PDA

View Full Version : Latin homework help

Janny
19-12-06, 13:17
I really really need some help with my Latin homework. I have 2 texts to translate and the 2nd is pretty tricky for me. Can anyone help me?

Here's a sample: "Caesar, cum ab Italia Rhodum navigare in itinere a piratis captus est. Donec eris felix (- that means 'happiness' I think) multos numerabis amicos, Caesar, ubi pervenit ad Rubiconem, dixit "

Thanks a bunch in advance :wve:

Rivendell
19-12-06, 13:41
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but to me - (the only latin I know being the lyrics to One Winged Angel) - that looks like:

Caesar navigated his way to Rome, Italy, and there he captured many pirates.
He was happy to have caught so many, Caeser, and something about a Rubiconem.

:whi: I wonder how much more wrong I could be if I tried :mis:

Anubis_AF
19-12-06, 14:09
I think you should ask Catlantean. I think she knows Latin a bit.

Forwen
19-12-06, 14:43
Here's a sample: "Caesar, cum ab Italia Rhodum navigare in itinere a piratis captus est. Donec eris felix (- that means 'happiness' I think) multos numerabis amicos, Caesar, ubi pervenit ad Rubiconem, dixit "

"Caesar, when sailing from Italy to Rhodes island was captured by the pirates along the way [literally: "is captured"]. As long as you're successful, you will have many friends, said Caesar when arriving at Rubicon."

There's been some guesswork here, and I admit I ran "Donec eris felix multos numerabis amicos" on google, because if there's any construction indicating possession stuffed in there somewhere then I don't recognize it.
EDIT: Ah, I think I see it.

Caesar navigated his way to Rome, Italy, and there he captured many pirates.

Ah yes, he captured those pirates later... A valuable lesson - lack of sense of humour may get you crucified.