PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid Of Recycle Bin From Desktop.

SnoopyZ
11-12-06, 16:48
:)

OK. I've deleted every icon from the desktop but can't seem to get rid of the stupid recycle bin. I'm made a shortcut so, I don't forget where it is. How do I get rid of the stupid icon?

tlr online
11-12-06, 16:49
Download TweakUI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) from Microsoft, remove it using Desktop options.

Joseph
11-12-06, 16:52
Open Registry (Start > Run... type in regedit and click OK).
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
Use "Edit>Find" to find the following key: {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} and delete it.
Close Regedit. Wait a few seconds to see the icon disappear.

SnoopyZ
11-12-06, 17:04
Open Registry (Start > Run... type in regedit and click OK).
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
Use "Edit>Find" to find the following key: {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} and delete it.
Close Regedit. Wait a few seconds to see the icon disappear.

Done that. :tmb: Didn't work! :hea:

Lord Icon
11-12-06, 17:23
Do you have XP Pro or Home?

For Home Edition use TweakUI as TLR suggested. It's an easy and safe way.

For XP Pro Edition you can use either TweakUI or GPEdit. To use gpedit:

Start - Run - Type gpedit.msc - OK

On the left of the window:

User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Desktop

Now on the right of the window:

Double click on Remove Recycle Bin From Desktop - Select Enable - Then click on Apply and OK.

They're both better ways than modifying registry since they're both safe. If you decide to change it back to the way it was you can just repeat the steps without fooling with re-entering info in registry.

Joseph
11-12-06, 17:25
Well i just did it myself again and it worked! :tmb: