PDA

View Full Version : Network key problems

amitabha
09-12-06, 17:46
My sister gets a internet connection in room with the "Homenet" network. This network shows up on my laptop in my room, but requires a network key. I have no idea what the network key is, neither does my sister. Is there a network key decoder program I could use or is that illegal?

Joseph
09-12-06, 18:07
Have you set up a local network?

amitabha
09-12-06, 18:08
I just use wireless?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 18:27
The key is stored in your router's setup program. If you want to connect to the local network you need to enter that key to be allowed to use its resources.

What router do you have?

amitabha
09-12-06, 18:32
oh ok, where would the router setup folder be located?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 18:35
oh ok, where would the router setup folder be located?

To access the setup program of a router you just need an access to computer that the router is connected to (actually you could access it from any computer on the network as long as that computer has the right to access network's resources), a web browser and the router address. That's why I asked you what's your router. Is it D-Link? Is it LinkSys? What is it?

amitabha
09-12-06, 18:44
LinkSys

Joseph
09-12-06, 18:47
I just use wireless?
That doesn't make a difference. You need to set up a network, period.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

amitabha
09-12-06, 18:52
That doesn't make a difference. You need to set up a network, period.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

Yes, I understand that. The network is already set up and it appears on my PC. I just need the network key to access it.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 18:52
In this case go to a computer that has access to the network and:

1. Start your web browser.
2. Type http://192.168.1.1/ and hit enter.
3. Enter username and password (if any).
4. If I remember correctly it's under Wireless tab - Security tab.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 18:54
Hi Joseph,

He has the network already set. His computer needs to access it. He just needs to know the network key to do so. And the easy way to do it is to access the router's setup program.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:00
do I enter my PC's username/password or networks? Because I don't know the network password.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:01
Who set your network?

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:02
best buy, already called them. They said they should have saved the document. However, I cant find it.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:05
I'm not sure if they password protected your router's setup program.

Try the default info:

Username - (leave it blank)
Password - admin

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:10
Username - blank (that means do not enter anything)

you know, i'm really not that stupid :mad:

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:14
I didn't mean it in that way. I was trying to help some other people before that would actually type the word "blank". So I typed (that means do not enter anything) just to speed up things.

My apologies.

[Edit]: Previous post edited.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:21
i found the document... thanks for your help :)

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:26
That means that someone password protected your router. You can either try to find a person that knows the password or re-set the router to its original settings by pressing with a small sharp object and holding for about 60 seconds the reset button.

Warning: In the case of re-setting the router you will loose all the network settings which you will have to re-enter.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:31
what is a WEP/ WPA key?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:35
WEP = Wired Equivalency Privacy

WPA = Wi-Fi Protected Access

Both are security protocols for wireless networks (data encryption). WPA is the latest one and more secure.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:43
well it is asking me for a WEP/ or WPA key?

I did manage to find the router password, but this password did not work. Is a key just a password or something similar to a serial?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:45
Yes, that's the network key. Your network uses one of the security protocols (the data on it is encrypted) therefore to access it you need the WEP/WPA key also know as network key. You can get it after accessing the setup program.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:48
Where would this setup program be located?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:50
1. Start your web browser.
2. Type http://192.168.1.1/ and hit enter.
3. Enter username and password (if any).
4. If I remember correctly it's under Wireless tab - Security tab.

That's how you access it.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:51
That's how you access it.

and for the password, would I enter the router password?

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:51
Yes.

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:52
ok thank you, i'll go try it

amitabha
09-12-06, 19:54
this is really confusing, all I get is

401 Unauthorized
Authorization required.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 19:59
That's because you need a user name and password to access the router's setup. Whoever set it up assigned a user name and password. You need that to access the setup.

You could bypass that if you reset the router to its original settings. I would NOT suggest that if you don't know how to re-enter the settings or you don't know what all those things there (on the settings page) mean because you can loose the network.

And you need the network key to access the network because the network data is encrypted.

amitabha
09-12-06, 20:06
That's because you need a user name and password to access the router's setup. Whoever set it up assigned a user name and password. You need that to access the setup.

there is a document listed in C:/ called "wizard"

Within the document, lists the router password, but no user name.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:07
Here is a GUIDE (http://oregonstate.edu/resnet/guides/router_linksys.php) on how to setup a LinkSys router. That's in case you decide to reset it.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:09
I didn't see your last post.

there is a document listed in C:/ called "wizard"

Within the document, lists the router password, but no user name.

You could try leaving the user name blank and entering that password then.

amitabha
09-12-06, 20:18
i think i know why it isn't working. I have a westell wireless speed router. Not a linksys. :)

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:24
I'm not familiar with this one. But the access to it should be done in pretty much same way (browser, IP address, user name and password).

The IP address for it should be 192.168.1.1.

Is it this one (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/westell2410.html)?

amitabha
09-12-06, 20:30
its similar to that, but it says wirespeed on it as well.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:32
Did you try that password on it?

By the way, that article I gave you the link for has some setup info if you gain the access to the setup page.

