PDA

View Full Version : Att. cat lovers

Geck-o-Lizard
23-01-07, 00:16
I need your advice.

After summer, depending on whether I get into university, I'll be away from home living on my own while going to uni (the nearest of the three uni's I've applied to is still an hour and a half away from where I live just now, so I'd need to rent a flat near it).

Thing is, I REALLY want a cat. I've wanted a cat since our old cat died at the start of 2001. Last autumn my dad told me that for the first time since we lost Pookie, he was considering getting us another cat when spring came. He's gone back on his word now, as spring's approaching and the idea of having a cat begins to terrify him once more (he figures he'd end up looking after the cat by himself, as that's how it was last time... he seems to have conveniently ignored the fact I was only 10 when we lost our last cat, and I'm now 17, with 7 years' experience of looking after small pets by myself)

So I'm now thinking that once I settle in wherever I go to study, and providing I managed to find a pet-friendly landlord, I might get a cat of my own...

Is this idea really stupid or is it something for me to consider?

Titanium
23-01-07, 00:20
Its not a stupid idea, as long as you can look after the cat and the landlord doesnt mind you having one. There doesnt appear to be anything wrong. :)

Can I ask, why did you think the idea was stupid?

MiCkiZ88
23-01-07, 00:20
I dont see why you shouldnt get a cat :) I live in a small apartment with two kittens and they are alot easier to handle than a dog tbh. They can easily survive the time you are away from your home. though if you get it as a kitten.. be awere that your flat might not be in the same condition that you left it :D

bett
23-01-07, 00:21
it's not a stupid idea at all. a pet would be a great idea, especially if you are going to be living by yourself

i'd love to have a cat but there are several forces working against me including BoBo, my doggie (all he really wants to do is play with them but he doesn't realize what he's really doing), and my boyfriend who is deathly allergic. if i could, i'd have a russian blue cat and i'd name him Zen

Margoos
23-01-07, 00:23
if i were you would wait till youve been there a month or so to see how much free time your gonna have and how much the work load is of the course your doing, if you simply dont have time to look after a cat properly then id advise against it.

im not suggesting for one minute that you wont look after it properly cause as you've already said you've got 7 years experience of looking after small pets but if theres too much work and then the cat might feel a bit niglected and wont be getting the attention cats usually like.

thats what i would suggest to you anyway grace.

Geck-o-Lizard
23-01-07, 00:26
Margoos - yeah those are the main issues that worry me a little. I was thinking of probably waiting several months before making cat plans, so I'd have settled in myself before introducing an extra element of chaos. :p

Can I ask, why did you think the idea was stupid?

Because I don't know how much attention and care cats need to live merrily, and if a full-time student would be able to cope with whatever requirements there would be with a cat in tow. :o

Also something that concerns me is perhaps not being at home enough to keep the cat company. I know they're quite solitary beasts but they appreciate company and attention too, if our next door neighbour's cat wailing outside our back door for more stroking is anything to go by. :p

Titanium
23-01-07, 00:32
Because I don't know how much attention and care cats need to live merrily, and if a full-time student would be able to cope with whatever requirements there would be with a cat in tow. :o

Also something that concerns me is perhaps not being at home enough to keep the cat company. I know they're quite solitary beasts but they appreciate company and attention too, if our next door neighbour's cat wailing outside our back door for more stroking is anything to go by. :p

Well, some cats are more independent then others, I wouldnt reccomend getting a young cat or kitten since they would require alot of attention. My suggestion would be to look around for a slightly older cat. If you do adopt one, then maybe an animal sanctuary would be a good idea. They monitor cats often and may get an idea of which ones are better at being independent. :)

Thorir
23-01-07, 00:33
No, it´s not a stupid idea. :)

As long as you love your cat and put it first, you´ll be fine.

Just remember to put your cat first. If a landlord with a perfect apartment won´t accept pets, it´s not your perfect apartment.

Anubis_AF
23-01-07, 13:02
I totally support your decision. Cats add a bright joy to your life, I'd know since I've got three. So this would be a really nice idea.

Apofiss
23-01-07, 13:19
There are just few things to consider as not so fun; they (cats) eat a LOT till they reach about 6 - 9 months (they prefer fresh juicy meat <.<), they have constant needs to go outside; taking out your pet is another "-" unless you have a huge yard/garden so s/he can do it by him/herself... to make sure s/he is ok 24/7 and not being lost -_-. Plus all vaccination/s, sterilizations and what not, BUT it's all worth it :3

MiCkiZ88
23-01-07, 13:29
@Apofiss. I know about that. My two kittens are about 4 months old and they do eat ALOT! and I have to go and buy them those kitten meat packages all the time.. but thankfully those don't cost more than 4 euros here and have 12 ready meals for them. it last's about six days with these two and they also eat the kitten dry food.

about them going out.. I have yet to buy them those things that you put over them ( don't know what to call them :hea: ) but Im keeping them as inside cats. and only occasionally take them out.. so far they just like going to the balcony and viewing everything from there.

But if you only have one cat.. IT NEEDS to go out..

@Anubis: So true. I live alone and my two kittens have really helped me trhough rough times.. you give attention to them and they will double it and give it in return :hug:

Night Crawler
23-01-07, 14:01
This forum is obsessed with cats, from the title I thought this was gonna be some sort of official mod announcement.

"Dear members, due to the ridiculous amount of threads and pictures of cats that are posted here in General Chat, we have decided to put a stop to it, please, no more talk of cats"

One can dream. ;) More of a dog person myself!

Greenkey2
23-01-07, 14:45
Grace, I've replied to you via your request in the mod forum (sorry, looked there first instead of here :o).

