PDA

View Full Version : All TRs do not work on my Laptop

BoyTRaider
10-12-06, 18:02
I might've brought this problem up 9 months ago, I don't really remember.

I've played TR on my laptop many times, but after I had to reinstall Windows 2000 on it, none of the TR games have been working.

Whenever I'm finished installing a TR game, and when I click on the play icon - or even the setup icon - an error message pops up saying that, for example, "tr3gold.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

Well, I do restart the program, and even my laptop at times, but the same problems still come by. In fact, this is not the only game my laptop is acting crazy like that... I was trying to play Thief one day, which I had always played in my laptop, and an error message came up, not saying the same as TR, but something about Windows NT not being..umm... I don't remember that much.
Either way, I really wanted to be able to replay my TR games that I haven't played in years, so if someone has a solution to this problem. It would be much appreciated.

Joseph
10-12-06, 18:08
Updated your W2000 to service pack 4? :)

SnoopyZ
10-12-06, 18:20
What service pack of Windows 2000 do you have? Try upgrading the version that you have to the latest version of 2000. I think just recently Microsoft has dropped any Windows 2000 updates. :o

BoyTRaider
10-12-06, 18:25
Yes, I installed Service Pack 4 as soon as I had reinstalled W2000... :)

Bokkie
10-12-06, 18:29
I think just recently Microsoft has dropped any Windows 2000 updates. :o

Not true ;) Microsoft is preparing service pack 5 for windows 2000.

Microsoft dropped Windows 98/ME updates

Bokkie
10-12-06, 18:35
Yes, I installed Service Pack 4 as soon as I had reinstalled W2000... :)

In that case, please try the following:

Click Start, then Run. Type in cmd and click OK. Command prompt will open. In Command prompt, please type in the following.

CD %SYSTEMROOT%\AppPatch (press enter)
regsvr32 SLAYERUI.DLL (press enter)

You should get a message that the server is registered. Click OK. You have enabled compatibility mode in Windows 2000.

Right click on any TR shortcat, go to compatibility tab, enable compatibility mode and choose Windows 98 from the list. Now, double click on the shortcut and ... enjoy the game :)

BoyTRaider
10-12-06, 18:54
Bookie!!!! :D

Lol, I feel really dumb, since the procedures were the simplest possible, but thank you so much!!! I haven't been able to play my games in so long lol.

Thank you!!!!! :jmp: :D

raiderfun
10-12-06, 18:58
Not true ;) Microsoft is preparing service pack 5 for windows 2000.

REALLLLYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yik: :yik: :yik: :yik:

I think i'm happy :yik:

Bokkie
10-12-06, 19:21
Enjoy the game BoyTRaider :tmb:

Bokkie
10-12-06, 19:31
REALLLLYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, just I've read the article no MS web site, and unfortunately they stopped the work on SP5. I know Microsoft worked on SP5.

Here is what they said (Published: November 6, 2003)

Microsoft believes the Update Rollup meets customer needs more effectively and with less disruption than a new service pack, and there will be no Service Pack 5 (SP5) for Windows 2000. SP4 becomes the final service pack for Windows 2000.http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.mspx

Microsoft will continue to give updates through Windows Update web site.