PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Histories - AoD2/3?

Rivendell
16-01-07, 22:57
:wve:

The story of Tomb Raider 6 was written by somebody called 'Murti Schofield'.

Some of you may remember a couple of weeks ago - James Kenny - concept artist of TR6 and Core's TR:AE coming on here and mentioning that we might like to check out a book that Murti Scholfield has just released this recent December called:

The The Empty Land - The First Volume of the Shadow Histories (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empty-Land-First-Shadow-Histories/dp/1846855497/sr=8-1/qid=1167666346/ref=sr_1_1/202-8594766-1244643?ie=UTF8&s=books)

- A brief discription:
Twelve year old Cody Conmar is unaware of her true destiny and nature. Her life in a quiet Cheshire village protects her from the forces which have raged in the shadows of human history for centuries. But the Aelim-Chameleon wars are about to erupt into her life sweeping her along in a conflict that will change her world forever. She must awaken to who she is and rediscover the extent of her astonishing abilities in order to master arcane weaponry, battle Orowghasts, Vil-kind, Bestials and the voracious Chameleon predators. If only she can find out who her true allies are.it may be possible to avert the coming of a second dark age to the recovering Isles of Britain.

So, we think - could this Shadow Histories series give us an insight into where the TR6 storyline was going? By simply thickening out the plot and changing names, Murti Schofield could easily have done it. We can already see similarities / adaptions concerning TR6 in the highlighted parts above.

But hmm... perhaps not.. maybe it's just a completely unrelated plot?

Let's just take a look at this though, written into the TR6 game more than 3 years ago -
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/637/shadowhistoriesxr8.jpg
^Found in Vasiley's vault.

Coincidence? Forplanning? :D

2kool4u
16-01-07, 22:59
umm huh im confused.

AmericanAssassin
16-01-07, 22:59
umm huh im confused.
Me too...

Catlantean
16-01-07, 23:01
Well, it's not unlikely that he was already working on the Shadow Histories back then and that it's more or an easter egg than a true connection...but still, I do intend to get the book :) Hints of AOD or not, it still sounds interesting.

Rivendell
16-01-07, 23:01
:confused: By what, exactly? (@ The two above Cat ;) )

2kool4u
16-01-07, 23:05
lemme see if i got it right. This topic is about an easter egg that was supposed to be about AoD 2?

Rivendell
16-01-07, 23:07
No, I'm saying that it's possible that the (thus far) unused plot of the rest of the Angel of Darkness could've been written into this series called Shadow Histories (mentioned in the game) written by the same person who wrote the AoD story.

Reggie
16-01-07, 23:15
Sounds interesting, let us know if you find out more :)

AmericanAssassin
16-01-07, 23:17
Now that I understand what's going on, it sounds interesting. I love a good theory!!! :D

Rivendell
16-01-07, 23:21
My copy should arrive in a few days, so I'll try and get stuck right in and outline any more parallels that I find :D

(I'll post them in this thread to save making new ones each time.)

MelikeLara
16-01-07, 23:26
you've become a really useful member on here riv! keep up the good work

AmericanAssassin
16-01-07, 23:27
I agree. You're definately the forum member I look up to the most! :D

Clara [CA]
16-01-07, 23:27
My copy should arrive in a few days, so I'll try and get stuck right in and outline any more parallels that I find :D
Mine too ! I can't wait to get my hands on that book :jmp:

Rivendell
16-01-07, 23:30

:o :hug: :D Means a lot, thanks :)

;1505431']Mine too ! I can't wait to get my hands on that book :jmp:

I'm quite excited, what really clenched it for me was seeing the words 'Shadow Histories' written in AoD itself about an hour ago, then it sort of clicked together with 'restricted information'. Must buy... Must read...Must discover secrets...

