Joseph :wve:

I know you have try other browsers and found that you prefer IE, which is fine :) However, I found that Firefox is much better than IE, and Firefox is my choice ;)

I'm just telling that most of people are using IE without even trying to use some other browsers because they think that IE is absolutely great and they didn't give any chance to alternatives. The main reason for that is that IE comes with Windows. Why I must have it when I don't need it?

Lord Icon
29-11-06, 15:28
Bokkie :wve:

I understand what you're saying. And I respect that. I don't use IE itself but IE based browser. I do like the IE engine and I do like even more the functions that the alternative browser I use has to offer. I never had any problems with this combination. If they'll screw up in the next version (which it looks pretty possible) I'll switch to something else. On the other hand I do know how to protect myself regardless of what browser I use.

And yes I have tried almost all available browsers for Windows. Otherwise I wouldn't be judging them. It's not in my character.

Cochrane
29-11-06, 16:10
It's a good thing that a browser is integrated into the operating system. It is such a basic item of using a computer now, and it also is something very important as a feature for a lot of software of any kind. The only problem I have with Microsoft is that the browser they integrate with the OS sucks. IE7 hardly sucks as much as IE5 and 6 ever did, and I certainly hope that it will replace them more or less completely in time, but compared to Firefox or Safari (both of which are either completely open-source or have an open-source core, so they could be integrated into Windows if someone wanted really bad), it still lags behind in many areas.

As for monopoly: Microsoft has one. Not as in 100% of the market, but quite close. Neither Mac OS X nor Linux are, at the moment, real dangers for them, except maybe in secondary areas (like servers for Linux). That is why they can delay a new operating system for three years, while their competitors have three releases (Mac OS X) or many, many more (Linux), without feeling real pain over this.

Splitting Microsoft, however, would not do much to help here. There is not much value in any tight integration between Windows and Office that would be stopped (in fact, there is Office for Mac OS X, too, and it rocks). Making a split between Microsoft+Windows and Microsoft+Office would still keep both as market leaders in their respective markets. Any split would have to be horizontally, i.e. Microsoft Part 1 of 3 makes a desktop OS, Microsoft Part 2 of 3 makes a desktop OS and Microsoft Part 3 of 3 makes a desktop OS, too. While this is at least a possibility for infrastructure (like what was done to the British rail system or American telecommunications), I do not see how this could work for software at all.

Chug a Bug
29-11-06, 18:43
I'm with Bokkie on this one. Opera is a better browser than I.E., in my opinion at least, but the main reason I switched was for security reasons: I was getting infected with Spyware on regular basis with I.E. and I'm not talking about the simple autodialers and the such like that SpyBot can deal with I'm talking about serious infections such as CWS that are a nightmare to try and eradicate without commercial software. Since I switched I've had absolutely no spyware infections at all other than tracking cookies and it's simple enough to flush them out.

It's a good thing that a browser is integrated into the operating system. It is such a basic item of using a computer now, and it also is something very important as a feature for a lot of software of any kind.

I disagree there: I agree thats it's important that a brower be installed with the operating system, but actually integrating it so that it's so embedded that it's difficult to remove is different matter entirely. Its the same thing with Windows Media Player: the European Court ruled that it was monopolising on Microsoft's part and I agree with that. Personally I don't use it: there are much better/more compact media players out there and I don't need the distended bloatware that is WMP 9/10 but again I'm stuck with it.

Now it is possible to remove WMP and I.E using a program called XPlite but its commercial software and I still have to leave I.E installed because there are some software that won't even install unless it's present and Adobe Acrobat's webpage conversion plugin only works with I.E, so I'm stuck with it.

I agree again with Bokkie: it is an attempt to create a monopoly on Microsoft's part: by offering these things free with Windows they effectitively kill any commercial competition with their products. Remember Netscape? A nice little company that once sold a web browser that MS effectively eliminated by offering I.E. free with Windows simply because they could.

Cochrane
29-11-06, 19:00
I'm talking from a developers point of view here. Having a web browser reliably installed on any system that I target can make life a whole lot easier.

Nearly every program that accesses the internet these days requires some of the functionality of a Web browser. E-mail-clients, RSS readers, all modern help systems, anything that can output to a website and wants a life preview and of course the widget systems that are in or coming to all operating systems, all these things need to have a web browser available. They can certainly write their own or integrate a freely available (i.e. Mozilla) one, and for some cases (especially when a program has to be cross-platform), that is the best way to go.