Night Crawler :ton: ;) :hug:

Kamrusepas
23-01-07, 15:16
You know Geck-O, I'm in a sort of a similar situation myself. I really, really want a dog. I've been craving to have my very own little puppy probably since I first moved into my own apartment.

But I've decided that I'm gonna have to wait until I have a bigger apartment, more money and more time to take care of it. So now I just see my mom's dogs once a week and that'll have to suffice for now. Someday when I have a big house, I'm gonna get a dozen dogs :D

Geck-o-Lizard
23-01-07, 19:31
I'd most likely be looking for a cat that's at least a year old... as awsome and cute as kittens are, I don't think I'd be able to handle one, let alone two, especially with all the messy things that'll be lying around with me being an art student and all. Purple & blue kittens! :eek:

Btw. how simple is the matter of introducing a new cat to an existing one? Like if I have one moggie for a year then decide I want to give her a friend.

danitiwa
23-01-07, 19:37
Get a cat IF you have the right conditions, you can spend time with it, clean it, feed it, (I sound like a parent lol.) But if you can give it the care it deserves and there's no problem with it, I'd say yes! Cats rock, they purr so niceley! http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9533/kitty8rh.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Scottlee
23-01-07, 19:48
Just a friendly warning - private landlords can be real jerks when it comes to tenant ownership of any pet bigger than a goldfish. My current one (and my previous one) certainly wouldn't allow a cat. If you rent a shared house with other students you will also have to worry about they think about the idea, because some people can be funny about the smell of cat poo coming from the litter tray + all the cat hair lying around. Your best bet is with an agency-let property, but I'm not sure if that will be viable for you during your student years because they cost a bit more. I'm hoping to move into such a place later this year because I'd love to have cats too.

Good luck.

xcrushterx
23-01-07, 19:50
you could move in with jenni

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-01-07, 19:52
Scottlee's right about the landlords having issues with pets.. My cousin managed to hide her cat in her apartment from her ******* landlord for over 6 months. :vlol:

But seriously, you should get a cat! And Kam, you should get a dog! Getting a pet (besides just fish :p) was the best decision I've ever made, for real. They really are mans' best friend.

Geck-o-Lizard
23-01-07, 19:52
Just a friendly warning - private landlords can be real jerks when it comes to tenant ownership of any pet bigger than a goldfish. My current one (and my previous one) certainly wouldn't allow a cat. If you rent a shared house with other students you will also have to worry about they think about the idea, because some people can be funny about the smell of cat poo coming from the litter tray + all the cat hair lying around. Your best bet is with an agency-let property, but I'm not sure if that will be viable for you during your student years because they cost a bit more. I'm hoping to move into such a place later this year because I'd love to have cats too.

Good luck.

Yup, this is the main difficulty I see. :( I'd need to hunt around and base my preferences on whether the place is animal friendly or not. Chances are I'll need to find an animal-friendly one anyway because I'll need to take my rats with me. My parents will probably send the rats away for re-adoption if I don't take them along with me when I go. D:

Scottlee
23-01-07, 19:55
Scottlee's right about the landlords having issues with pets.. My cousin managed to hide her cat in her apartment from her ******* landlord for over 6 months. :vlol:

lol

Landlord "I've just come over for a routine inspection....Hey, where's that Miow-ing sound coming from?"

Cousin "Errr, that's my b/f. He likes to miow when he wants me to come back to bed. Look, we can just hurry this up?"

Geck-o-Lizard
23-01-07, 19:56
Omfg. :vlol: :vlol:

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-01-07, 19:58
lol

Landlord "I've just come over for a routine inspection....Hey, where's that Miow-ing sound coming from?"

Cousin "Errr, that's my b/f. He likes to miow when he wants me to come back to bed. Look, we can just hurry this up?"

:vlol: :vlol:

Yeah, it probably went something like that :whi:

Greenkey2
23-01-07, 20:02
I'd most likely be looking for a cat that's at least a year old... as awsome and cute as kittens are, I don't think I'd be able to handle one, let alone two, especially with all the messy things that'll be lying around with me being an art student and all. Purple & blue kittens! :eek:

:vlol: You could enter them in the Turner competition...dab paint on their fur, then get them to roll around (savaging catnip?) on a big sheet of paper. Call it "Confessions of a stoned moggy" :cln:

(please don't try this - it's bad enough when they get muddy paws and go wandering all over your nice clean bed :rolleyes:)

Btw. how simple is the matter of introducing a new cat to an existing one? Like if I have one moggie for a year then decide I want to give her a friend.

It's usually a pretty straightforward matter :wve:. As long as you're on hand to break up any fights (and praise a good, quiet exchange of sniffing, don't ask where) you should be fine :).

danitiwa
23-01-07, 20:46

But seriously, you should get a cat! And Kam, you should get a dog! Getting a pet (besides just fish :p) was the best decision I've ever made, for real. They really are mans' best friend.

Wait, I thought I saw a pic with Kam and a dog...Or maybe it wasn't her. Who knows, :P.

I want a tarantula! http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6923/cry6lx.gif (http://imageshack.us)

(please don't try this - it's bad enough when they get muddy paws and go wandering all over your nice clean bed :rolleyes:)

Yeah, Imagine a bed that was once white, POLICOLORED! :vlol: That cat would really ahem, Remodel your appartment/house! :vlol:

George Orr
24-01-07, 19:11
What we need more of are cats that can feed themselves.

RqvjKBjrPcA

[cat thinking]I don't.... like... the ugly beef ones...If... I... can just....get....the...fish-shaped one....YES!! got it![/cat thinking]