PDA

View Full Version : What classes are/were you in?

AnthonyShock1515
15-01-07, 22:55
When you were in school or still in school what class are you in, like skillwise if thats how your school operates.

Our school goes up in points depending intellegence rank. It states from (the year group- eg 7) 7.9 which is the lowest to 7.1 which is top set.
In Year seven I was in 7.4, but in Year 8 I shot up to 7.2 then in Year 9 I shot up to 9.1. Since we're dong GCSE now we ususally know our classes depending on our english classes. So now I'm back in .2, which I liked more because people were too cocky in .1 and full of themselves. .2 people were down to earth and even though there were some buffoons it was a great class. But now the bufoons are gone and we all have a classical 3 lessons a week:D

What about you guys?

Ampersand
15-01-07, 23:00
I was in Year 4X (as opposed to 4Y - never really learned the difference) when I was seven/eight, though to be honest I'm so out of the loop I can never remember much about how school years work.

jarhead
15-01-07, 23:02
Each class has 3 sets, bottom, middle and top set ( top set being for more academicaly minded). Then theres ALPS who do everything a year early. I'm in alps

viper456
15-01-07, 23:08
top set for everything appart from maths and french (set 2 out of 7 for maths and 3 out of 7 for french)not bad i recon :D (set 1 being top set 7 being bottom)

domina
15-01-07, 23:23
In my high school, we had on-level, honors, AP, and Magnet courses. My school had a science "magnet" program which meant that we had a special division of the school targeted for students who planned on studying math and science intently after they graduated. I wasn't a part of that program so I never took any of those courses, but I think if a student really wanted to, they could request to enroll in them.

AP courses were "Advanced Placement" classes which could give you college credit. It usually moved a lot faster than the on-level classes, but the big difference was preparing fo the AP test, which would determine whether or not you'd get the college credit. The tests were graded on a scale of 1-5, 3 being the lowest that most colleges would accept to bypass general education.

Honors classes were basically as hard as most AP classes, but you weren't expected to take the test. Most of the classes I took in high school were honors, but I did a few on-level courses for things like math and science. AP and Magnet kids were definitely really elitist about their status, even to honors students. It was kinda bull****. :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
15-01-07, 23:24
I'm in regular math, science, Spanish, photography and Honors english (advanced).

Rivendell
16-01-07, 00:05
I was in top set for everything until the last 6 months of GCSE when I went to 2nd set Science, yet still had to take top set paper. Logical. No wonder I got a D :D

Ikas90
16-01-07, 00:22
For my school, the classes used to be named by the last name of our teachers, eg, 4P, 5B and 6G.

In High school, it's different. I'm in Year 12, so there are classes for different subjects, eg, Maths = 12MIK (Maths Intermediate [teachers last initial])

:)

Olvidarse
16-01-07, 00:26
Honors classes were basically as hard as most AP classes, but you weren't expected to take the test.

Oh gosh, no. I've been in mandatory honors classes, and they're nowhere near the curriculum standards of AP. Though, this depends on the teacher... I currently have an AP teacher who's really easy/lazy (seems like Honors level coursework), but only 2 students passed her AP exam (3 or above) last year out of a class of around 60.

I don't think 6-8 hours of pure note taking every weekend is something I would do in Honors. :o

If the cold truth is elitist, welcome to the real world! :tmb:

EDIT: And if anyone ever sounds elitist for a class, it's out of bitterness and spite. I know you'd be bitter if someone said your coursework was child's play - or anything below what it actually is.

domina
16-01-07, 00:29
Oh gosh, no. I've been in mandatory honors classes, and they're nowhere near the curriculum standards of AP. Though, this depends on the teacher... I currently have an AP teacher who's really easy/lazy (seems like Honors level coursework), but only 2 students passed her AP exam (3 or above) last year out of a class of around 60.

I don't think 6-8 hours of pure note taking every weekend is something I would do in Honors. :o

If the cold truth is elitist, welcome to the real world! :tmb:

Keep in mind that it varies from school to school. For mine, most AP classes actually had very little mandatory work to do outside of class (as with real college), whereas homework was required for honors courses. Depending on the student, this could mean less work or more work in AP classes.

I did take some AP literature classes, and they weren't any harder than my honors courses. For me, anyhow.

Lara's Boy
16-01-07, 00:31
AP courses were "Advanced Placement" classes which could give you college credit. It usually moved a lot faster than the on-level classes, but the big difference was preparing fo the AP test, which would determine whether or not you'd get the college credit. The tests were graded on a scale of 1-5, 3 being the lowest that most colleges would accept to bypass general education.

I was in my HS's AP program; it was fun. Even as diverse as our lot were, I definetly agree on the elitist comment...but I am very guilty of that myself so I can't condemn it :D

It's almost as if they breed us to behave that way, as myself and most others are genuinely nice people. After so many years of being told that we're special and superior, it becomes easy to believe, and can make life in the "real world" a little tough at first, lmao

Mad Tony
16-01-07, 07:28
For English, there are 4 sets.

I am in 9Y1 (there is also a 9X1 but has no difference to 9Y1 and is exactly the same but just for the other half of the year. Same goes to all the other sets of all the other subjects)

Maths and Science, I am in 9B1, which is only slightly lower than 9A1. Sort of bottom top set really. :p
But in the A and B system, the X and Y are completely mixed up. The only difference is there is a slight difference between 9B1 and 9A1, all the rest are the same.
This could've influenced my science class, as I was in top set science last year and performing better than others currently in 9A1 at the moment, but this could possibly because of our maths set as well, seen as I have been in Y2 ever since year 7 and only just moved up.

For French, I'm in top set.
The other two sets are mixed ability.
Sort of like top set out of two classes really.

Here's the stupid thing, Art, IT, Drama and Music are all pretty much on how good you are at RE, History and Geography.
I'm in top set for all those listed above, but I'm only top set for Art, Drama and Music because I'm in top set for Geography, History and RE. I probably would be in top set for IT anyway if there was one that was not determined by other subjects.

For all the other subjects, we don't have sets.

Lew
16-01-07, 08:04
Double ICT Award (Designing etc.)
DT (Design too)

Nephili
16-01-07, 08:09
We had loads of sets when I was in secondary school, we had like 9 lol.

1 2 3 - Top sets
4 4a 5 - Middle Sets
6 7 8 - Bottom sets

When I started at the school, I was in set three, but as 5 years rolled on, I ended up in set 4 for everything lol :p

Punaxe
16-01-07, 15:15
In High school, I have taken... Let me think...

Dutch
English
French
German
Greek
Latin
Mathematics B12 (top level)
Chemistry 1 (not top level :p)
Physics 1 (not top level :p)
Biology 12 (top level)
Music
Drawing
Handcrafting
Theatre
Classical Cultures Education

And now at university, so far I have taken...

Manufacturing Technology
GUI
User Focus and Perspective
The Context of New Product Development
Teamwork
Java A and B
Introduction to Social & Cultural Trends for Design
Perspective Drawing
VWO Maths Refresh Course
Principles of Intelligent Systems
Interaction Design 1
Marketing Research
Introducing Electronics
Introducing Research Methodology

I'm studying Industrial Design btw :p

Ward Dragon
16-01-07, 15:48
My high school had normal level classes, honors level classes, and AP classes (although AP was only for some of the subjects). Less...academic classes like art, music, and gym did not have various levels of difficulty. I ended up taking all of the AP classes that I could and the rest were honors (except for art, gym, etc.)

There wasn't really an elitest attitude in my high school. There were maybe 20 students (including me) out of several hundred who took the AP classes together and had known each other since elementary school, so we weren't out for each other's blood or anything like that :p Less than half of our classes were AP classes and the rest were honors. I'd say about half the school was in honors classes, so it wasn't that big of a deal and we were in the same classes as everybody else most of the time anyway. On top of that, many honors students took a few AP classes (but not all of them) so all of the students who really cared about academics probably had at least one AP class they could be in. There was maybe a sense of comraderie among those of us who took the same classes together, but we didn't act better than everyone else in the school :)

Punaxe
16-01-07, 16:01
Oh yeah, I'm also following an Honours Programme, which seems to mean something different than it does in schools abroad.
Here, it is a programme for "excellent" students, who are able to and want to do more than what is offered in the general curriculum. It consists of two extra classes and one research study per year. I've currently had a class about Global Supply Chain Management, and am researching the relationship between constructive elements of a building and its spatial design, and what subjective interpretations are made in the transition between the two.