But having a browser in the system that you can rely on being there is going to make lots of this considerably more easy. It also improves reliability: If a securite hole is found, it can and will be fixed for all applications using the component at the same time, using the OS's built-in update technology.

In operating systems, there is a clear trend towards making things that used to be third-party integrated into the system. Multimedia, like Microsoft's Media Player, or Apple's Quicktime are examples for this just like RAD frameworks like .NET and Cocoa, which make things like Delphi far less useful. While such developments always make some people unhappy, they are a good thing for many other developers.

Karri
03-12-06, 14:38
What's wrong with ClearType. You get used to it. It makes the fonts look better on LCD screens. I don't know, I think it looks relaxing, heh. I use it, I fell in love with it the minute I installed my first Linux.

IE7, on the other hand, is simply horrible. Save your system and don't use it.

Anubis_AF
03-12-06, 14:40
I tried it for few hours and couldn't stand it. It makes me dizzy.

daventry
03-12-06, 14:54
I wonder how Long and many Games or PC Products will say you have to use Internet Explorer 7 (Especially Windows Vista & DirectX 10) because im not looking forward to I.E.7, but i do hope Windows Vista will look like Windows XP in a way, because i read somewhere that the new Games require DX10 that only works for Windows Vista and probably there will be Games only for Windows Vista.

Joseph
03-12-06, 15:08
Daventry: besides the deserved criticism over IE7 posted in this thread, it is a fine browser. There are more safety measures built in, same has been done overall in Vista. No reason to fear games are affected by that. As to DirectX10: games written for DX10, will have on the box in the system requirements that a DX10 card is required. As long as 99,99% of all people on the world still are using a Directx9.0c card (or lower) i don't expect many specific DirectX10 games will be released soon.
But because DX10 is a significant step forwards, people buying new hardware will move to it, just a question of time.

daventry
27-02-07, 09:22
I just gave Internet Explorer 7 another try and everything is bold and the Whole New Internet Site thing makes me wanna throw up (like that Warning they give you when you get a New Game)

You can alter the type.
I did that and everything is still semi bold and fuzzy.

I also cant move the Stop and Refresh Buttons to the left.

Theres a Live Search Feature that wont go away.

Theres a Tab that shows the Website Address, i already have one on top.

So i geuss Windows Vista is also the same as IE7 with bubbly icons and stuff, show me your Windows Vista with the Start Icons on, i want to see what the Desktop looks like.

Joseph
27-02-07, 09:36
Daventry your links are giving me the forum's main page. :confused:

daventry
27-02-07, 09:41
Daventry your links are giving me the forum's main page. :confused:You have to discuss that with Justin, everytime i go to old Webpages, they give me the Forum Main Page.

Joseph
27-02-07, 09:47
Look here is my Vista RC2 Desktop. Default settings.

Click me! (http://www.jozefdekkers.nl/Trforum/Computer/Vistarc2-mydesktop.jpg) <<<1600x1200, 355kB.

You have to discuss that with Justin, everytime i go to old Webpages, they give me the Forum Main Page.No. That is because your links say a certain page in a thread, and i have different page settings than you have. I have 40 posts per page. So you should always link to the thread's first page OR to a specific post (using the #number as link) , but NOT to a threadpage.

daventry
27-02-07, 09:55
Look here is my Vista RC2 Desktop. Default settings.

Click me! (http://www.jozefdekkers.nl/Trforum/Computer/Vistarc2-mydesktop.jpg) <<<1600x1200, 355kB.

No. That is because your links say a certain page in a thread, and i have different page settings than you have. I have 40 posts per page. So you should always link to the thread's first page OR to a specific post (using the #number as link) , but NOT to a threadpage.Windows Vista looks cool, the Menu Bar stuff is sort of invisible and bubbly. It looks completly diffrent then IE7.

Thats what i just did, i selected the Number Post and posted to you and then all of a sudden it shows the Front Page of the Board.

