PDA

View Full Version : America - what to see and what to do, advice anyone

daventry
16-01-07, 16:33
What a good Year this is for me, after my 30th Birthday on March 13th, i shall be in America in May going to Orlando Floriday at DisneyWorld. :jmp:

I will also see New Yooooooooork, then i will go to Washington DC to the Whitehouse (ooh maybe i can go inside and get a Picture with Goerge Bush and then i plaster it here on the Board. :D)

I will be away for a Month and a Half, so what advice can you Americans give me to see and do there. :p

I hope i can bring all the stuff i buy with me, or the Security at the Airport will take all my stuff away that i want to take with me in the plane. :confused:

Lew
16-01-07, 16:35
Lucky ******* I well wanna go there! :)
Have fun and Laguna Beach looks great :tmb:

And Chicago/Detroit :tmb: and Nevada and Texas look nice places.

daventry
16-01-07, 16:39
Me and my Parents and my Sister will only go to Walt Disney and Washington DC and New York.

Looks like i will see Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 in America, hopefully in Disney World. :p

We will stay for 3 Weeks in Disney World, so i will avoid the Rollar Coasters and try the other rides, ooooh is the Tomb Raider ride also there.

Who has been to Disney World :)

Lew
16-01-07, 16:40
Me and my Parents and my Sister will only go to Walt Disney and Washington DC and New York.

Looks like i will see Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 in America, hopefully in Disney World. :p

:O You like to make me jealous don't you :D

bett
16-01-07, 16:44
we went to dc and nyc as part of our senior trip in high school and it was great. nyc was great, even tho it rained the entire time we were there, lol. we spent a day in china town/little italy and the second day in times square. if you're in times square, i would suggest seeing a broadway show. we saw phantom of the opera. that was my first one and to be honest i didn't think i would like it but it was one of my favorite scheduled experiences of the trip.

daventry
16-01-07, 20:05
While my Parents go to Memphis, i will stay one day and sleep at Disney Land all by my lonesome and then i can walk around the Giant Disney Park all by myself. :D

Spitfire
17-01-07, 00:01
Disney doesn't have any hardcore rollarcoasters, so i'd say try em!
It has amazing shows and very entertaining rides. You'll be sure to have fun.

New York, that going to be interesting I promise :D
Just so you know, expect to be hit a few times while walking around since everyone walks and uses the subways and they don't care who they hit with their arms and shoulders. There are tons of great things to do in NY and i'm telling you! Go see a play on broadway, they are phenominal!

Mr.Burns
17-01-07, 00:08
Well, for DC, definitely hit up the touristy spots. There's the WWII memorial, that's actually quite lovely. There's also the museums. If you enjoy shopping, there's Georgetown (my personal favorite) Which also has a good night life as well. There really is a lot to do in DC and that's just a small amount I can think of off the top of my head.

AmericanAssassin
17-01-07, 01:35
After Disney World, go to Universal Studios and Sea World! They're awesome too! If you go to New York, see Wicked on Broadway! It's awesome and worth its high price!

Mr.LadyCroft
17-01-07, 02:10
What a good Year this is for me, after my 30th Birthday on March 13th, i shall be in America in May going to Orlando Floriday at DisneyWorld. :jmp:

I will also see New Yooooooooork, then i will go to Washington DC to the Whitehouse (ooh maybe i can go inside and get a Picture with Goerge Bush and then i plaster it here on the Board. :D)

I will be away for a Month and a Half, so what advice can you Americans give me to see and do there. :p

I hope i can bring all the stuff i buy with me, or the Security at the Airport will take all my stuff away that i want to take with me in the plane. :confused:

wow your lucky. i lived in america all my life and haven't been to any of those places.

Natey168
17-01-07, 02:21

We will stay for 3 Weeks in Disney World, so i will avoid the Rollar Coasters and try the other rides, ooooh is the Tomb Raider ride also there.

The Tomb Raider ride is at King's Island. But, have fun here! :)

crystalpanther
17-01-07, 02:32
I hope you have lots of fun! :D
A few spot I definitely recommend visiting in America are the original towns, in Philadelphia you can always expand your knowledge with all the tourist attractions and story's about ghosts in old saloons and such. Boston has some of the best restaurants... so if you ever have some spare time, I say go up north :D
Though I must admit, I absolutely loved Disney World :jmp:

Have fun! :)

AmericanAssassin
17-01-07, 02:34
The Tomb Raider ride is at King's Island. But, have fun here! :)

It's awesome!!! :D

daventry
17-01-07, 13:43
Whats the chance of meeting one of you guys in New York :p

By the way, here in South Africa (and the UK) we drive on the Left side of the Road and the Steering Wheel is on the Right Side :)

George Orr
17-01-07, 18:56

I've been to Disney many times. I took my kids there just last August.

The lines there can be extremely long.
So here's a few suggestions for you to get optimal time there enjoying the place.

1. Get to the Parks early!!
Eat a good breakfast beforehand and bring bottles of water with you.

2. Get a Fast Pass for every big attraction in every park.
It's worth it. It's like reservations for a ride.
The Fast Pass lines go at least 10 to 100 times quicker than the standard lines.
I found that this is the best way to use it:

You'll be given a plastic card [similar to a credit card] as your entry ticket to the parks..
Upon arrival go to your favorite ride you wish to see for the day.
Find the Fast Pass station near the ride. They're like ATM machines that spit out timed tickets. Insert your entry card and voila! Fast Pass!
Let's say you get to the ride at 8:10 and you get your Fast Pass ticket. The ticket may say return between 11:40-12:10.

Even if you're one of the first ones there at the parks opening and the line looks short, do not go on the ride. Get your Fast Pass ticket and then go to another ride you desperately wish to see.
The wait for that ride may only be 20 minutes or so since it's early in the day. Even if it's an hour, you'll still have plenty of time to get back to your favorite within the time frame allotted.
One downside to Fast Passes is that they do run out and you can only collect them after certain time limits have expired from the last pass you received.
So get them as early as you can.

3. Avoid eating lunch or dinner at the standard times. 11:30am-12:30pm and 5:00pm-6:00pm.
Eating earlier than normal is the best way to avoid the long food lines.
If you really must eat at peak times then the best way is to plan to leave the park at that time. Take a break. Grab some lunch from one of the many restaurants in the Kissimmee area. Go back to your hotel. Jump in the pool and relax. Regroup and go back later in the Afternoon.

4. Another way to avoid the long lines at the Magic Kingdom and MGM is to see major attractions during parade times when everyone gathers at the Main streets.

5. Finally,.. go to some attractions just before closing.
We rode Goofy's Barnstormer 3 times in a row without getting off the ride!
It's a good thing too. I couldn't imagine waiting 2 hours for that 90 second ride.
The attendant/cast member saw that there were no other people waiting to get on. So she just told everyone to stay on if you want to ride again.

Don't worry about the roller coasters at Disney. Most are tame but still alot of fun.
Expedition Everest at the Animal Kingdom is a must see however if you want big thrills.
The Rockin Rollercoaster at MGM is great for that too.

If you want some bigger coasters, head up the road to Universal Studios Island of Adventure. It's about 20 minutes away and you can buy discount tickets just about anywhere in Kissimmee.

Since you'll be in the area, another place you should really go to is the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral.
It's about a 2 hour drive from Orlando. It's worth it.

Have fun and take lots of pictures.

:)

daventry
17-01-07, 19:19
Awsome Advice George Orr thanks, im telling this all to my Mom and will Print all the Suggestions from you guys and keep them.

Oh and we are also going to Miami Beach. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

daventry
23-01-07, 10:40
We just came from the American Embessy and all our Documents and Passports are in order, so in May we are off to the good old USA

Bullethail
23-01-07, 10:54
Hmm... I've never been to Florida, so I can't help much... see if you can try some of the authentic American food. Believe me, if you were going to Colorado Springs, I'd have tons of suggestions! :D