PDA

View Full Version : Question about the download speed inside and outside of a network

katmandoo
31-12-06, 21:14
I have a network in my house and I have my own website along with an ftp server installed. If I download something from my computer through that ftp server to another computer, the speed gets up to 15+ mb/sec. But outside of it, if I get someone to download the same file it is like 8 kb/sec. How come it does this?

Joseph
31-12-06, 21:28
I have no experience with having a server, but i suppose you decide what max speed for downloads you allow. There should be a setting in your server software.

katmandoo
31-12-06, 21:30
the only thing that has anything about the bandwidth is on my web server which the ftp server has nothing about the speed of downloads, but I had another ftp server that was a trial and I set it to like 200 kb/sec and it still was only like 50 kb/sec on download outside the network.

Edit:
Theres a professional version of it with download and upload limits but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it.

Joseph
01-01-07, 00:41
Edit:
Theres a professional version of it with download and upload limits but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it.Well i DO think that has something to do with it. :)

katmandoo
01-01-07, 01:43
But I thought that the bandwidth speed would only limit how fast it went to that particular user, there was no global settings on it like on the web server. Everything thats around that ftp server is weird. :tea: