PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Legend error after McAfee installation

pmike33
28-12-06, 23:43
Couple of days ago my provider AOL asked for update all security programs. I had to re-install McAfee. Now I cannot start the game. Every time I click the icon message bellow pop up. I re-installed the game - nothing; disabled McAfee-nothing help. I had the same McAfee programs before and played my game without any problems.
Any ideas? I am using PC.

"TombRader7

A required security module cannot be activated.
This program cannot be executed (6000)

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=6000 for further, more detailed information."

Thank you.

Pmike33

Joseph
29-12-06, 09:46
But have you at least done what Securom says?

SecuROM™ has determined that a piece of software is hooking SecuROM™.

Please close all programs which are running in the background.
If the problem still persists, the problem is usually caused by a Virus or Spyware (you might want to check for 'Backdoor.B' under http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.agent.b.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.agent.b.html)).
Search for Interceptor.dll or InterceptHelper.dll on your PC; if you find them, your PC is infected.
Please defragment your hard disc and do an in-depth Virus and Spyware check to clean your PC.

Welcome to these forums, pmike33. :)

Joseph
29-12-06, 09:50
Next question. What program of McAfee do you use? Antivirus, or Internet Security. And which version?

What Operating System do you use? Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista?

pmike33
29-12-06, 15:36
Next question. What program of McAfee do you use? Antivirus, or Internet Security. And which version?

What Operating System do you use? Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista?

This is the first what I did follow Securom's instruction-did not help.
I think I have McAfee version 4.3.10. This is the latest version I was able to find, but it is constantly updated. I am not sure if this is Antivirus or Internet Security, or both. AOL provides Safety and Security Center with McAfee as virus protection, Spywear Protection and Firewall.
I use Window XP.

Thank you for your help. I planed to play the game during holiday...what a bummer.

Joseph
29-12-06, 16:16
I mean: McAfee 2006, or..? You have it installed on your PC haven't you.

pmike33
29-12-06, 17:14
I mean: McAfee 2006, or..? You have it installed on your PC haven't you.

McAfee VirusScan version 8

pmike33
29-12-06, 18:33
McAfee VirusScan version 8

where did my question go?

pmike33
29-12-06, 19:15
where did my question go?

just completed scan my computer for Backdoor.Agent.B tool - nothing. May be my game disk?

Joseph
30-12-06, 08:14
McAfee VirusScan version 8 is a version from 2004-2005. Uninstall it completely from your system and never use it again.

pmike33
30-12-06, 15:57
McAfee VirusScan version 8 is a version from 2004-2005. Uninstall it completely from your system and never use it again.

What would you recommend to use instead off McAfee version 8? I used McAfee before installation version 8 with Tomb Raider Legend without any problem.

Joseph
30-12-06, 16:41
Well, they are at version 10 now.

Look. If your McAfee VirusScan 8 works allright according to yourself, an other option would be the following:

Start > Run... type in
msconfig
click OK.
On the tab Start Up items, untick the items that belong to McAfee, or just untick ALL, no problem. Reboot. With McAfee not started up with Windows, now try to install Legend.
After you are done, you can tick those items ON again, if you want.

pmike33
30-12-06, 17:21
What would you recommend to use instead off McAfee version 8? I used McAfee before installation version 8 with Tomb Raider Legend without any problem.

removed McAfee as you said. have the same error message.

Joseph
30-12-06, 17:22
'Removed' from the starting up list? Not uninstalled?

Joseph
30-12-06, 17:27
If you have any emulating software installed, Deamon Tools, Alcohol120%, or similar, you can get that problem as well.

pmike33
30-12-06, 17:31
removed McAfee as you said. have the same error message.

I will try your last suggestion to tick off

pmike33
30-12-06, 18:09
I will try your last suggestion to tick off

tried with unticked startup, still the same. I have Alcohol 120 on my computer, but had before when it worked

Joseph
30-12-06, 18:52
No. You MUST uninstall, completely remove all such emulation / copyprotection circumventing software. Securom will detect such software on your PC and then block installation of Legend.

pmike33
30-12-06, 21:25

your were correct, after I was able to disable Security Center and unpluged Road Runner I was ran Tomb Raider. It is still very strange, even disabled it will allow me to play once and than I have re-start computer if want re-start game.

Thank you for your help. I had to use Run function with msconfig. But I lost the last saved game. I am getting too rusty.

Joseph
30-12-06, 21:58
Good it's solved, pmike33! :) Glad i could help.