View Full Version : Lip Synching

scion05
14-12-06, 20:44
who else here hates it ?
Miming on shows is bad... anyone here ever seen someone
do it on stage ? I know people do but ive never been to a
concert... its as bad as singing over taped vocals, which im also against :hea:
People like Britney Spears are well known for it, she may only be the
pop princess, but shes definately the queen of mime..

TAKE A LOOK - Britney (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ka8RZyQeY3U)

I dont blame her really, her normal singing live voice isnt fab...

TAKE A LOOK - Madonna (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KUJq90GfMTc)

Why oh why... her live singing is good normally, especially performances
of this song....

george_croft
14-12-06, 20:49
I really dont see the point of going to a concert, if the artist is lip synching:confused:
I didnt go to the britney concert to see her:mad:

scion05
14-12-06, 20:50
Hmmm.... u do realise thats what was going on dont you :|
She doesnt sing live often :vlol:

Kamrusepas
14-12-06, 20:52
I've heard it's because the artist dances and jumps around so the 'singing' would only sound like heavy breathing :p But meh, not really my business as I don't care for this type of music.

george_croft
14-12-06, 20:54
I've heard it's because the artist dances and jumps around so the 'singing' would only sound like heavy breathing :p But meh, not really my business as I don't care for this type of music.

Yeah right Kam, keep telling yourself that......:whi:

:D

scion05
14-12-06, 20:54
I know some people say that and in a sense its true, can you im"haa"gine this...

" cuhum on vogue *deep breath* leaht hyoor... "

//hikari
14-12-06, 20:57
At times Britney hasn't lipsynched.

I will defend other artists .. not Britney in this one.

When some artists appear on TV they lipsynch based on the shows regulation and ability. There are shows that have people come in and they never perform live.

george_croft
14-12-06, 20:58
Bull:) , I saw Madonna perform Get Together in denmark live, she was jumping, dancing and practically tearing the place apart........And she did it perfect, without loosing her voice:D

So, in Britney's case, its the lack of VOICE that ruins it!

Betal
14-12-06, 20:59
Bull:) , I saw Madonna perform Get Together in denmark live, she was jumping, dancing and practically tearing the place apart........And she did it perfect, without loosing her voice:D
[/COLOR]

I saw it too in friday or saturday evening. And then she wasn't mimig but it soundet perfect and she jumped and everything O.o

Bonez
14-12-06, 21:00
IMO, there aint an excuse. If your in that business I think you should be able to sing live.

To go to a concert and have your favourite artists lipsync... cheating your fans!

I'm proud to say Avril has never lipsynced, even if she doesnt sound so good. Shes not perfect but she tries. :D

scion05
14-12-06, 21:01
Betal, you mean on telly ?

Madonna was actually singing on top of her own voice... but
her pre-recorded vocals, where played very low... very good vocal
performance!!!!
mind you... nearly every confessions tour song was like that... but
on the other hand... its barely noticeable cos she sings dead loud :vlol:

Kamrusepas
14-12-06, 21:02
Then again, Kai Jaakkola did an amazing job singing and he kept jumping around the stage for the whole show. Maybe he's just that much better.

No wait, there is no maybe, of course he's better. Plus he's got the most amazing hair in the history of mankind.

Betal
14-12-06, 21:03
Betal, you mean on telly ?

Yes;) I want to see her in real life but...:D

No wait, there is no maybe, of course he's better. Plus he's got the most amazing hair in the history of mankind.

:vlol::vlol:

scion05
14-12-06, 21:04
£160 = too much :(
shame she's the greatest performer ever :(

Titanium
14-12-06, 21:04
£160 to listen to a tape? :rolleyes:

mau3genius
14-12-06, 21:05
There's actually a lot of singers who can move a lot on stage AND perform (with great quality).
Britney Spears is not one of them. Apart from being stupid, she has a really poor voice. I remember once when she performed along with Christina Aguilera, live, she should've been embarrased :p

george_croft
14-12-06, 21:06
Yes;) I want to see her in real life but...:D

It was sooooooo great, I cant explain it with words so: :D :D :jmp: :jmp: :D :D

Kamrusepas
14-12-06, 21:06
:vlol::vlol:

You ain't seen nothing till you've seen his hair live. Man, I still dream about that night.

Bonez
14-12-06, 21:07
Britney Spears is not one of them. Apart from being stupid, she has a really poor voice. I remember once when she performed along with Christina Aguilera, live, she should've been embarrased :p

That trio thing with madonna? Christinas voice was amazing and kinda.. ov er powered..... :D

Lenochka
14-12-06, 21:22
Lip Syncing doesnt bug me much. I don't go to a concert to hear them sing... if i wanted to hear them sing i would listen to the CD or audio of another concert. I go to watch them on stage... watch them interact with the audience. I can understand lip syncing if the song you are performing is a really jumpy song... like hyperactive dance a bunch kinda song... Its extremely hard to dance and sing at the same time, Always gasping for air = Bad sound = mad fans. Now for a singer who isn't doing any dancing and is just lip syncing with no Legit reason... that's just annoying.

