PDA

View Full Version : how lazy was core with this game?

ChrisJ_938
23-01-07, 05:07
well aside from the story i was wondering how lazy core was with modeling lara. the only lvl in chronicles that i felt was complete and a little bit tomb raider-ish was all of the ireland lvls. this is what i mean, in the rome lvls lara didnt have the holster straps on her legs (same as in tr4!!!)in the russia lvl she was missing her backpack strap and her belt, her holster and backpack were just glued to her, and in the vci lvls she had no holsters. and yet all of these things that she is missing in the actual game she had in the fmvs!!!!! this is what makes me so mad how core didnt take her seriously. i mean it wouldnt hurt just to add these LITTLE TINY THINGS right?

Ikas90
23-01-07, 05:24
Well, TR Chronicles was just something to keep you busy while waiting for TR Angel of Darkness.

In other words, TR Chronicles was pretty much just a cheap buck for Eidos :D :whi:

mau3genius
23-01-07, 05:29
i mean it wouldnt hurt just to add these LITTLE TINY THINGS right?
And certainly didn't hurt that they weren't present either.

Mad Tony
23-01-07, 06:17
People are always quick to blame core for everything.
But that doesn't matter seen as we've got the company who have turned Tomb Raider around and made it better than ever, and they couldn't possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

Tomb Raider Master
23-01-07, 10:45
I don't think Core was lazy at all with this game. On the contrary, they've done a great job!

Angelus
23-01-07, 10:56
I really do not think that Core were lazy with this game. it's one of my favourite TR games.

Supernova
23-01-07, 11:38
I remember reading an interview (I still have it somewhere) that the team working on TRC weren't so happy at first making another TR game. And they only had 9 months to complete the game.

Evilkipje
23-01-07, 11:44
true true. i blame eidos more for the things that went wrong with chronicles. though most of the problems were because of the time limit, it's still core's own fault for ruining pierre and larson. tssk.

the hooliganz
23-01-07, 12:50
it was quite lazy, did eidos rushed them too, i know core isn't like that

Hyper_Crazy
23-01-07, 15:54
I really do not think that Core were lazy with this game. it's one of my favourite TR games.

I hate Chronicles its my least favourite and I think Core where lazy with this game.

Mytly
23-01-07, 18:00
in the vci lvls she had no holsters.
In the VCI levels, she had only one gun which she carried on her back, so there was no need for holsters.
Anyway, I am glad she had no holsters in those levels, as they would have quite ruined the effect of that lovely skin-tight catsuit she was wearing. :cln:

LaraLover32
24-01-07, 00:13
well aside from the story i was wondering how lazy core was with modeling lara. the only lvl in chronicles that i felt was complete and a little bit tomb raider-ish was all of the ireland lvls. this is what i mean, in the rome lvls lara didnt have the holster straps on her legs (same as in tr4!!!)in the russia lvl she was missing her backpack strap and her belt, her holster and backpack were just glued to her, and in the vci lvls she had no holsters. and yet all of these things that she is missing in the actual game she had in the fmvs!!!!! this is what makes me so mad how core didnt take her seriously. i mean it wouldnt hurt just to add these LITTLE TINY THINGS right?

Can someone please post these pics...I don't recall this being like that.

Dmoney
24-01-07, 01:01
Chronicles is just a side game to keep people busy while AOD was being made:(

lorien elf
24-01-07, 04:14
I hate Chronicles its my least favourite and I think Core where lazy with this game.

Chronicles was my least favorite too, but I don't then take that as reason to call Core lazy. As Supernova said, if they only had nine months to get that game out, while they were working on TR:AOD, then I don't see how they could have accomplished the task of making a great game out of that one. They had one in the process and one that they'd only just released before they had to make another. Blame it on Eidos first. They were the publishers making money off of the franchise without actually having
to make the actual game, unless I'm mistaken on that one. :mad:

In the VCI levels, she had only one gun which she carried on her back, so there was no need for holsters.
Anyway, I am glad she had no holsters in those levels, as they would have quite ruined the effect of that lovely skin-tight catsuit she was wearing. :cln:

Heh, that's an interesting perspective on the issue of these "tiny things". I didn't care about the catsuit, but maybe didn't notice the lack of leg holsters either. Didnt matter so much, doesn't now at least.

Chronicles is just a side game to keep people busy while AOD was being made:(

Yep. Reason I didn't like it, just some levels thrown together, with the only thing connecting them being that they were episodes from Lara's past. Had their own stories, with Lara dealing with that demon in the end of the Ireland levels for instance, right? but not like a real TR in the sense that there was a greater objective (obtaining one artefact) throughout. Anyway, wasn't AOD's team bigger than it had ever been for the previous games (though not as big as Legend's, right?) so I wonder about the division of labor/tasks between the two. Must have been a hassle.

Mytly
24-01-07, 04:38
The way I see it, Chronicles isn't a particularly bad game in itself, but it's not a full TR on par with the first four. Unfortunately it was marketed as full game, instead of what it actually was, that is, a collection of bits and pieces put together to fill the gap in time and plot between TR4 and AoD.

Tyrannosaurus
24-01-07, 06:34
THey probably should have released it as an add-on or something. Maybe then the critics would have been less harsh. Still, I have slightly more sympathy forthis game as it doesn't try to be anything it's not.

paulwork
24-01-07, 07:18
I think they were rushed by Eido$h - like someone said, 9 months to design and get onto the shop shelves.

I suppose for the time they had to make it, it was an OK game, and sure there were a few new moves and things like the grappling hook etc... I liked not just Ireland, but also the Rome levels. But for me, TRC just didn't float my boat.

What is interesting about TRC is that after collecting all the secrets, when you see the special features, it really reflects the high hopes they had for AOD - very little of those AOD ideas actually made it into the game. BUT still too much emphasis on humans...

Supernova
24-01-07, 08:26
THey probably should have released it as an add-on or something. Maybe then the critics would have been less harsh. Still, I have slightly more sympathy forthis game as it doesn't try to be anything it's not.

I agree, TRC should have been a expansion pack/add on/director's cut to TRLR :)

ivannnnn
24-01-07, 09:28
People are always quick to blame core for everything.
But that doesn't matter seen as we've got the company who have turned Tomb Raider around and made it better than ever, and they couldn't possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

I agree Ben :tmb:

Maybe Core was forgot to fill that outfits or levels,and blamings were coming :tea:

Five By Five
26-01-07, 20:52
I totally think the opposite. I love this game, and next to Tomb Raider Numero Uno, this is my favorite game! Actually...I might like it a bit more than TR1...

Shark_Blade
03-02-07, 12:43
yes. I like the atmosphere in this game after we have too much pyramids and sand in TRLR :p It's a nice change

Lara Croft!
03-02-07, 13:01
I don't think Core was lazy.They had already AOD in mind and they had to explain before that what finally happened to Lara.And instead of having her climbimg the tomb she had fallen,they showed older adventures.The game was not simple or easy.It had beautiful levels,many cutscenes and a very charming script!

tizerist
03-02-07, 17:00
was chronicles not released as a full-price game?

then it must be judged alongside the previous 4 games, and not as a "stop-gap".
it falls a bit short unfortunately.

Dug
04-02-07, 02:46
was chronicles not released as a full-price game?

then it must be judged alongside the previous 4 games, and not as a "stop-gap".
it falls a bit short unfortunately.

Very good point :)

Supernova
04-02-07, 08:19
I don't think Core was lazy.They had already AOD in mind and they had to explain before that what finally happened to Lara.And instead of having her climbimg the tomb she had fallen,they showed older adventures.The game was not simple or easy.It had beautiful levels,many cutscenes and a very charming script!

Sorry to say this, but they didn't explain what happened with Lara in TRC or in AOD.

kryptonite23
07-02-07, 10:25
It is very obvious that TRC is very cheap, it has only few guns and the story is too boring.

April Reanna
07-02-07, 11:25
but some of the levels are interesting. Rome,submarine and VCI levels are my fave:tmb:

Sir Croft
07-02-07, 13:17
we neither know how Lara got out of that tomb ¬¬
I thought I was going to see Lara getting out of that tomb in the last FMV, but the only thing we see is Von Croy finding her backpack... Honestly, finding a bag doesn't mean she's alive!
Well, I like TR Chronicles, it's a nice game... (I love that catsuit!)
And it's staring Zip (though we can't see him, it's pretty cool)
But I don't like the Black Isle levels, they're quite boring (but following that weird light was fun ^^)

walk_man
07-02-07, 18:03
I think they did this with a laptop and with their feet up on a sofa. Fut loadsa random stories then released it. Money but did it get good reviews...

AfroLegend
08-02-07, 21:06
I don't think I ever played this one. Could someone give me a fair review of this game? I want to get opinion from people here because ppl in this forum's viewpoints all very reliable I think (varied too which is good). thanks :D

Lior_K
08-02-07, 21:09
I don't think I ever played this one. Could someone give me a fair review of this game? I want to get opinion from people here because ppl in this forum's viewpoints all very reliable I think (varied too which is good). thanks :D

Check this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=84025). :wve:

Sekhraider
03-03-07, 16:30
That is interesting, I just thought that given where she was, she didnt have certain things, but yea what Core thinking? :tea:

da tomb raider!
03-03-07, 18:04
I don't think Core Design were lazy with this (masterpiece :D ) Tomb Raider game. After all, they only had 9 months to complete it, and were also working on The Angel of Darkness. And comparing to Legend, which had 8 levels, 5 less than Chronicles, and took 2 and a half years to develop, it makes Core Design look even less lazy. :whi:

Hyper_Crazy
03-03-07, 18:07
They only had nine months to complete this masterpiece?

da tomb raider!
03-03-07, 18:12
They only had nine months to complete this masterpiece?

