PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play guitar?

amitabha
26-01-07, 00:38
Since I have a rather crappy electric guitar, I was wondering if changing the pick ups and the bridge would improve the sound. The reason I ask is because I hoping I don't have to buy a whole new guitar.

LaraMan2
26-01-07, 00:47
Yes i ply 8 instruments and it should work

amitabha
26-01-07, 01:46
have you ever replaced your bridge/pick ups on your guitar?

angelika
26-01-07, 06:57
My parents made me learn classic guitar when I was 10.
I was really good but I dropped out 3 years later

Jacob x5
26-01-07, 07:11
My parents made me learn classic guitar when I was 10.
I was really good but I dropped out 3 years later

It's ridiculous that parents make their kids learn instruments.

kryptonite23
26-01-07, 11:17
Yes, of course, I did it on my guitar.

amitabha
26-01-07, 19:35
Yes, of course, I did it on my guitar.

what? Change the bridge/pickups? Does it really make a difference? I use a crappy sammick eletric, it sure is a pretty guitar though.

rika2
26-01-07, 20:15
what? Change the bridge/pickups? Does it really make a difference? I use a crappy sammick eletric, it sure is a pretty guitar though.

well what sound are you striving for? from my expertise here's the commonly used ones:

Blues/Jazz - Basic single-coil ones, generally the ones that come with the guitar do

Rock/Modern Pop-Rock - A single-coil EMG up by the fretboard and a humbucker of any kind down by the bridge

Trance/Hip Hop - Hmm, normally you'd use some Dunlop or EMG single-coil and a distortion pedal to do the normal sound

Metal - B.C. Rich humbuckers, only

Margoos
27-01-07, 11:42
i would get a new guitar, its all good changing pickups and your bridge but if you have a terrible body wood, then its just pointless.

people dont oftern realise that this is one of the biggest factors in the sound of your guitar, if its a cheap guitar then it will most likley have poplar or agathis wood which to be honest isnt cracking and putting new pickups in wont have as much an effect if say you put them in a guitar with a good body wood like ash or maple.

id advise you save up and get a decent guitar, the more you pay for a guitar the better it will be, same with most things really and if you get a good enough gauitar you wont need to change the pickups and the bridge.

out of interest what pickups did you have in mind?

and what sort of music you going to be playing?

Waylander
27-01-07, 11:48
I bought myself a guitar a few years ago and tried learning. I friend of mine who plays in a band gave me a few lessons but I hard a hard time picking it up. I can play the first few seconds of "Come as you are" by Nirvana but thats about it :D

pinklaralover
27-01-07, 12:20
Well, i have one, i had one for x-mas just pasted. It's pink, but i cant play it really. :o

Phlip
27-01-07, 12:22
my brother plays the ps look at the 'your pets' thread guitar, it's right next to me.

Hurrah4Lara
27-01-07, 21:24
well what sound are you striving for? from my expertise here's the commonly used ones:

Blues/Jazz - Basic single-coil ones, generally the ones that come with the guitar do

I don't:o - but my friend Yasmeen plays at near Pro level:cool: (she has declined 2 well-known ones) and says this is right - it is the clear sound one associates with blues etc.

If you can, Margoos^^ is right about upgrading though.

H4L:wve:

Mary CF
28-01-07, 00:10
No, but I can play the first 10 chords or something of "Otherside" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers! Yay!

Yunas Wish
28-01-07, 01:06
No, Im quite a clumsy musician :p I cant deal with any instrument.

CerebralAssassin
28-01-07, 02:00
I'm falling in love with this instrument again..I'm gonna start playing again:p

any tips?:tea:

in these arms
28-01-07, 09:10
My dad is quite good.

danitiwa
28-01-07, 09:48
I'm gonna take electric Guitar lessons. :whi:

Margoos
28-01-07, 16:23
learn the bass, its awesome :D or learn both, playing both has its advantages.

CuteKittenlol
28-01-07, 16:28
I've always wanted to play the guitar.
I might take up lesson's within the next few years. :D

jjbennett
28-01-07, 16:33
I play classical and blues. Blues is easily my favourite music though, i like any of it!

Yes changing the pickups will change the sound but first tell us what guitar it is you have then i can tell you if its worth it.

J.

amitabha
28-01-07, 23:57
out of interest what pickups did you have in mind?

and what sort of music you going to be playing?

I'm not quite sure what I want to buy in terms of pickups. This is what my guitar has at the moment:

* Single cutaway
* Bound flat top
* Maple bolt-on neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* Die cast tuners
* Stop tailpiece
* Adjustable bridge
* HH pickups

I'm not sure what to upgrade.

Margoos
30-01-07, 10:04
I'm not quite sure what I want to buy in terms of pickups. This is what my guitar has at the moment:

* Single cutaway
* Bound flat top
* Maple bolt-on neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* Die cast tuners
* Stop tailpiece
* Adjustable bridge
* HH pickups

I'm not sure what to upgrade.

have you got a picture and a model mumber or make? and ill look it up and tell you if its worth it or not

raiderfun
30-01-07, 10:11
I was playing the guitar , but i stopped because it was really hard :p