PDA

View Full Version : WTF! Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move

tlr online
11-01-07, 17:01
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season. The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth 128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract. After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42439000/jpg/_42439615_beckham203.jpg

www.bbc.co.uk

Scottlee
11-01-07, 17:03
This move will definitely put the final nail in the coffin of his England career, if it hadn't been nailed in already. I like the idea of what he's doing though. It will be interesting to see how he does over there. I'd rather he did that than go to West Ham or some club like that.

tlr online
11-01-07, 17:05
He should never have left Man Utd in the first place, but I'd still have liked to see him return home.

But U.S "soccer?!" :( He may as well have just announced his retirement.

Scottlee
11-01-07, 17:10
So many players fall from grace when they take that big money move from one big club to another. You're right, he should have stayed at Man Utd. It was good business for Fergie though making 25million for a player on his way out (Beckham was 28 at the time). He's one of those players who was always going to be naff after about the age of 29/30 because of his lack of pace for the position he plays in.

Lara Croft!
11-01-07, 17:19
But U.S "soccer?!" :( He may as well have just announced his retirement.

I agree!Are you sure this aint just rumours??He can't possibly be that stupid!How much are they paying him to do that?Sounds outrageous!

Scottlee
11-01-07, 17:21
He's only getting 128million apparantly. It should keep the fridge full for a few weeks.

Lara Croft!
11-01-07, 17:23
It should keep the fridge full for a few weeks.

I still can't believe he's THAT damn!It would be a lot better if he started a Hollywood carreer instead!:p

tlr online
11-01-07, 17:25
I still can't believe he's THAT damn!It would be a lot better if he started a Hollywood carreer instead!:p

I'm sure his air-head wife will be exploiting that avenue. I wonder how hard she turned his thumb-screws.

stereopathic
11-01-07, 17:27
hell yes! i can't wait to see him when he comes to visit my league champion Houston Dynamo. this is great news. and not really so surprising as the MLS seems to be headed towards being the place big name soccer players go as a resolution to their careers.

in these arms
11-01-07, 17:28
TLR I'm just a shocked as you!

tlr online
11-01-07, 17:29
... the place big name soccer players go as a resolution to their careers.

Yup. Thanks for the memories Beckham. :wve:

stereopathic
TLR I'm just a shocked as you!

i don't know why. this move has been rumored for several years. i even started a thread about it in mid 2006.

Scottlee
Victoria will no doubt be looking to get an album out over there ASAP. Then she'll be snapped out shopping with Jennifer Anniston and Cameron Diaz, because "we're all the best of friends". Then it will be time for a crack at Hollywood "because I had great fun making Spice Girls The Movie and I really feel this is my calling in life".

tlr online
11-01-07, 17:31
Victoria will no doubt be looking to get an album out over there ASAP. Then she'll be snapped out shopping with Jennifer Anniston and Cameron Diaz, because "we're all the best of friends". Then it will be time for a crack at Hollywood "because I had great fun making Spice Girls The Movie and I really feel this is my calling in life".

She's already bum-chums with Kate and Tom Cruise. This move is prolly a last ditch attempt to prop up her laughable career at the expense of one of our greatest football players ever.

*sigh* :(

Alex Fly
11-01-07, 17:41
OMG ! I can't believe it !!!!!!!!! :eek:

Titanium
11-01-07, 23:57
Im not surprised he moved, he was not getting regular first team appearances which he was so used too at Manchester United. Although a return to the English League would of been interesting.

xMiSsCrOfTx
12-01-07, 00:01
YES! Come on over to the US, Becks.. :mis: :cln:

tombraiderluka
12-01-07, 00:04
Shut Up!!! :p :mis:
j/k

Geck-o-Lizard
12-01-07, 00:04
Aw damn. I thought NASA was gonna be involved in this move. :(

Autolycus
12-01-07, 08:39
Well i would have liked to have seen him back in the U.K but i can't blame him for going where the money is, well thats the last we'll see of him for 5 years.

Anubis_AF
12-01-07, 19:38
Money changes a person. Although I find this strange too.

Lara Lover
12-01-07, 19:48
He'll never return back here because, people over here tourted him! :hea: :mad:

Psyched
12-01-07, 19:51
As one of my friends said, he'd have returned to England if football were his objective now. He must realise he's getting a bit old - and just look at the wages he's contracted for. Some people will work hard and do their best all their life and never come near what he earns in four months, let alone a year...

I think we'd get better football if the players were paid less. They'd have to earn their fortune then.

Lew
12-01-07, 19:58

LMAO! But why! America are crap at soccer no offense like seeing as I want to live there :D

stereopathic
12-01-07, 20:08
LMAO! But why! America are crap at soccer no offense like seeing as I want to live there :D

true, we're rarely a big player when it comes to the world cup but we've put out some very high quality players. we're not exactly "crap." as a matter of fact5, the MLS select team defeated chelsea this season and our soccer programs are on the rise. that being said, no the competition beckham sees here won't be as fierce as he's used to, but that means he'll get more playing time, more respect and help boost the popularity of the sport in our country.

*cough* he's also getting $250 million dollars to come.

Lew
12-01-07, 20:20
He got more for Real Madrid a few years ago didn't he?

stereopathic
12-01-07, 20:39
i believe he made more per year in salary, yes. the second biggest contract in american sports history includes profit-sharing and endorsements to reach such an astronomical sum. his salary to play is only around $10M/year.

Lew
12-01-07, 20:50
Oh yeah heard about that on GMTV, btw If I was on a farm but I'm not but near one, I wouldn't watch that trailer that MissCroft put on........

Greenkey2
12-01-07, 20:56
just look at the wages he's contracted for. Some people will work hard and do their best all their life and never come near what he earns in four months, let alone a year...

I think we'd get better football if the players were paid less. They'd have to earn their fortune then.

I absolutely agree.

There is only one word for the wages paid to sports' players these days - football especially - when world poverty is at the forefront of the world's concerns.

Obscene.

Psyched
12-01-07, 21:59
I absolutely agree.

There is only one word for the wages paid to sports' players these days - football especially - when world poverty is at the forefront of the world's concerns.

Obscene.

Indeed. This is reinforced somewhat by another drumming of England's cricket side. They got paid in the thousands for losing an Ashes series 5-0. They'll get paid in the thousands when Australia complete the clean sweep of them in the ODIs.

I don't see the line getting drawn. Chelsea spend money for fun. They didn't need Shevchenko, but bought him anyway for 40 million. Just another 40 million. Only 40 times the total lifetime wage of the average worker. Which, as you pointed out, is far greater still than the total earnings of an impoverished poor soul who never had a chance. This issue is not at the forefront of their minds - and sadly, it appears that nor is the sport they play.

stereopathic
13-01-07, 21:33
well, the real madrid coach, fabio capello, has now benched beckham, questioning his commitment to the team. "The player's decision is to go to Los Angeles. He has always been a great professional, but a player who has such a major contract with another team ... we cannot count on him."

scion05
13-01-07, 21:34
you know the sun says he'll be paid... 80p per second :yik:

tombfan91
13-01-07, 23:39
I'm sure his air-head wife will be exploiting that avenue. I wonder how hard she turned his thumb-screws.

hey hey hey now. leave victoria alone. o well this is your opinion so i won't say no more. can't help but defend a former spice girl.

Legends
14-01-07, 01:11
Even so, David Beckham has actually talent when it comes to playing soccer, unlike Victoria who is desperate to get attention and noticed all the time. Now she want’s to became an actress because her music career didn’t work out.. If you can’t sing, it usually goes like this..