PDA

View Full Version : 17month Girl Dead Over A Gaming Console!

BlueJunkie
18-12-06, 20:32
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16225843.htm

Trial for father in killing of tot who broke video game
By Julie Shaw
Inquirer Staff Writer

This was Tyrone Spellman's explanation to police: He "snapped" after he thought his daughter had broken a $600 Xbox game console.

Alayiah Turman was only 17 months old, born March 29, 2005. Spellman beat her to death, prosecutors say.

In an alleged confession read at his preliminary hearing yesterday, Spellman, 25, said he was playing one of Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon" games - a violent combat epic - in a front bedroom of his family's Brewerytown home that Thursday morning, Sept. 7. He had taken Alayiah into the room so her mother, Mia Turman, could rest.

"She pulled the cord and the whole game console fell over," Spellman said in his statement, read by Homicide Detective John ****ings. "I thought it was broken. I popped her in the face. I picked her up and tossed her in a chair."

Later that day - at 12:37 p.m. - Alayiah was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital.

Spellman, also known as Anwar Salahuddin, was held for trial by order of Municipal Court Judge Gerard A. Kosinski on charges of murder, endangering the welfare of a child, and related offenses.

Alayiah's slaying was one of several child deaths examined by The Inquirer in an October article on the city Department of Human Services and its oversight of child-abuse and neglect cases.

DHS visited Spellman's rowhouse on the 1500 block of North 29th Street twice in August - each time seeing only the baby's mother, Mia Turman, 21, and Alayiah, inside. Turman told the agency that no one else lived there.

In September, Cheryl Ransom-Garner, then DHS commissioner, told The Inquirer that a social worker had reported the child looked happy and had no bruises. But Turman's mother, Marvine Turman, told The Inquirer that she had seen bruises on the child.

Yesterday's hearing focused on the injuries Alayiah suffered on the day she died.

In his statement, Spellman said that after he tossed his daughter in a chair, he put her on a bed. He then went to tell Turman, who was eight months pregnant and sleeping in a different bedroom, that he was going to a store to get "something to smoke and something to eat."

When he returned, Spellman said, Keith Walker - identified after the hearing by Spellman's supporters as a tenant in the house - told him that Alayiah "fell and had blood on her nose."

Spellman called 911 while Walker tried to resuscitate her.

Mia Turman testified yesterday, her voice at times nervous, as Spellman stared at her. Turman and Alayiah had moved into Spellman's house about a month before the child's death.

Turman testified that Spellman woke her about noon Sept. 7 and that, when she saw Alayiah, the baby's nose was bleeding, "the side of her face was bruised," and "she wasn't breathing."

Under cross-examination by Spellman's lawyer, Bobby Hoof, Turman agreed that Spellman had told her Alayiah had fallen off a bed and had been found lying on a barbell.

Edwin Lieberman, the city assistant medical examiner who performed Alayiah's autopsy, testified that in addition to bruises around her head, Alayiah suffered "tremendous injury" inside her head "caused by at minimum three separate blows" to the right side, top and back of her skull.

Alayiah's skull was fractured to the point that a piece of bone had fallen out, he said.

When asked by Assistant District Attorney Yvonne Ruiz what could have caused Alayiah's internal head injuries, Lieberman testified that a fist could have caused them or her head could have struck a smooth surface, such as a tabletop, wall or floor.

Under cross-examination, Lieberman dismissed Hoof's suggestions. "A simple fall as you are suggesting from a bed would not cause a skull fracture," he said. Nor, he said, would falling on a weight.

After the hearing, Turman, surrounded by relatives, let off her anger toward Spellman, who she said showed no remorse.

"My baby don't deserve that," she said.

:(

TombRaiderLover
18-12-06, 20:35
That's shocking. :mad: A 17 month child should NOT have been killed over a gaming console. :mad: Awful father!

