PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone has SAD before?

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 13:23
Has anyone on the forum ever suffered from Seasonal affect disorder.
The past few weeks I've been feeling really depressed and I have struggled to maintain schoolwork. I have had less interest in doing my languages and I feel like I don't want to go nowhere or go out with my friends so I'm in the house a lot. And the past 3 days Iv'e slept for almost 13 hours!:cln: I wanted to know if anyone had it before?:confused:

Janny
13-12-06, 13:31
Ya kiddin me, right? That actually exists? :p
You sound like me, I just sleeeeeeeeeeeeep a lot, I have slept so much lately, weird, I usually like staying up late. It's probably because I know the holidays are coming but they're coming to slow! :cln: And school is a big pain also..

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 13:34
Thats what I thought, but it turns out soem peopel can actually be hospitalized by it, and some cases are suicide. :)

I never thought I would have it but I've been feeling a lot of the symptoms lately:confused:

Mad Tony
13-12-06, 13:47
"Seasonal Affect Disorder". Good one! :vlol:

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 13:49
Im not kidding now cut it out!:mad:

Mad Tony
13-12-06, 13:50
Im not kidding now cut it out!:mad:
Well, I'll look it up on Google, but I've never heard of this "disorder" before.

EDIT: I can tell you, that you're just feeling a little down because it's winter.
I think Seasonal Affect Disorder is just some dumb name they gave to winter depression.

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 13:51
Yer, you can look it up!

jarhead

Its actually a registered disorder, so :ton: lets all laugh at Ben :D

I dont, but one of my friend does, He just hates christmas and winter in general, but me and my friends think its brilliant so we are forever persuading him to think its a great time

Janny
http://www.ncpamd.com/seasonal.htm :whi:

Mad Tony
13-12-06, 13:53
Yeah, I know. My bad.
Sorry Anthony. :p

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 13:54
I like winter, Its a nice chnage from the summer (and insects:mad: ) especially when theres lots of rain and you can snuggle up inside with some hot cocoa.

But its getting old! I want some more sun!

Mad Tony
13-12-06, 13:55
I like winter, Its a nice chnage from the summer (and insects:mad: ) especially when theres lots of rain and you can snuggle up inside with some hot cocoa.

But its getting old! I want some more sun!
Well then there's obviously no pleasing you.
You don't like winter that much because of all the insects and stuff, and yet when it gets to winter, you want summer again.

And Winter hasn't actually been with us for that long, only for about 13 days. ;)

Rivendell
13-12-06, 13:59
I have been known to get mild S.a.D towards the end of the year, and it really sucks. I just fight against it! Concerntrate on all the good stuff winter has :tmb:

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 14:00
We've still got almost 2 months left of this winter crap:(

Mad Tony
13-12-06, 14:01
No, we've got about 2 and a half months.
And I thought you said you liked winter and it was a good change from summer? :confused:

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 14:09
No, we've got about 2 and a half months.
And I thought you said you liked winter and it was a good change from summer? :confused:

It is, but I would like a nice hot sunny day, at least 1 this month.

I never usually feel this way about winter but right now I'm feeluing really blue. What I need is a nice hot holiday

BlackGrey
13-12-06, 14:12
Well, I'll look it up on Google, but I've never heard of this "disorder" before.

I have, my mum suffers from it, she purchased a light box. It produces a light which is supposed to act like the effect of sunshine. Google that too :wve:

Celephais
13-12-06, 14:16
No, I love the winter. I get depressed during the summer when everyone's nauseatingly jolly and jetting off to their 9th Caribbean holiday and letting everyone else know about it.

BlackGrey
13-12-06, 14:22
Wrong thread :)

Legends
13-12-06, 14:27
I got depressed when my parents filed for divorce three years ago, so I probably got the DPAD :p
(divorced parents affect disorder)

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 14:34
wow:)

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 14:35
I have, my mum suffers from it, she purchased a light box. It produces a light which is supposed to act like the effect of sunshine. Google that too :wve:

I heard about them.

Can't you just shine the bedside lamp in your face?:confused:

Punaxe
13-12-06, 14:42
Just any given bedside lamp does not give the same radiation and light as our sun does. So no, you can't.

Indeed 'winter depression' is a known problem; I didn't know it could be that severe though. I can relate to how you said you felt in the first post, but I don't think it's caused by the season.

And you may need to think about that too. If you believe it's SAD, you also believe you cannot help it ("because you can't change the seasons!"). It may be related to something else, which may be important to remedy.

Mr.Burns
13-12-06, 15:06

Not where I am. Spring doesn't show up until almost May here because of the Finger Lakes Region. We have a phenomenon known as lake effect snow so it snows more frequently and keeps the area colder longer. At any rate, I hate winter, bring on the heat:D

AnthonyShock1515
13-12-06, 15:45
Ive just altered my bedroom lamp and I shone it in my face for half an hour lol.

I've just removed my face and I feel a bit positive:p

Lew
13-12-06, 16:46
Its actually a registered disorder, so :ton: lets all laugh at Ben :D

Please :)

I felt sad for about 2/3 days then realised I'm not gonna be happy if I think about all the bad things that happened and start being happy, it helps! And it feels better. Sound abit dodgy that haha! But yeah try and be happy.

Greenkey2
13-12-06, 16:56
I think you'll find that it is a genuine psychological disorder, caused (primarily) by the decrease in daylight at this time of year.

You need sunlight on your skin to produce vitamin D (the type we eat is not, chemically, the same thing). This condition is very widespread and can have real and severe symptoms. Mood swings, irritability, depression (I wish like hell they'd come up with a better name for this disease)...they all need to be taken seriously.

I know of several people who suffer from it every year. There is nothing funny or strange about it.

BlackGrey
13-12-06, 17:00
I think you'll find that it is a genuine psychological disorder, caused (primarily) by the decrease in daylight at this time of year.

You need sunlight on your skin to produce vitamin D (the type we eat is not, chemically, the same thing). This condition is very widespread and can have real and severe symptoms. Mood swings, irritability, depression (I wish like hell they'd come up with a better name for this disease)...they all need to be taken seriously.

I know of several people who suffer from it every year. There is nothing funny or strange about it.

Thank you Greenkey for clearing the matter up, for Anthony :) My sister lives somewhere near Nottingham :wve: