PDA

View Full Version : Chinese River Dolphin has been decleared extinct...

Lost_Raider
15-12-06, 17:24
The first mammal species that is extinct in modern time...

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_River_Dolphin

http://blog.baiji.org/2006/12/13/the-race-goes-on/#more-55

Just a lesson that economic developement and animal wildlife don't mix...

Kamrusepas
15-12-06, 17:26
Ohh, no :(

Anubis_AF
15-12-06, 17:27
As other extinct animals, this is mainly human's fault. Poor animals.

rika2
15-12-06, 17:28
weird, if you click on that wikipedia link... it just says rubbish, no info at all... I think someone edited it...

ELEN
15-12-06, 17:30
Oh :(

Indeed!!

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 17:33
Yes, but remember, not all of the human species is bad. ;)

This is sad news. :(

stereopathic
15-12-06, 17:34
it is a collective failure and a sorrowful loss.

da tomb raider!
15-12-06, 17:35
That sucks. :(

interstellardave
15-12-06, 17:39
I saw video clip on TV just last night of one of those Chinese "dolphin hunts". It was disgusting... the water for as far as the eye could see was red with blood. :mad:

tomblover
15-12-06, 17:50
NO! :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Dolphin's are so friendly and cute... :cen: HUMAN KIND! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:( :( :( :( :( :(

jarhead
15-12-06, 17:51

Exacly,

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:06
Okay, let's not turn this into a human kind bash thread, since we are all humans, but I can bet none of us contributed to the extinction of this particular species.

@Tomblover: **** human kind?
Hello, you are a human!

tr_mitch
15-12-06, 18:12
Okay, let's not turn this into a human kind bash thread, since we are all humans, but I can bet none of us contributed to the extinction of this particular species.

Hello, you are a human!

Why can we not hate being the species that we are?

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:14
Why can we not hate being the species that we are?
I didn't say you can't.
But doesn't it sort of mean you hate yourself, to a certain extent?

tr_mitch
15-12-06, 18:16
I didn't say you can't.
But doesn't it sort of mean you hate yourself, to a certain extent?

In a way Yes.
But it's like if you had ginger hair, and hated it... Theres nothing you can really do but live with it, but doesn't mean you hate it any less.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:18
In a way Yes.
But it's like if you had ginger hair, and hated it... Theres nothing you can really do but live with it, but doesn't mean you hate it any less.
I suppose.
But does hating the human species also mean hating you and I?
Not just yourself.

tr_mitch
15-12-06, 18:19
I suppose.
But does hating the human species also mean hating you and I?
Not just yourself.

Not hating you as a person, Just hating what we are and what we have became as a species.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:21
Not hating you as a person, Just hating what we are and what we have became as a species.
I see your point.
Although I do not hate what I am, I myself have not contributed to any terrorism, destruction, extinction etc.

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:21
Hello, you are a human! I meant that humans are (I know I'm a human too but whatever!) real :cen:'s when it comes to taking care of animals and wildlife and making sure they're safe. (Except that Crocodile Hunter guy that died. :()

da tomb raider!
15-12-06, 18:22
I meant that humans are (I know I'm a human too but whatever!) real :cen:'s when it comes to taking care of animals and wildlife and making sure they're safe. (Except that Crocodile Hunter guy that died. :()

Many humans do their best to take care of animals and such. Look at anyone who has a pet, for an example.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:25
I meant that humans are (I know I'm a human too but whatever!) real :cen:'s when it comes to taking care of animals and wildlife and making sure they're safe. (Except that Crocodile Hunter guy that died. :()
May I point out that there are probably millions of people on this planet who care for the conservation of animals.
Such as conservationists and even people who donate to wildlife conservation charities.

tr_mitch
15-12-06, 18:25
Many humans do their best to take care of animals and such. Look at anyone who has a pet, for an example.

Many of your normal 'pets' are not becoming extinct. It's more ones which live in tropical area's such as the amazon ect, which is predicted to be none existant in so many years.

tlr online
15-12-06, 18:26
That's a great shame :(

da tomb raider!
15-12-06, 18:27
Many pets are not becoming extinct. It's more ones which live in tropical area's such as the amazon ect, which is predicted to be none existant in so many years.

And there are many people who are looking after near-extincted animals.

