PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help?

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 22:01
I was due to hand my maths coursework in on Thursday a few days ago. It is a Guesstimate project thing. It was ok, I striggled a bit but I got it in. I was having my lunch in my teachers classroom, and when I was chatting to my friends he came in and he said I missed a lot of stuff out and its not really worth submitting. So he gave me an extra day to redo it and include all these things (He stuck post it notes all over the project with words on saying what to do.)

I was off on the Friday due to a doctors appointment which led to me having to go up to the hospital so I missed the whole day.

Now Im on the last page to copy up and he had written on the post it note where I have done my scatter graph:

Use average words
Mean
Median
Range
IQR
Scatter graph

Im totally stuck and I'm not sure what to do.
I will get killed if I dont finish it by tomorrow, and hes not really patient with me. Hes quite old but he doesn't have much patience to stand there and guide me through it. Its bad enough that the new coursework guidelines don't even allow me to ask for help!:mad:
What should I do coz I'm totally flipping out :O

jarhead
14-01-07, 22:03
Well You'd best look for a maths webiste that has such words. I'm usless unless its cumulative frequency

BlackGrey
14-01-07, 22:03
I was due to hand my maths coursework in on Thursday a few days ago. It is a Guesstimate project thing. It was ok, I striggled a bit but I got it in. I was having my lunch in my teachers classroom, and when I was chatting to my friends he came in and he said I missed a lot of stuff out and its not really worth submitting. So he gave me an extra day to redo it and include all these things (He stuck post it notes all over the project with words on saying what to do.)

I was off on the Friday due to a doctors appointment which led to me having to go up to the hospital so I missed the whole day.

Now Im on the last page to copy up and he had written on the post it note where I have done my scatter graph:

Use average words
Mean
Median
Range
IQR
Scatter graph

Im totally stuck and I'm not sure what to do.
I will get killed if I dont finish it by tomorrow, and hes not really patient with me. Hes quite old but he doesn't have much patience to stand there and guide me through it. Its bad enough that the new coursework guidelines don't even allow me to ask for help!:mad:
What should I do coz I'm totally flipping out :O

Well from your scatter graph, I'm guessing you write some results, finding the mean, median and range. Mark them on your scatter graph, have no idea abou IQR, sorry I couldn't be of further help.

jarhead
14-01-07, 22:05
Do you have the raw data, like the numbers etc that you used to draw the graph?

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-01-07, 22:05
Do you have to define the words?

Psyched
14-01-07, 22:15
Ugh. Maths coursework was the worst. A level without it is so much better.

Mean - the actual average (add up the frequencies and divide the result by the number of terms)
Alternatively, you might need to find the average term position, in which case you use sumfx by sumx. In other words: (term1 x value1) + (term2 x value2) etc by (value1 + value2 + value3) etc.

Median - add up the frequencies and divide the result by two. This will give you the number in the frequency to search for. Say, if your answer when divided by two is 15, you'd count along the frequencies until you found the 15th one. Whatever term that lies under is the one you choose as your median.

Range - subtract the lowest term from the highest.

IQR stands for Interquartile Range - you need a cumulative frequency graph for this. Do the same method as with mean, but find a quarter and three-quarters instead of a half. The range is the difference between them.
Scatter graph - I suppose you just plot the points and they'll be scattered. :\

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 22:18
OK, the school estimated the length of a given line and angle.
I took simplified samples and here they are. My hypothesis is to see whether people who are good at estimating lines are good at estimating angles:
The numbers below are is the size of the error, so basically how far away their guess was from the actual answer.
The number on the left is the line error, and the right is the angle error.
21 23
29 33
21 32
41 23
21 17
20 47
21 38
35 47
31 42
43 23
1 13
36 33
24 27
69 3
19 23
24 23
49 31
63 18
11 7
4 15
9 13
13 12
21 18
19 21
29 13
72 122
31 22
41 23
41 43
19 17
6 7
1 2
19 3
17 12
29 28
6 3
6 2
9 8
29 16
14 23
21 33
11 14
4 3
16 18
4 2
1 13
8 3
19 3
9 2
11 16
19 3
9 2
11 16
19 12
14 13
0 3
9 2
4 3
1 13
11 17
9 33

I produced the correlation graph and I got my results and that to do my conclusion. But then he asked for the mean, median range and interquartile range. I know what they mean, but I don't know how I could do it with this data?:(

jarhead
14-01-07, 22:24
ok, to get the median, arrange the data in order of lowest to highest. Do this for each column.
Count how many pieces of data you have in each column and devide that by 2.

