PDA

View Full Version : Athlon XP/64

amitabha
05-12-06, 23:37
Soon I will be building my own PC. Mainly for rigging and modeling 3d models. I know the Athlon 64 CPU's are far more powerful than the althon XP, but was wondering if using a athlon xp processor would be accepting now days. They are much cheaper. :D

Joseph
05-12-06, 23:45
You would be profiting the price drop yes. But is price your main concern? :)

amitabha
06-12-06, 00:00
yes, price is a pretty important factor. Not only am I investing money into building a PC, but I also plan on buying some expensive software. :p

Joseph
06-12-06, 00:18
Performance too much to ask? :)
I mean: why not considering Intel Core2Duo?

amitabha
06-12-06, 00:23
nah, I'm defiantly considering lots of ram, hard drive space, and an above average video card. If I were to buy a 64 athlon, I'd have to go with one of the less expensive options. However, I'm looking into a overclocked athlon xp 3200. I'm not sure though.

abraham
06-12-06, 01:11
NOO DONT GET A AMD,big mistake, take intel becuase its way faster with 3ds max ect and 2gigs of ram will be heaps.

Also grafix cards do not count at all,even the most crappy one will do.So only looking for a Intel core 2 duo extreme?? and 2gigs of ram with a good motherboard.

EscondeR
06-12-06, 05:45
NOO DONT GET A AMD,big mistake, take intel becuase its way faster with 3ds max ect and 2gigs of ram will be heaps.

This is very DOUBTFUL :mis:
Look for comparison test for Intel and AMD 64 X2 ;) 3DSM is not the only reason to choose a CPU...

Chug a Bug
06-12-06, 09:41
Noooooooo! AMD's are definately not inferior to Intel! It's true that Intel's Core 2 Duo processors are top 'o' the heap just now, but if you're looking for something not quite so high spec then AMD's processors are definately superior to any of Intel's equivalent offerings. And it's certainly not true that any old graphics card will do, not if you intend playing any of the more recently games at any rate: performance is a combination of graphics card and CPU.

Personally I'd avoid the XP processors: they aren't even manufactured anymore they're definately yesterday's technology. The Athlon 64's are vastly better, I know, I've owned Athlon XP and Athlon 64 bit processors. Why spend a lot of money on software and then skimp on a poor processor?

If it was me and I was on a tight budget then I'd look for a used Athlon 64 processor rather than a new XP, they can picked up for instance on eBay for not a lot of money, I know I sold my old one there. Motherboards too and they can picked up for not a lot of money new too, with the advent of the Core 2 Duo everyone is selling their old hardware to upgrade, myself included.

Joseph
06-12-06, 12:49
Read: Intel's Core 2 Extreme & Core 2 Duo: The Empire Strikes Back (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795)

Review | Jul 14th, 2006 12:00 AM
After years of releasing slow and power hungry processors, Intel is finally back. We give you the full scoop on the new lean but powerful Core 2 processor line.

Source: Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/).

For rendering you want the most efficient processor, amitabha. :)

amitabha
06-12-06, 19:41
thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful :)

jamieoliver22
06-12-06, 20:09
I am currenlty running on an old Athlon XP and I tell you what, it is still one hell of a processor. I know its not the best, but it still performs great (mainly in higher end gaming). I am a fan of AMD myself and find that they are great processors.

Jamie.

abraham
06-12-06, 22:56
omg you guys you dont know nothing about using high pwered applications,NOT GAMES!!!! i mean like 3ds max and maya they work way better with intel's cpus, im on amd 3200+ and its fine for me but yea it slower once i build larger more detailed 3d meshes and stuff in 3ds max to render it, and omg render takes long time to render.

if anything just stick with intel please. remember gaming is different then runing high powerfull applications.

EscondeR
07-12-06, 04:33
I am currenlty running on an old Athlon XP and I tell you what, it is still one hell of a processor. I know its not the best, but it still performs great (mainly in higher end gaming). I am a fan of AMD myself and find that they are great processors.

So am I :wve: :hug:

amitabha
07-12-06, 21:15
im trying to decide between an athlon xp 3200 or a pentium 4 3Ghz. Yes, i'm going cheap because thats how i am. :D

EscondeR
08-12-06, 05:37
im trying to decide between an athlon xp 3200 or a pentium 4 3Ghz. Yes, i'm going cheap because thats how i am. :D

What amount of cash you can spend on CPU+Mainboard+Mem?

BTW, read this: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/amd-athlonxp3200/index.html

JANKERSON
08-12-06, 06:00
If building a new system now Intel is the only way to go with the Core 2 Duo. Even the lowest E6300 blows away just about anything AMD has to offer now unless you have a grand to spend on a CPU then they are about equal. The E6300 Costs about $185 BTW.

You get what you pay for with computers. ;)