Joseph
27-02-07, 10:26
#50 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1609464&postcount=50) <---click on it. See? I just linked to your previous post. :)

Internet Explorer 7 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003) (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003) 2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003&page=2)) <--- this is the whole thread, works too.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003 <-- this is the URL of the thread, works too.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003&page=2 <---This is the URL of page 2 on MY PC. See the "page 2"? A link like this is probably not working for people who have 80 posts per page because they wouldn't have a "page 2" in this thread :whi: so they get dumped to the forum main page.

daventry
27-02-07, 10:46
#50 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1609464&postcount=50) <---click on it. See? I just linked to your previous post. :)

Internet Explorer 7 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003) (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003) 2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003&page=2)) <--- this is the whole thread, works too.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003 <-- this is the URL of the thread, works too.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=79003&page=2 <---This is the URL of page 2 on MY PC. See the "page 2"? A link like this is probably not working for people who have 80 posts per page because they wouldn't have a "page 2" in this thread :whi: so they get dumped to the forum main page.Ok so where can i change my Settings to view more Pages in a Thread, i think i asked it somewhere before.

Joseph
27-02-07, 10:49
User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options.

Now can we get back to your initial problem with IE7?

daventry
27-02-07, 10:53
Now can we get back to your initial problem with IE7?You took the line right out of my mouth :p

Joseph
27-02-07, 11:13
Well can you post your IE7 screenshots then, so i can see what you mean?

The_Terminator
27-02-07, 14:00
I have found in my experience that clear type is not the greatest on CRT monitors. But for LCD flat panels, it's the greatest thing!

I'm curious, how many users in this thread that dislike clear type are using CRT's and how many are using LCD's?

And another vote for IE7. I use it all the time, and don't really have any substantial complaints. Most spyware comes from visiting nefarious websites or downloading craplets like weatherbug? How many people here are sure that they are exercising healthy browsing habits while on the internet?

I'm surprised by the people that have the talent for getting spyware within their first 4 hours of using the internet.:)

The_Terminator
27-02-07, 14:02
Hey Joseph, nice screenshot you took there.
Just curious though: why do you like to keep the ATI tray tools active? do you alter your ATI settings that often that you need that thing running in the background? Just curious.

Joseph
27-02-07, 14:52
No, i just never bothered to remove it from startup items... and it doesn't disturb me being started up.

To your other questions: i use CRT monitor (Eizo Flexscan T965).

And yes, i have quite healthy browsing habits. But spyware comes from many websites, and not only the bad ones.

daventry
27-02-07, 15:11
I think i handled the Cleartype thing, Heres a Screenshot with my IE7 surrounded by red lines and my Questions.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/chrisdaventry/?action=view&current=01.png

Joseph
27-02-07, 15:29
Q: "I also cant move the Stop and Refresh Buttons to the left." <--your red line is wrong: those buttons belong to the address bar, not to the Google bar. No, i can't move those buttons. Right-click on them > Move > doesn't work.

Q: "Theres a Live Search Feature that wont go away." <---that is the awesome Windows Explorer Search function, you don't want that away. :) But if you want: click on the dropdown arrow > Change Search defaults > button Remove.

Q: "Theres a Tab that shows the Website Address, i already have one on top." <--you can close tabs you don't want.

daventry
27-02-07, 16:02
So how do i move the Stop and Refresh Buttons to the left.

I did try and remove that Search Feature completly, but it asks me to make another default Search function and i dont want one.

I closed the Extra Tab completly, now i have my normal Address Bar.

How do i take away those two tiny Stars on the left.

I realised the Address Bar is on top, i want the File - Edit - View - Favourites - Tools - Help Buttons on Top and the Address Bar in the Middle, it wont move.

Whats with the Magnefying Glass at the bottom right, how do i remove that.

Joseph
27-02-07, 16:11
Q: "So how do i move the Stop and Refresh Buttons to the left." No, you can't move those buttons. Right-click on them > Move > doesn't work.

Q: "How do i take away those two tiny Stars on the left." <--you can't.

I realised the Address Bar is on top, i want the File - Edit - View - Favourites - Tools - Help Buttons on Top and the Address Bar in the Middle, it wont move. <--you can't.

Whats with the Magnefying Glass at the bottom right, how do i remove that. <--you can't.

Lew
27-02-07, 16:13
I prefer that feature.... makes it look more stylish :D

Angelus
27-02-07, 16:14
IE7 runs perfectly for me, and it always has. :confused:

daventry
27-02-07, 16:48
I prefer that feature.... makes it look more stylish :DWell i removed it :pIE7 runs perfectly for me, and it always has. :confused:It still goes the same for me :)

Apofiss
27-02-07, 16:50
4 best things about IE7; text anti-aliasing (which i so so perfect when monitor's pixel size is 0.20mm), multi-tab system >>> addictive and handy as never before, the way favourites are being sorted and page zoom function *thumbs up* ...oh and ie7 supports alpha-channel with *.png, very nice.