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:44
i found the document... thanks for your help :)

I see you found it. Is everything working now?

amitabha
09-12-06, 20:47
no, that was the router password. I'm just going to call someone to do it for me. Thanks for sticking around, you were very helpful. Though I didn't get anywhere, at least you tried. Thank you :)

Lord Icon
09-12-06, 20:58
You need the router password to access the router's setup page. On the setup page you would find the network key which then you would use when connecting to the network. That's all.

Good luck.

shrensh
13-12-06, 17:10
Hello, you nice people seem to know about Linksys wireless routers, so maybe you can help me :)

Our router will not give any of the computers on our network internet access. Our internet connection went down over the weekend, and came back on yesterday. The same day the router suddenly wouldn't connect anybody up to the network properly. It just came up with the message "there is limited or no connectivity".

The Landlord's son tried restarting the router, but that didn't help. He then restored the factory defaults. After that the router would connect us to the wireless network, but we still can't get internet access from it. There is definitely internet access from the modem because a computer connected to it directly with a cable can connect.

When I go to command prompt and type "ipconfig/all" it shows my DNS servers as being the same as my IP address, which is obviously not right. I went to the router setup and status page, and this is how it appears:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/shrensh/misc/routerstatus.jpg
Obviously a problem. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it. I don't even know whether it's the internet connection, the modem, or the router that's causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Joseph
13-12-06, 17:30
"ipconfig/all" should be "ipconfig /all"

shrensh
13-12-06, 17:47
"ipconfig/all" and "ipconfig /all" give me the same result :p

I have no experience with setting up a wireless router, and I'm wondering if there are any settings I've missed. I can't see anything in the settings I might need to change though, and I'm confused as to why the router can't access the internet even though it's plugged into the modem :confused:

Lord Icon
14-12-06, 00:42
There is definitely a problem. First of all make sure that everything is connected properly (router to the PC, modem to the router etc.). You wouldn't believe how many times problems are created by incorrectly hardware setup. If all that is in order then read on.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea what router model, modem, type of connection, Operating System and type of computers and how many of them you have on your network. Just for future reference when you ask for help any extra information you can provide us with will greatly help in solving your problem.

Let's start from the end. Go to the Status Page (your pic above) and click on "DHCP Release button", and then the "DHCP Renew" button. This fixes your router's connectivity problem most of the time. If not read on for step-by-step simplify router setup instructions (since I don't have any extra info to give you any specific answer).

On Set Up Page:

1. Open your Internet browser and click in the address bar.

2. Type the router's IP address in the address bar of your browser and then press Enter.

3. The default password for a Linksys router is admin. Since your router was already reset to its original settings that password is active.

4. Enter a name for your router in the Router Name field.

When you are finished click the "Save Settings" button.

On Wireless Page:

1. Click on the Wireless Tab on the top black bar.

2. In the Wireless Network Name field type in a unique name for your router. For example: shrenshnet.

3. In the Wireless Channel field you can choose any channel, I recommend using any channel above 6 or 7. The lower the channel, the less the range, however the higher the channel the more interference you will be exposed to. Now, all the computers with wireless adaptors/cards will have to be set to the same channel.

4. Next click on the Wireless Security Tab. Then choose a security mode. Below choose a password to type into the shared key field. Pick a password that is easy for you to remember, but hard for someone else to guess. I recommend writting it down and keeping it in a safe place in case you need it in the future.

When you are finished click the "Save Settings" button.

On Administration Page:

1. To make your router secure, you will want to change the standard password to a different one. To do this click on the Administration tab on the black bar.

2. Once you pick a password be sure to click the "Save Settings" button.

On Status Page:

The router's status page can tell you important information about your router, and whether it is functioning properly. If you are experiencing problems with your router, a simple fix a lot of the time is to press the "DHCP Release button", and then the "DHCP Renew" button (as stated above).

This will give the router a new IP address. If it doesn't your router may not be plugged in correctly, or your router might not be registered.

When you are looking to register your router, you will want to look for the MAC address, which is in the upper section of the Status Page.

shrensh
14-12-06, 06:13
Well, the problem isn't anything to do with the network name, IP address, or security. As far as I can tell it is plugged into the cable modem (I don't specifically what type of modem it is, I'd have to ask the Landlord). The Router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, and it's connected to the modem with a cable. Computers connected directly to the modem do get internet access, so the modem is definitely working.

The Wireless Channel is set to 6, but that isn't the problem because all computers can connect to the wireless, there's just no internet coming through it.

The router is plugged into the modem correctly as far as I know (I had a look at it last night and it seemed fine to me). The DHCP Release and DHCP Renew is one of the first things I tried but it doesn't work at all.

There are about 4 or 5 computers connecting up to the network. It's nothing to do with the operating systems of the computers involved, because my Windows XP PC doesn't get internet access, and neither does my Apple Mac Notebook.

Thanks for your reply :)

EDIT: I've been asking around, and there doesn't seem much that I can do by myself. I'm going to call the ISP this weekend when I've gotten our account details from the landlord and can get access to the router.

UPDATE: The wireless randomly started working tonight :D I think the Landlord must finally have dug the router manual out from where ever it was. Thanks for you help though, Lord Icon :)