Angelus
That's horrible. I'm moved, nearly to tears. That man should be in jail. What Father kills his own daughter, just because of a console? A child is more precious than a ****ing console.

scion05
:hea: ******!!!!:hea:

tlr online
18-12-06, 20:36

jjbennett
18-12-06, 20:36
What a tit. He should be left in a dark room, forever. And before anyone says, this was not caused by video games in my view, personally i use them to vent so i feel this guy was a bit ill already.

Why do you kill a baby over that though?!

J.

Tomb Raider Master
18-12-06, 20:37
What a psycho! :eek: He should rot in prison 'till he dies.

Poor baby... :(

-DEBUG
18-12-06, 20:38
:( What is our world coming to? He killed her just because he thought it was broken!?

jarhead
18-12-06, 20:38
That's shocking. :mad: A 17 month child should NOT have been killed over a gaming console. :mad: Awful father!

No-one should be killed over a consol

I'm sorry but the farther should be shot, honestly what a disgracefull farther

Lenochka
18-12-06, 20:39
Aww... thats really sad. This man needs to get help O.o; I really think he has mental problems or at least extreme anger problems.

Angelus
18-12-06, 20:39
Yes, he thought it was broken. He didn't even check to see if it was okay. The stupid, horrible scum *******.

LadyLaraC
18-12-06, 20:40
That's awful :( :mad:
A games console can be replaced if it's broken, a child cannot :(

Angelus
18-12-06, 20:41

It's not awful; it's goddamn WRONG.

Tomb Raider 5194
18-12-06, 20:46
:eek: Wow I cant believe this, just for pulling a cord :( .

LadyLaraC
18-12-06, 20:47
It's not awful; it's goddamn WRONG.

I know it is, it's really wrong. I was just saying that it's so awful that things like this happen today. I mean, what is the world coming to if people start killing their children over consoles?!

Titanium
18-12-06, 20:48
That poor kid. :(

scion05
I haven't felt close to tears in ages :(

Angelus
I know it is, it's really wrong. I was just saying that it's so awful that things like this happen today. I mean, what is the world coming to if people start killing their children over consoles?!

I know. I'm sorry if I snapped at you, btw. It just angers me that a Father can punch his own child, then throw her into a chair. :hea:

LadyLaraC
18-12-06, 20:50
I know. I'm sorry if I snapped at you, btw. It just angers me that a Father can punch his own child, then throw her into a chair. :hea:

Don't worry
I'm sure it makes everyone angry, it's just disgraceful and wrong :mad:

Mad Tony
18-12-06, 20:52
Wise words Sheepy! :tmb:
This is disgraceful! :mad:

Rivendell
18-12-06, 21:03
I feel sick.

2kool4u
18-12-06, 21:06
I HOPE HE GETS HIS ASS BEAT IN PRISON!!!! Prison inmates dont tolerate child abusers.

Jin Uzuki
18-12-06, 21:07
Just awful. :(

Ampersand
18-12-06, 21:12
Horrifying. :(

nicola1986
18-12-06, 21:16
I HOPE HE GETS HIS ASS BEAT IN PRISON!!!! Prison inmates dont tolerate child abusers.

Ditto. It just sickens me that he gets the chance to live the rest of his life whether in prison or not and that baby didn't, and his life would have been more worthwhile. Hopefully he gets his comeuppance. :mad:

Geck-o-Lizard
18-12-06, 21:22
Btw I don't think this man was the kid's dad. More like the woman's boyfriend, which would help explain his utter carelessness and disregard of the child's safety.

