PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with installation graphic card driver

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 15:24
I just received my new graphic card, an nvidia 6200 for PCI slot (not PCI express). I installed the hardware and wanted to install the software. I used the CD and installed it. After a few minutes there was a black screen with a cursor in the DOS system. I didn't know what to do and I switched my PC off. When I now switch my PC on, there is everything black but I can hear the sounds of Windows. What should I do now? The onboard graphic card still works. Thank you in advance.

EscondeR
15-12-06, 16:17
I just received my new graphic card, an nvidia 6200 for PCI slot (not PCI express). I installed the hardware and wanted to install the software. I used the CD and installed it. After a few minutes there was a black screen with a cursor in the DOS system. I didn't know what to do and I switched my PC off. When I now switch my PC on, there is everything black but I can hear the sounds of Windows. What should I do now? The onboard graphic card still works. Thank you in advance.

Boot in the Safe mode, go to: http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/index.html download Diagnose.exe, run it and post the results here.

OR you can press F8 after Power ON Self Test and in Windows Boot Menu select "Boot with previous good configuration" and do all that I suggested above. If all boots in this mode you can try updating your drivers from Device manager ;)

Joseph
15-12-06, 16:53
I assume you changed from onboard graphics to a graphic card. You do not mention if you first uninstalled the previous drivers, rebooted, set the graphics to 'standard VGA', rebooted, opened BIOS and disabled onboard graphics, and enabled that the first VGA device from now on must be PCI.

You still can do this.

EscondeR
15-12-06, 16:59
Hi Joseph :wve:
I thought about that, but as it seems the main problem is to boot and be able to see anything, so... the advice was :)

Joseph
15-12-06, 17:38
Hi Esconder. :wve: Umm.. your link is not working. And in safe mode i think the cause of the problem will remain: that in BIOS, PCI is not set as first VGA device to boot.

EscondeR
15-12-06, 17:52
mmm... Reasonable...
Link edited ;)

Joseph
15-12-06, 18:00
mmm... Reasonable...
:D :tmb: :hug: (sometimes smilies speak louder than words)

But in the mean time: apparently Anniversary Lara is still in darkness... :(

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 19:40
Is the diagnose.exe the same as dxdiag? Because on the other computer I don't have internet at the moment. Could I post these information, from dxdiag?

I fromated my computer and the problem still is, when I want to install the driver of the new card, during the installation there comes that black screen with the white DOS cursor and it stays there, no matter how long I wait. Why is that?

Joseph
15-12-06, 19:44
dxdiag is the same, only without info about the Tomb Raider games.

If you could post the dxdiag report that would be great!

But still: you should check in BIOS, have you done that? :)

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 19:49
No I didn't. I should deinstall my current graphic card driver? Will I be able to see anything then?

Joseph
15-12-06, 19:57
YES because Windows will use its default, standard, VGA driver. It operates at lowest settings. This instruction should be in the manual with your card.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 20:04
No I didn't. I should deinstall my current graphic card driver? Will I be able to see anything then?

YES because Windows will use its default, standard, VGA driver. It operates at lowest settings. This instruction should be in the manual with your card.

Don't be affraid. We're here to help you if something goes wrong. :)

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 20:06
By the way, hi everyone :wve:

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 20:19
I assume you changed from onboard graphics to a graphic card. You do not mention if you first uninstalled the previous drivers, rebooted, set the graphics to 'standard VGA', rebooted, opened BIOS and disabled onboard graphics, and enabled that the first VGA device from now on must be PCI.

You still can do this.

Okay, I deinstallated the onboard graphic card drivers and it's like how you explained. But I don't the get the "set the graphics to 'standard VGA'" thing, I skipped that now and I'm in BIOS. How is the line called, where I have to disable the onboard graphic card? I can't find it because I don't know how it is called.

But anyway I'm so afraid about the installation itself because of the black DOS screen which appears during the installation. Why?? What do I wrong? Will it work when the onboard graphic card is disabled???

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 20:27
How is the line called, where I have to disable the onboard graphic card? I can't find it because I don't know how it is called.

That depends on BIOS. Look for anything that has to do with "display" or "graphics". What BIOS do you have?

But anyway I'm so afraid about the installation itself because of the black DOS screen which appears during the installation. Why?? What do I wrong? Will it work when the onboard graphic card is disabled???

And again, don't worry too much. We'll cross that bridge when and if we get to it.

Joseph
15-12-06, 20:27
Yes your Windows will remain displayed, via the standard VGA drivers, it only looks ugly that's all.

Joseph
15-12-06, 20:29
In the BIOS on this PC i am on right now it is located in "Integrated Peripherals". Look there.

By the way, hi everyone :wve:Hi , Lord icon. :wve:

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 20:32
I have the version 1.21.12. But I can't find anything with "display" or "graphics". Under which menu is it? Features Setup? There are many onboard things like Audio, Modem, Midi, Game. But no display or graphics.

"Integrated Peripherals" where is that?

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 20:33
Try under "Integrated Peripherals" like Joseph suggested. Each BIOS is a bit different. Most of them have "Integrated Peripherals" menu.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 20:36
It isn't there.

Joseph
15-12-06, 20:36
Which BIOS do you have, Anniversary Lara? Amibios?

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 20:37
Which BIOS is that? Ami? Phoenix?

