PDA

View Full Version : Cassette-style non digital camcorders to pc?

tweetygwee
30-12-06, 20:31
Is it possible to transfer data from a non digital camcorder (Hi-8 tapes) onto a computer? A google search turns up something about a tv card, but I usually get great advice here so I thought I'd post this.

All help much appreciated.

Mr.Burns
30-12-06, 21:02
Is it possible to transfer data from a non digital camcorder (Hi-8 tapes) onto a computer? A google search turns up something about a tv card, but I usually get great advice here so I thought I'd post this.

All help much appreciated.

It is possible but you would either need a video capture card or a tv card with composite inputs. You might also be able to find a Hi 8 deck that can be inputed to a USB or Firewire port. The last time I saw such a deck was about 6 years ago. You're best bet would be a capture card with composite inputs which I'm assuming is what you have for video outputs on your camera. One benefit to a deck vs dumping from the camera is you reduce the wear and tear on the camera.

Paul H
30-12-06, 22:39
I think the best way to transfer analogue video tapes to PC is by using a standalone DVD recorder. Unlike capture cards, you don’t get dropped frames because of the processor working too slowly. Just connect your camcorder to a DVD recorder using analogue phono leads (or S Video if you have an input), copy the footage to a recordable DVD disc and then just put the disc into your PC and copy everything on it to your hard disk.

If you then want to edit the files, you will need a program that reads MPEG2 such as VirtualDub Mod or DVD2AVI. One thing you will notice is a lot of combing type artifacts on the video where there is movement. You don’t see that on your television because TVs process interlaced video better than computers, but all you have to do is use a deinterlacing filter to correct the problem.

DVD recorders are now very cheap compared to when they first came out.

tweetygwee
30-12-06, 23:47
I have a BenQ DVD burner/drive, but no obvious port for a cable except USB and power adaptor.:confused:

Mr.Burns
31-12-06, 00:03
I have a BenQ DVD burner/drive, but no obvious port for a cable except USB and power adaptor.:confused:

Paul was referring to an external RECORDER. It's basically the dvd equivalent of a vcr. It should have composite inputs on it. You can use those to record to a DVD then transfer it to your computer.

@Paul: I've never had any issues with dropped frames, then again I usually use a Mac or my current computer which is an Athlon dual core. I suppose if he's using a computer that's not designed to handle video editing he would have that problem. Since most people don't have a proper set up then I would concur that the DVD recorder is the best option.

Paul H
31-12-06, 11:27
@Paul: I've never had any issues with dropped frames, then again I usually use a Mac or my current computer which is an Athlon dual core. I suppose if he's using a computer that's not designed to handle video editing he would have that problem.

I used to lose lots of frames if I tried capturing in full size (720 x 576) but it wasn’t so bad at 352 x 288. That was some years ago though, using a pretty low spec PC. But since I started using DVD recorders I have just stuck with that method except for digital tapes for which I always use a Firewire connection direct to the PC.

Tweetygee, here is an example of a very cheap DVD recorder:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5335677.htm

Although something like this one might give you better results:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5335361.htm

If you buy one make sure it has analogue inputs to connect your camcorder to.