From my sources, and what I read, yes. I'll see if I can find anything...

Also according to this guy.

I remember reading an interview (I still have it somewhere) that the team working on TRC weren't so happy at first making another TR game. And they only had 9 months to complete the game.

Tombreaper
03-03-07, 20:35
Yes, I have to agree with da tomb raider, it's not a game developed by a lazy Core Design.
It's a very clever game, and much more challenging than Legend.
But okay, you can't compare Chronicles to the earlier Tomb Raider games;
maybe that's why some people think Chronicles is a rushed game or something, but it certainly isn't!

Angelus
03-03-07, 22:41
I finally replaced my old copy of Chronicles yesterday, and I've been playing it most of yesterday and today. Sure, the engine has only been slightly tweaked, and the graphics haven't improved much, but who cares? The game is so atmospheric! I can also explore around, without coming across any stupid invisible walls. And I've heard that Core Design only had 9 months to make this... masterpiece? Well I say Core Design deserves an enormous round of appluase.

beckerooz
06-03-07, 04:02
I remember reading a review where the punchline was "Stick a fork in Lara and call her done" or something like that.... lol. It made me laugh since the game did seem half-assed, although I did enjoy playing it a lot! :D

LaraLover32
06-03-07, 12:41
Can someone post some pics please?????????????????????

Supernova
06-03-07, 13:43
From my sources, and what I read, yes. I'll see if I can find anything...

Also according to this guy.

Yeah that's actually true, only 9 months I still have that article.

And even though I think they did a wonderul job with TRC you can cleary tell they didn't have much time, which is a shame, it doesn't even come close to TR 1-4.

Wools
07-03-07, 11:48
I dont think it has much to do with Core being lazy.

After Tomb Raider was complete Toby Gard left which certantly must of been a blow to the team, and all the features that were left at the design phase during TR were implemented for TR2.

The game remained the same except for some nifty technology for TR3 and a return to the original's formula was created for TR4. Tomb Raider 5 must of been a tall order for Core as it was the fifth Tomb Raider in five consecutive years using the same template the original laid out. All of their creative juices must of dried up and then they had another 9 months to pump out another one.

All in all Core dident have the time to re-invent the game due to Eidos insisting the game be made annually and that would cripple any creative project. Considering the high praise Tomb Raider is still regarded in then Core must of done something right and it's a real shame Eidos gave the liscence away. Still, Crystal Dynamics are brillant and they seem to be putting the series back on track.

Now it all depends if Eidos and SCI get greedy again...

clexy
07-03-07, 13:03
Actually everyone was hoping for a Tomb Raider (6) and since the fans where so demanding they ( Core) made Tomb Raider 5. Those minilevels or areas where made on purpose this short. Atleast thats what the press ( asin a Core interview) said when Tomb Raider Chronicles came out.

MisterCroft
07-03-07, 17:49
I think it was a bit lazy looking back, but then again, the game felt mainly like a gap filler anway, for the next game. It was too short and the game was looking out dated by then, even by those standards. It also didnt feel like a normal TR game from the way it was approached. In it you are basically playing Lara in the past tense, as Lara Croft's friends have gathered at her memorial service and are reminiscing about her past adventures, which you then play through. Perhaps an idea they got from when you had to play young Lara in the opening tutorial levels from Last Revelation's.

Possibly why its the most forgetable game in the series for me.

young Lara Croft
13-03-07, 08:25
i love Chronicles! 4 interesting stories of Lara's past, sometimes i get bored of playing a continuous adventure especially when i have to get through undesired parts. Of cours i have my favourite story and that one is Ireland! :D

queo_Lita
23-03-07, 01:56
I love it. It's my favourite Tomb Raider.
I think it was well put, a liiiiiittle bit short, but still a masterpiece since I find it the most various one. Just a humble opinion.

Gregori
23-03-07, 02:50
I dont think it has much to do with Core being lazy.

After Tomb Raider was complete Toby Gard left which certantly must of been a blow to the team

Not really, that guy is a ****ing hack who's only good idea was Lara, a complete fluke. Eversince he's washed back into the series, he's has helped royally to **** up her character and the game!

disneyprincess20
23-03-07, 11:13
Not really, that guy is a ****ing hack who's only good idea was Lara, a complete fluke. Eversince he's washed back into the series, he's has helped royally to **** up her character and the game!

Calm Gregori, Calm...

