PDA

View Full Version : "Tool" to use that can clear past internet searches?

dream raider
23-12-06, 19:13
Is there a program/tool that I can use which will clean away past internet searches for no one else to see? I want to keep my PC clean and protected :)

dox online
23-12-06, 19:20
:wve: tools>internet options>delete:cookies files

and look here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/announcement.php?f=15)

dream raider
23-12-06, 19:25
:wve: tools>internet options>delete:cookies files

Thank you.

dox online
23-12-06, 19:26
the same way

Titanium
23-12-06, 19:27
Are you sure Dox? I thought DR is reffering to the autocomplete?

laralives
23-12-06, 19:53
Are you sure Dox? I thought DR is reffering to the autocomplete?

I hate auto complete!

It makes me type wrong things and makes me go to some other sites or search for something i don't want to...

It directs me to a place that has the same starting letters! :mad:

Is there a way to get rid of it Titanium?

:wve:

dox online
23-12-06, 20:05
try firefox then

Joseph
23-12-06, 20:58
Deleting cookies won't help here.

Empty your History.

Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Delete files.

Joseph
23-12-06, 21:06
To UNDO autocomplete, do the following:

Click Start > Run... type
regedit
click OK
Navigate to the following key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\AutoComplete

In the right pane, create a new DWORD value, name it
AutoComplete
It will have the value 0 to start with, and that is right so leave it there. Otherwise, double-click AutoComplete and set its value to 0, then click OK.
Close Registry Editor

dream raider
23-12-06, 21:09
Deleting cookies won't help here.

Empty your History.

Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Delete files.

where can I find internet options?

Joseph
23-12-06, 21:22
Control Panel.

Control Panel > Internet Options > (General tab) Temporary Internet Files > Delete files.

dream raider
23-12-06, 21:25
Thank you very much :)

Merry X-mas!

Chug a Bug
23-12-06, 21:34
C(rap)cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) to clear cookies, history, download lists, registry clutter and other assorted rubbish that builds up on your PC. :wve:

Joseph
23-12-06, 21:36
That works also. But in essence, you would not need a third party program.
Still, if it works more comfortable for you just use it then.

Bokkie
23-12-06, 21:49
To UNDO autocomplete, do the following:

Click Start > Run... type
regedit
click OK
Navigate to the following key:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\AutoComplete
In the right pane, create a new DWORD value, name it
AutoComplete
It will have the value 0 to start with, and that is right so leave it there. Otherwise, double-click AutoComplete and set its value to 0, then click OK.
Close Registry Editor

Lot of work to do to disable auto complete in IE :ton:

In Firefox it is easy: Tools > Options > Security > "Remember Passwords for Site" checkbox

Joseph
23-12-06, 21:56
But this is not about passwords Bokkie, but about the function autocomplete in URL's (from History) as well! Does the option you describe stop and delete that also?

Chug a Bug
23-12-06, 22:35
That works also. But in essence, you would not need a third party program.
Still, if it works more comfortable for you just use it then.

She said that she wanted to keep her PC clean and protected and theres more traces of her browsing history than the list of visited sites and cookies, theres also MRU lists, downloaded files, intenet cache, private data and autocomplete lists etc etc so I thought it was worth at least mentioning that program. Sure, you could probably do it manually but who needs the hassle!

Joseph
23-12-06, 23:22
Yes you are right Chug! :)

And cleaning the MRU list in regedit manually is a bit unpractible so if a program does that for you with a click, it's nice. :wve:

Bokkie
24-12-06, 00:37
But this is not about passwords Bokkie, but about the function autocomplete in URL's (from History) as well! Does the option you describe stop and delete that also?

Oh, I misunderstood then. In that case, in Firefox, it is also very easy: Tools > Options > Privacy > Clear Now. It will delete browsing history, download history, saved form information, cache, cookies, saved passwords and authenticated sessions for currently logged user.

Simulation
24-12-06, 01:29
Use Ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) to clear all internet temporary files, cookies, autocomplete google toolbar etc etc. Use can also nominate cookies you want to keep such tombraiderforums :). Also has an option to run at start up.

Joseph
24-12-06, 03:37
In Spybot Search & Destroy, (a program you should have installed anyway), it is an inbuilt function.
Settings > Advanced.
Then: File Sets > Usage tracking <<< make sure that is ticked on. :)

dream raider
24-12-06, 09:00
Can't I just use this? Control Panel > Internet Options > (General tab) Temporary Internet Files > Delete files. Don't they all do the same thing?

Joseph
25-12-06, 08:35
That options only clears your Explorer History.

Install Spybot Search & Destroy, because you need this anti-spyware tool anyway.

In my previous posts i said how to auto-delete your tracks.