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 20:39
It's Amibios. Version 1.21.12

Joseph
15-12-06, 20:54
I just checked: it is in 'Onboard devices configuration' here. AMIBIOS on ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 21:03
I just checked: it is in 'Onboard devices configuration' here. AMIBIOS on ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe.

There is no line 'Onboard devices configuration' either.

Okay, I looked again. My BIOS is Amibios Simple Setup Version 1.21.12.

Under "Features Setup" I have:

Onboard FDC
Onboard Serial PortA
Onboard IR Port
Onboard Parallel Port
Parallel Port Mode
Parallel Port IRQ
Parrallel Port DMA
Onboard Game Port
Onboard Midi Port
Midi Port IRQ
Onboard PCI IDE
Audio Device
Modem Device
Ethernet Device
USB Function Support
USB Function for DOS

Is it one of these?

Joseph
15-12-06, 21:23
No, that is completely different to mine.
What options do you have in
Onboard PCI IDE
?

Joseph
15-12-06, 21:25
Can you try to determine which exact motherboard you have? Everest Home Edition (http://www.jozefdekkers.nl/everesthome200.zip).

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 21:25
Here is a link that I think is for your BIOS (http://64.168.125.230/support/SyntaxDownloads/download_manuals/manual_s650gxm.pdf) (pdf format). Is that the one you have? If so scroll down to page 25 and compare the settings with yours. The settings are in PCI/Plug and Play Setup menu.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 21:29
My mainboard is PCChips M810DLU. Do you remember this thread? (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=80165) ;)

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 21:34
Onboard PCI IDE
?

Both
Disabled
Primary
Secondary

Here is a link that I think is for your BIOS (http://64.168.125.230/support/SyntaxDownloads/download_manuals/manual_s650gxm.pdf) (pdf format). Is that the one you have? If so scroll down to page 25 and compare the settings with yours. The settings are in PCI/Plug and Play Setup menu.

It seems to be the same on page 25.

Joseph
15-12-06, 21:41
Onboard PCI IDE
?
Both
Disabled
Primary
Secondary
From that list, i would say onboard PCI IDE should be 'Both'.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 21:41
It seems to be the same on page 25.

Just a question... but... did you plugged your monitor's cable to the new graphics card on the back of your computer after installing it? Or is it still plugged to the old card?

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 21:44
Joseph, it is already set on 'both'.

Lord Icon, yes it is plugged to the new graphic card.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 21:47
According to the guide of your BIOS that option still allows the onboard display to work and allows the use of a second display card installed in a PCI slot. It seems like you don't need to "disable" the one onboard.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 21:50
yes it is plugged to the new graphic card.

OK. Another question... are you sure that the new graphics card is firmly installed in the slot? Not loose?

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 22:02
Yes, it is. This is not the problem. Should I try to install the driver again? What about the DOS screen and the cursor that appears and stays there during the installation?

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:07
Yes, it is.

Of course it is since you can see the BIOS screen.

Can you access the Safe Mode? If you can just boot in the Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers and/or the software you've already installed for the new card. Then reboot. The Windows should use the standard VGA drivers after that.

Joseph
15-12-06, 22:11
Is the new card still in? IMO you should take out the card.
Then boot up the PC.
Remember, while booting, CANCEL all Windows messages (about found new hardware)!
Then uninstall the old chip's drivers (if they are still there).
Then shut off the PC. Put in the new card. Reboot. CANCEL all Windows messages (about found new hardware)!
Start installing the new drivers.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 22:18
I'm already that far, I formated my computer and then I deinstallated the drivers from the onboard graphic card. Then I wanted to switch the onboard card in BIOS off but it seems to be okay as it is, right? So, should I install the graphic card with the CD? When I formated the computer the new card was still in there.

Joseph
15-12-06, 22:21
Try to install the new drivers. Let's see what it does. :)

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:23
Since you formatted the hard drive and installed the Windows and since your monitor is connected to your new card it looks like you can see Windows desktop, right? In this case go ahead and install the drivers from the CD.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:25
After that's done (and everything is working) you will have to go to the Device Manager and disable the old card from there to avoid any problems in the future.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 22:33
I have not installed the new driver now but I deinstalled the driver from the old card. Is it deactivated then? Because I can't find the old card in the Device Magager anymore.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:37
Now try to install the drivers for the new card and let's see how that goes. Leave the old card alone for now.

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:41
I have not installed the new driver now but I deinstalled the driver from the old card. Is it deactivated then? Because I can't find the old card in the Device Magager anymore.

I don't think so. It could be listed as "Unknown Device". But as I said above don't worry about that right now.

Anniversary Lara
15-12-06, 22:49
I got it! It is installed! Thank you so much! :hug:

Lord Icon
15-12-06, 22:53
Is everything working OK? Reboot a couple of times, start some programs to verify.

If everything is OK then good work!

raiderfun
15-12-06, 23:30
Is everything working OK? Reboot a couple of times, start some programs to verify.

If everything is OK then good work!

Yes , she told me that everything was Ok ! :) ;)

Anniversary Lara
16-12-06, 15:46
TRL is running very well, I'm so happy :jmp: Thank you again guys :hug:

Joseph
16-12-06, 20:43
Well done, Anniversary Lara! :tmb: Enjoy the game. :)