bett
16-01-07, 16:57
the classes at my high school were normal level. there were a few classrooms for kids with learning disabilities but even they were integrated into the regular classrooms. we also had AP courses, we took those in order to be awarded the Commonwealth Diploma at graduation (and for college hours, although very few got them.) in order to get the diploma you had to take at least four APs and test in at least three (the score didn't matter, thankfully)

in college you have students and then you have students in the honors program. i'm in the honors program. i have to take an honors course each semester for my first two years of college and then in my junior year i can take like a speciality 300 course and do something cool (like going to hawaii to study volcanoes) or study abroad (like, going to china to teach the children english). the professors of the honors classes usually require the students to complete at least one honors activity a week (or to where it averages out that you did one a week). the activities usually include things like aikido training, personal development institutes, movie nights, pizza with a professor, high tea, meditation & eastern thoughts, faces of faith and meetings.

CuteKittenlol
16-01-07, 17:04
For Maths and Science im in 9x1 [That's the top set :D]
For English im in 9x3 [Middle set, I'm totally crap at English, I hate it :p]
For French I'm in 9xA [Top set, the ones with higher abilities, I did do German because I was 'taleneted', but I hated German lessons, so I stopped doing them, stupid teacher.....]

For all my other lessons I'm with my form, so I'm with people of mixed ability's.....for now XD

Punaxe
16-01-07, 17:05
the activities usually include things like aikido training, personal development institutes, movie nights, pizza with a professor, high tea, meditation & eastern thoughts, faces of faith and meetings.

Is that from the honours programme as well? Mine doesn't do that just yet... But we're going to Berlin soon :D
What's faces of faith?

bett
16-01-07, 17:25
yeah, that's part of our honors program. i think the furtherest we have went is pennsylvania for a roundtable conference. at it the honors student from different universities in kentucky came together to discuss issues and do presentations.

faces of faith is a weekly program we have. we invite a ranking member of a certain belief to come in and explain their theology to us. the people presenting do NOT try to push their religion on to us, they merely present what they believe, how they practice and dispell stereotypes about their religion. i went to one last semester where a grand high priestess from the wiccan society talked to us, it was interesting. other weeks have included, catholic priests and baptist preachers, we've seen evangelicans and buddhist. it really is an interesting program

Hyper_Crazy
16-01-07, 17:28
Well at 1st we had A-F bands A being the top set and F being the bottom.
Then it was like 9X1,9X2,9X3,9Y1 and 9Y2 with 9X1 being the top set and 9Y2 being the bottom.
Now it his blue and green band and its mixed abilties....:( But I was always in topset.

Psyched
16-01-07, 17:30
We only get set in maths (it's a small school, 1-4 at GCSE, 1-3 and Further at A level). I've been in the top one since GCSE.

Otherwise, it's Latin, English Literature, and English Language. Win. :)

Spitfire
16-01-07, 17:41
I'm in 11th grade highschool and taking:

Physics AP
English III AP
American History AP
Computers/business
Web Design
Pre-Cal

clexy
18-01-07, 17:39
I feel like an idiot, 7,2 , 9,1 first second what rubbish system is this? Is that In america?:confused:

Sofitegan
18-01-07, 18:38
we're in mixed ability in all classes except maths and science. im in the top set for both.

SSJ6Wolf
18-01-07, 18:49
I feel like an idiot, 7,2 , 9,1 first second what rubbish system is this? Is that In america?:confused:
Can't answer your first question but as far as I know it is not in the US at all.

Both of my high schools had basic, honors, and AP classes. Right now I'm going through midterms for:

AP Calculus
Civics
Humanities Honors
Astronomy
AP French
Wind Ensemble

Next semester (ie. next week) Civics and Astronomy end and I start taking music theory and statistics honors. :)

StUdEnT rAiDeR
18-01-07, 20:56
our classes go like this:

J1 top class
J2
J3
S1
S2
S3 bottom class

and since our school is rubbish it changes in year eleven since there is more people, It has went down now because people have common sense and dont send there kids to my school, so in years 10-11 it goes liek this:

J1 top class (ME!!!)
J2
J3
R1
R2
R3
W1
W2 bottom class

i was am in J1 :) since i started, im moving to go to another school and this will be the sets there:

A1 top class (hopefully ME!!!)
A2
A3
A4
A5
B1
B2
B3 bottom class

Bullethail
18-01-07, 20:59
Well, there's a bit of argument there. They can't decide if I'm reptile or mammal... :ton: