PDA

View Full Version : Glued To A Book! General Books Thread

Dazzy
19-01-07, 10:47
Before you try and joke, I'm not really glued to a book, if that were the case, it'll be a very sticky situation, get it, glued, sticky situation lol. Right joke over, anyway a few weeks ago, my Mum bought me this very large book which is called Doctor Who: The Inside Story. To be honest, I don't really read huge books with so many words in it, but this book I was eager to read from start to finish. So far I'm on page 180, and there are atleast 256 pages, so I'm getting closer. Probably the best part of my day recently, has to be sitting down in my bedroom at night, and having a read at this great book. This book includes every episode from Series 1 and 2, and sneaky peaks at Series 3. I recommend this book, so if your up for a challenge, read this, it's the definitve guide to Doctor Who.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/056348649X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Picture of the book.

star girl
19-01-07, 10:53
Not a doctor who fan... but 256 pages, I think they're short. I was glued to "The da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, the pages were well above 400... :)

clexy
19-01-07, 10:55
Not a doctor who fan... but 256 pages, I think they're short. I was glued to "The da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, the pages were well above 400... :)

lol i read up to 700 pages a day, havent read any books yet too bored.

star girl
19-01-07, 10:57
lol i read up to 700 pages a day, havent read any books yet too bored.

Lol, when I was in school, and whenever I borrowed a good, interesting book, I used to finish it the first day. Then I'd spend rest of the week, getting bored. :)

Anniversary Lara
19-01-07, 12:05
That's pretty cool for someone who usually doesn't like reading books ;)

Rivendell
19-01-07, 12:22
Nice one!

I think the only books I've ever been glued to have been: The Lord of the Rings FotR,TTT,RotK / Harry Potter 1-6, Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons :tmb:

Ada the Mental
19-01-07, 12:31
Well I'm always glued to some book.
I can finish them in no time and then regret it because I don't have anything else to read!
I just finished Paolini's Eldest,btw,and I don't have anything to read now....:(

star girl
19-01-07, 12:41
Nice one!

I think the only books I've ever been glued to have been: The Lord of the Rings FotR,TTT,RotK / Harry Potter 1-6, Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons :tmb:

Excellent choice!!! :tmb:

Angel666
19-01-07, 22:37
Angels and Demons was much better than the Davinci Code, IMHO.

jjbennett
19-01-07, 22:59
I would be glued to a book, if my sister would get my Christmas present she said she would, she keeps saying i'll get it you and then never does but sods law denotes if i buy it she will get it me the same day.

Oh yeah, its called Acts of Treason by Vince Flynn.

J.

Psyched
19-01-07, 23:24
Life of Pi by Yann Martel for me at the moment. It's written rather pretentiously but still grabs the attention.

star girl
20-01-07, 06:34
Angels and Demons was much better than the Davinci Code, IMHO.

Ohh... I really love both of them, can't decide which one's better :)

Fish.
20-01-07, 06:56
It's nice that you're taking a taste in literature. I'm glued to THIS book:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/Benhead_500/hatchet.jpg

Very good book, only about 250 pages, and best of all it's a series! :jmp:

Psyched
20-01-07, 08:01
Is that the book in which the kid gets lost in the wild with just a hatchet? If so, I read it years ago and it was really good.

Fish.
20-01-07, 08:14
Yeah Psyched, his name is Brian Robeson, he's 13 years old, and his plane crashed in the Canadian wilderness, and all he had was a hatchet.

Psyched
20-01-07, 08:30
That's the one. And the second and third take place back home or something along those lines. Good reads.

Greenkey2
20-01-07, 10:58
Dazzy, since your initial post seems to have attracted a lot of attention this would seem to be an excellent place to discuss all things book-related.

I've edited the thread title to reflect this. Glad you're enjoying your reading :tmb:

Alive_and_Funky
20-01-07, 11:08
Dazzy, since your initial post seems to have attracted a lot of attention this would seem to be an excellent place to discuss all things book-related.
:D

Glad you're enjoying your book, Dazzy. I don't read too much either since I struggle to find books which I like and there aren't any other Harry Potter books out there at the moment. :p
I've started reading Star Wars books though which I really enjoy, so I've started to read those. I got a Star Wars book for Christmas too.

