PDA

View Full Version : Teen expelled for handing in gun

Geck-o-Lizard
15-12-06, 12:29
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_348001946.html

Now that's just sending the COMPLETE wrong message to people. They're not going to be able to recover guns from the students if they expell them for handing in guns that aren't even theirs!

Kamrusepas
15-12-06, 12:30
Ditto :rolleyes:

jarhead
15-12-06, 12:35
Pathetic

Schools need to stop jumping to conclusions and assuming everyones bad

Ikas90
15-12-06, 12:38
Oh, please... :(

Apofiss
15-12-06, 12:58
Quite a strict over-reaction from authorities side.. uh

Legends
15-12-06, 13:17
"A 13-year-old Plainfield boy and his parents are stunned and outraged after the teen found a gun in school and turned it in to authorities, who then expelled him."

He did the moral thing, and he gets expelled.
How can they do this?!

TombRaiderLover
15-12-06, 14:02
He gets expelled for turning in a gun he found?
How does that work?
This is beyond ordinary human behaviour.

Catlantean
15-12-06, 14:05
And today's lesson is: if you find a gun in your school, keep it :rolleyes:

JANKERSON
15-12-06, 14:10
It was even a real gun... It was a pellet gun. :rolleyes:

Jacob x5
15-12-06, 16:27
Christ almighty. A boy tries to keep people safe and he gets punished for it? They should be looking for the culprit, not just suddenly thinking "he's got a pellet gun! Expel him!" — that's just stupid. The boy did the right thing, but I guess now even the right thing is the wrong thing. It's ****ing ridiculous.

Mr.Burns
15-12-06, 16:38
No weapons policies in US schools have become extremely strict ever since the Columbine incident. That doesn't justify what happened to this kid, though.

Cochrane
15-12-06, 16:57
Strict policies only make sense if the people who apply them have any sense. I guess the situation from the headmasters point of view was "This guy has a gun, turned it in for some reason and says it's not his to avoid punishment, even though it's his". There has to be some sort of corrective for parents to appeal against such a decision. If there isn't, we'll have situations like in Umbridge's time.

One particular case I loved was when a guy was expelled from his school because a teacher heard him say that he uses PHP, and the teacher thought it was a drug.

Mr.Burns
15-12-06, 17:02
Strict policies only make sense if the people who apply them have any sense. I guess the situation from the headmasters point of view was "This guy has a gun, turned it in for some reason and says it's not his to avoid punishment, even though it's his". There has to be some sort of corrective for teachers to appeal against such a decision. If there isn't, we'll have situations like in Umbridge's time.

One particular case I loved was when a guy was expelled from his school because a teacher heard him say that he uses PHP, and the teacher thought it was a drug.

Fear clouds judgment as we all know. Though my guess is that the school administrators are being so strict to ensure that the local community (the ones most likely to overreact without thinking about the issue) doesn't flip out and start causing an uproar.

PirateRose
15-12-06, 17:04
I had an art project one time, and I was being a little uncreative and decided that in the background, far left, near the edge, there'd be a Club called The Club, with a picture of a Club from a deck of cards. My Art Teacher accused me of being in a gang because apparently a Club from a deck of cards is a gangster symbol. She called the principle on me and the principle didn't see it as a gangster symbol, so I was allowed to keep it on there. The Art Show came around, and I went to look at my picture and she had chosen this big fat frame that covered up the Club...

If it had mattered that much to me I would have flipped out, but I had put little effort in it in the first place so I let her get away with it. She's was pyscho anyways.

Nephili
15-12-06, 17:15
Thats just stupid >.<

Punaxe
15-12-06, 18:13
I have one conclusion: that gun illegally belonged to someone in the school's staff :P

BlackGrey
15-12-06, 19:20
And today's lesson is: if you find a gun in your school, keep it :rolleyes:

:vlol:

Flipper1987
16-12-06, 01:25
I'm thinking that there is a HECK of a lot of information about this story that we don't know about. Administrators and school boards simply don't hand out lengthy expulsions like this one merely because a boy found a gun and turned it in.

FLIPPER

viper456
16-12-06, 01:44
well. to be honest, i woudlnt put anything past alot of teachers. Im not saying they are all awful but practically all of them are control freaks and the power they have over the kids has gone to their heads. And my dad is a teacher so i dont actually hate all teachers just most :p

But seriously, if all he did was hand in a gun and this is what happened where is the justice?!

I mean, my brother is doing his GCSE mocks and someone asked to go to the toilet during an exam 3 times and was told NO each time. As a result the 15/16 year old boy wet themselves in the middle of an exam hall...If it was me i would of actually just walked out. its pathetic. Bit off the point but still annoys me.

But as flipper said, there is alot of info we dont know but if it is accurate its a load of crap!

kewlkyle64
16-12-06, 05:49
That's ridiculous. You get told to always do the right thing, you do... Bam. Your expelled.