Clara [CA]
16-01-07, 23:45
'Shadow Histories' definitely reminded me of something, but I didn't know where I knew that expression from... Now that I know (and by the way OMG! how could I miss that), I'm sure it will take the investigation at least just a little bit further... :D

GodOfLight
17-01-07, 00:43
this is a great thread rivendell :tmb: im almost certain that the author will be be using some bits that should have been in AOD... i mean, the guy must be frustrated that he could never properly finish the epic game... so i think he would defenetly keep some bits and pieces that he liked and have them make their appearance in these books. and if you look the character described she doesnt sound too different from lara :)

lorien elf
17-01-07, 00:58
Thanks for the info, Rivendell. It's worth checking out. I missed something, when does it take place?

cococomics_pres
17-01-07, 01:15
I'm ordering my copy now! I was always so frustrated that there was no such website as shadowwhistories.pr when I played AOD and I just wondered when it would crop up! Great connection Rivendell!

aussie500
17-01-07, 01:18
Shadow histories were going to be part of the background to AOD that they were meant to put on the internet site, l could have sworn l got a transcript of the first (only?) one they put up, but it seems to have vanished :confused: Although the books might not give us anything on the AOD plot they would certainly give an insight into the Nephilim and Lux Veritatis, possibly even the formation of the Cabal. Unfortunately l have not had a chance to try and get the first book yet

Lior_K
17-01-07, 01:52
You could be right, maybe he did "re-write" the story and published it. But on the other hand the writer could simply write another fresh story with few inspirations of what he did for Core.

Alex Fly
17-01-07, 11:02
Wow ! That sounds really interesting ! Thanks for sharing Rivendell ! :tmb:

Clara [CA]
17-01-07, 11:50
I just got the book ! :yah:

Ada the Mental
17-01-07, 12:28
Lucky you!^^^^

I think too that he must have recycled the plot or that he was working on it while also working on the AoD script.
I really want to read the book...I guess that since it was released in December it'll out here in about three months....If it'll be out at all!:( But I might find a copy in English if I know where to look.:jmp: *crosses fingers*
Great observation about the Shadow Histories part Riv!:tmb:

Rivendell
17-01-07, 12:54
Lucky you Clara!! :D

Tell us if you can figure anything out! No major spoilers yet though, give it a day or two til I can read mine too :ton:

-DEBUG
17-01-07, 18:02
I knew "Shadow Histories" sounded familiar, good find Riv :tmb:

Bonez
17-01-07, 18:09
Woah very well spotted! :D

Pipolinne
17-01-07, 23:25
Now,you're arising my curiosity,Rivendell!

I think it's quite probable the author will use some ideas,even if cleverly disguised. It does not look like he was aiming this book for the same public he planned AOD and,obviously,we won't have a Lara Croft,but who knows if some nephilim look - alikes won't appear :D!

Ada,you may look HERE (http://www.amazon.co.uk/) , or just order it in some bookshop.

AmericanAssassin
18-01-07, 05:00
I think I'll order it soon. It sounds quite interesting! :D

Rivendell
18-01-07, 12:03
Woohoo! :D Mine just arrived too !

Lol - the dedication right at the start:

For the truest angel - enduring innocence

( :p I know, digging deep already huh? )

-DEBUG
18-01-07, 13:50
What a cool dedication :)

Jin Uzuki
19-01-07, 15:53
C'mon now, Riv. Spoil us! :jmp:

Alex Fly
19-01-07, 16:02
Yeah ! Tell us what's inside !! :)

Rivendell
19-01-07, 17:01
Lol ok ok, so far I'm up to chapter 5 and there hasn't been much.

2 things struck me as Tomb Raidery so far:

1 - a description of a sub sub character who hasn't really come into it yet:

Enwyn wore her hair in a pull-back pony tail and in black jeans, T-shirt, short sleeveless leather jacket and biker ankle boots looked more beautiful and self confident than anyone had any right to be.

Reminded me of Lara.

