PDA

View Full Version : CRC Error

Jason4207
11-12-06, 14:03
Ok...I just built a new system, and I can't get TR:Legend to install. I keep getting a CRC error. I have the game on my HDD on my old PC, and I got a new copy of the disc with my new graphics card (XFX 7900GT). I've tried installing from the disc, installing over my home network (my old PC's HDD), copying the disc to the HDD (on the new PC) and installing from there, turning on PIO, disabling and then uninstalling Daemon Tools, turning off all unnecessary programs, turning off windows firewall, and just about everything else I can find on the Internet to fix this problem. I read something about installing the demo, and then copying files from the disc over, but I'm unsure of the procedure.

Anyway, I need some help! I would really like to see this game in all it's glory! It looked good on my old PC, but I'd like to see it w/ nex-gen turned on.

Please respond w/ any ideas.

Jason4207
11-12-06, 14:37
I already posted this in the TR: Legend forum, but I figured this would be a better place for it.

Ok...I just built a new system, and I can't get TR:Legend to install. I keep getting a CRC error. I have the game on the HDD on my old PC, and I got a new copy of the disc with my new graphics card (XFX 7900GT). I've tried installing from the disc, installing over my home network (my old PC's HDD), copying the disc to the HDD (on the new PC) and installing from there, turning on PIO, disabling and then uninstalling Daemon Tools, turning off all unnecessary programs, turning off windows firewall, and just about everything else I can find on the Internet to fix this problem. I read something about installing the demo, and then copying files from the disc over, but I'm unsure of the procedure. Demo seems to install fine, but I haven't tried to play it yet. I've tried to install the Demo and then install the full game over top of it, but no luck.

All other games install and run fine: Doom3, FarCry, Battlefield 2142, F.E.A.R., at or very near full maxed out settings.

Here's what I have:
Core2Duo E6300 @3.09GHz
Asus P5B-Deluxe MoBo @1760 MHz FSB
1GB Corsair DDR2-800 @ 1100MHz 4:5 5-5-5-15
XFX 7900GT 256MB @ 580/1600MHz
LG DVD-RW
80GB WD SATAII HDD 16MB

Anyway, I need some help! I would really like to see this game in all it's glory! It looked good on my old PC, but I'd like to see it w/ nex-gen turned on.

Please respond w/ any ideas.

aussie500
11-12-06, 15:08
After you uninstall Daemon Tools you will also need to clean the registry of all traces of the program. It can also l think take exception to other virtual drives so you could try turnong of all virtual drives while installing, or even removing the programs that have them. That is one possible problem, you could disable your virus scanner as well. CRC error can also be caused by a bad read of the disc of a fault in the reader or Hard drive, you could try cleaning the disc, the laser in the drive and checking the hard drive for errors and defragmenting the hard drive

Joseph
11-12-06, 15:08
Hello Jason.

Just a few thoughts, as i don't have the solution at hand.
It is not the dual core: i have Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.6 Ghz /ATI Radeon X1900XT/512MB, Legend runs on my PC in full glory.
Even if we get the game to install on your PC, don't expect the game to run in full next-gen glory because the GF 7900GT/256MB is not too well equipped for it, for next gen a 512MB VRAM card is recommended.
On my other PC i have a GF7800GT and Legend runs about fine (it bravely struggles) at lowered settings and resolution.

But that aside, the game should install in the first place...

It was reported here, that TR1 refused to install/run on a GF 7950GTX2...

Joseph
11-12-06, 15:14
CRC error is usually because of a bad download. But you got the DVD with your card.
Other possible reason for CRC error is fingerprints, stains, scratches on the disk, have you checked very closely?

Secondly: you got the DVD with the card. Is it packed in a paper envelope? Did it have a serial, or not? The retail version does not have a serial, but uses Securom copyprotection. This copyprotection is reported to sometimes cause problems to install at all. Solution would be to obtain a patch from them.

Joseph
11-12-06, 15:21
If you did the PIO / DMA thing, make sure you put it back to what is was. Your setting should be DMA.
You are trying to start a copy-protected application which requires the original disc to be in the CD/DVD-ROM drive. Please check to make sure your disc is an original.

