PDA

View Full Version : New laptop?

clairelovestlc
21-12-06, 13:30
New laptop, or not a new laptop?

I've ben pondering for a few weeks now wether to upgrade and get a new laptop, what with Vista coming out in jan ( and alot of companies offering free vista upgrade when it goes live) and all the sales starting next week, thought it would be a good time.

I currently have a Sony PCG Z1XPM, and its about 3 years old, getting a bit sluggish for my liking.

current specs are as follows.

CPU Section Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.50 GHz Supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Windows® XP Professional
Display Diagonal Size (in) 14.1
Resolution Format

1400 x 1050

Memory Size (MB) 512.0

Drives
Optical Drive Type
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive

Graphics
Graphic Card Full Name
ATI Mobility Radeon with 16 MB DDR SDRAM with 3D performance

intigrated wirless lan and bluetooth

it weighs just under 2kg and looks like this.

http://notebooky.idnes.cz/obrazek/sony_vaio_pcg_z1_2.jpg

i want something significantly more powerful than what i have now, but how it looks is important to me, i want something modern looking, small with clean fluid lines. i also dont want it much, if at all heavier than what i have now!

MUST have bluetooth and wifi, decent graphics card, x-black screen or manafacturer equivlent ideally a memory card slot, dvd rw 1gb of ram and a decent processor.. i also want it to fuildly run vista.

I take my laptop to uni, and would like a decent battery life, so scalable processor is always good, but most seem to have that now anyway.

Laptop is mainly used to surfing the web and word processing playing music but playing games, and ALOT of photoshopping, which is where the one i have now falls short, it isnt happy playing music while running photoshop with a few dozen layers, and using msn and skype and the internet and word lol!

Any recomendations, on about a £1000 budget?

ive been looking at the Sony VGN-C1Z/B (http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-C1Z%2FB&site=ite_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=VN+C+Series) but its a bit ugly, and a bit heavy.

and the SZ Series also by sony, but its a bit bland and fractionally over budget!

Dell and eveshams laptops all look dull, Alienware are overpriced and a bit bulky, and none the other mnafacturers seem to have anything with a wow factor like when i wsaw this and thought " I HAVE TO HAVE THAT ONE!"

jamieoliver22
21-12-06, 14:00
I would personally go for an acer laptop. They are quite cheap for what they are. Sony laptops are always really expensive.

I have just had this laptop for Christmas:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_3102WLMi_LX.ABK05.116/version-1.asp

*It has an ATI Radeon 1100 Express and bluetooth support btw, just didn't say on the site for some reason.*

Jamie.

clairelovestlc
21-12-06, 17:37
I know sony are expensive, but i just love the way alot of there stuff looks, and there after sales is brilliant, my laptop came with a little slipbag, with a carry strap and the clip on the strap cracked, so my laptop tumbled down a flight of concreet stairs and got a bit jumbled around, sony offered to replace it for free even though i didnt have accidental damage cover and the laptop still worked, it just needed minor repairs.( this was 6 months after i bought it) but they had stopped stocking the model i purchased so they gave me the one they did still stock which was £300 more expensive! they said if i took it into them they would also transfer all my data.. i just burned everything i needed onto a dvd and did it that way as i didnt want to have to leave it with them overnight to do and did a straight swap.

I'm having a look through Acer though, i know there great, ive used them in the past, but looks wise i dont find them very inspiring to look at. I am very fussy!

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_TravelMate_4283WLMi_3G_Laptop_LX.TEW06.044/version-1.asp

Thsi one seems to cover most the bases, although its still a little bigger than i wanted

Joseph
21-12-06, 17:49
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_TravelMate_4283WLMi_3G_Laptop_LX.TEW06.044/version-1.asp

This one seems (a little) ok. CPU is very fine. Graphics card (Go7600/128) is basic.... but performance is relatively more expensive on a laptop than on a Desktop PC.
But this one is better than your initial Sony Vaio.

clairelovestlc
21-12-06, 18:32
ive got a good desktop pc, know if i want it super small and light im going to have to compromise somehwere, namely the graphics and screensize

ive got 2x 6800's in my desktop so i do my gaming on there, game playing wise laptops only to keep me entertained on the train lol

what midrangeish graphics card would u recomend for a laptop joseph?

Joseph
21-12-06, 18:39
So you do your gaming on your desktop, but need a reasonably good laptop. In that case... take the
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_.../version-1.asp
(Go 7600 = "midrangeish graphics card ".... at the low side of mid range)

Not the Sony Vaio.... or is looks so important to you that you want to pay for it (losing on performance)? ;)

clairelovestlc
24-12-06, 12:47
sorry for slow reply, ive been away again!

Have done a little research ,and i *think* i have decided on a HP as i get a bit of discount with work!

i have rounded it down to the following two, both of which apear to come with a free upgrade to Vista home premium ( not buisness edition, which i quite fancied, but not a big loss)

HP dv2188ea (RR098EA#ABU) (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724292-77993607.html)
RRP £763 + £11.99 P&P, claireys discount price : £722.58 including delivery
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724292-77993607.html

OR
dv6190eu (RP959EA#ABU) (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724400-77963677.html)
RRP £799 + £11.99 P&P, claireys discount price £659.00 including delivery and a spare 12 cell battery
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724400-77963677.html
Not a massive discoun i know, but better than nothing!