I kind of like Chronicles. It's kind of like a four sandwiches instead of a full three course meal. It amounts to the same, but done differently. I don't think they were lazy, just badgered into it. They did the best they could given the circumstances and they didn't do a bad job of it.

Gregori
23-03-07, 12:50
Calm Gregori, Calm...

I kind of like Chronicles. It's kind of like a four sandwiches instead of a full three course meal. It amounts to the same, but done differently. I don't think they were lazy, just badgered into it. They did the best they could given the circumstances and they didn't do a bad job of it.

This is a criticism of Core, they did the best they could with the time given under extreme pressure from Eidos. The Ireland levels where awesome and creepy in that game. Can't believe anyone would seriously pin all the success of TR on Toby Gard - sure he came up with the character, but the hard work of all the other staff at Core developed Lara and made one excellent game after another.

If Core had not made cnronicles the probably could have focused all their energy on making AOD an excellent game, released on time! It would have made sense to go directly from TR4 to AOD. The excellent work they did on TR4 would have influenced their design choices in AOD, and the transition between the games would have been more natural and fluid. This way Lara could explore the mystery of what happened to her after being trapped in the pyramid and the beginning of AOD.

queo_Lita
23-03-07, 20:36
It's not really a mystery I think. If you check the AOD section, I remember a thread about one of the language files (the English one). So basically they had the script of their full idea for TR AOD in it. They did had Lara's escape in mind. They even had a shaman help her and everything, but I guess it all got cut off eventually. I don't know why though? The thing with AOD is - it's shorter for PC than it is for PS2 and they cut a lot out of it. So you can't say they didn't have great ideas on mind. As far as I can recall people had found moves not used in it that are still there though. I'm getting the sense Core had great TR in mind (excluding Lara walking like a tank), but eventually things had to drop off.
Chronicles was a lot less expanded than usual sequent TRs tend to be (not to mention the limit on objects capabilities), BUT it was a good game.
They weren't lazy. Rushed. Not lazy.

Chaosreaper
24-03-07, 18:21
Well, TR Chronicles was just something to keep you busy while waiting for TR Angel of Darkness.

In other words, TR Chronicles was pretty much just a cheap buck for Eidos :D :whi:

agreed. Chronicles lacked so much...I'd rather them have not brought it out and made AOD a better game, cause I was severely dissapointed with that, and dissapointed with Chronicles too.

ben_the_joka
24-03-07, 19:23
core were not lazy. eidos pressuerd them into releasing a new game every year to keep the money flowing in. this is what damaged the franchise in my opinion

Izzie404
13-04-07, 04:09

It was an add-on....to TRLE :p;)

I think i got more out of trle than trc, lol...

maximum_123
24-04-07, 06:28
core were not lazy. eidos pressuerd them into releasing a new game every year to keep the money flowing in. this is what damaged the franchise in my opinion

I agree my point

whisperingdevil
25-04-07, 15:59
They should have made the storyline better.

tomblover
25-04-07, 17:42
TRC was a gap-filler. Much like the way a sweet but small piece of chewy candy fills the gap until the big bowl of candy comes.

Herbaman
27-04-07, 19:08

I have to agree with you right there.

TRC was an outstanding game, I myself never saw these small flaws. But the game had to be released on time to continue the process of having a game each year. I wouldn't see Core being lazy to fix those tiny things, I believe much of the gameplay was focused on rather then graphics and small bugs.

winstonsfridge
28-04-07, 21:35
I don't think core were lazy. This is probably my favorite. It was a relief to have a shorter game after the epic that was Revelation.

Jade_Dysphoria
02-05-07, 19:18
A longer game is a game worth the money, why have a game you can complete in a few short hours? it makes them... well... pointless, you finish when you feel you have only just started, and tomb raider chronicles was one of these. I think Core were going for a sort of 'looking back on an old friend' kind of view for lara, as no one public knew if she was going to live or not, or if core were killing her off. Many of my friends thought the last revelation WAS the last tomb raider, seeing as it had 'Last' in the name (many of my friends were incredibly stupid of course :P ) and i got to lol at them muchly when chronicles was announced.

Last i remember you do see lara climb out of the pyramid at the end of chronicles :S although that may be a random delusion of mine (which are quite common) and yes, sadly chronicles was rushed because eidos wanted more money and thought that the death of lara in tr4 would promote more sales for chronicles ('cos all the fans wanted to know what happened to her) but yes, it was put in a way similar to a funeral, many people standing around talking of the recently-deceased and their exploits. It was a farewell that in the end never happened (dunno if all that makes sense but that's just how i see it O.o)

tizerist
02-05-07, 19:57
Last i remember you do see lara climb out of the pyramid at the end of chronicles :S although that may be a random delusion of mine (which are quite common) )
she didn't climb out at the end.
Von Croy merely found her backpack and said "we've found her".

whether he meant he had simply found an area she had recently passed through, i don't know.