PDA

View Full Version : Any other Christian TR fans?

Bullethail
16-01-07, 22:09
Well, I had thought about posting a thread, and decided not to... but now I've changed my mind. :D So... any other Christians on this fine forum?

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-01-07, 22:10
Me!!!! :jmp:

Bullethail
16-01-07, 22:11
Great! Nice to know that I'm not the only one here! :jmp:

2kool4u
16-01-07, 22:15
im a christian as well. I go to both presbertaryian and catholic.

george_croft
16-01-07, 22:17
I would consider myself a Christian:)
I believe in god, but not all the bible says (The highly edited version, that we know of)

2kool4u
16-01-07, 22:18
well what dont you believe?

bett
16-01-07, 22:25
i am, baptist

george_croft
16-01-07, 22:28
well what dont you believe?

Hmm, I don't believe that premarital sex is a sin. Nor do I beliave that being a homosexual is a sin. "Sins" like these in the bible, might have been added later on. If you know of the meetings priests had in Ephesus (for several years), you would understand that the bible has been read thrue, and many thing have been added and deleted! Premarital sex for a example, could just have been added because there was no condom, or pills at the time.:wve:

2kool4u
16-01-07, 22:34
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! tHEY TOLD ME THIS IN 7th GRADE 3 YEARS AGO!!!! I kept on telling them that condoms prevent diseases. I agree with you 100%!!!
btw i killed kurtis b4 u.

AmericanAssassin
16-01-07, 22:35
Yep. I'm a Christian. I don't attend church though.

2kool4u
16-01-07, 22:44
this is funny!!

>
>
> SOMEBODY'S RAISING THEIR KID RIGHT! One Nation, "Under God".
>
> One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom. The
>teacher was going to explain evolution to the children. The teacher
>asked a little boy: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
>
> TOMMY: Yes.
>
> TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
>
>
> TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
>
> TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the
>sky.
>
> TEACHER: Did you see God up there?
>
> TOMMY: No.
>
> TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't
>there. Possibly he just doesn't exist.
>
> A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions.
>
> The teacher agreed and the little girl asked the boy: Tommy, do
>you see the tree outside?
>
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
>
> TOMMY: Yessssss!
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
>
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
>
> TOMMY: Yes
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Do you see her brain?
>
> TOMMY: No
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in
>school, she possibly may not even have one!
>
>
> FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT" II CORINTHIANS 5:7

wantafanta
17-01-07, 00:00
Well, I had thought about posting a thread, and decided not to... but now I've changed my mind. :D So... any other Christians on this fine forum?

What difference does it make?

Spitfire
17-01-07, 00:05
this is funny!!

> SOMEBODY'S RAISING THEIR KID RIGHT! One Nation, "Under God".
>
> One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom. The
>teacher was going to explain evolution to the children. The teacher
>asked a little boy: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
>
>
> TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
>
>
> TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
>
> TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the
>sky.
>
> TEACHER: Did you see God up there?
>
> TOMMY: No.
>
> TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't
>there. Possibly he just doesn't exist.
>
> A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions.
>
> The teacher agreed and the little girl asked the boy: Tommy, do
>you see the tree outside?
>
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
>
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
>
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
>
> TOMMY: Yes
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Do you see her brain?
>
> TOMMY: No
>
> LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in
>school, she possibly may not even have one!
>
>
> FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT" II CORINTHIANS 5:7

Ok, i thoroughly enjoyed that!:D

wondering woman
17-01-07, 00:26
Well, I'm not a Christian, but I'm a Catholic. My cousins are Christians though.

I could never tell what the difference was? Wasn't it that Christians don't believe Mary isn't a saint?

and LOL to that short story

Medipack
17-01-07, 00:33
Technically Im anglican, but I dont believe in it. I think it was just a way of controlling the masses, a similiar story to the monster that would eat you if you didnt eat your vegetables.

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-01-07, 00:34
What difference does it make?

Exactly my thought.

Rivendell
17-01-07, 00:37
Well, I'm not a Christian, but I'm a Catholic. My cousins are Christians though.

I could never tell what the difference was?

To my knowledge, all Catholics are Christian but not all Christians are Catholics ;)

I'm not a practising Christian, though my dad is a Vicar.

vespertea
17-01-07, 01:56
I'm a Christian.

(I typed "I'm a Christmas" at first. :()

AmericanAssassin
17-01-07, 01:57
To my knowledge, all Catholics are Christian but not all Christians are Catholics ;)

That's right. I'm a Protestant -- a form of Christian.