Not only are they both quite light (a little heavier than what i have now i think), they look gorgous with the shiny black top the touch panel buttons for media and the nifty little remote!!!

They did do the later with a better video card, i think it was a 7600 but cant be bothered to go check but then it didnt have builtin bluetooth which i wanted as i use alot more than i play games.. which is practically never now, as i dont have the time, pluss i have a desktop for that.

My main concern is it being able to photoshop smoothly dvd's music msn webdesign etc all at the same time without having hangups!

Any opinions?

JANKERSON
24-12-06, 13:56
HP dv2188ea (RR098EA#ABU) (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724292-77993607.html)
RRP £763 + £11.99 P&P, claireys discount price : £722.58 including delivery
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724292-77993607.html

That one if you are going to really use the machine for photoshop etc.

jamieoliver22
24-12-06, 13:56
Also, if you are not in a rush to get one ASAP, then wait a few days/weeks for all the after Christmas sales to kick in. You will sure find a bargain then.

clairelovestlc
24-12-06, 18:58
i plan on waiting untill the sales after xmas, but i want to decide before hand exactly what i want. once ive set the lowest price i can find it for, i can start haggeling in the shop ;)

Thanks for all your help!

Logically i could get rid of the laptop all together as my pc runs like a dream, but its so much nicer to be able to do my desgns from the comfort of the sofa or my bed hehe :)

clairelovestlc
26-12-06, 14:39
Been everywhere laptop shopping today, had an argument with a man in pc world today because he wouldnt let me pick it up and see how heavy it was, so i did anyway and set the alarm off!

I would NEVER buy a computer from there as there aftersales is usless and they are soooo over priced, but it was an opertunity to see the one i wanted in real life and have a play with it before i ordered it online.

I did plan of going to john lewis and getting them to price match it for me, because they offer a free 2 year garantee on it, but they are closed! i dont think they will knock there price down that much though, as they are selling it for £899 and i have managed to get the HP dv2188ea for £686.32 including delivery... just trying to decide wether i can afford to get the extended warantee and a spair battery or not!

clairelovestlc
30-12-06, 09:58
Lapop arivd yesterday while i was at work, i went for the Hp one. Got the price down to £680 including next day delivery in the end.

Will post some pics and a review later on today as it has some intresting features i havent sen on a laptop before:)

jamieoliver22
30-12-06, 11:06
I've had my laptop too. Its a great laptop and I have never been off it since :D

clairelovestlc
30-12-06, 14:31
I've had my laptop too. Its a great laptop and I have never been off it since :D

This is my 2nd laptop, dont think i could live without one, desktop is great, but atm im sitting on sofa in my bedroom with a mug of tea and my feet up.. that alone makes a laptop worth it!
Had a few niggly problems, the "pre-installed driver for the inbuilt webcam" for example hadnt been installed, nore had the " preinstalled battery life moniter" but that took all of 30 seconds to fix... i am now plowing throuh my box of software and my files which i backed up to dvd and getting everything the way i like it.

So far the best feature is the ability to play cd's and dvd and look at photos without even turning the laptop on! without running windows anyway.

pop a cd or dvd in, push little button on the side and it functions as a stand alone dvd player, and as a cd player will function without even the screen on. Massive saver on battery life as no os running no harddrive running or anything and no screen. also makes it really quick when u wanna watch a dvd as it takes about half a second to start playing!

Apparently u can save music files to a certain folder and play those without booting laptop with it only using a fraction of the power.. but i havent got that far yet!!

lapdog
03-01-07, 12:25
Where do you work Claire? Or if you would rather not say... what Industry sector? I have sent out emails to a few friends/family (working at big companies) to see if they get any discounts with HP. I would also like to get hold of a DV2188EA.

:-)

mickeydfish
06-01-07, 19:46
Been everywhere laptop shopping today, had an argument with a man in pc world today because he wouldnt let me pick it up and see how heavy it was, so i did anyway and set the alarm off!

I would NEVER buy a computer from there as there aftersales is usless and they are soooo over priced, but it was an opertunity to see the one i wanted in real life and have a play with it before i ordered it online.

I did plan of going to john lewis and getting them to price match it for me, because they offer a free 2 year garantee on it, but they are closed! i dont think they will knock there price down that much though, as they are selling it for £899 and i have managed to get the HP dv2188ea for £686.32 including delivery... just trying to decide wether i can afford to get the extended warantee and a spair battery or not!

Hi claire where did you buy your laptop from?

craigm
07-01-07, 20:51
I bought my DV2188 for that reduced price from hp at www.hp.co.uk. Their list price is 764 + delivery, but they had an offer on over the holiday period, 'hpxsale' which gave 10% off + free delivery

regards,

Craig

clairelovestlc
07-01-07, 21:00
Sorry i have been away again! (i seem to be away all the time at the moment i know! dont really get time to be on the net when im gone .. well lets face it if im going to do a 7 hour round trip drive to spend a few days at my boyfriends house, im not going to waste time online am i! lol)

I work for natwest/ the royal bank of scottland so i got 15% off through work, then i got a further 10% off and free delivey by using a discount code " santa" came to just over £600 in the end. ( direct through hp)

Unfortunatly it arived and was faulty! Sent it back, replacment arrived friday, all working fine!