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:29
OK, to clear this up, I hate CHINA's "human" kind for thinking animals are total ****ing bull**** compared to humans! (I won't bother to use the :cen: smilie anymore. :mad:)

tr_mitch
15-12-06, 18:29
And there are many people who are looking after near-extincted animals.

But not nearly enough to make a difference.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:30
Thing is, yes, there are a lot of humans who endanger animals and such.
But there are also millions of really kind people out there.
So the human race is a but of both IMO.

@Tomblover: So now you are racist towards the Chinese for actions of (probably) the minority?

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:39
@Tomblover: So now you are racist towards the Chinese for actions of (probably) the minority? I'm NOT a racist, believe me. I love China and their culture and everything, (I did go a bit too far with the "human" kind", I admit that. Sorry if I offended anyone.) but not the way some Chinese people treat animals.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:41
I'm NOT a racist, believe me. I love China and their culture and everything, (I did go a bit too far with the "human" kind", I admit that.) but not their way of treating animals.
But remember, not all Chines people treat animals badly. ;)
Which is like the controversy over Muslims, some people say all Muslims are terrorists, they're obviously not, but some people are that bad.

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:44
But remember, not all Chines people treat animals badly. ;)
Which is like the controversy over Muslims, some people say all Muslims are terrorists, they're obviously not, but some people are that bad. I wrote the wrong way, check edited post.

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:45
I wrote the wrong way, check edited post.
Ok, but let me assure you, this sort of thing isn't only happening in China.

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:46
Ok, but let me assure you, this sort of thing isn't only happening in China. I am aware of that. ;)

Mad Tony
15-12-06, 18:47
I am aware of that. ;)
Are you?
That's good.
Because for a while it looked like you had something personal against China.

tomblover
15-12-06, 18:48
Are you?
That's good.
Because for a while it looked like you had something personal against China. That made things more clear. Good.

Jacob x5
15-12-06, 19:48
This is a shame.

I don't like the way Wikipedia articles can be freely edited by anyone, because this makes it a non-reliable source of information. I have, in the past, edited an article because I knew that a part of it was wrong/incomplete. I have seen an article where some idiot thought it might be funny to remove it and write a load of gibberish.

Listen to me. :D Yeah, it's a shame that the Chinese River Dolphin is extinct. :D

Greenkey2
15-12-06, 19:49
This is very sad, all the more so for being preventable :(.

Reggie
15-12-06, 21:39
Lost for words...its always saddens me to hear about endangered species but extinction...:(

Has anybody been watching this programme here in the UK called Extinct? I don't really know what to make of it. On the one hand its good that it raises awareness and money for endangered species. On the other hand I don't like the way it is made so that people have to "vote" for their favourite...it just seems so ironic that this kind of news would come at a time when the public are so concious of it. Or perhaps many just choose to ignore it? such chinese politicians?...rant over.

Lenochka
15-12-06, 21:48
Tis a pity... but i guess it would have happened sooner or later... Dang hunters will go after anything for an easy rush.

Ampersand
15-12-06, 21:49
OMG! I can't believe it, that's just terrible. I'd never have thought that creatures I've seen in documentaries would become extinct in my lifetime. :(

Hurrah4Lara
15-12-06, 22:07
Yes, it is so sad.:(

Lost for words...its always saddens me to hear about endangered species but extinction...:(

Has anybody been watching this programme here in the UK called Extinct? I don't really know what to make of it. On the one hand its good that it raises awareness and money for endangered species. On the other hand I don't like the way it is made so that people have to "vote" for their favourite...it just seems so ironic that this kind of news would come at a time when the public are so concious of it.Reggie, I have seen this programme and had some similar thoughts. Oh well, let us hope this news may avert the next extinction.:hea:

H4L:wve:

Lost_Raider
15-12-06, 23:08
Well, look it the other way, it is a bloody mircale the ceature manage to survived that long...

I mean, it lived in one of the world's busiest water ways with human interference everyday...they have extreme diffculty in reproducing, and when the conservation start in the 1990, there are only around few hudrend left...I wish for something better, but ths just an uphill battle for both the dolphins and the scientists that have been working for the past few decades to save it...

As for misconceptions...no we don't intentionally hunt dolpins...it died becase of the garbage and the chemicals we dumped into the river (a typical example that profit is above the law)...and the Three Gorges Dam we build to fuel the economy aren't helping either...