JANKERSON
17-01-07, 02:08
Yes I am a Christian. :D

Mr.LadyCroft
17-01-07, 02:12
i'm christian. non-denominational. i think most of you should know what that means. (hope i spelled it right).

the hooliganz
17-01-07, 02:17
i a born-again christian, even though i can't go to church regularly, that is because it is far

JANKERSON
17-01-07, 02:21
i'm christian. non-denominational. i think most of you should know what that means. (hope i spelled it right).

Yep you spelled it right. :tmb:

Mr.LadyCroft
17-01-07, 02:23
Yep you spelled it right. :tmb:

yea i was hoping i did. :D

tombraiderluka
17-01-07, 02:36
I'm Christian too :)

ILG49ers
17-01-07, 02:48
I'm a Christian! :)

domina
17-01-07, 02:51
I was technically raised Catholic (as far as the "rituals" go, I went as far as getting my First Communion), but in terms of my beliefs, I'm not a Christian.

Spitfire
17-01-07, 04:21
I was raised catholic and all the spoon-fed information that seems too alter in my mind just made me become agnostic.

Lara's Boy
17-01-07, 04:24
I'm a christian; I currently attend a southern baptist church.

I don't share some of the same biases as the church, but I certainly believe in the fundamentals of christianity.

ivannnnn
17-01-07, 06:38
I'm not Christian or the sects...
But why Christians there're so many sects??

Mad Tony
17-01-07, 07:20
Yep. I'm a Christian. I don't attend church though.
Same here. :)

ivannnnn
17-01-07, 07:22
Same here. :)
Isn't it strange Ben?U're Chritian but never go to church..isn't that must? :confused:

Mad Tony
17-01-07, 07:25
Isn't it strange Ben?U're Chritian but never go to church..isn't that must? :confused:
I'm not the only one remember.
But I do believe in the whole general Christian religion.
Regardless of whether I go to church, I still follow Christianity.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 07:36

Actually, there isn't actually a requirement to go to church. Is it important to go to church? Yes. Do I have to go to church to be a Christian? Not at all. It's just good to be around other Christians, praise God, learn some stuff... etc.

Well, I haven't really told anybody anything about my beliefs! I'm non-denominational. I go to church most weeks, unless 1) I'm unable to, or 2) We just stay home and discuss something as a family. It's important to go to church, but sometimes it's very nurturing just to talk about something as a family. We just do it once every few months, though.

Rivendell
17-01-07, 08:24
I'm not Christian or the sects...
But why Christians there're so many sects??

Because there's so many disagreements! Lots believe the Bible should be interpreted in different ways.

peffect
17-01-07, 08:51

What's vicar? I'm surprised everyday I hear 'bout a new religion:confused:

I'm muslim

Ikas90
17-01-07, 08:52
I'm Orthodox. Does that count? I still believe in God, yes.

Rivendell
17-01-07, 08:57
What's vicar? I'm surprised everyday I hear 'bout a new religion:confused:

lol :D
A Vicar is a christian priest, usually in (or only in, I'm not sure) protestantism.

:wve:

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-01-07, 09:11
Because there's so many disagreements! Lots believe the Bible should be interpreted in different ways.

We're human, nobody interprets the bible 100% accurately imo. I go to a Christian and Missionary Alliance church, which is a branch off the Protestant denomination pretty much. I never like to judge be denominations though, because the heart is what counts and one's personal relationship with God, if we're focussed on who interprets the Bible more accurately, then we're reliant on self righteousness pretty much. Although, biblical accuracly is most definitely important. The point I'm trying to make is that it is ok if people don't agree 100% with another person's interpretation; in fact, they shouldn't take anyone's word for it so seriously without looking it up themselves. Additionally, I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting under a preacher who taught, what I felt, to be deliberate contradictions of he Bible.

Having different interpretations here and there is fine, becaue ultimately, we believe in the same things. Some religions require everyone to agree 100% on absolutely everything, and to me, that seems more dogmatic. Instead of focussing on denominations and the little differences, I think the big picture is much more important. Sure, I'd love to understand everything in the Bible 100% to the very last word, but I know that I don't, and my interpretations may not always be accurate, but that's ok, because I really am trying my best. What's important is to focus on God's word and not rely on other people's interpretations, because if we get too caught up into believing something just because our denomination tells us to, then we're following just that, a denomination. I could go on forever because I don't want people to get confused with what I'm saying, because yes, I think it's definitely important to listen to like a preacher for example, and hear their interpretations of the scripture; however, don't believe something just because some one said so, the biblical evidence is what is crucial.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 09:32
We're human, nobody interprets the bible 100% accurately imo. I go to a Christian and Missionary Alliance church, which is a branch off the Protestant denomination pretty much. I never like to judge be denominations though, because the heart is what counts and one's personal relationship with God, if we're focussed on who interprets the Bible more accurately, then we're reliant on self righteousness pretty much. Although, biblical accuracly is most definitely important. The point I'm trying to make is that it is ok if people don't agree 100% with another person's interpretation; in fact, they shouldn't take anyone's word for it so seriously without looking it up themselves. Additionally, I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting under a preacher who taught, what I felt, to be deliberate contradictions of he Bible.

Having different interpretations here and there is fine, becaue ultimately, we believe in the same things. Some religions require everyone to agree 100% on absolutely everything, and to me, that seems more dogmatic. Instead of focussing on denominations and the little differences, I think the big picture is much more important. Sure, I'd love to understand everything in the Bible 100% to the very last word, but I know that I don't, and my interpretations may not always be accurate, but that's ok, because I really am trying my best. What's important is to focus on God's word and not rely on other people's interpretations, because if we get too caught up into believing something just because our denomination tells us to, then we're following just that, a denomination. I could go on forever because I don't want people to get confused with what I'm saying, because yes, I think it's definitely important to listen to like a preacher for example, and hear their interpretations of the scripture; however, don't believe something just because some one said so, the biblical evidence is what is crucial.

Well said! :tmb:

Draco
17-01-07, 11:01
I was a Christian once...then I opened my eyes.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 11:04
I was a Christian once...then I opened my eyes.

Meaning...?

angelika
17-01-07, 11:11
I'm Orthodox. Does that count? I still believe in God, yes.

^^
ofcourse counts! I am an orthodox christian too! But I don't follow the rules to the last detail but I try to be a good person and keep an inner contact with God.

Ikas90
17-01-07, 11:14
ofcourse counts! I am an orthodox christian too! But I don't follow the rules to the last detail but I try to be a good person and keep an inner contact with God.

Yeah, me too, I suppose ;)

Ampersand
17-01-07, 11:35
Catholic over here. :wve:

Ada the Mental
17-01-07, 12:11
Well I'm an orthodox....according to the papers!:p

See that's trhe problem:the must!That's why I think religions are pretence and hypocrisy (apart from a good way to lead people like sheep).You may be a good person but if you don't practice your religion and don't live according to it,pray etc your soul's going to suffer eternal torture after death or something like that according to your religion,right?

As far as christianism is concerned,no it's not a must,because they say that
God can be worshiped everywhere.However it is supposed to be important to go to Church.

Laramania
17-01-07, 12:19
I'm a Christian,too! But I don't attend church a lot!

Mr.Burns
17-01-07, 13:21
As far as christianism is concerned,no it's not a must,because they say that
God can be worshiped everywhere.However it is supposed to be important to go to Church.

If G-d can be worshiped everywhere, then what's the necessity for worshiping in a building (aside from protection from the weather)? I've always found this concept a bit confusing. I'm Jewish by the way.

Ada the Mental
17-01-07, 13:30
If G-d can be worshiped everywhere, then what's the necessity for worshiping in a building (aside from protection from the weather)? I've always found this concept a bit confusing. I'm Jewish by the way.

Exactly!They're contradicting themselves!:vlol:

krycekuva
17-01-07, 13:37
i believe the thruth is out there,...

Lara's Boy
17-01-07, 13:47

It's nothing more but a man-made tradition.

The Bible says where two or more are gathered in his name, so he will be there also; it's just that we have an inherent need for comfort, and that's transformed into a need to have a structured time of worship inside a building.

I actually think that's one of the things I hate most, lol...it's one of these silly traditions that a lot of 'christians' base their judgement on other people by...."Oh...Sally hasn't been to church in a while, I bet she's not doing so well in her spiritual life, while we sit here inside a building and are still morally devoid" But anyway, that's a rant I could go on and on about :D

Bullethail
17-01-07, 13:49
Pretty much. It's not a necessity, it's just good for you.

Lara's Boy
17-01-07, 13:53
Pretty much. It's not a necessity, it's just good for you.

