PDA

View Full Version : TR II - no music or cutscenes

GlennNZ
17-12-06, 08:42
Hi. I'm trying to get the sound and cut scenes to work for TR2. This version comes from the boxed TR Trilogy.

I got TR1 working using all the hacks from tombraiderchronicles.com and TR3 works fine (unless there is meant to be a cutscene at the very beginning).

However, the music and cutscenes don't show in TR2. The sound and FMVs are there though. I'm assuming the cutscene from the Great Wall level is meant to play just before the level ends; instead the level just ends immediately as if there was never meant to be a cutscene.

I have used the TR XP/Vista updater for TR2 and I've adjusted the compatibility settings to no avail. I don't really know what else to try so I'm open to ideas. I suppose I could use a virtual machine and install win 98.

Thanks

Glenn

Simulation
17-12-06, 11:54
Welcome to the forums GlennNZ :wve:

Do you have 2 DVD/CD drives?

» The FMV sequences are not played or the conversation is missing.
If you have two CD-ROM drives make sure the CD is run from the first drive.

EscondeR
17-12-06, 11:54
I got TR1 working using all the hacks from tombraiderchronicles.com

They are not hacks :( Not allowed here!

Use the patch OR apply Win98 Compatibility mode NOT both!
Read http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr2.html ;)

GlennNZ
17-12-06, 20:43
I have a single CD/DVD drive. I've tried it on both my laptop and desktop machine.

I have also tried this patched and unpatched in win95, win98/Me and normal compatibility modes but still no music or cutscenes.

Has anyone had issues with the trilogy version?

TR FAN 18
17-12-06, 21:11
What's your CD Drive letter? I had a CD Drive and it was E: before. After changing it to D: ALL the music and everything was working.

GlennNZ
17-12-06, 22:16
My laptop uses drive D: and the desktop uses F:
I changed the drive to D: on the desktop but still the same results. Seemed like a good idea though.

Simulation
17-12-06, 22:25
Some TR2 CDs have missing sound tracks and this may be the problem.

TR1 and TR2 CD-ROMs are both mixed-mode Data + Audio CD format. Place your CD into the drive and exit any Autorun menu. Now start Microsoft Media Player or Real Player and select the CD-ROM drive. You should see and be able to play 9 audio tracks for TR1 and 60 tracks for TR2. You know you have a problem if either you cannot see the tracks or the tracks are silent (Visulisation doesn't move during play). Alternatively, you can place the TR CD in a standard CD player to listen to the sound tracks. If they don't play you will need to create a replacement CD.

» Tomb Raider I & II Audio Fix for Sold Out version (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/traudio.html)

GlennNZ
18-12-06, 02:09
Oh, I should have realised that when, unlike TR1, TR2 didn't work in my stereo. I suppose I igored it because my version isn't the sold out version.

So I have made a mixed session disk using Nero Express and I've had partial success. Yes, the cut scenes and music now work, but all the tracks are in the wrong order so the cutscene in the Great Wall level has the wrong audio. The title music doesn't play at all.

I have copied tracks 2-61 and according to Nero, track 1 is 02.wma and track 2 is 03.wma etc. Are the .wma files named correctly?

mizuno_suisei
18-12-06, 02:46
I have the exact same problem, Cutscenes wont play but music DOES work. How did you make the cutscenes work? :)

GlennNZ
18-12-06, 02:51
I have the exact same problem, Cutscenes wont play but music DOES work. How did you make the cutscenes work? :)

It seems like the cutscenes are dependent upon the audio. So if a cutscene's audio isn't there or it's corrupted, it skips the cutscene.

As it turns out, you do actually need tracks 1-61 NOT 2-61 as mentioned in the audio fix (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/traudio.html). My experience might be isolated to the Trilogy version though.

Now that it's all sorted, it's time for some tomb raiding.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Glenn

Simulation
18-12-06, 08:47
As it turns out, you do actually need tracks 1-61 NOT 2-61

Glad to see you are up and running :tmb: Can you let us know the manufacturer of the Boxed set?

I'll look into the audio track issue.

mizuno_suisei
18-12-06, 09:40
I have the Sold-Out version and the Audio Works, even the cutscene audio, but the things just dont play :( :confused:

GlennNZ
18-12-06, 10:24
Glad to see you are up and running :tmb: Can you let us know the manufacturer of the Boxed set?

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000X45E4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56495535_.jpg

It's from Eidos Interactive.

GlennNZ
18-12-06, 10:26
I have the Sold-Out version and the Audio Works, even the cutscene audio, but the things just dont play :( :confused:

So in your case, does the screen go black during a cutscene and the audio for it keeps on playing?

mizuno_suisei
18-12-06, 11:01
Well, I opened WinMediaPlayer and I could select the audio tracks and they worked.

As for the cutscene, The level ends (Diving Area for example) and suddenly the Statistics screen comes up a bluish colour. No Cutscene audio at all :(

Joseph
18-12-06, 17:32
Mizuno:
1. CD MUST be in player with lowest drive letter ("D" is lower than "E") if you have more than one player.
2. On most XP PC's, TR2 runs perfectly in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode. Right-click on the SETUP shortcut in Start > All Programs > Core Design > TR2. If you do apply that, do NOT use any patch.
3. ALWAYS quit the autorun of the game.
4. ALWAYS launch the game from the PLAY shortcut in Start > All Programs > Core Design > TR2.

Simulation
22-12-06, 22:03
As it turns out, you do actually need tracks 1-61 NOT 2-61 as mentioned in the audio fix (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/traudio.html).

I found the problem. I copied Track 61 to Track1 (pretend data), but the track title was still track 61. Depending on how the tracks sorted when imported this could lead to track1 being imported as track61.

I am renaming the tracks correctly and will issue a new set.