Well, at the moment I'm not reading a Star Wars book, but instead another kind of book which I enjoy. A wrestling autobiography. I'm reading Have a Nice Day! by Mick Foley. I'm really into wrestling and I've read a few wrestling autobiographies before, and I had heard that this is supposed to be the best one, so I started to read it.
I'm really enjoying it so far. I love Mick Foley's humour and some of the stuff he and his friends got up to was hilarious. If Saved by the Bell was a late-night TV show, some of the stuff Mick got up to would probably be included. :vlol:

Xenomrph
20-01-07, 11:09
Currently reading: 'Predator: Forever Midnight' (as in, from the 'Predator' movie franchise). I'm about 50 pages in, and it's good stuff. :) The last Predator novel to come out was, like, in 1995 or so, so it's nice to see a new novel on the shelves.

On deck: 'Aliens: DNA War' (again, from the 'Alien' movie franchise).

star girl
20-01-07, 11:11
I'm reading a book based on the French Revolution: "Scarlet Pimpernal" Sounds good, but it's quite slow :(

Greenkey2
20-01-07, 11:15
I've slowed down my reading recently, mostly due to studying (bah humbug :rolleyes:). Currently reading:

* 'Cloud of Sparrows' (19th century Japanese fiction)
* 'Lords and Ladies' (a Discworld book, one of my favourites)
* 'World Building' (a guide to creating worlds etc in science fiction writing).

Lavinder
20-01-07, 11:17
At the moment i'm only reading comedy/fluff/angst type fanfics :)

BlackGrey
20-01-07, 11:33

Are you thinking of doing some more writing, Jenni? I really enjoyed your Angel Of Darkness fan fiction, I'd love to read more of your work. I'm currently reading the first in Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials triology, Northen Lights :wve: It's very good :D

Life of Pi by Yann Martel for me at the moment. It's written rather pretentiously but still grabs the attention.

Oh I loved this book! It's a very good read :tmb: Happy reading, it's got a very good ending :jmp:

Greenkey2
20-01-07, 15:51
Are you thinking of doing some more writing, Jenni? I really enjoyed your Angel Of Darkness fan fiction, I'd love to read more of your work.

Thanks BlackGrey :hug: Yes, I'm writing as much as my studying allows, which is of course not as much as I'd like :o At the moment I'm in the middle of a novel (part one of three) that I've had in the planning stages for years. It's a relief to be finally getting all this stuff down, and I'm making good - if slow - progress. No short stories or fanfiction currently on the go though :( :rolleyes:

I'm currently reading the first in Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials triology, Northen Lights :wve: It's very good :D
Oh I loved this book! It's a very good read :tmb: Happy reading, it's got a very good ending :jmp:

An excellent read :tmb: IMO this is way more than 'just a kids' book', and touches ground that normal authors keep at arms length for fear of their immortal editors. Pullman is a very brave writer in more ways than one. I cried at the ending of Amber Spyglass :(

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-01-07, 15:56
V For Vendetta, I'm reading the book based off the screenplay. Awesome awesome story!

Mytly
20-01-07, 17:19
Sounds interesting. Who's it by? I would love to get hold of it. Not that I intend to write any science fiction, but it would be interesting to read about it.

I'm currently reading the first in Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials triology, Northen Lights :wve: It's very good :D
An excellent read :tmb: IMO this is way more than 'just a kids' book', and touches ground that normal authors keep at arms length for fear of their immortal editors. Pullman is a very brave writer in more ways than one. I cried at the ending of Amber Spyglass :(
The Dark Materials trilogy is fantastic! :jmp: I love the second and third books in the series, but I found Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass) a bit tedious. I just barely got through it the first time, and had serious doubts about reading the sequels. I am very glad I did read them, of course! :D

cbragg09
20-01-07, 18:20
It took me about 2 days to read Stephenie Meyer's novel Twilight, and I was hooked! I love it!! Then I read the sequel, New Moon in one day. It has 563 pages o.O I was hooked as you can tell. I recommend them to everybody! :D

xMyrax
20-01-07, 18:35
Currently glued to Master Of The Game by Sidney Sheldon :D Such an amazing book!