And another part was someone investigating a couple of trucks in a warehouse with 'things' inside them. Bodies, covered in some kind of thick black stony-tar.
I guess that bit wasn't too TRish - but I re-played the Sanitarium level the other day, and this bit reminded me of the truck drivers who brought the sleeper into the Strahov in a lorry. (Death in 5 tonnes of stone, or whatever it was) We don't know what the things in the tar are, but that they're a threat to national security and have been covered up. The people who found the lorries seemed to get so freaked out by what they found that they lost their voice in shock.

I'll keep you updated!

NightWish
19-01-07, 17:08
Thats so interesting! :tmb:

BTW: is there an email for murty? we can ask him some stuff :D

Rivendell
19-01-07, 17:22
http://www.shadowhistories.com (http://www.shadowhistories.com/index.html)

Contact Royd Tolkien. (?)

It's interesting.. If Tolkiens greatness continued to his grandson, and his grandson knows Murti - then this should turn out to be one hell of a good series!

I'm getting the feeling that the Murti guy might not live too far away from me too.
1. The book holds very Very accurate descriptions of the city 'Chester' - which is about 20 miles away from my house.
2. One of my friends who lives a couple of towns away claims that she used to be babysat by Royd Tolkien himself.

Hmm...

Alex Fly
19-01-07, 17:30
Thanks for sharing, Rivendell ! :tmb:

Blackmoor
19-01-07, 17:54
http://www.shadowhistories.com (http://www.shadowhistories.com/index.html)

Contact Royd Tolkien. (?)

I don't understand... Why is the contact Royd Tolkien, is this book written by Tolkien's grandson?? Is Murti Schofield a pseudonym? Or have they worked on this series together?

It does sound intriguing, but if it wasn't written by the AoD person, would it still be an interesting read Rivendell?

Rivendell
19-01-07, 17:59
That thought crossed my mind too. (Imagine that - if AoD was written by Tolkiens grandson. I hope it wasn't, otherwise I'd be 3 times as gutted the storyline was dropped!)

-Wait - Ah.

The publisher is REUEL which is one of Royd Tolkien's names - so that'd explain it.

Plus I'm hoping it'll be quite a good read - so far only 40 pages in it's pretty exciting :)

Blackmoor
19-01-07, 18:14
Imagine that - if AoD was written by Tolkiens grandson. That was my immediate excited thought too :D, but... sounds like he's just the publisher like you say.

Plus I'm hoping it'll be quite a good read - so far only 40 pages in it's pretty exciting :)Hmm, I may have to get a copy of this myself. :)

Rivendell
19-01-07, 18:22
I just sent an email through the website (for all the good it'll do!) asking about the TR6 storyline. Hopefully I'll get some sort of reply! :)

Laras Backpack
19-01-07, 18:25
Ooooo. Nice find. :tmb: :tmb: I might try for a copy.
It'd be great if Eidos let Murti Schofield finish the AOD trilogy in novel, or at least graphic novel, form. If marketed correctly it could do well. There's certainly a lot of interest here with regards to AOD's storyline.

Pipolinne
19-01-07, 23:29
Ooooo. Nice find. :tmb: :tmb: I might try for a copy.
It'd be great if Eidos let Murti Schofield finish the AOD trilogy in novel, or at least graphic novel, form. If marketed correctly it could do well. There's certainly a lot of interest here with regards to AOD's storyline.

Yes,it would be great,though a book needs a tad more plot :D!

I daresay the author can skip the authorization bit: just change the names and some locations and Eidos wouldn't have that much to be against to :D

Lara Croft!
19-01-07, 23:47

And don't forget he's handsome....

Interesting stuff there,Chris!!

Ada the Mental
20-01-07, 13:00
I'm getting the feeling that the Murti guy might not live too far away from me too.1. The book holds very Very accurate descriptions of the city 'Chester' - which is about 20 miles away from my house.
2. One of my friends who lives a couple of towns away claims that she used to be babysat by Royd Tolkien himself.
If I were you I'd been banging on his door right now!

(Imagine that - if AoD was written by Tolkiens grandson.
:yik: Well,if it was true...I'd kill myself(unless it was continued,in that case I wouldn't complain for anything for at least a decade!)