PDA

View Full Version : Exercising/ Getting muscle

amitabha
18-12-06, 22:34
does one gain muscle from running? I've heared mixed opinions from friends at school. Some say you do and others say you just loose weight. I'm going to take weight training class next semester, but for the time being I was wondering if there is any other good work outs I can do. I Mainly want to work my legs (cafs, thighs), abs, and chest. Ta-ta

Celephais
18-12-06, 22:37
if you do running, you'll burn calories, meaning that you'll lose excess fat all over your body. You'll also gain more muscle in the areas that are worked the hardest, mainly the calves and thighs. If you overdo it though, you won't gain more muscle in your legs because you're not giving them time to recover. But you're not likely to gain much muscle in areas other than your legs.

But overall, walking and running is a great form of exercise.

jjbennett
18-12-06, 22:40
Yes, of course you gain muscle, but if you exercise lots obviously the fat will come off as you lower your bodyfat percentage from cardio exercising. Muscle does weigh more than fat but fat comes off all areas and the muscle will only be going on in the legs and trunk (to an extent.)
If your starting weights you'll have to bulk to get size, basically eat more in laymans terms and so lots of cardio before hand is a good idea but not too much as you want the weight to go on in the bulking stage, then when you cut, (lower body fat to get more definition) you loose the fat and eat a little less.
I'm not too up on cardio information, i do enough to keep me fit and then im back on the weights like a flash.
For a definitve answer you can't go wrong with bodybuilding.com as its just the end all of weights, cardio, fitness etc

Any more specific questions on weights or any other questions i'm happy to answer.

CerebralAssassin
19-12-06, 08:58
Yes, of course you gain muscle, but if you exercise lots obviously the fat will come off as you lower your bodyfat percentage from cardio exercising. Muscle does weigh more than fat but fat comes off all areas and the muscle will only be going on in the legs and trunk (to an extent.)
If your starting weights you'll have to bulk to get size, basically eat more in laymans terms and so lots of cardio before hand is a good idea but not too much as you want the weight to go on in the bulking stage, then when you cut, (lower body fat to get more definition) you loose the fat and eat a little less.
I'm not too up on cardio information, i do enough to keep me fit and then im back on the weights like a flash.
For a definitve answer you can't go wrong with bodybuilding.com as its just the end all of weights, cardio, fitness etc

Any more specific questions on weights or any other questions i'm happy to answer.

bodybuilding.com is a double-edged sword IMO.Especially for the newbie.I've browsed that site a lot in the past.It does have a lot of useful info in there,yes, but also there are a lot of schools of thought on how to work out,and if the newbie isn't careful,he/she might get confused.Besides that,a lot of the workouts they propose are for Bodybuilders anyway,and more than likely,you don't want to look like one.what I would do if I were you is just look at the types of exercises they list,and the techniques to increase intensity..and just experiment to see what works better for you.keep it simple at first,don't work out more than 45 minutes each session,and change your workout routine every month or so to keep things fresh.oh,and your're gonna have to eat like crazy if you wanna put on any amount of muscle (unless your'e blessed with "bodybuiler" genes :p ).eat protein and fat.lots of it.hope this helps...:)

Mona Sax
19-12-06, 09:06
Sites like those are usually helpful if you already have some experience, but they can be very dangerous for beginners. Unsupervised, wrong workouts can wreck your body for good, whether it's aerobics, bodybuilding or simple running. I'd suggest getting a tryout license at a gym and let them properly instruct you, including a personal training and nutrition plan.

Ikas90
19-12-06, 09:09
Running or jogging does the calves and thighs the most, but don't do it too frequently. Jogging for under 30 minutes, and 2-3 times a week would be most recommended. If you do more than that, you can burn muscle, and you don't want to do that.

jjbennett
19-12-06, 10:46
bodybuilding.com is a double-edged sword IMO.Especially for the newbie.I've browsed that site a lot in the past.It does have a lot of useful info in there,yes, but also there are a lot of schools of thought on how to work out,and if the newbie isn't careful,he/she might get confused.Besides that,a lot of the workouts they propose are for Bodybuilders anyway,and more than likely,you don't want to look like one.what I would do if I were you is just look at the types of exercises they list,and the techniques to increase intensity..and just experiment to see what works better for you.keep it simple at first,don't work out more than 45 minutes each session,and change your workout routine every month or so to keep things fresh.oh,and your're gonna have to eat like crazy if you wanna put on any amount of muscle (unless your'e blessed with "bodybuiler" genes :p ).eat protein and fat.lots of it.hope this helps...:)
Lots of fats are a BAD idea! It needs to be clean bulking, natural fats and not just any fat.

Sites like those are usually helpful if you already have some experience, but they can be very dangerous for beginners. Unsupervised, wrong workouts can wreck your body for good, whether it's aerobics, bodybuilding or simple running. I'd suggest getting a tryout license at a gym and let them properly instruct you, including a personal training and nutrition plan.
True, although the site not the forums is ok, also try play.com for some books, arnolds encyclopedia of bodybuilding is like the bible to bodybuilders, it starts off really plain and simple and then gets more in depth as you go along, it really is good.

J.

CerebralAssassin
19-12-06, 10:59
Lots of fats are a BAD idea! It needs to be clean bulking, natural fats and not just any fat.

True, although the site not the forums is ok, also try play.com for some books, arnolds encyclopedia of bodybuilding is like the bible to bodybuilders, it starts off really plain and simple and then gets more in depth as you go along, it really is good.

J.

whoops!I meant to say lots of protein and a modest amount of fat.yeap,not just any fat,fat that's found in peanuts,olive oil etc is good..:D. i think during the bulking phase it's unavoidable to up your body fat percentage,though

amitabha
29-12-06, 04:18
could anyone suggest any chest, arm, leg workouts that is effiecient that doesn't require weights?

Catapharact
29-12-06, 04:21
For Muscle Building, I am afraid the most effective exercise IS weight training. However, you can do with Pushups, Crunches and pullups. These will help in achieving defination but not build your Muscles "up."

For that, you WILL need weights.

Andariel
29-12-06, 04:24
My dad says my body hurts sometimes because I do too much aerobics and it's cutting the muscle off. I think protein will put muscle on you. Like fish or some meat.

Catapharact
29-12-06, 04:28
Your body hurts because after you finish your routine, you have ripped and torn some of your Muscle fibers. During your rest period, the body strengthens the muscle up by adding more fibers.

This is hw you achieve defination and build up muscle. The rest period is by far the most important part of any activity.

Andariel
29-12-06, 04:35
Yeah yesterday I did yoga which opened up my body really well and did my aerobics. I take high quality capsule multi's and coq10 twice a day. Right now I'm resting. I'll probably go again tomorrow since I think I heal really well. I also eat wild salmon often. Is that a good source of protein?

amitabha
29-12-06, 04:35
yes i want more defination. But im quite thin. How would a defined chest look on a thin chap like me?