Sofitegan
20-01-07, 18:48
I used to read a lot, but not so much any more. i finished my favourite book for the first time a few weeks ago- Pride and predjudice (sorry for sp, my spelling has fallen to pieces lately) by Jane austen.
im currently readin the secret garden. ive read this before but it was an abridged version, this is the proper one and its a very good book. :tmb:

V For Vendetta, I'm reading the book based off the screenplay. Awesome awesome story!

OMG theres a book? i have to read it! i loved the film :jmp:

Psyched
20-01-07, 18:51
Are you thinking of doing some more writing, Jenni? I really enjoyed your Angel Of Darkness fan fiction, I'd love to read more of your work. I'm currently reading the first in Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials triology, Northen Lights :wve: It's very good :D

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is as good as, if not better than, the LOTR trilogy for me. I read it aged 12, having become tired of Rowling's tendency to quantity over quality, but fully intend to read it again. It's definitely got some of the best characters, most evocative locations and events ever written, and, like Greenkey, I was very moved by the ending.

He was daring with it but in his own words to a bunch of religious dumbasses who hounded him for it, it's just fiction. Nor is it really a satire of anything (at least in my opinion - the world is too focused on parody and satire and no longer on just a good plot).

It's a book aimed at children but very adult in nature. It wouldn't be the same without a few deaths here or a few other tragedies here. I knew at the time that my parents enjoyed it also.

I'm delighted to see that they're making a film version (even if does star a girl named Dakota...) for release either this year or next.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the rest of Life of Pi... then perhaps I'll dig out Northern Lights again.

Greenkey2
20-01-07, 19:11
Sounds interesting. Who's it by? I would love to get hold of it. Not that I intend to write any science fiction, but it would be interesting to read about it.

It's by Stephen L. Gillett and Ben Bova :wve:

I didn't like the section about astrophysics though - too much maths! :pi: :(

Mytly
21-01-07, 16:02
Thanks, Greenkey! :wve:
Just added that to my "Books I want to read" list. :)

laracroft2122
21-01-07, 17:07
I am busy re-reading the updated version of Great Expectations :tmb:

Bullethail
21-01-07, 17:11
I really need a good book. The teen section at my local library sees to a) be mostly romances. (Ick) B) otherwise ghost stories. (Never liked those. Can't sleep after reading one.) Or c) swears far too much for me. I haven't read a book in months! :(

Jo269976
21-01-07, 18:10
I'm busy reading World War Z...a long read :D

Trigger_happy
21-01-07, 19:02
I'm busy reading World War Z...a long read :D

YAY- i want that book, or the Zombie survival guide. I have to say that my favourtie series of books are Sabirle, Lireal and Abhorsen by Garth Nix. I dont know why, but i love the way he writes and the descriptions bring it all to life.

Maybe we should start a book reading thing, where we take turns to say a book and then everyone has to try to read it, or at least part of it? Then we would all read things we wouldnt normally read.

FireStorm
21-01-07, 19:27
I Have Read A Shovel Load Of War Books, So Any Good War Book Has Me Glued.

:D :D :D

danitiwa
21-01-07, 19:49
I'm Glued to.... Molly Moon Stops The World... :pi:

Ada the Mental
22-01-07, 14:38
I'm waiting for a friend to finish Bram Stoker's Dracula (:jmp: :yah:) and in the meantime I'm re-reading (for the I've-lost-count-th time) the Hobbit!

danitiwa
22-01-07, 14:49
Kam, I saw you got the satanic bible from your friend? Mind lending it to me? I'm interested. :jmp: :cln: :D

star girl
22-01-07, 16:55
I really need a good book. The teen section at my local library sees to a) be mostly romances. (Ick) B) otherwise ghost stories. (Never liked those. Can't sleep after reading one.) Or c) swears far too much for me. I haven't read a book in months! :(

Try looking for good books some place else in your library, or is it only for teens ? :wve:

Angel666
22-01-07, 20:25
@Bullethail:

Oooh, I just finished two great books by Libba Bray. The first one is called "This Great and Terrible Beauty" and the second is "Rebel Angel's". There is a romance element but that's not the main plot.

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/greatbeauty/

EDIT: Heres the authors site:

http://libbabray.com/libbabooks.html