PDA

View Full Version : Gamers prepared to give up kids for new console

Sam Burke
01-12-06, 19:36
A radio gag offering a PlayStation 3 for any listeners who gave up their kids backfired on the radio show's host as over a dozen listeners rang up to accept the offer.

Dave Ryan, the host of Minnesota's KDWB morning show, said that he would give a PS3 to anyone who would hand over their baby for 24 hours. But what was supposed to be a joke mocking just how far people would be prepared to go to get a PS3, was taken seriously by many listeners.

Those who rang up included a woman prepared to let her child go for three days saying that she was going to sell the PS3 to save money for holidays. The ages of the children varied with a one-month-old baby being offered up in exchange for the next-gen console.

Games Radar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20061130153619562022&releaseId=20060314132311609002)

Lara's Boy
01-12-06, 19:38
:eek: People are so unbelievable these days! Even if it was serious, and was for only 24 hours, I can't imagine what would actually motivate a parent to offer their own flesh and blood for a silly console!

Clara [CA]
01-12-06, 19:56
:eek: People are so unbelievable these days!
I'm not sure this is actually a modern thing. There's always been parents ready to give their children for some money. The only difference is that nowadays we hear about them...

VonCroy360
01-12-06, 19:57
Well, I know I would give my parents for it... :ton:

Jk, anyway... this doesn't suprise me at all, it happens all the time...

danitiwa
01-12-06, 19:57
People today.... :whi:

Lenochka
01-12-06, 20:39
Hell i would give up a kid for a PS3... there not giving the child up for good :whi: only for a few days... and this is with a radio host... I would trust them with my kid with EOB ( Radio personalty from around my area ) i have been listening to him for years :) he seems like a good guy. Just think of it as day care ;)

Bullethail
01-12-06, 20:53
I can understand it. Look, wouldn't you accept a free very valuable item just for a day with the radio station babysitting your kid? All these people thought, "that's not bad!" You'd send your kid to camp for much longer, in exchange for absolutley nothing. This sounds much better to them.

Lara's Boy
01-12-06, 21:06
']I'm not sure this is actually a modern thing. There's always been parents ready to give their children for some money. The only difference is that nowadays we hear about them...

That comment was more in line with trading it in for a console. Consoles are quite modern, and I am aware that the behavior itself is not :wve:

only Croft
01-12-06, 21:26
Some people are just too adictid, the new form of drug: the internet :mad:

Mad Tony
01-12-06, 22:11
Some people are just too adictid, the new form of drug: the internet :mad:
This is about a console, a radio station and a baby.
No mention of the internet at all.

Clara [CA]
02-12-06, 14:45
That comment was more in line with trading it in for a console.
Yeah, I thought it was that, after leaving my comment... Sorry I misunderstood. :wve:
The more I think about it, the more I'm shocked by the reasons. I mean, the woman wanted money for holidays (if it was true), I don't get how someone can even think that way ! And I'm not even talking about the console :rolleyes:

PirateRose
02-12-06, 16:59
Eh, parents have been giving their kids up for money for ages. They sell them as sex slaves , sgive them up to hard labor in cold mines. But those are parents who have no money at all. Although I'm shocked to hear parents giving up their children for money, when it happens in a place like America, were most of the people are living very comfortably, its even more shocking because its clearly a thing of greed. Then again, I've always thought people in America are greedy.

I wouldn't trust a radio DJ with my kid. You don't know who that guy really is, he's paid to be on the radio to act like your best friend. He's trained to seem like a real nice guy.

In addition to the fact, it was a Joke and those people took it seriously? There's something very wrong with that.

interstellardave
02-12-06, 19:50
It's probably not about being greedy, and probably definitely not about being Americans (always love a good slam against an entire populace that I happen to be a part of) :hea: Anyway, there are many poor people in America too, but I suspect that (and this occurs everywhere in the world) these people are just plain "not all there". Some people don't have an ounce of sense, or an ounce of responsibility in them. And some have real mental problems, whether diagnosed or not. Not sure where all of these people fit in that spectrum. Also, some callers may have been having a bit of fun with the hosts themselves--did anyone think about that?

PirateRose
02-12-06, 21:16
Also, some callers may have been having a bit of fun with the hosts themselves--did anyone think about that?

Thats also very true! XD

TR FAN 18
02-12-06, 21:24
I cannot believe the lengths people go to in order to get a PS3.

Trading a kid for a PS3? So very bad. :rolleyes:

PS3s are also being sold on eBay for 1000+!