And then there are the singers who just stand there and attempt to sing... and suck horribly *cough*Fergie*cough* :vlol:
:whi: Check out around 2:20 :vlol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnsfT4HNO8c

Ampersand
14-12-06, 21:28
Most pop singers do it, and yeah it's pretty lame. If you have no live voice, then, erm, why are you a singer? Though I'd sooner hear someone sing live and miss a couple of notes than watch them miming along to a recording.

Hybrid Soldier
14-12-06, 21:32
Most pop singers do it, and yeah it's pretty lame. If you have no live voice, then, erm, why are you a singer? Though I'd sooner hear someone sing live and miss a couple of notes than watch them miming along to a recording.

Exact opposite for me. I don't want to hear someone sing if they can't sing properly. It's exactly what you said in your second sentence.

george_croft
14-12-06, 21:32
:whi: Check out around 2:20 :vlol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnsfT4HNO8c

OMG, SHE FORGOT HER OWN LYRICS:yik: :yik: :vlol: :vlol:

WTF ? Is the girl glued to the floor:vlol:

Titanium
14-12-06, 21:33
Exact opposite for me. I don't want to hear someone sing if they can't sing properly. It's exactly what you said in your second sentence.

But your listening to a recording which you have heard before. Live brings something different, and even if they miss a few notes, at least there trying to put on a show.

My opinion though. :)

Ampersand
14-12-06, 21:36
But your listening to a recording which you have heard before. Live brings something different, and even if they miss a few notes, at least there trying to put on a show.

Same for me. I'd want my money's worth of course, but I wouldn't want to pay a king's ransom to listen to a CD I have at home.

Hybrid Soldier
14-12-06, 21:38

Yes it does, i completely agree. I like live stuff, but i mean it just makes a person look bad if they miss obvious notes. I mean the real obvious ones that stand out.

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-12-06, 21:52
Most singers lip sync at concerts. Even the best singers I've seen in concert either live or on TV are always a little off key anyway. Singing live is extremely hard, but it's a shame some singers are whimps and think they need to fake it to keep their fans.

tombfan91
14-12-06, 21:53
britney lip syncs and doesn't lip synch. some shows she goes onto she sometimes has to not lip synch. she sings live during her songs but when she gets tired from all thatdancing, or something they play the backing track for a little bit and she begins singing live again. you should watch the live version of her from the elen degeneras show ( sp) she sings live. but you are talking about lip synching in general well.... lip synching is kinda bad but in my opinion if you are a good entertainer on stage it over laps the lip synching.

Forwen
14-12-06, 21:59
I've heard it's because the artist dances and jumps around so the 'singing' would only sound like heavy breathing :p
I've seen Bono running around happily for three hours and singing at the same time. And it'll take much persuasion, blood and screams to convince me U2 perform with a playback. Not full playback anyway.

BoyTRaider
15-12-06, 02:02
Yes, I also hate lypsincers... :mad:

If I spent money to go to a concert, I wanted to hear them live, and not something I could easily hear off the radio.

ivannnnn
15-12-06, 03:18
I do hate lip-synch :mad:..i mock them as a false singer

ace_85
15-12-06, 08:07
Ok, here's my view on the whole thing. You wouldn't put someone with no medical ability in the back of an ambulance and tell them to start saving lives, right? So why on Earth is it considered acceptable for people who clearly can't sing to put on a performance by miming along to a backing track? It's not real talent, and I've personally never been able to understand why people pay good money to go and see those sort of shows.

There are some genuinely fantastic live performers out there, throwing everything they have into their live shows. Sure (as Amp said), they don't always sound perfect, but there's a rawness and connection there that you just don't get from someone miming along to a backing track - that, for me, is what I'm paying to see. If I want to listen to the album, I'll stay at home and save myself Ł30

Angelx14
15-12-06, 09:27
one question.. what is lip synching? O.o

Mona Sax
15-12-06, 09:43
I'd never pay to see a show when the artist can't even do more than just play a tape. Of course live singing and playing doesn't sound perfect, but that doesn't matter at all. Often live shows are even much more energetic and thrilling just because there are little imperfections (or just improvisations) since it's obvious that the artist on the stage really takes the effort to put on a real show for you (and countless other fans in the audience) by performing his/her art rather than faking it.
Sorry, but it's kind of irritating when self-proclaimed musicians refuse to - shock, horror - make music for their audience.

By the way, the exertion of dancing isn't really an excuse. There are plenty of singers who dance and run around on stage all night and can still pull it off. The best example I can give is Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses. While he's considerably cooled down now that he's over 40, he still runs marathons during a show. Sure sometimes he misses a note or he's a bit off-key, but at least it's all real and therefore much more impressive than any lip-synched "concert" could ever be.

