PDA

View Full Version : Laptop meltdown

Scottlee
06-01-07, 20:27
I'm logging in from my housemate's machine, and I'll try and keep the rest short and sweet....

My own laptop has gone into meltdown. I can't even get the start menu up due to "lack of memory for the operation". I can't even turn the damn machine off. I've pulled the plug out and decided to wait for the battery to run out. I've no idea whether it will turn back on again when I try to.

I've dug the reformat discs out ready for a rescue operation, but I really fear for the machine right now. As I type it's still stuck on the desktop completely frozen, unable to be turned off. I'm not exactly sure what input I'm asking for, other than sympathy maybe. lol. I'm not sure what advice I get from this.

jamieoliver22
06-01-07, 20:45
Try taking the battery out, not just letting it die down. Stop it from having any power at all then try again.

What were you doing at the time, it seems odd. Maybe something is faulty, but I don't know what yet.

Jamie.

Scottlee
06-01-07, 20:52
Try taking the battery out, not just letting it die down. Stop it from having any power at all then try again.

What were you doing at the time, it seems odd. Maybe something is faulty, but I don't know what yet.

Jamie.

It's been getting slower and slower for weeks, despite my best efforts to use spyware programs and delete unwanted programs. Today it just imploded as I tried to boot up a game. As I type, it's still in the other room unable to shut itself off. Hopefully it won't be long until the battery dies. I've no idea how to take the battery out, and I don't really want to risk that.

Even if I can get the machine back on (the power button seems dead), there's the question of whether the reformat discs will still work. I haven't used them for 18 months and they were slightly scratched even back then. I might be about to lose a laptop here.

Cochrane
06-01-07, 21:21
When do you turn the laptop on and off? Do you shut it down every time you are done with it, or do you put in sleep or hibernate or whatever else Windows has (that's what I do with mine)?

If it's the former, then you seem to have a real problem. If it's the latter, it's possible that one application that runs in the background has been leaking memory for a few days now and a simple reboot fixes things.

Joseph
06-01-07, 21:25
But it's frozen it seems. He can't reboot.

First link from google: http://forums.dealofday.com/showthread.php?t=178703

Find out how to take care of your laptop battery or risk losing everything... (http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-6-2006-98422.asp)

HOW-TO: Rebuild your laptop battery (http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/28/how-to-rebuild-your-laptop-battery/)

Simulation
06-01-07, 21:25
Don't pull out the battery or let it run down

Hold the On button down for about 5-10 seconds and the notebook should switch off. Give it a second or two and switch it on again

Scottlee
06-01-07, 21:26
It's turned off now, but I can't turn it back on. Power button seems broken :(

I don't think there's any other option than trying a repair shop

Scottlee
06-01-07, 21:27
Hold the On button down for about 5-10 seconds and the notebook should switch off. Give it a second or two and switch it on again

I held it down longer than that, and still the screen remained frozen back when it was still on.

jamieoliver22
06-01-07, 21:27
It's been getting slower and slower for weeks, despite my best efforts to use spyware programs and delete unwanted programs. Today it just imploded as I tried to boot up a game.

Sounds like my desktop actually. It has been getting worse and worse and I don't know why. It is actually overclocked so maybe its just had enough. But I can never be bothered to fix it as I have been spending too much time on my laptop.

Jamie.

Scottlee
06-01-07, 21:51
Ah, it's so annoying. I've no idea why the power button suddenly doesn't work.

Fish.
07-01-07, 00:56
This happened to me before. Just use the reformat discs. This will restore the virtual memory capacity and you can use the computer like normal.