SpongeBob Lover
15-12-06, 23:15
thats why i think why on earth we were put here :( its just sad to know that there will be no chinese water dolphin ever :( :( :mad: :mad:

Taker Fan
16-12-06, 04:34
This is just so sad.:( I never ever seen one in real life.

Ikas90
16-12-06, 04:41
Poor dolphins. That is so sad :(

ALL HUMAN KIND SHALL DIE :mad:

kewlkyle64
16-12-06, 04:42
Its sad, but humans have to learn to live with their mistakes. It's their own fault. This creature could have LIVED if it weren't for humans... but it's too late for that. But why make the same mistake again? Humans need to realize... You've already taken most of the world's land... Why take all of it?

interstellardave
16-12-06, 04:50
Humans are humans--like dolphins are dolphins. We cannot help our place in the world, nor how we act as a species (well, we can change but not fast enough, seemingly). We're intelligent enough to really care about what's going on (some of us) but, by the same token, our impulses drive us to behaviors that are endangering other forms of life on our planet. Rest assured, though, that far more extinctions occur because of asteroid impacts, Super-volcanos, etc. The next time something really big happens all kinds of species will die off and more than likely few of us will survive to mourn them either--maybe Mankind itself won't survive! But the Earth will, and Life will continue and repopulate the Earth with new and fantastic creatures!

kewlkyle64
16-12-06, 04:53
The next time something really big happens all kinds of species will die off and more than likely few of us will survive to mourn them either--maybe Mankind itself won't survive! But the Earth will, and Life will continue and repopulate the Earth with new and fantastic creatures!

Will one of the species ruin the planet and kill of half of the other species? :rolleyes:

interstellardave
16-12-06, 04:57
Will one of the species ruin the planet and kill of half of the other species? :rolleyes:

Man hasn't killed off half the species on the Earth! Your feelings are admirable, and do you credit, but those numbers are quite a bit off! In fact scientists firmly believe there are thousands of species that we haven't even cataloged yet. ;)

kewlkyle64
16-12-06, 04:59
Man hasn't killed off half the species on the Earth! Your feelings are admirable, and do you credit, but those numbers are quite a bit off! In fact scientists firmly believe there are thousands of species that we haven't even cataloged yet. ;)

Well... I didn't mean literally. :p

interstellardave
16-12-06, 05:04
Well... I didn't mean literally. :p

Yeah, I figured... the things some of our fellow human beings do are so horrible, and it's so sad. It does seem that we are ruining our planet too, but I'm a firm believer that we are really only ruining it for ourselves! No matter what happens, Life will find a way to thrive--just look at the topic someone posted about fish living in molten sulfur (or something like that)! Weird! We may just kill ourselves off one day but I'm sure that our legacy won't be that we rendered the planet incapable of recovery. That thought comforts me. :D

Mad Tony
16-12-06, 08:46
ALL HUMAN KIND SHALL DIE :mad:
:rolleyes:
Are you serious?
I guess you forgot that your closest friends, family and yourself are all humans.

tomblover
16-12-06, 08:50
:rolleyes:
Are you serious?
I guess you forgot that your closest friends, family and yourself are all humans. Don't take people's sayings so literally, MT. :ohn:

Mad Tony
16-12-06, 08:51
Don't take people's sayings so literally, MT. :ohn:
I knew he didn't mean it, but that's still quite evil, wouldn't you say? :p

tomblover
16-12-06, 09:04
I knew he didn't mean it, but that's still quite evil, wouldn't you say? :p Hmm, yes and no. ;)

Jacob x5
16-12-06, 09:04
How exactly do they know that they're all dead? They might just be hiding. :D

Mad Tony
16-12-06, 09:05
Hmm, yes and no. ;)
So you don't think what he said was evil? :yik:

tomblover
16-12-06, 09:09
So you don't think what he said was evil? :yik: I wouldn't call it "evil", just that he maybe overreacted.

Mad Tony
16-12-06, 09:09
I wouldn't call it "evil", just that he maybe overreacted.
It depends really.
Although I did think it sounded evil.

tomblover
16-12-06, 09:16
It depends really.
Although I did think it sounded evil. It's different for every person, some may think he sounded evil, some do not think so. I'm latter kind of person.

AnthonyShock1515
16-12-06, 15:16
Disgusting.

This is just the beginning unfortunatley.:(