I absolutely agree :)

I just hate that it seems that the majority of the church (in what I find a horribly elitist manner) doesn't share that view; it's either you come to church and have a clean soul, or you don't - whether it's infrequently or not at all - and there's no way that one can have a 'right' relationship with God. But, like I said, I can rant about that all day, so I'll stop, lol

jjbennett
17-01-07, 13:55
It's nothing more but a man-made tradition.

The Bible says where two or more are gathered in his name, so he will be there also; it's just that we have an inherent need for comfort, and that's transformed into a need to have a structured time of worship inside a building.

I actually think that's one of the things I hate most, lol...it's one of these silly traditions that a lot of 'christians' base their judgement on other people by...."Oh...Sally hasn't been to church in a while, I bet she's not doing so well in her spiritual life, while we sit here inside a building and are still morally devoid" But anyway, that's a rant I could go on and on about :D

Yeah I agree with you on that, theres a Dave Alvin song called Everett Ruess (he was an artist and writer who wandered into the deserts of the southwest to explore it alone - at the age of 20, he went into the Utah desert with two donkeys and never returned) which i love and has the lyrics ;

Well I hate your crowded cities
With your sad and hopeless mobs
And I hate your grand cathedrals
Where you try to trap God.

‘Cause I know God is here in the canyons
With the rattlesnakes and the pinon pines
And they never found my body, boys
Or understood my mind.

Janny
17-01-07, 13:56
Wow, a whole lot of discussion here I see

I am Christian.. although I haven't been inside a church for more than 4 years and haven't been to confession since... ever. I don't like the idea of telling my so called sins to a stranger. Or worshiping something that I didn't see or ever showed me some sort of sign. But I'm still considered a Christian for some reason..

Mr.Burns
17-01-07, 14:13
I absolutely agree :)

I just hate that it seems that the majority of the church (in what I find a horribly elitist manner) doesn't share that view; it's either you come to church and have a clean soul, or you don't - whether it's infrequently or not at all - and there's no way that one can have a 'right' relationship with God. But, like I said, I can rant about that all day, so I'll stop, lol

Well, how else would the church maintain its power if they started telling people that to maintain a clean soul, you don't have attend services in a building.

2kool4u
17-01-07, 14:17
They are not forcing you to go to church. Its just a place of gathering and worshiping God as a comunity. You could watch BET.

Lara's Boy
17-01-07, 14:25
Well, how else would the church maintain its power if they started telling people that to maintain a clean soul, you don't have attend services in a building.

This is a very valid point, and another reason why I think organized religion in and of itself sucks, lol.

@2Kool4U:

Of course they aren't forcing anyone, but in the case I'm speaking of, they cast judgement on those that aren't "of the flock", and to me that fairly smacks of hypocrisy.

@JJBennett: Those are great lyrics; I totally agree with them, lol

Bullethail
17-01-07, 14:53

Because you don't have to maintain a clean soul. The spirit of Christianity is that when He died on the cross, our sins were forgiven. When you accept him as your saviour, that's it. You have a clean slate. All past, present, and future sins are forgiven. However, if you don't, you'r basically saying, "no, he didn't die for me." Therefore, you have to face the consequences for your sin. Church doesn't cleanse you, it just keeps you strong. Or at least, that's what my beliefs are, in case anyone's offended.

Mr.Burns
17-01-07, 14:59
Because you don't have to maintain a clean soul. The spirit of Christianity is that when He died on the cross, our sins were forgiven. When you accept him as your saviour, that's it. You have a clean slate. All past, present, and future sins are forgiven. However, if you don't, you'r basically saying, "no, he didn't die for me." Therefore, you have to face the consequences for your sin. Church doesn't cleanse you, it just keeps you strong. Or at least, that's what my beliefs are, in case anyone's offended.

I'm not offended but my last statement was rhetorical.

Lara Croft!
17-01-07, 15:16
I'm Greek Christian Orthodox!!!

disneyprincess20
17-01-07, 16:23
I'm... Confused.
I went to a convent until I was 8.
I attended a Anglican Cathedral School until I was 18, then a Cathedral University.
Now I only ever attend Church to see my other half sing.
I would call myself Anglican, in a round about way. Jesus is in my heart but not necessarily in my everyday life.

scion05
17-01-07, 16:58
Im Protestant, but hate christianity, and the views expressed by the church :wve:

Hope i havent offended anyone :)

Bullethail
17-01-07, 17:02
Im Protestant, but hate christianity, and the views expressed by the church :wve:

Hope i havent offended anyone :)

None taken. However, there are several different denominations with different views, so I'm not sure that's entirely a good way to put it.

Mona Sax
17-01-07, 17:04
Lots of Christians here, it seems.

Personally I don't believe in anything I haven't seen or felt myself or that others can't provide reasonable proof for.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 17:07
I can understand that, but believe me, I think I've seen plenty!

xcrushterx
17-01-07, 17:07
im catholic(so yes i'm a christian). Though i haven't been to church for years (excluding weddings christinings etc.)

Mona Sax
17-01-07, 17:10
I can understand that, but believe me, I think I've seen plenty!
Good for you.

Not good enough for me unless you're able to show me gods, miracles or any other supernatural things. I've never seen any of it, not even hints of it, so I remain an unbeliever.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 17:13
Oh, I've seen miracles. Supernatural beings and gods? Tricky. Only some people see angels in this world, so well... but believe me, miracles sure are real.

StUdEnT rAiDeR
17-01-07, 17:16
Good for you.

Not good enough for me unless you're able to show me gods, miracles or any other supernatural things. I've never seen any of it, not even hints of it, so I remain an unbeliever.

ditto

i also dont belive it because i think it has caused so many wars in forieghn coutries and if god was that almighty he should have the power to stops thesse things happening and should have thought about what he was creating instead of making a religeon mindlessly,

sorry if that offended anyone.

Terminatorvs
17-01-07, 18:17
I was a christian, but then I understood, that religion is but a fairie-tale.

Bullethail
17-01-07, 18:18
So did you actually denounce your faith?

da tomb raider!
17-01-07, 18:20
I'm a Christian Tomb Raider fan. :wve:

Draco
17-01-07, 18:59
Meaning...?

Meaning I don't define my life by the existance (or not) of a being that is only rumored to be benevolent. Whether god exists or not is not a question I have...but I have serious doubt about his/her/it's credibility.

Mr.Burns
17-01-07, 19:12
Meaning I don't define my life by the existance (or not) of a being that is only rumored to be benevolent. Whether god exists or not is not a question I have...but I have serious doubt about his/her/it's credibility.

Yet for all we know, the concept of G-d is merely an invention by the human mind to cope with what it can not understand and to give hope to the masses by saying, "there's an all powerful, benevolent being watching out for us, yet if you wrong her/him/it then they will damn you for all eternity." I will agree with you that the supreme being's credibility is in question since all we know of it comes from humans which can not by nature, be trusted. At this point, some would wonder why a professed Jew would talk this way. The answer is that my faith is more of a matter of spirituality than about following a set of guidelines laid out by a supposed supreme being.

amitabha
17-01-07, 21:07
This thread is almost like the civil rights movement. I sense segregation amongst other spirtual believers, or maybe even those don't don't follow anything, which is still ok to me. I'm a buddhist by the way.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-01-07, 21:34

Church is a place to fellowship with other Christians worship God in unity. Also, a preachers job is to essentially break down the scripture and give their interpretations with biblical backup. Nobody is forced to agree, but it's nice to have that because there really is a lot we can learn from one another. Additionally, the bible says that where two or more are gathered in God's name, there he is in the midst of them. So I view church as a place of fellowship where we can worship the Lord in unity and learn from each other.

Ok, I'm going to throw a metaphor in here that I just thought of. Like speaking another language, for example. Let's say you were learning to speak Japanese. Don't you think you would learn much more effectively if you spent a lot of time with Japanese speaking people than if you tried to learn it all by yourself? I look at church being similar in that area.

So yeah, you can worship the Lord wherever you are, and you can still be a christian even if you don't go to church, but I still find it important.

ILG49ers
17-01-07, 23:17
Church is a place to fellowship with other Christians worship God in unity. Also, a preachers job is to essentially break down the scripture and give their interpretations with biblical backup. Nobody is forced to agree, but it's nice to have that because there really is a lot we can learn from one another. Additionally, the bible says that where two or more are gathered in God's name, there he is in the midst of them. So I view church as a place of fellowship where we can worship the Lord in unity and learn from each other.

Ok, I'm going to throw a metaphor in here that I just thought of. Like speaking another language, for example. Let's say you were learning to speak Japanese. Don't you think you would learn much more effectively if you spent a lot of time with Japanese speaking people than if you tried to learn it all by yourself? I look at church being similar in that area.