*******. Complete and utter *******.

::PJB::
18-12-06, 21:26
That's horrible... No games console is worth the life of a child (or anybody else for that matter), No matter how much it costs! :(

I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life! :mad:

Lone Raider
18-12-06, 22:02
Sick

Apofiss
18-12-06, 22:21

Kamrusepas
18-12-06, 22:22
A 17 month child should NOT have been killed over a gaming console. :mad:

I don't think anyone should be killed over a gaming console.

saray
18-12-06, 22:24
:(:( that so called " man" is sick in his head. people like him should never be allowed the oppotunity to father again, something that some men crave and can't have.

interstellardave
18-12-06, 22:53
Here comes Jack Thompson again...

amitabha
18-12-06, 22:56
our society sucks. This makes me want to barf on all the media collections I own. The media really can rot the mind and not just with games, but movies, films, etc. That poor little child. It makes me want to cry, this man deserves worse than just prison. Does he even feel guilty that he murdered his little girl?

stereopathic
18-12-06, 23:22
absolutely horrifying. :(

Yuna´s Wish
18-12-06, 23:24
no comments...:( what a *******... I didn´t know that this word was censored...

Hybrid Soldier
18-12-06, 23:53
Thats just digusting. Damn, some people are too obsessed with video games, and that just goes to show it.

Big woop if it broke, you have warranty for it. If not, you could get it fixed.

DREWY
19-12-06, 00:19
Maybe time to have his power supply unplugged or his hard drive removed. You can't call this guy a 'father'.
A father would care far more about his child's life than a replaceable toy.

Kangaroo poo
19-12-06, 00:25
he doesnt deserve 2 have a baby let alone a wife i think that if u kill someone u deserve to be killed why should we let a personr kill there own baby and to think the baby(in stomach)will never see its sister:mad: :mad: :mad: :(

BoyTRaider
19-12-06, 00:32
:yik: Omg... This is one of the worst stories I have ever heard!!! :(

How can a father do that with his own child :mad:... and to make it worse, over a videogame system!!

What the hell is this world coming to??

mtts06
19-12-06, 05:39
ack...

crazy much???

What the helk was he thinking?

Ikas90
19-12-06, 05:51
Oh my Jesus Lord, how much sadder can this world possibly get :eek:

george_croft
19-12-06, 05:56
Poor girl:(

Terminatorvs
19-12-06, 06:13
What's the world coming to?!

Alex Fly
19-12-06, 10:50
OMG ! What an horrible story !! Poor little girl !!! :(

Shame on her stupid "father" !!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

tomblover
19-12-06, 13:26
What an *******! I hate people like that! I just... RAGH! :mad:

**** that *******! I can't stand people killing babies, let alone persons over such meaningless things! :mad: I hope he get's lifetime prison, or even executement! (sp?) (Also, I think he's done enough to get executed. So don't ask.) I didn't read through the article so well, so don't flame me if he get's lifetime prison.

:o I just had to vent a bit...

ELEN
19-12-06, 13:30
Jesus!!!! I can't believe that :mad:

Poor baby :(

JANKERSON
19-12-06, 13:40
A lot more of things like this goes on all the time so it's getting worse.

That guy should be executed so his genes can't contaminate the human race anymore.

danitiwa
19-12-06, 13:45
That man shall porbalby Burn in hell, A CHILD IS A PART OF YOU WHEN YOU KILL YOUR CHILD YOU KILL YOURSELF.

Greenkey2
19-12-06, 13:50
Tragic :( Simply tragic.

pinklaralover
19-12-06, 14:12
That man shall porbalby Burn in hell, A CHILD IS A PART OF YOU WHEN YOU KILL YOUR CHILD YOU KILL YOURSELF.

Tragic :( Simply tragic.

i really hate cruel people like that when i saw this thread i didnt even want to go on it....put him in hell!
go to jail
do the same to himself..
he should rot.:(

danitiwa
19-12-06, 15:03
i really hate cruel people like that when i saw this thread i didnt even want to go on it....put him in hell!
go to jail
do the same to himself..
he should rot.:(

I agree, killing a girl of that age because you have anger management issues?! THAT IS IDIOTIC! AAAAAARGH!! May he die a thousand deaths and feel the wrath of a million torchures! :mad: :hea:

BlueJunkie
19-12-06, 15:04
:( I feel quite bad on posting this now. Sorry forum. :wve:

CuteKittenlol
19-12-06, 16:29
Its discusting.