If this message occurs, although you are using the original disc, please check if the correct communication mode is being used with your drive. Please check if the DMA mode is enabled by using the Device Manager
Open the Device Manager.
Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
Right-click the icon for the channel to which your CD/DVD drive is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.
In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "DMA if Available" if the current setting is "PIO Only." If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then you must toggle the settings. That is:
Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if available.

Jason4207
11-12-06, 15:38
The DVD came in a plastic envelope. It did not come w/ a serial, so I'm assuming it is using Securom. You say to get a patch from "them". Can you point me in the right direction? I'm not sure where to look, and do I have to install this patch first?

The disc looks flawless, and it copies files to my HDD w/o problems. I get the same error when installing from the HDD even though there isn't a disc in the drive.

I put the DVD drive back into DMA mode. Thanks though.

Chug a Bug
11-12-06, 15:52
It is not the dual core: i have Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.6 Ghz /ATI Radeon X1900XT/512MB, Legend runs on my PC in full glory.
Even if we get the game to install on your PC, don't expect the game to run in full next-gen glory because the GF 7900GT/256MB is not too well equipped for it, for next gen a 512MB VRAM card is recommended.
On my other PC i have a GF7800GT and Legend runs about fine (it bravely struggles) at lowered settings and resolution.

But that aside, the game should install in the first place...

It was reported here, that TR1 refused to install/run on a GF 7950GTX2...

TR Legend runs fine with all the settings maxed out on my core 2 duo / nVidia GTX 512mb 7900 machine.

Umm... does it give the CRC error when you're trying to install it Jason? Because it's not unknown for archives to get damaged it's happened to me in the past, a new copy of the archive was the only option.

Edit: Joseph beat me to it. Umm, just because the archive copies ok doesn't mean it isn't damaged in some way. If I were to put money on it I'd say the DVD was defective in some way. Defects aren't necessarily obvious.

Joseph
11-12-06, 15:55
Good to know, Chug a Bug, but your nVidia GTX 512mb 7900is not the same as my poor old GF7800GT/256MB...

Joseph
11-12-06, 16:00
Some users may experience a problem to get Legend running, and the solution would be to uninstall Microsoft security patch KB917422. :) You do that in Control panel/software. Tick ON to display updates & patches. Then uninstall this particular patch.

If you want more info, you can Google for KB917422 problem (http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=KB917422+problem&meta=).

Chug a Bug
11-12-06, 16:06
Good to know, Chug a Bug, but your is not the same as my poor old GF7800GT/256MB...

I know, I was just trying to point out that it wasn't the machine specs that were causing the problem. Sorry I didn't mean to imply your machine was inferior. ;)

Joseph
11-12-06, 16:14
Oh but i appreciated your reply Chug! :tmb: The truth is: my other testing machine isn't inferior, but the GF7800GT/256MB in it IS inferior to your GF 7900 GTX 512mb.

Oh it has a Pentium 650... so yes it IS inferior to our Core2Duo machines... But Legend is not very CPU intensive, so it is really the card that makes or brakes here.

If i'd have some spare money (:( ) i would buy your card to replace my 7800GT. I find it very comfortable to have a nVidia and an ATI system next to each other. For the OpenGL games that run best on nVidia.

Jason4207
11-12-06, 17:46
aussie500,
Is there an easy way to clean the registry of all traces of Daemon? I had Dameon on my last PC, and it didn't cause any problems there.

I do have Nero installed, but I haven't enabled any of it's virtual drives yet. Should I uninstall it? This is the only other program I have that has virtual drives that I know of. I have DVDShrink, and DVDFab installed.

I have AVG antivirus, and disabled it. I also went through task manager, and turned off every program it would let me.

The DVD Burner is brand new (LG 18X). The disc "looks" fine upon close inspection. I copied the contents of the disc to the HDD and ran the install program from there. I have run DisKeeper to defrag the drive. I tried to install the game over the network from my HDD on my old PC. I guess the HDD could be bad in the new PC (new 80GB drive), but Disk Check ran w/o errors.

Chug a Bug
11-12-06, 18:08
If you havn't installed Nero's virtual drive then there shouldn't be a problem, but it's up to you.

Personally I've had the latest versions of Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% both with virtual drives enabled at the same and had no problems.

Joseph
11-12-06, 18:16
Have you tried this yet, Jason?Some users may experience a problem to get Legend running, and the solution would be to uninstall Microsoft security patch KB917422. :) You do that in Control panel/software. Tick ON to display updates & patches. Then uninstall this particular patch.