Legend of Lara
15-12-06, 11:59
Let's take a look at PAris Hilton's "singing" hm? That is sooooooo obviously not her real voice. :pi:

Legends
15-12-06, 12:09
one question.. what is lip synching? O.o
When someone pretends to sing, but is playing the record instead of doing it.

Some singers can sing live, and people who can’t that are not worth go seeing.

scion05
15-12-06, 15:18
£160 to listen to a tape? :rolleyes:

No silly!
Most of the show is live :)
Taped vocals are played lower than actual microphone... like 30% or summin... u normally cant hear them well :)
LOL
Alot of the time taped ones sound like backing singers :)

DEAR GOD ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ8W_Imr5lI
On the tokyo shows madonna's voice was awful URGH...
and taped vocals keep buggering... jesus... but there is a worse clip..
Earlier in the tour she was fab...

george_croft
15-12-06, 15:44
^ ^ Omg, she didn't sound like that when I saw her performing Get together:o

Anyway, I've just discovered that Britney sounded better when she was a kid;)

Britney, eight years old (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3bEiL5OnSHc)

PS: She gets crazy in the end of her vid:tea:

scion05
15-12-06, 16:02
^^ I know she didnt sound that bad, thats at the end of the tour, sore throat and tired i presume :)

Rickéh
15-12-06, 16:24
Britney is even lip synching at her own TOUR.
she makes easily money then huh? :o
Madonna can sing, but britney not.

I hate britney ;)

Nephili
15-12-06, 16:25
Yea ive seen so many good artists lip synch, mostly because they are dancing or whatever. Or i have heard the backing track played in the background basically for backup if the artist wants to take a breath.

In my opinion, if they are dancing around and putting on a fantastic show, im not really that bothered if they are lip synching because they are still putting on a good show, it all depends on the artist, some may be able to dance and sing, some may not.

At the end of the day, im sure they cant be perfect and have brilliant voices all the time?

Anyway, I preferred Britney when she was younger, this is one of my fav clips of her, shes singing live with a backing track, and she sounds so good in my opinion anyway :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fA04-As7Fpw

scion05
15-12-06, 16:27
She does sound fab there :)
Her backing track is a bit loud, but she sounds alot nicer than she
does now :vlol:

Nephili
15-12-06, 16:33
Yea, if they had to turned the track down a little it would have been better.

Her voice has gone downhill over the years, I find the same with Madonna and Kylie though, that they sounded better at the start of the careers, but thats my opinion and i expect alot of people will disagree.

scion05
15-12-06, 16:35
Kylie's LIVE voice i think is fabulous :) And i think the same of madonna's...
but as with all singers, they have there ups and downs..

Nephili
15-12-06, 16:39
Im not saying their bad singers, i think they have good voices, i just prefer their older stuff. I think their voices were great back then.

Lara Lover
15-12-06, 16:55
One of my favourite MATM performances from Britney. Sings some live but, not all. :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_wFg_BZvfE&mode=related&search=

Lara Lover
15-12-06, 16:57
This one too. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPnf6JwFFjA

Lara Lover
15-12-06, 17:06
Outrageous singing Britney! Oops I Did It Again DWAD Performance. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHvzVOYdbQ

Lenochka
15-12-06, 20:30
Anyway, I preferred Britney when she was younger, this is one of my fav clips of her, shes singing live with a backing track, and she sounds so good in my opinion anyway :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fA04-As7Fpw

Loooove that song =3 Brings back memories

Anyways... I have noticed a lot of people talking about how they go to concerts and spend money to hear the singer live xD Who the hell actually pays money just to hear the song live? Couldn't they just download MP3s of a live performance for much cheaper? I think people go to concerts to see there favorite artists in person. I would much rather see a performance of lip syncing because usually the reason for the lip syncing is to have a performance full of dances, running about jumping up and down keeping the fans interested then watch them stand around and sing... I would actually leave a concert if it was just standing around... to boring

Mona Sax
15-12-06, 20:35
Anyways... I have noticed a lot of people talking about how they go to concerts and spend money to hear the singer live xD Who the hell actually pays money just to hear the song live? Couldn't they just download MP3s of a live performance for much cheaper? I think people go to concerts to see there favorite artists in person. I would much rather see a performance of lip syncing because usually the reason for the lip syncing is to have a performance full of dances, running about jumping up and down keeping the fans interested then watch them stand around and sing...
It's about the entire experience. The music, the people, the show, everything. And a very important part of the magic is that a concert is live and one night only, it's a feeling you can't capture on any media.

tombfan91
16-12-06, 03:22
i think this is pretty good from britney her singing live with a backing track. i think the backing track is lowered a bit on this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fBHDOCTl70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBVjw9YXpE britney puts on a good performance. like madonna they are both entertainers so how they entertain and the amazment of it makes people forget that they may be lip synching or not. some songs they do, they don't lip synch. this link right here is of her lip synching but i believe her entertainment of this song over laps it.