PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to get an Xbox360.

dream raider
05-02-07, 14:00
It looks really good but is it better than upgrading my PC? What more can I benefit from it if I don't upgrade my PC and I buy the Xbox360? I'm really a PC fan and this will be my possible future and first console. What interested me was the graphics and the price, the games I play are Tomb Raider and sims so basically by buying this console it will be for playing future tomb raider games. What are it's stunning features and why is it so great?:)

irjudd
05-02-07, 14:35
Well, if you have the cash to burn, I say to upgrade your PC as the PC will soon and will always surpass the consoles in graphics pumping power.
If however you are on a budget, a console is easier, as you are gauranteed that all games released for it will run and not worry about needing to buy a new video card.

I also enjoy a console over a PC because I like laying back on the couch with my surround sound pumping all around me. :D

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=85365 for reading on 360 VS. PS3 is interesting too.

Legend of Lara
05-02-07, 14:40
Upgrade your PC. Seriously, not kidding. XBox 360 is overrated. I'm not saying this because I prefer Sony and Nintendo, I'm saying this because it's the truth!

Alex Fly
05-02-07, 14:41
I agree with them, don't buy a console !

dream raider
05-02-07, 14:43
Okay I'm convinced:)

irjudd
05-02-07, 14:45
Yeah if you're already a PC gaming fan, and you have the means to upgrade... do that. But just make sure its a worthy upgrade. Remember that PC gaming is the more expensive option in the long run if you want to really make it worthwhile.

dream raider
05-02-07, 14:50
Even though it's expensive to upgrade... Everything in it's time.

interstellardave
05-02-07, 16:23
I sent a more detailed reply to you Inbox...

irjudd makes good points pro and con; as for me, I say 360. If you have a HDTV (which you will probably eventually want if you don't have one now) then gaming on the 360 is quite an experience. You will get some great games that won't make it the PC too (although many do).

Also, PC's eventually surpass the raw power of consoles, but the results of that are not always evident. People look at the few games that are truly stunning and say "PC is obviously better". First your PC may never be that good, and even if it is most games won't utilize that power. Developers have not come close to maximizing the 360 yet--games will be better and better for years to come, as with all consoles. PC games are more often "dumbed down" to fit a lower common denominator...

Mad Tony
05-02-07, 16:24
Upgrade your PC. Seriously, not kidding. XBox 360 is overrated. I'm not saying this because I prefer Sony and Nintendo, I'm saying this because it's the truth!
Look, we know you only said that because you're obsessed with Sony and hate Microsoft for no reason.
If you don't have a rational suggestion, don't suggest anything.

Legend of Lara
05-02-07, 16:26
Look, we know you only said that because you're obsessed with Sony and hate Microsoft for no reason.
If you don't have a rational suggestion, don't suggest anything.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Mad Tony
05-02-07, 16:38
If you don't have anything non-biased to say, don't say it at all. ;)

dream raider
05-02-07, 16:48

I'm sorry to say this but I have to agree with Mad Tony, no offence and thanks for suggesting.

Lew
05-02-07, 18:30

Urgh you and your Sony! Surprised you didn't say anything else.... and Xbox 360 has Direct X 10 and runs as smooth as anything!

DMC
05-02-07, 18:49

I agree.And Tony no bashing,even if he doesn't like Microsoft,it's still his opinion.Now,Besides the two,upgrade the PC.I have the Xbox360 and it's perfectly wonderful!!!!Worth every penny!But between those two,upgrade.

Mad Tony
05-02-07, 18:51
Ok Tony no bashing,even if he doesn't like Microsoft,it's still his opinion.Now,Besides the two,upgrade the PC.I have the Xbox360 and it's perfectly wonderful!!!!Worth every penny!But between those two,upgrade.
I'm not the one bashing here.

@Lew: Well said. :tmb:

RedTyga
05-02-07, 18:51
Look, it all depends on the games you like to play. If PC suits that just fine then stick with the PC.

DMC
05-02-07, 18:58
I'm not the one bashing here.

@Lew: Well said. :tmb:

I know,but it was a kinda harsh sentence

Xenomrph
05-02-07, 19:42
I'll name a few reasons to get a 360:

- Gears of War (YOU WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME)
- Crackdown (out at the end of the month. The demo is amazing)
- Dead Rising
- Saint's Row
- the 3 Burger King games (seriously, they're hilarious)
- Halo3
- Rainbow Six: Vegas
- Crimson Skies (Xbox game, but backwards compatible)
- Alan Wake
- Xbox Live Arcade (including Assault Heroes, UNO, Heavy Weapon, Geometry Wars, Texas Hold 'Em, and dozens of other games)
- Condemned
- Rockstar Games Presents: Table Tennis

And Mad Tony, you ARE bashing, if you're saying "360 is overrated and that's the TRUTH" (...which it isn't. I just rattled off about a dozen reasons why it's not).

Lew
05-02-07, 19:44
I agree.And Tony no bashing,even if he doesn't like Microsoft,it's still his opinion.Now,Besides the two,upgrade the PC.I have the Xbox360 and it's perfectly wonderful!!!!Worth every penny!But between those two,upgrade.

I don't like Microsoft, prefer Apple over Microsoft anytime but hey! I still love Xbox 360 more! :) Its about the exclusives and Xbox Live really.

irjudd
05-02-07, 20:05
Urgh you and your Sony! Surprised you didn't say anything else.... and Xbox 360 has Direct X 10 and runs as smooth as anything!

According to ATI:
"Following recent rumours about the 360ís ability to run Directx 10 after some software adjustments, ATI have decided to set the record straight. The graphics company have officially stated that the Xbox 360 will not be able to run the DirectX software regardless of any software modifications bt it may be able to replicate some of its graphical abilities."

