PDA

View Full Version : Editing the open/save dialog boxes

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 19:05
Does anyone know how to edit the Open/Save dialog boxes?

I would like to change the locations on the left pane in Winxp.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JadeRae/Open-SaveBox.jpg

I know that you can change the sizes and arrangments of the Icons by right clicking on the pane.

To some extent I can customize which icons I have because I downloaded Tweakui, but that only has a few precoded options.

I assume it would be done through the registry? However I am not about to go messing around in the registry without first knowing what I'm doing. :)

jamieoliver22
10-12-06, 19:11
I don't know exactly, what are you trying to do? Change them in how they look or add/remove different ones?

For the 1st option, I would try using WindowBlinds to add a new skin.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 19:19
I'm trying to change the locations on the left pane. Where it says "My Documents, History, Desktop, ect.."

I'll check out WindowsBlinds too, sounds neat. :)

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 19:21
If you want to change what the Places Bar is showing:

Start - Run - Type gpedit.msc - OK

On the left of the window:

User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer - Common Open File Dialog

Now on the right of the window:

Double click on Items Displayed In Places Bar - Select "Enable" and put anything you like and in any order you like. Then Apply and OK of course.

Is that what you want to do?

jambala
10-12-06, 19:26
Hi,

I don't want to bother you, but what does this post has to do with Tomb Raider? :confused:

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 19:33
Lord Icon, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. But I typed 'gpedt.msc' in the run box and it said "windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'..." The operating sytem that can't use contractions. Did I read your post wrong, or is it my computer?

Btw, I love your avatar!

Joseph
10-12-06, 19:36
Hi,

I don't want to bother you, but what does this post has to do with Tomb Raider? :confused:
Why should it? In case you didn't realise: this is Tech Forum, for all tech problems. ;)

Bokkie
10-12-06, 19:38
Lord Icon, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. But I typed 'gpedt.msc' in the run box and it said "windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'..." The operating sytem that can't use contractions. Did I read your post wrong, or is it my computer?

In that case, type in mmc and click OK.

In MMC, click File, then Add/Remove SnapIn. Then click Add. From the list, choose Group Policy Object Editor, then click Finish. Click Close, then OK. Now continue what Lord Icon said.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 19:51
Bokkie, I opened the console and found where you add snap-ins, but "Group Policy Object Editor" isn't in the list.

Could it be under a different name? :)

jambala
10-12-06, 20:01
Why should it? In case you didn't realise: this is Tech Forum, for all tech problems. ;)

Oooooppss, I didn't realise obviously :whi: , sorry then I must be pretty "key-cursor" focused :)

Bokkie
10-12-06, 20:03
Bokkie, I opened the console and found where you add snap-ins, but "Group Policy Object Editor" isn't in the list.

Could it be under a different name? :)

Are you logged as an administrator? Do you have administrative rights on that computer? And which Windows do you running?

nothingtolose
10-12-06, 20:04
I've just recognized the dialog in the screenshot is not the standard Open/Save dialog of Windows (notice Tools on the top-right)...

It seems to be from one Microsoft Office application (Word, Excel...) or Visual Studio, is that right?

If so, you have to do it with registry or from that Tools menu, as far as I know:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205041

For the standard Open/Save dialogs, you can always customize the placesbar with TweakUI v1.33 or later, which I think is the simplest way...

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 20:15
@Bokkie: Yes, I am the adminstrator. And that's what I'm logged in as. I am running Windows xp Home with SP2.

@nothingtolose: You are right that that is a Microsoft Word open/save dialog box. But I want to change both types. :)

I have got TweakUI, but it has limited options for what you can add to the places bar. I want to have folders on it that aren't in TweakUI's options.

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 20:20
The gpedit is located in Windows\System32 folder. Go and look over there. If you see it just double click on it.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 20:29
No, it isn't there.

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 20:40
Make sure that all the files are showing in your window.

Open My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View tab - Select Show Hidden Files and Folder - Aplly - OK.

Then try again to look for it.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 20:48
I have hidden folders showing already, it just isn't there.

Is it something I could download? :)

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 20:50
Is that XP Home Edition you have there? If so gpedit tool is not included in XP Home Edition.

Bokkie
10-12-06, 20:56
Is that XP Home Edition you have there? If so gpedit tool is not included in XP Home Edition.

True. Group Policy is available on XP Pro only, not on XP Home.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 20:57
Yes, it's Xp Home.

Blast. Is there somwhere where I can download gpedit?

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 21:02
Blast. Is there somwhere where I can download gpedit?

It's not that simple.

Since Windows XP Home does not provide you with gpedit, your only choices are to change the Places Bar either by manually editing the Registry or by using the TweakUI PowerToy (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx).

To do so manually:

1. Launch the Registry Editor. Start - Run - type regedit - OK.

2. Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\comdlg32.

3. Create a new key called Placesbar (if not present).

4. Create String values called Place0, Place1, etc...

5. Doubleclick each value.

6. When you see the Edit StringValue dialog box, type a path into the Value Data text box.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each place.

8. Close the Registry Editor and restart Windows XP in order for the change to take effect.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 21:05
OK, I'll try that Lord Icon. :)

Thanks for all your help everybody. :)

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 21:07
Of course first backup your registry before making any changes. If something goes wrong with it (the registry) the OS could stop booting.

And if you don't feel comfortable with editing the registry don't do it. Use TweakUI PowerToys instead.

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 21:11
I'm quite comfortable with editing the registry, I do it often.

Although I will back it up, I lost my old PC to 'registry modding' (it may have had something to do with organizing the Windows folder too...I was still learning about that...:o )

And one more question. The steps you gave me do they modify the Office open box or the normal open/save box?

Thanks again!!:D

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 21:25
And one more question. The steps you gave me do they modify the Office open box or the normal open/save box?

They modify Windows Places Bar. I'm not so sure if they do it in Office too. But if they don't read this article about how to modify MS Office My Places Bar (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214).

Jade Rae
10-12-06, 21:40
Thank You Soooo Much Lord Icon!! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for weeks!:D :D

Lord Icon
10-12-06, 21:43
You're welcome. And happy tweaking.