PDA

View Full Version : UK weather pattern: Seriously screwed / Global warming?

illuminati30
11-12-06, 07:59
Anyone in the UK feel the whether pattern has become seriously ****ed up? Anyone else in the world felt their weather patterns have changed? Is anyone else seriously worried about Global warming?

This year in the UK we have an extended hot summer. Infact a very hot summer, and winter has been none existent, unless you live very north. However, I do think there has been the odd wintry fall, or freak snow shower here and there, but temperatures have remained well above average. In Glasgow anyway, i dont think they have been bellow 0 yet, and we are supposed to be colder here.

Flooding every week, some times more frequent, high winds, heavy rain, and autumn type weather in winter, hurricanes in London! This is December; there has been no frost, no ice, no cold days, just wet days, with above average temperature. Last night I could not sleep in bed as I was too warm, and itís not the first time during these winter months. This Monday morning was saw in with a torrential down pour, and wait for it, a thunder and lightening storm. In December.

I am seriously worried, especially when I consider other effects we have already seen, and implications for other nations in the world. Although i have been worried about this problem since i studied Environmental Science a few years back, and before then, but now we are feeling it, and its only then people will react, which is a sad fact.

Switch off, recycle, press politicians to bring in reusable energy, donít eat in McDonalds, and take a ****ing bus! Serioulsy, nothing annoys me more than having to spend one hour to get into town on a bus, on a trip that should take 20 mins, because every car is back logged, because the road is jam packed with cars with just one person in them! <rant over>

tlr online
11-12-06, 08:02
Yup. We're starting to feel the effect of global warming more than ever nowadays, and I guess it'll only get worse, with more extreme weather conditions hampering our seasons.

Ikas90
11-12-06, 08:05
Well, lucky for you guys it's winter there. It's summer time here in Australia, and temperatures usually get up to 30+ degrees. Imagine what it will be this year.

Celephais
11-12-06, 08:38
I myself now think that global warming is a hard scientific fact, after years of being open minded about it. The weather has been doing weird things in recent years. That in itself is not enough to automatically blame it on global warming, but more and more respected scientists are now accepting that there is too much evidence for global warming. Remember these guys are scientists, not politicians. For the cynics and sceptics, this is a "cry wolf" situation where unfortunately there really is a wolf this time. It's not too late to avert catastrophe, but we're runnng very short of time to do something constructive, probably only decades.

Global warming doesn't mean warmer summers, milder winters or even the incovenience of having your beachfront property flooding due to rising sea levels. The latest studies show that at the current rate of greenhouse gas emission that in about 40 years time, the UK alone will have an average summer temperature of about 50 Celcius. We'd have out of control forest fires, hundres of thousands of deaths from heat exhaustion and God knows what else. That's just in the UK, a fairly northerly place. By that time though if we don't cut CO 2 emissions, we'll have an irreversable situtation where the planet will get caught in a vicious cycle of warming.

The dangerous thing about all this is apathy. Too many people think "well it's not my problem at the moment. I might do something later" Well it will be a problem for you later in lfe, and also for your descendants.

Geck-o-Lizard
11-12-06, 08:50
What about the Ice Age theory, where the Gulf Stream changes direction and sends the UK into deep-freeze? Or would Scotland be covered in ice and England be roasting like Christmas chestnuts?

[edit]

Oh wow.

You know that loooong, deep, echoing, rolling thunder that you usually only get in movies?

Yeah.

Satu
11-12-06, 09:17
I live down south in Australia and we are having extreme and weird weather. We have hardly hard any rain this year, hence we are experiencing the worst drought. We have had extremly hot temperatures very early this year and our summer has only begun.

Yesterday it reached 47celcius under my pergola today it only got to 20, and it is now freezing cold outside. We are known to have weird weather down here but this is the worst I have ever experienced.

There is definately something going on.

Ikas90
11-12-06, 09:22
^ 47 degrees? OMG! :eek: That would melt your skin. It's only ever been up to 45 degrees in Sydney and that was on New Year's Day at the start of this year.