AmericanAssassin
05-02-07, 20:11
The Xbox 360 has amazing graphics, Tomb Raider: Legend (in next gen!), a great online program, a great gaming choice, and only costs $400. What's not to like?

Lew
05-02-07, 20:21
According to ATI:
"Following recent rumours about the 360ís ability to run Directx 10 after some software adjustments, ATI have decided to set the record straight. The graphics company have officially stated that the Xbox 360 will not be able to run the DirectX software regardless of any software modifications bt it may be able to replicate some of its graphical abilities."

Look at Gears of War then.

irjudd
05-02-07, 20:36
I'm looking at GoW.

Currently only the GeForce 8800 can run DirectX 10. ATI's Xenos GPU is not running DirectX 10.

Lew
05-02-07, 20:39
I'm looking at GoW.

Currently only the GeForce 8800 can run DirectX 10. ATI's Xenos GPU is not running DirectX 10.

Gears of War uses Direct X 10, the first game to.

irjudd
05-02-07, 20:57
Company of Heroes will be the first (with a patch) to have DirectX 10 features, and Crysis will be the first game to be built for DirectX 10.

Gears of War is not available on PC. Nvidia Geforce 8800 is the only GPU currently capable of running DirectX 10. Xbox 360 does not have a Geforce 8800 in it. It has an ATI card which they called Xenos, or C1. Therefore, how could GoW possibly be the first game to be running on DirectX 10?

azumi_mm
06-02-07, 02:12
a great gaming choice, and only costs $400. What's not to like?

I get it for 99 EURO :P

dream raider
06-02-07, 13:49
So does Xbox360 support DirectX10?

Lara Lover
06-02-07, 15:59
I've just got my Xbox 360 in Christmas and I have to say even though its not a PS3, it's fantastic. Graphics are awesome, games are fantastic, everything is good. I love the whole acheivements system, It has you to play more games because of it. :p

I say go for it. :tmb:

irjudd
06-02-07, 16:09
So does Xbox360 support DirectX10?

No. It does not. It is not running the same DirectX you find in a PC. If you had to compare it, it is actually closer to a modified version of DirectX 9.

Laras Pistols
06-02-07, 16:42
It looks really good but is it better than upgrading my PC? What more can I benefit from it if I don't upgrade my PC and I buy the Xbox360? I'm really a PC fan and this will be my possible future and first console. What interested me was the graphics and the price, the games I play are Tomb Raider and sims so basically by buying this console it will be for playing future tomb raider games. What are it's stunning features and why is it so great?:)

dont buy a X-box upgrade thee computer its calling you to do it :D

interstellardave
06-02-07, 17:25
No. It does not. It is not running the same DirectX you find in a PC. If you had to compare it, it is actually closer to a modified version of DirectX 9.

Still not a big deal, because the Xbox 360 does support kick-ass games! :p

irjudd
06-02-07, 18:03
That it does! But it doesn't hurt to have your facts straight :D

AmericanAssassin
06-02-07, 18:49
More reasons:
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
F.E.A.R.
Gears of War (360 Exclusive)
and
(Some would say, but not me) Halo 3

Xenomrph
06-02-07, 19:57
More reasons:
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
F.E.A.R.
Gears of War (360 Exclusive)
and
(Some would say, but not me) Halo 3
I'd have mentioned those in my post (well, I did mention Halo3 and Gears of War), but they're not Xbox/Xbox360 exclusives. :o

Angel666
06-02-07, 22:34
I've been thinking of saving up for a 360. Is it backwards compatible?

Xenomrph
07-02-07, 01:33
I've been thinking of saving up for a 360. Is it backwards compatible?
Somewhat. Not all Xbox games work on the 360, but a lot do. This website (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm) talks about backwards-compatability, and this website (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm) has a list of all the games which are backwards-compatible. They add to the list once every couple of months.

Kiss-Bite
07-02-07, 13:12
I'm sure Xbox360 is great, I've always owned a Playstation but I've come close to buying an Xbox360. I will buy a PS3, one reason being is that Final Fantasy XIII will only be on the PS3. I think it's safe to say that future next gen TR games will be available on both systems.:)

Tomb Raider Jay
07-02-07, 19:17
BLUE DRAGON!

I'm really excited about this next gen RPG, it's had some fantastic reviews and I can't wait to see on my 360!
If there's one game tempting anyone to get a 360 it should be Blue Dragon, the first real Japanese RPG on Xbox 360, created by ex Final Fantasy - boy were Square Enix stupid to let this guy go :rolleyes: - producer Hinrobo Sakakuchi and his MISTWALKER studios.

Other than BD I'd say the graphics are something to buy the 360 for, even in standard def - I'm getting a HDTV soon! the games look awesome, bright colours, amazing detail and stunning panoramic views - and to top it all off the games look better than PS3 games :D

You can listen to music while playing games on the 360 and download new content for games, trailers and custom backgrounds for the 360 dashboard - all fun features! :)

Need more convincing, good because the console also sounds amazing too - with Dolby Surround sound the games are just amazing, bullets fly past your head in CoD 2 and Perfect Dark Zero, the weapons whoosh through the air and clash together in Oblivion and you can even hear Kameo's wings fluttering while exploring the Enchanted Kingdom! - Awesome! :D

All in all the Xbox 360 is the only Next Generation Machine anyone needs to own - and the PS3 well...it's a nice DVD player :tea:

RedTyga
07-02-07, 19:20
Someone mentions RPG and 360 in the same sentance then you force me to mention Mass Effect. I. Cannot. Wait. For. That. Game.

walk_man
07-02-07, 19:23
Tomb Raider 8, 9 etc...