So yeah, you can worship the Lord wherever you are, and you can still be a christian even if you don't go to church, but I still find it important.

I completely agree! :tmb: I used to think going to Church wasn’t necessary, because you can worship God wherever you are, but I changed my view on that ever since I started to go to the Church I’m going to. Yes, you can worship God when and wherever, but the thing about Church is that it brings you around other believers. Which is a huge deal for me personally…I really truly have grown in my Christian walk ever since I joined a Church about a year and a half ago. You definitely do have to find the right Church though because I know some, including myself, may of had some bad experiences at different Churches.

MiCkiZ88
17-01-07, 23:32
Yup.. Christian here :) Lutherian. I can't say wrether I like or don't the way lutherian religion is so stripped down from Catholism. But I cant say that I like the fuss that would be if the churches and or everyday life would be similiar to catholism.

I don't go to church at all. I only did go there for my marital licence and because of the summer camp needed for the marital licence. But I beliave in God. BUT I also beliave in alot of else.. ghosts, supernatural stuff etc.

Forwen
18-01-07, 00:02
Me, I'm an atheist. Nothing transcendent that a human can cook up in their anthropocentric minds can be more beautiful than a crude matter and empty space; and the idea of a great human-esque mind behind everything I see makes this great multiverse too cramped for my tastes. Guess I'm just feeling too secure to need a beard in the sky, huh.

This is a sample of my philosophy. Whatever yours may be I'm happy for you as long as you respect mine.
Yet for all we know, the concept of G-d is merely an invention by the human mind to cope with what it can not understand and to give hope to the masses by saying, "there's an all powerful, benevolent being watching out for us, yet if you wrong her/him/it then they will damn you for all eternity." I will agree with you that the supreme being's credibility is in question since all we know of it comes from humans which can not by nature, be trusted.
Beautifully said - thanks for sparing me the problem of struggling to pronounce it myself ;)
Bad news for you: Protestants are Christians.

the hooliganz
18-01-07, 07:53
i agree with melonie tomb raider, the church is a place for you to worship god as one, but you can still worship god everywhere

Terminatorvs
18-01-07, 08:51
So did you actually denounce your faith?

Something like that. I understood that hoping and believing is nothing compared to knowing for sure.

Mona Sax
18-01-07, 15:10
but believe me, miracles sure are real.
Forgive me if I don't. I'll start believing when I've seen one. :wve:

Mr.Burns
18-01-07, 15:33

Very well stated but I still don't feel that it's necessary to worship G-d in a building simply because someone says it's a "house of G-d". As for a sense of unity, yes, in that respect, you've got a good point but at the same time, If G-d is everywhere, then why a Church/temple/synagogue/Mosque? Why not simply meet at someone's home in the winter and then outside during summer? Or is it that for many, a place of worship is a center of spiritualism? Do keep in mind that I'm merely playing (excuse the term for the sake of this conversation) Devil's Advocate.

Beautifully said - thanks for sparing me the problem of struggling to pronounce it myself ;)

Glad to be of service. :wve:

Forgive me if I don't. I'll start believing when I've seen one. :wve:

Ditto. I personally see miracles as a matter of well timed circumstance in favor of the person looking for one.

dbot
18-01-07, 20:11
I'm a christian

To be honest, I dont know what I'd do if i lost my faith. To me, the presence of a God adds so much depth to the world.

to imagine an existence without God in my opinion, makes life just seem cold, and ugly, and ultimately meaningless.

It kinda seems to me, that if we came to be solely by evolution from single celled organisms by chance long ago, then all the things humanity has done and accomplished, and even things such as our emotions, have no mass to them. So to me, not only does the existence of humanity give glory to God, as many christians believe, the existence of God gives glory to man as well.

Im not even saying that we were started by adam and eve in a garden somewhere...i would just rather think that life on this earth has some reasoning behind it, and not just be some astronomically lucky happenings. And if that makes me "weak minded", then fine, even though I must add that believing in God is rarely easy. Some of my most mentally and emotionally challenging moments have come as a result of my faith. And i firmly believe that it rewards me far more than just a promise of hereafter, and I honestly dont think i would be who i am, or where I am today if it weren't for a belief in God.