If you want more info, you can Google for KB917422 problem (http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=KB917422+problem&meta=).

Jason4207
12-12-06, 03:30
I installed from a slipstreamed disc that already had that hotfix on it, so I was unable to unistall it easily. I installed hotfix KB924867 which is supposed to fix the problem. Unfotunately it didn't. At first I thought it was working b/c the install process got a lot further along, but then it said something about a file called "set3.tmp". I tried again, but then it gave me the CRC error again. I tried turning off all running programs (only 15 still running). I deleted the TRL folder in the program files folder between each try and I even tried PIO mode again...nothing.

Anymore ideas guys?

Joseph
12-12-06, 03:39
I installed hotfix KB924867 which is supposed to fix the problem. You got that reversed. Why??? :confused: UNinstall that patch is what you should do to fix the problem. EDIT: Wait. It is KB917422. as i posted. Where did you read "hotfix KB924867 is supposed to fix the problem."???

Jason4207
12-12-06, 03:57
http://3dgpu.com/archives/2006/10/20/windows-security-update-causing-problems-in-games/

This talks about it some.

If you know of a way to uninstall a patch that was part of a slipstreamed disc then I'm game to try, but it doesn't show up under Add/Remove Programs. I can see the hotfix in the list of hotfixes that I compiled before I slipstreamed them, so I know it was installed.

I really don't want to reformat. I just got everything on this PC!

Joseph
12-12-06, 04:03
Slipstreamed i don't know if you can remove it. Live-Updated you should be able, and that is what i meant. :(

Lord Icon
12-12-06, 04:08
If I may backtrack a bit. Jason, you said:

The DVD came in a plastic envelope.

I don't know where you're located but were did you get this DVD from? Doesn't the game come in a plastic box? Are you positive that it comes from reliable source?

The reason I'm asking is because Joseph said about this error also happening with downloaded version. Is there a possibility that someone sold you an illegal copy?

If that's the case then nothing will help. Just want to make sure that the copy you bought is original.

Lord Icon
12-12-06, 04:12
Slipstreamed i don't know if you can remove it. Live-Updated you should be able, and that is what i meant. :(

You're right here Joseph. Unfortunately you cannot remove patches/updates that were slipstreamed. The reason is that the original files were replaced directly on the installation CD and there is no backup of them therefore there is no going back.

Joseph
12-12-06, 04:23
The dvd came with the card, Lord Icon. Posts #1 and #2

Lord Icon
12-12-06, 04:27
Yes, I just saw it. I missed it the first time. Thanks.

Lord Icon
12-12-06, 04:50
Is there an easy way to clean the registry of all traces of Daemon? I had Dameon on my last PC, and it didn't cause any problems there.

Regseeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm).

I do have Nero installed, but I haven't enabled any of it's virtual drives yet. Should I uninstall it? This is the only other program I have that has virtual drives that I know of. I have DVDShrink, and DVDFab installed.

Actually that could be the problem. I read sometime ago about someone having the same problem with TRL and he/she had the same burning software installed. He/she went to extreme measures of re-installing the OS, then installing the game and then re-installing the burning software.

Of course you could try just uninstalling the burning software and cleaning the registry of course.

I know it's a long process but if everything else fails you could give it a try.

Jason4207
12-12-06, 13:38
Thanks Lord Icon. I'll give it a try tonight. I'll uninstall DVDShrink, DVDFab, Nero, run regseeker, and then hope for the best.

If this doesn't work then reformat may be the only option:(

Wish me luck!

Joseph
12-12-06, 16:49
I wish you luck Jason. I have Nero 6.6 on all 3 PC's and Legend installed on all 3 as well. Nero was installed BEFORE Legend, never had any problem about that here.

So i'd focus on DVDShrink, DVDFab first.

Joseph
12-12-06, 17:02
You're right here Joseph. Unfortunately you cannot remove patches/updates that were slipstreamed. The reason is that the original files were replaced directly on the installation CD and there is no backup of them therefore there is no going back.
Yes this is the intersting part i think. I am pretty sure right now, that the Windows hotfix is the cause for Jason's trouble.
For 1 PC i had slipstreamed my XP as well, but that was a XP SP1 cd which i slipstreamed with a SP2 cd. The troublesome hotfix came far after release of SP2. So i have that hotfix accessable in WINDOWS and Control Panel\Software on my PC's. Funny thing is that i never had trouble installing Legend despite that hotfix... So it is not affecting ALL PC's.