With the numbers you've just got, find that piece of data in the line. for instance if you have 30 pieces of data, I halved that to get 15. I found the 15th piece of data. If you get 16 for example, then count that and the number afterwards, then average those 2 numbers to find the median.

Plot the 2 numbers you now have and cirle it

You catch my drift?

Mean:
Yer, I got it wrong.

Thanks Psyched, I'm going bed now

Psyched
14-01-07, 22:32
You'll have to find a mean for each one. Add them all up, then divide by how many of them there are and you'll get the average line error and average angle error.

Use the method jarhead posted for the median.

For the range, take the lowest number from the highest, again for each.

For the IQ range, organise them from lowest to highest, work out the number of terms, divide it by four. Find the number at the position, then times the position number by three and find the number there. The difference is the IQ range.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 22:39
Grrrr, I can't do it, its taking far to long!
Its taking ages to add all of them up even worse putting them all into order. Is there not some program I could use to make it quicker!?:hea:

Psyched
14-01-07, 22:40
Not as far as I know. Do it on paper if you're not already. A few quick scribbles is much better than doing it on PC.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 22:45
Oh no, forget it, its 20 to 12! I cant sit all night putting that massive list of numbers into order when I'm just going to it thrown back in my face!
I'm not going to bother, I've done the rest right (at least I think). If he kicks off again I'm just going to tell him to submit it, E- or whatever because I cannot do something if firstly I haven't been taught how to do it and secondly I cannot even ask for help!!!
I'm honestly on the edge of my tether and I can't be pushed anymore than I can!!!:mad: I just want to rip it all up because I just can't try anymore. I know for a fact if I do all of it it'll get thrown back at me and I'll have to write it up again changing a minor detail!
I honestly couldn't care less if I get a low grade for this coursework, I'd rather just fail it and try hard on the exams!:hea: :mad:

Psyched
14-01-07, 22:47
Heh. I drove my teacher to the limit in maths coursework but ended up with an A*. So you needn't really be concerned, a B should be enough if you're good at exams. We get on now it's all pure ability and none of this investigation crap.

Don't worry. Just tell him you didn't really understand, and if he's a jerk then so be it.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 22:57
I don't know what it is but I have this natural thing where I feel guilty when I upset a teacher and I just have to win their respect. It weird but I feel uncomfortable knowing my teachers hates me.

I will try again but when it gets toomuch, forget it I'll submit it. Regardless of its quality.

Pipolinne
14-01-07, 23:01
Anthony,those are basic statistic operations.

Any statistic program or even Excel can do it.

I'm sure your books explain the procedures.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:02
Nope, we didn't learn the methods of how to do these things, we just practiced for the 1st midular exam then coursework

Pipolinne
14-01-07, 23:09
Anthony,they're basic :D!

You just need to insert the data and tell the computer to calculate.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:11
ok
thanx
I hope this works, this is the last Im trying then Im quitting

Geck-o-Lizard
14-01-07, 23:15
Good grief. I always hated maths. You have my sympathy Anthony.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:21
Your increadibly lucky ll those who dont have to do this. We're the ONLY year group to have coursework with no help allowed (as coursework is out next year lucky *******s) so I'm pretty much gonna suffer:(

BTW can i NOT PUT NUMBERS INTO ORDER IN eXCEL?

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:23
And when it says work out the average does it mean the mean?:confused:

Pipolinne
14-01-07, 23:26
If I remember correctly,when you're using a computer,you do not need to put it in order.

Anyway,you have few numbers to organize!And your teacher is not even asking you to draw conclusions based on the results,just to present a graphic with them.
You need to make those ,because you'll work with means and medians,not with the rough data.

Try to concentrate on your task,instead of coming here so many times ;).

And yes,average = mean.

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:49
OK, I have the 2 means

Line error mean: 20.065
Angle error mean: 18. 852

How do I work out the median?! With excel?:confused:

AnthonyShock1515
14-01-07, 23:56
Please? Quickly I have to go to bed in a minute:o

Pipolinne
15-01-07, 00:15
Jarhead already told you about the median. Sincerely,I do not know how to calculate it in Excel,only in SPSS,which you don't have,so it's a not great help.

Try to use his method,Anthony :).