I do find a number of problems with the organization of christianity (not the faith itself), and i do wish that people of faith, and those not of faith would try and bridge the gap, though. Whatever we believe, and wherever we think we came from, we are all humans on this planet, and we need to treat each other as such. I think these lyrics state my point, whatever the original intention of the author might have been.

"...and I don't know where we are going
but we're here on this ride
and we'll stand side by side
all along the way
follow me to the future's distant shore
vagary needn't haunt us anymore
and now it's time to set the agenda,
learn the past, make it last
share the wealth, hold your fire,
conserve life, make it right
kill the hate, negotiate
there will be a way"
-"There Will Be A Way" Bad Religion

Melonie Tomb Raider
18-01-07, 21:02
Very well stated but I still don't feel that it's necessary to worship G-d in a building simply because someone says it's a "house of G-d". As for a sense of unity, yes, in that respect, you've got a good point but at the same time, If G-d is everywhere, then why a Church/temple/synagogue/Mosque? Why not simply meet at someone's home in the winter and then outside during summer? Or is it that for many, a place of worship is a center of spiritualism? Do keep in mind that I'm merely playing (excuse the term for the sake of this conversation) Devil's Advocate.

Well it's not necessary because someone says it's a house of God. If people are going to church for that reason, because of what people say, then perhaps they aren't going for the right reasons at all. You did, however, bring up a good point about why services have to be in a church rather than possibly in someone's house. The way I see it, church services could very well be held in someone's house and have the same effect. Services do not have to be held in a church building, they can be at someone's house, or even outside for that matter. Church isn't about the building at all, it's much more than that. Obviously though, having a church building is far more convieniant. The seating is more fitting, having the pulpit up there most definitely serves an important purpose, and all the equipment can stay there as well. Over all, regardless of whether one attends church in a church building, or someone's house, I feel that God honors both equally. The term church, for me, does not refer to the building itself, but to the body of members within.

You definitely bring up interesting points Mr. Burns, I hope I was able to convey my points clearly. :)

Forgive me if I don't. I'll start believing when I've seen one.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, I would never expect you to believe in miracles solely because I have witnessed them. Being a christian is highly determined by faith, if you don't have faith then I'm not going to tell you that should because of my experiences. So yeah, it's nice that you've been civil in this thread and not caused trouble because you disagree. Thank you for your respect, you definitely have mine. :)

Mr.Burns
18-01-07, 21:34
Well it's not necessary because someone says it's a house of God. If people are going to church for that reason, because of what people say, then perhaps they aren't going for the right reasons at all. You did, however, bring up a good point about why services have to be in a church rather than possibly in someone's house. The way I see it, church services could very well be held in someone's house and have the same effect. Services do not have to be held in a church building, they can be at someone's house, or even outside for that matter. Church isn't about the building at all, it's much more than that. Obviously though, having a church building is far more convieniant. The seating is more fitting, having the pulpit up there most definitely serves an important purpose, and all the equipment can stay there as well. Over all, regardless of whether one attends church in a church building, or someone's house, I feel that God honors both equally. The term church, for me, does not refer to the building itself, but to the body of members within.

You definitely bring up interesting points Mr. Burns, I hope I was able to convey my points clearly. :)

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, I would never expect you to believe in miracles solely because I have witnessed them. Being a christian is highly determined by faith, if you don't have faith then I'm not going to tell you that should because of my experiences. So yeah, it's nice that you've been civil in this thread and not caused trouble because you disagree. Thank you for your respect, you definitely have mine. :)

You always do which is why I enjoy these discussions with you. Thank you. Though I could also point out that proper seating, pulpits and equipment aren't completely necessary. the way I see it, is based on a particular faith, all one would really need is a place to meet as a group, a holy scripture and someone to lead the group. Basicly what I was hinting at earlier is that in the bible, it mentions (unless I'm mistaken) Jesus ministering out in the open, which I would see as him implying that meeting in a building isn't necessary to pray with G-d. Now this line of thought stems from my personal feelings that Jesus did this out of defiance to the Jewish temple priests who were trying to monopolize on the power they've established over the years. So after Jesus' death on the Cross, it's my understanding that the early Christians were scattered. Ok, trying to get to my point a bit faster here (this is quite long winded and I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but this is just a personal theory of mine)

Now fast forward a couple centuries. The Roman empire is dying. Here's my theory: The emperor knows this and is trying to find a way to survive, he sees this increasingly popular religion and decides to integrate it into the current empire. Allowing for some adjustments to make the transition for the masses easier, basically I see the Catholic Church as the remains of the Roman Empire. So in order to maintain power, it's implied, or stressed that you must worship in a house of G-d to be close to him. Obviously this may not be the case but I'm just throwing this out there. So, upset with the way Christianity was being handled, factions broke away and we have the other denominations. It's my feeling that even though we have these different denominations, the concept of a need for a "house of G-d" has endured even though the original purpose has changed. Now here's where I could use some clarification: Didn't Jesus stress that to worship G-d, a building is not necessary? As I have said, this is merely my personal theory and I do not intend on offending anyone, I am merely curious to see people's thoughts on this.