Lord Icon
12-12-06, 20:47
I have also all the hotfix releases and burning software and I also never had any problems installing TRL.

But you may be right about the hotfix creating problem, Joseph. I just stumbled upon this article sometime ago. The solution for that person was to reformat the hard drive, reinstall the XP, install the game and then the burning software. I have no idea if he/she had that particular hotfix installed. As I mentioned in my previous post this solution is worth trying only if everything else fails since it is a long process.

Jason4207
13-12-06, 13:45
OK...no luck. Uninstalled burning software, and ran regseeker. Same problem. So I bit the bullet and did a re-install. First I did a reinstall w/ an older disc I had that said XP Pro w/ SP2. First time it got about 3/4 through the install before giving me the CRC error. The second time it only got through about 1/10 of the install before giving me the CRC error. Then I started to wonder if I had put hotfixes on that disc. So, I made a new slipstreamed disc w/ out any hotfixes, but still w/ some customizations. I couldn't get XP to install this time, so I figured I futzed something up when creating the disc. At this point I'm pretty frustrated. :mad:
I whip out an OLD XP Pro disc (no boot) w/o any SP's or hotfixes. I break out the 6 XP boot discs and get started. I let it run while I sleep, and then enter the info it requests this morning. It almost finishes, and then BSOD! :hea:
I try again, and get a lock-up with 6 minutes remaining! :hea: :hea:
I turn down the overclock, try again, and that is where I left it before taking off to work. I have to wait till I get home now.

This is turning into a real headache.

Joseph
13-12-06, 16:14
Jason, what a misery! :( Make sure that when you format, you select FULL format, and not Quick format. Only in full format your disk is really formatted.

Chug a Bug
15-12-06, 14:14
Sorry to hear that, but likewise I've never had any trouble with Legend and any kind of cd burning/image software. My money is still on a corrupted archive at this point.

Jason4207
15-12-06, 16:29
OK..got XP Pro installed. Installed SP2, drivers, and then TRL. It works! :jmp:

It could have been the hot fix, but here are other things that were different:

HDD in IDE mode this time instead of AHCI
Overclock not as severe
Used actual XP disc and not slipstreamed disc
Installed TRL before installing anything else, or running Windows update

I'm not sure of the exact cause, but at least it works now. TRL runs with everything maxed at 1152x864 and hasn't dropped below 24fps yet. I may turn something down to get rid the slight choppiness, though. I'm also waiting on an RMA from newegg to get my 19" 1440x900 LCD flatscreeen back (1 stuck red pixel), so I may have to turn down the settings a little more for the game to run @ 1440x900.

In the end I'm not so sure the countless hours of pulling my hair out are worth it, but I have a hard time quitting when presented with a challenge.

Thanks to everyone for your help. :)

Joseph
15-12-06, 17:05
Oh Jason! Really good work! :tmb: I have a hard time quitting when presented with a challenge.
You're like me! :D :hug:

Let me react to your options:
HDD in IDE mode this time instead of AHCI <--- i don't believe this can have anything to do with it.
Overclock not as severe <--- i don't believe this can have anything to do with it. Both my newest PC's are overclocked; the Pentium 650 to 4.1 Ghz on stock cooler. So much that it easily got overheated and could not complete the 3DMark2006 benchmark, PC instantly shut down at the CPU-benchmark, so two days ago i lowered the overclock to 3.747 Ghz. But nevertheless, this never blocked installing/running Legend. My newest PC with Core2Duo E6600 is overclocked to 3.6 Ghz with a Zalman CNPS9500 cooler, at full load it stays just under the max allowed core temp of 82 degrees celsius. Never had a single problem installing and running Legend.
Used actual XP disc and not slipstreamed disc <--OK....
Installed TRL before installing anything else, or running Windows update <---YES but did you check if the one hotfix is installed afterwards? I mean: i still think the Windows hotfix is the villain, and it would be intersting to know if that thing is only blocking installation of Legend but does no harm when it is installed after Legend.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 18:01
Well done Jason!