PDA

View Full Version : xp keeps restarting

abraham
05-01-07, 08:54
Well im disappointed i couldn fix it! well im tired right now.

anyway i recently installed pc cillian 2007 and deleted 2 viruses on my pc and now it keeps on restarting when i turn it on.BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!,so now im in safe mode!

i tried reinstalling windows xp home edition and created a new account and removed the old one and see if it gets rid of the pest.but it looks like its in windows folder:( and i dont want to format my pc!

usually i move all my files to the other hardrive and then format it in these conditions but i have aod2 files for programing and i dont want to RELINK ALL THE FILES!! takes tooo long.

EscondeR
05-01-07, 09:06
Do you have a bootable installation CD?
Try Automatic System Recovery console then.
If no result boot from the CD and install Windows in another folder (e.g. C:\WINXP) then move personal data and then kill the corrupt copy of Windows.

Joseph
05-01-07, 18:33
i tried reinstalling windows xp home edition and created a new account and removed the old one and see if it gets rid of the pest.but it looks like its in windows folder:( and i dont want to format my pc!

usually i move all my files to the other hardrive and then format it in these conditions but i have aod2 files for programing and i dont want to RELINK ALL THE FILES!! takes tooo long.Well, you have to. I agree with Esconder: format and re-install XP. But this time a NEW installation (therefore: Full format)! ALWAYS keep your documents & files on another (LARGE) partition.

Bokkie
05-01-07, 20:03
Start Windows in Safe Mode and backup your files (you may copy all the files to another partition). Then, run the setup, reformat the partition where the Windows was installed and install a new one :)

abraham
05-01-07, 23:10
Well im still in safemode!! i already moved my stuff so yea,i mite aswell install vista,works alot better then xp:(

Fish.
06-01-07, 00:13
Have you tried System Restore?

WARNING: This will erase ALL FILES on your PC. You will have to reinstall all of them.

On the plus side, it will kill any viruses that may have squirmed their way into your hard drive.

Joseph
06-01-07, 00:17
Nonsense! System Restore will NOT erase any files. Why do you post this? :confused: System Restore will also NOT kill any viruses.

Only full format will.

abraham
06-01-07, 04:15
the virus or syware deleted the system restore stuff:(

anyway im on vista but that was a mistake since opengl doesent work with aod2 properly!

Joseph
06-01-07, 04:24
What is "aod2", Abraham?
Why don't you install dual boot XP/Vista?

abraham
06-01-07, 07:32
you havnt seen 2 of my teams thread??

my team and I are making(cant think of another word then make!)angel of darkness 2 or both 3 with a custom engine and im the team leader and i guess you dont check out aod forums or LE forums to download the early demo! Need shaderpixel 2.0 to enable shadows

here
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=82504

edit:about dual boot,i never had it to work properly:( and im using the vitural pc 2007 to boot up xp:)

Joseph
06-01-07, 07:35
Actually i do visit all forums, but i wasn't aware of that project of yours, sorry. :o

abraham
06-01-07, 07:37
oh ok????

Joseph
06-01-07, 07:54
No that level of yours seems not ok... But enough about that (no offense), let's concentrate on the subject here.

Virtual PC 2007 uses a virtual S3 Trio32/64 card. :cln: An inbuilt VGA driver, not your real videocard hardware.

Joseph
06-01-07, 07:59
Dual boot is easy... But first make sure you have at least 3 partitions. Or, first install XP, then your partitioning program and create the partitions, then install Vista on partition 3. :)

C:\ = for XP, it will assign "D" to the dvd-rom player. Size: 10 GB
E:\ = for your documents (must be large then). Size: what's left.
F:\ = for Vista, size: 20 GB

abraham
06-01-07, 08:37
i have 2 hardrives

one that is 40gigs(with vista)

the other one that is 30 gigs(just back up) so like if i put xp on the back up one,will it give me a choice to load up xp and vista.

Joseph
06-01-07, 08:49
So, these are your 2 'hardware' partitions i assume.

My advice;

Install XP on the first one. It will be C:\. Select Full Format during the process. XP is the more stable OS, and all your programs can run on it so XP is your 'safe haven'.
Your dvd player will have been assigned the letter "D". OK. From within XP > diskmanagement, format the second harddrive.
Then, from within XP, install Vista: you are on XP's desktop and put the Vista DVD in the player and start installing from there. A NEW INSTALLATION. Point it to drive "E" (your second harddrive).
When Vista is done, you will (after the POST screen) have the Vista bootmanager that lets you choose between "Earlier Windows version" or "Windows Vista". Done.

abraham
06-01-07, 09:27
oh thanks

i done it the wrong way.i installed vista and then installed xp and now it only boots xp! and whats with the dvd drives letters have to be important:) i have 2 of them,one is a dual layer(i forgot to tell you that,i got it recently)

Joseph
06-01-07, 16:57
Simple; you have 2 dvd players, that means that after installing XP (which you MUST do before installing Vista!), you'll have:
C:\= XP
D:\=dvd master
E:\=dvd slave
F:\=second partition/harddrive.

Abraham. Of course, when you first install Vista and then XP, you will lose the Vista bootmanager. The second OS you install will set itself as "standard first booting up OS".
Since you have done it this way, you only can try to to use VistaBootPro to reverse that, but i am not sure that will work.

How to install Windows Vista (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=1294977&postcount=4)

Chug a Bug
06-01-07, 17:31
And that is why I use Partition Magic/Boot Magic rather than Microsoft's boot manager. MS's boot manager stores the boot record on the first partition, if anything happens to it i.e. if it gets damaged or overwritten then the second OS won't boot anymore!

With PM each OS keeps it's own boot record on it's own partition. You can even restore the MBR with FDISK /MBR, set whatever partition containing whatever OS you want to boot as Active and boot either one!

abraham
07-01-07, 10:25
im actaly goni o stay on xp,fo developin purposes,i didnt relised that opengl was THAT BAD!

Joseph
07-01-07, 13:05
OpenGL is not bad. It is only bad in Virtual XP. Because as i said Virtual XP uses a virtual videocard (S3 Trio32/64) completely ignoring your real graphics card. That is why you can get the warning that you are running OpenGL in a noin-accelerated environment.
Therefore, only use real XP (next to Vista), and not virtual XP on Vista.

Lord Icon
07-01-07, 15:32
VirtualPC was not made for 3D accelerated games simply because there is no 3D support in VPC as of yet.

The only fully working solution for gaming (so far) is to have dual boot (XP/Vista). Later... we'll see.

VPC is great for testing programs and playing with networking without actually having a network. But that's about it. That's what it was made for. If it had a 3D acceleration support it would be ultimate tool for playing older games on modern PCs.

EscondeR
08-01-07, 04:51
If it had a 3D acceleration support it would be ultimate tool for playing older games on modern PCs.

And gave a real boost to hardware upgraiding needs ;) Just imagine UT2004 dedicated server with at least 2 clients on a single real PC :vlol:

Hi Lord Icon :wve: Haven't seen you for ages :)