Bullethail
18-01-07, 21:37
You always do which is why I enjoy these discussions with you. Thank you. Though I could also point out that proper seating, pulpits and equipment aren't completely necessary. the way I see it, is based on a particular faith, all one would really need is a place to meet as a group, a holy scripture and someone to lead the group. Basicly what I was hinting at earlier is that in the bible, it mentions (unless I'm mistaken) Jesus ministering out in the open, which I would see as him implying that meeting in a building isn't necessary to pray with G-d. Now this line of thought stems from my personal feelings that Jesus did this out of defiance to the Jewish temple priests who were trying to monopolize on the power they've established over the years. So after Jesus' death on the Cross, it's my understanding that the early Christians were scattered. Ok, trying to get to my point a bit faster here (this is quite long winded and I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but this is just a personal theory of mine)

Now fast forward a couple centuries. The Roman empire is dying. Here's my theory: The emperor knows this and is trying to find a way to survive, he sees this increasingly popular religion and decides to integrate it into the current empire. Allowing for some adjustments to make the transition for the masses easier, basically I see the Catholic Church as the remains of the Roman Empire. So in order to maintain power, it's implied, or stressed that you must worship in a house of G-d to be close to him. Obviously this may not be the case but I'm just throwing this out there. So, upset with the way Christianity was being handled, factions broke away and we have the other denominations. It's my feeling that even though we have these different denominations, the concept of a need for a "house of G-d" has endured even though the original purpose has changed. Now here's where I could use some clarification: Didn't Jesus stress that to worship G-d, a building is not necessary? As I have said, this is merely my personal theory and I do not intend on offending anyone, I am merely curious to see people's thoughts on this.

Exactly. You could hold church in a tent with coolers for seating if you wanted!

Melonie Tomb Raider
18-01-07, 21:43
Well I definitely agree, Mr. Burns, a building is most certainly not necessary. Personally, I like it, and I prefer a church building as opposed to someone's house (I've done both); however, even though I prefer a church building, that's not what really matters. And yes, I also agree when you said equipment is not necessary as well. I find it as a nice addition, but not a necessity.

Definitely some good points you've brought up. :)

the hooliganz
19-01-07, 03:39
in our family, we have different beliefs, my grandparents in my father's side are roman catholics, my and my parents, two of my cousins and there parents (my Aunt and Uncle) in my mother's side are born-again christians, my mother's other sibling and his family is a seventh-day adventhist, my mother's parents are members of this group called Church of God. We all have different beliefs, which is kinda hard for me, especially with my grandparents, they kept blaming that they can't watch it in TV (the have a show in TV), because i removed that channel, which i hate, if i just know how to that i already it years ago, but they kept blaming me, and i can't tell them the truth because they're going to shout at me, they can make my mom, and her siblings believe at what they're saying, and they may shout at me too, and not just that, they could remove the internet, and the cable. that is why i want to go to new zealand so that i can live a new life, i need some help here

and the church shouldn't always be a building, it can be at home, i prefer going to church because it is more peaceful there

ILG49ers
19-01-07, 04:35
Like Mel said, the church is the members and not the building, so church can be held anywhere. Where you have church isn't important, but it is important that you attend a church, and even more important then that, is to be active in your church. Why? Because it’s so easy just to go with the flow of the world, but when you are around other believers and are active in your church, it keeps your focus on God. So where you have church isn't important really at all, but being around others that can hold you accountable, and help build you up is an important part of growing/staying strong in your faith.

daventry
19-01-07, 20:46
I am a Christian and i believe in God.

Bullethail
20-01-07, 11:38
Hey guys, I'd also like this thread to be used for discussion, so I'd like to ask: what bands does everyone like? At the moment, I'm listening to Salvador. :cool:

And I just know someone's gonna say, "who are they?" so here's a link. (http://www.salvadorlive.com/)