Geck-o-Lizard
11-12-06, 09:25
I live down south in Australia and we are having extreme and weird weather. We have hardly hard any rain this year, hence we are experiencing the worst drought. We have had extremly hot temperatures very early this year and our summer has only begun.

Damn. Have some of our rain - we definitely don't need this much. :(

Satu
11-12-06, 09:37
^ 47 degrees? OMG! :eek: That would melt your skin. It's only ever been up to 45 degrees in Sydney and that was on New Year's Day at the start of this year.

The outside temp gauge registered 47 where I live, the city of Melbourne got to 42.

Damn. Have some of our rain - we definitely don't need this much. :(

Yes please, we are currently on water restrictions.

I miss the rain :( I have only seen it pour down about 3 times this year. I remember when I was a kid and it always rained in winter now we hardly get anything.

Tomb of Legends
11-12-06, 10:25
Wow! Im located in Caloundra, on the Sunshine Coast for you Aussies, and visit my Dad every 2nd weekend at Brisbane and I can tell Global Warming has already started. Brisbane has been without proper rain (like 50mm) for over 390 days!

Chug a Bug
11-12-06, 15:32
Anyone in the UK feel the whether pattern has become seriously ****ed up? Anyone else in the world felt their weather patterns have changed? Is anyone else seriously worried about Global warming?

This year in the UK we have an extended hot summer. Infact a very hot summer, and winter has been none existent, unless you live very north. However, I do think there has been the odd wintry fall, or freak snow shower here and there, but temperatures have remained well above average. In Glasgow anyway, i dont think they have been bellow 0 yet, and we are supposed to be colder here.

Flooding every week, some times more frequent, high winds, heavy rain, and autumn type weather in winter, hurricanes in London! This is December; there has been no frost, no ice, no cold days, just wet days, with above average temperature. Last night I could not sleep in bed as I was too warm, and it’s not the first time during these winter months. This Monday morning was saw in with a torrential down pour, and wait for it, a thunder and lightening storm. In December.

I am seriously worried, especially when I consider other effects we have already seen, and implications for other nations in the world. Although i have been worried about this problem since i studied Environmental Science a few years back, and before then, but now we are feeling it, and its only then people will react, which is a sad fact.

Switch off, recycle, press politicians to bring in reusable energy, don’t eat in McDonalds, and take a ****ing bus! Serioulsy, nothing annoys me more than having to spend one hour to get into town on a bus, on a trip that should take 20 mins, because every car is back logged, because the road is jam packed with cars with just one person in them! <rant over>

Well.. it was a tornado rather than a hurricane. And they do happen more often than you'd think, I can remember a devastating one only a few years ago in Selsey not far from where I live and that didn't rate mentioning in anything other than the local newsreports, and there was one in Birmingham I think it was a few months ago I think? Most people outside of Brum didn't even believe it. Of course when it happens in London then suddenly it's all over the national media and the world is coming to an end! :)

It has been very wet recently but it's only unusual because in recent years our winters have been unusually dry. I can remember worse and wetter winters than this only about 5 or 6 years ago there was flooding in Lewes, Uckfield and there was so much underground water it was bursting up through cracks in the tarmac in the road and up through the drains here in mini fountains! I kid you not.

But do I agree the weather is definately changing. We had the hottest summer ever here up to 36 degrees celsius. We were digging someones garden at the time (don't ask) and I was nearly passing out from the heat so believe me I know. And I don't think we've even had a frost this year yet and snow is a long forgotten memory. When I was a kid we used to get regular falls of snow I still have some ancient photos somewhere to prove it. I can't remember the last time it snowed around here theres a whole generation of kids growing up who've never seen it. So yes I agree global warming is a fact. :(

Captain Mazda
11-12-06, 15:35
hurricanes in London!

Surely you mean tornado, completely different natural disaster. With the way things are going, it'll be a few more years until Europe begins to see hurricanes.

Lew
11-12-06, 15:44
Or maybe were just coming out of the Ice Age we had?

And i like the hot weather, only like it cold when it snows.