PDA

View Full Version : How to delete system restore point?

Aurimas
24-11-06, 10:02

EscondeR
24-11-06, 10:11
Do you want to delete one exact restore point or all before some date?

Aurimas
24-11-06, 10:39

EscondeR
24-11-06, 10:57
If I'm not mistaken on NTFS it's hard to delete exact restore point as you have no access to x:\system volume information. You can try to take ownership on this folder and then enter it:

-- Edit --
FIRST OF ALL: BE CAREFUL, THINK CREATIVELY, NOT DESTRUCTIVELY
--

So first make System files and folder visible in your explorer: Menu > Service > Folder properties > View

Then right click the System Volume Information folder on the drive needed and select Security tab, set access not only for system but for yourself also.

Then enter the folder, enter _restorexxxxxxx folder and search for RPxx folder in there with exact date (and number if a few).
Then delete ONLY THIS folder RPxx!

Then set access to System Volume Information folder for System only, not to kill smth important ;)

EscondeR
24-11-06, 11:25
Tell me about results: if you find what you want...

Joseph
24-11-06, 13:46
You can either delete all restore points except the latest one, or all the restore points.

To delete all restore points except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. Click on the more options tab and then select Clean up in the System Restore dialog box.

To delete all the restore points on your computer, disable and re-enable system restore on the system. Click Start, Control Panel, and then the System icon. Click on the System Restore tab in the dialog box, select the Turn off System Restore check box, and click Apply. Clear the check box again to re-enable System Restore and then click OK.

Aurimas
24-11-06, 20:18

Anubis_AF
24-11-06, 20:53
It's not hard at all, here, I took two screenshots to demonstrate Joseph's words:
1st way:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/Anubis-AF/Ostalo/system.jpg

2nd way:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/Anubis-AF/Ostalo/system2.jpg

EscondeR
24-11-06, 21:39
But Aurimas asked how to delete one exact restore point...

Joseph
25-11-06, 01:05
Thanks for the screensots Anubis! :tmb:

Aurimas
25-11-06, 10:17

Lord Icon
25-11-06, 12:55
Not all just one exact.

As Joseph already said: you can either delete all restore points except the latest one, or all the restore points. You cannot choose to delete one particular restore point.

Joseph
25-11-06, 15:36
Well actually you can, Lord Icon. Windows is not very co-operative, but if you persist you can open the directory just like Esconder says, to selectively delete some subfolders containing the sr points. But seeing the reaction of: Oh I think it is to hard for me, thanks anyway.i wouldn't bother to spend 1 second on this. :)

EscondeR
25-11-06, 17:52
I thought it would go as I've posted complete instructions ;)

Joseph
25-11-06, 18:18
Yeah, but if someone does not feel comfortable handling hidden system files in Windows it stops there. In essence, i think poster desired a button or certain menu-options to handle seperate SR points (which would be much more user friendly), and those don't exist.

EscondeR
25-11-06, 18:25
...and those don't exist.

Blame Bill Gates :D