Mad Tony
19-12-06, 16:31
Its discusting.
Disgusting, dear. ;) :p
That's like the 4th time I've had to correct you on your spelling. :p

CuteKittenlol
19-12-06, 16:33
Disgusting, dear. ;) :p
That's like the 4th time I've had to correct you on your spelling. :p
Typo, dear :p
Im making too many these days.
Just ignore them please XD

Mad Tony
19-12-06, 16:34
Typo, dear :p
Im making too many these days.
Just ignore them please XD
Hmmm.
But the "g" is a far way away from the "c".
It's not like they're next to each other. :p

Cord_Croft
19-12-06, 16:42
That is F****** awful :(

pinklaralover
19-12-06, 16:56
I agree, killing a girl of that age because you have anger management issues?! THAT IS IDIOTIC! AAAAAARGH!! May he die a thousand deaths and feel the wrath of a million torchures! :mad: :hea:

ROT IN HELL! you are absolutely right!

tomblover
19-12-06, 17:09
Hmmm.
But the "g" is a far way away from the "c".
It's not like they're next to each other. :p No, check yourself: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/tomblover_2006/Ramdom%20Stuff/keyboardhehh.png

Grenade
19-12-06, 17:19
That is horrible. :(

Disgusting man. I hope he rots in hell. Poor baby.

Mad Tony
19-12-06, 17:20
No, check yourself: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/tomblover_2006/Ramdom%20Stuff/keyboardhehh.png
Yes, I have seen that.
But a more common typo would be dishusting or disdusting. ;)
Plus that is a laptop, the keys are closer together.
Why don't you check yourself. ;)

tomblover
19-12-06, 17:30
Sorry Mod's for being offtopic, but: MT, my PC has those keys close together. It's almost the exactly same length.

Mad Tony
19-12-06, 17:33
Sorry Mod's for being offtopic, but: MT, my PC has those keys close together. It's almost the exactly same length.
But it's not about your PC.
It's not about you in fact. ;)

Me and Alex were taking things as a joke and you seem to poke your nose in even though it had nothing to do with you.
As you would say "check yourself". ;)

tomblover
19-12-06, 17:36
But it's not about your PC.
It's not about you in fact. ;)

Me and Alex were taking things as a joke and you seem to poke your nose in even though it had nothing to do with you.
As you would say "check yourself". ;) Okay, okay, I'm sorry...

da tomb raider!
19-12-06, 17:37
That's ******* sick. How could anyone do anything like that, let alone over a games console? :mad:

curly
19-12-06, 19:00
That's absolutely horrible :(

Phlip
19-12-06, 19:09
:eek: That horrid farther can go f***ing fall in a ditch :mad:, and then rott in hell for all I care! :cen: :mad: :cen:

Just makes me livid to hear of something like that! :hea: :hea:
:mad:

star girl
22-12-06, 06:43
I'm literally speechless!

the hooliganz
22-12-06, 07:29
poor baby, bad father, what kind of person is he, he just tossed the baby into chair

in these arms
22-12-06, 07:55
I did this a lot when I was younger, you don't see me dead!

Thank god he's in Prison!

Atlantean-Squid
22-12-06, 10:13
Yeah... it's horrible. But consider that the father probably had no intention of causing her any major damage and now has to live with the knowledge that he killed his own daughter which, imo, is probably worse than death, especially given that, when you think about it, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think we judge him too harshy.

only Croft
22-12-06, 11:42
My God! What have people socunbe to this days??

Virusbuster
22-12-06, 11:46
I can't find any words... :(

Legend of Lara
22-12-06, 11:58
... :eek: That's horrible. :( A father killed his 17 MONTHS old daughter because of a console? That's... shocking. :mad: