PDA

View Full Version : British rap = 100% utter crap

illuminati30
06-02-07, 17:36
Seriously, across the water they must laugh at Brittish attempts at rap music. It is like a long drawn out bad edition of Eastenders.

This guy is all the rage at the moment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K72tfYdYROo

And do not mention the streets!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZSx3sUSUFxM

Its all about pretending to be from the streets, even though they are not! Even when its not rap. Apparently Lilly Allen comes from an upper glass back ground pretending to be from the streets!

viper456
06-02-07, 17:39
MOST rap, no matter where its from is crap any way. Theres very few decent rappers otu there

jjbennett
06-02-07, 17:42
I beg to differ, all rap is crap.

J.

illuminati30
06-02-07, 17:43
MOST rap, no matter where its from is crap any way. Theres very few decent rappers otu there

True, but not always, i like Missy, Ja Rule, and LL Cool J. It has grown on me over the years.

illuminati30
06-02-07, 17:48

J.

Hmm i may not be totally mad about it (Rap), because you don't really hear it on radio stations as much here as you do in the states, but i still respect it for what it is, and that everyone likes different things, so i would never say it was all crap, but this British stuff is laughable.

Bullethail
06-02-07, 17:51
I really must say, I don't think that's limited to Britain...

interstellardave
06-02-07, 17:53

J.

Boy, you beat me to it! :D

Ward Dragon
06-02-07, 17:54

J.

Seconded :tmb:

illuminati30
06-02-07, 17:56
Oh come on, there must be some of you who like rap! No need to slate it because it's not your thing, and sometimes it has a good message, sometimes it has attitude, and its bloody hard to to, if you ever tried to do it!

Bullethail
06-02-07, 17:57
Oh come on, there must be some of you who like rap! No need to slate it because it's not your thing, and sometimes it has a good message, sometimes it has attitude, and its bloody hard to to, if you ever tried to do it!

Yes, it takes talent, but I really, truly don't like rap.

April Reanna
06-02-07, 18:07
No, don't like rap much.:o

Lenochka
06-02-07, 18:07
Rap doesnt bug me :)
I mean a little every once in a while is nice
I guess i'm just open minded about almost everything, So many people i know hate it... xD

cbragg09
06-02-07, 18:12
I hate rap...British, American, any form of it....I just really dont like it

irjudd
06-02-07, 18:15
I hate it. But not in all forms. Its the "I'm a gansta' yo" kind of rap I hate.

walk_man
06-02-07, 18:17
Thats not true! Busta Rhymes wants to work with somwun over here. But I suppose its a matter of intrests. I find all country americans crap...

jjbennett
06-02-07, 18:20
I fully understand that everyone is entitled to their own musical tastes and opinions, some people i meet don't know why i like blues and rock. Its all down to prefernences and what you like.

Its my opinion that rap is not music, that doesn't make it fact ;) Thats not so say however i hate people who listen to it, its just their choice (to poison their ears)

J.

Jacob x5
06-02-07, 18:49
I agree with jjbennett that rap is not music. ;)

_Mica_
06-02-07, 18:55

Definitely agree. :D

Evilkipje
06-02-07, 19:05
I really must say, I don't think that's limited to Britain...

pick me pick me! dutch rap is hilariously bad! the lyrics are either very wannabe deep and moralistic or totally wrong and devoid of any substance :P

sam_raider_05
06-02-07, 19:13
I like some rap, when theres only a bit of it in a song - eg. Jay Z in Crazy in Love with Beyoncé - but English rap makes me cringe. They're all ludicrously chavvy and ugly but think they're gorgeous celebrities!

Laras Backpack
06-02-07, 19:17
I don't begrudge anyone their taste in music but I hate most modern, popular rap music. :hea:
As for British rap, and I say this as a Brit, it's appalling. I really HATE 'The Streets'. His music sounds like second rate beat poetry read out by an eight year old. And Lilly Allen can get lost too! I'm sick of these no talent losers being given instant credibility just because they speak with a cockney accent and come from (or at least claim to come from) the inner cities. I can't believe some people think of them as ambassadors for East London culture. As a Londoner myself I'm insulted by that.

Night Crawler
06-02-07, 19:23

J.Did you rap that? :D

I agree.

Rappers look so serious when they're rapping, but it just sounds really silly, it's laughable.

Mona Sax
06-02-07, 19:26
Its my opinion that rap is not music, that doesn't make it fact ;) Thats not so say however i hate people who listen to it, its just their choice (to poison their ears)
I totally agree. All you rappers out there, learn to play an instrument and get some singing lessons. :ton:

The first time I heard a rap song (a Love Is A Battlefield cover) I kept thinking 'WTF?! Stop talking over the music, you idiot!' :p

george_croft
06-02-07, 19:29
^ ^ Well, its quite obvious you people haven't heard Missy:rolleyes:

Laras Backpack
06-02-07, 19:34
Oh I just remembered! Have any of you seen that R. Kelly Hip Hop Opera? :D
He wrote an entire rap opera about a man who finds out his wife is having an affair with a midget who hides under their sink. I swear to you I'm not kidding! R. Kelly raps all the dialogue and the actors take it so seriously. It is so utterly appalling!
The dialogue goes a little like this:
'Then the husband saw a cherry cake on the counter and things got scary, because his wife doesn't like cherrys!! And now she's standing infront of the sink and he tells her to 'Move', she says 'no', he says 'move', she say's 'no', he says '***** MOVE', SHE MOVES! And then he goes to open cupboard, he's opening the cupboard, and now it gets really scary and I have to pause it cause you won't believe me but in the cupboard he found a midget....a midget...a miget...'

I swear I almost died laughing! :vlol: :vlol:

EDIT: I just found it on youtube!! Warning- there is a little bit of strong language.

4SlQtE_j5GA&mode=related&search=

Mad Tony
06-02-07, 19:49
^ ^ Well, its quite obvious you people haven't heard Missy:rolleyes:
I have.
As many others have said, I hate all rap.
But British rap is exceptionally crap IMO.

interstellardave
06-02-07, 19:58
I have.
As many others have said, I hate all rap.
But British rap is exceptionally crap IMO.

LOL! That's kind of a rap right there... :p

Mad Tony
06-02-07, 19:59
LOL! That's kind of a rap right there... :p
Really?
And how would you know that? :p

I actually like some of the 90s gangster rap they have on GTA San Andreas. :p

Paperdoll
06-02-07, 20:09
He wrote an entire rap opera about a man who finds out his wife is having an affair with a midget who hides under their sink. I swear to you I'm not kidding! R. Kelly raps all the dialogue and the actors take it so seriously. It is so utterly appalling!
'Then the husband saw a cherry cake on the counter and things got scary, because his wife doesn't like cherrys!! And now she's standing infront of the sink and he tells her to 'Move', she says 'no', he says 'move', she say's 'no', he says '***** MOVE', SHE MOVES! And then he goes to open cupboard, he's opening the cupboard, and now it gets really scary and I have to pause it cause you won't believe me but in the cupboard he found a midget....a midget...a miget...'

EDIT: I just found it on youtube!! Warning- there is a little bit of strong language.

Oh god that... I watched everything a while ago and it's the funniest thing I've ever watched, period :vlol: the story starts out as your regular soap opera and it just goes to the midget point that was called Big Man or something due to his attributes and then the wife cheating with the cop, the friend's wife cheating with the husband and then and then :vlol: :vlol: awesome XD

And on-topic, no I don't like rap, I hate rap but I don't go as far as saying that it's all crap. Surely there must be something good (to whoever likes it) underneath all the trash you see, it's like every genre, not everything is genious.

Angelus
06-02-07, 21:25
All rap is 100% crap. Can't sing? Just learn to talk fast to the same repetitive beat. ;)

Angelus
06-02-07, 21:30

LMFAO! :vlol: That is the best video I have EVER seen in my entire life! :vlol: Move! She says no! Move! She says no! LMFAO! :vlol: Funniest thing EVER. He's just describing the situation! :vlol:

Hybrid Soldier
06-02-07, 21:32

J.

You forgot to add, "in your opinion". There are people who actually listen to it. You can't call it crap because you don't like it.

Hey, i myself don't like it, but i can't say it's crap.

I prefer more of this:

-xSSrrC7a4A

tweetygwee
06-02-07, 21:40
Well, rap I suppose is a talent, but the culture that comes with it is bad. It's also used as a lazy excuse for music, and has a crowd of ignorant sheep that just follow it because somehow it's "fashionable".:mad:

lorien elf
07-02-07, 01:17

Very little of it that I ever hear ever has a good message (course, that could be the complaint of pop music too, I hate that as well). Heh, and Ja Rule? I heard one of his songs once, a family member was listening to it, and I couldn't help but be disgusted: he mentioned necrophilia like it was cool to be a "gangsta" and *Mature* mod will prob edit it: got blood on my dick 'cause I ****ed a corpse? Heh, maybe I should have listened to it more, to get the point, lol.

Rappers look so serious when they're rapping, but it just sounds really silly, it's laughable.

Heh, these guys really do come from bad backgrounds but with all the money they're making (by talking about their bad lives, whatever), I wonder how they can't see that it's silly to still look like that and pretend to be all tough. I dont like the videos.

The first time I heard a rap song (a Love Is A Battlefield cover) I kept thinking 'WTF?! Stop talking over the music, you idiot!' :p

Heh, that's how I used to see it before, still kinda do.

All rap is 100% crap. Can't sing? Just learn to talk fast to the same repetitive beat. ;)

^true.

viper456
07-02-07, 01:26
PROOF!

xv-2XYOtgCg

i was at a free music festival a few years back, and thee appeared on the stage before they were "famous" and they were all in bright tracksuits...i was just sat on the grass staring with my mouth open in disbelief lmao!

ilie_ fusarau
07-02-07, 04:57
Guess that rap is appreciated like manele in my country .

AmericanAssassin
07-02-07, 05:10
For the most part, I like rap. I think it's rude to say that only British rap is crap. It doesn't matter what country you're from.

RedTyga
07-02-07, 06:02
I prefer concious rap ... real hiphop if you will.

WARNING, SOME VIDEOS MAY CONTAIN LANGUAGE YOU DON'T LIKE:

But I'm talking about HipHop like The Roots who actually use instruments:
TmwxKVFVx0M

Something like Mos Def who is an awesome poet:
_lPtzVAb9IA

Something like the legendary 2Pac:
HfXwmDGJAB8

Something Like Common who is also a poet:
b611o-CC5ac

Something like The Fugees who are also legendary:
ighu4gGlaUE

Dead Prez who are revolutionary:
7d3KIESQplg

Talib Kweli:
QS3rzDIEI6I

Yes, the last two are from Dave Chapelle's Block Party. The Roots, Mos Def, Kanye West Erika Badu, Common, Jill Scott and the Fugees are also in it.

Now, if the video links I posted don't suit you, that's fine, but you know, I don't like it when someone says all rap is crap or they hate all rap ... you know what, chances are you haven't HEARD all rap, most likely it's the crap they feed you on the radio. Not real Hip-Hop that's from the soul, real Hip-Hop that doesn't talk about how much money you have, your grills, the hoes, your cars. That's not what Hip-Hop is about. There's an intellectual level to this culture, to this music, and it's shame that you condemn it and don't even have the decency to at least recognize that part of this music genre.

Jacob x5
07-02-07, 07:34
You forgot to add, "in your opinion".

Of course it's an opinion. You don't have to qualify it with 'in my opinion'. I don't care if there are people who like rap. I think it's crap.

BlackFlame
07-02-07, 08:14
I listen to a lot of rap...curiously I only got into it a couple of years ago, my preference until then had always been Industrial Metal.

There is a lot of bad Rap out there... especially the english/welsh rappers... (how the hell did Lily Allen get into this conversation?)

Eminem is incredibly clever lyrically, really.... it's technically very clever the way his rhymes work.

If you want to hear something different, some clever, musical rap, try someone like Petey Pablo..... Chamillionaire is okay.....

And yes, I guess the tough gansta look can be a bit humourous (especially with the english "gangstas" who get arrested for carrying air pistols "Oooohh, that really stung you bugger...." and a drive-by isn't quite the same when it's done by a couple of gormless londoners who have to stop so they can load another pellet in their gun, drive six feet, fire, stop again to reload.....)

It's not all posuring in the states though, as 50 cent, Tupac, Notorious and Proof have all found out.

kryptonite23
07-02-07, 11:06
Rap is a music but it is very annoying when I here sombody rapping.
It is everywhere.
But some raps are really good.

JANKERSON
07-02-07, 11:11

J.

Exactly.

RAP isn't music at all, it's noise. :hea: :hea: :hea:

illuminati30
07-02-07, 11:24
Very little of it that I ever hear ever has a good message (course, that could be the complaint of pop music too, I hate that as well). Heh, and Ja Rule? I heard one of his songs once, a family member was listening to it, and I couldn't help but be disgusted: he mentioned necrophilia like it was cool to be a "gangsta" and *Mature* mod will prob edit it: got blood on my dick 'cause I ****ed a corpse? Heh, maybe I should have listened to it more, to get the point, lol.

I get what you are saying, and you have a good point. I know very little of the work of Ja Rule, only what he did with Jlo, and that is what i liked. I tend to like it, if it is paired with another artist i like. What you are saying about words is correct. I can not tolerate people who through garbage out there in the form of words, and then do not want to take repsonsibility for them later. Eminem is an example of this for me. I can no listen to music from a man who sings about assulting his mother, and murdering his wife etc.

I am not a big fan of rap music, and i agree, most of it is probably influential for all the wrong reasons, but there must be some rap artists who have a good message.

illuminati30
07-02-07, 11:28
For the most part, I like rap. I think it's rude to say that only British rap is crap. It doesn't matter what country you're from.

Well i do not mean to be rude, but i do like some rap, but being a British person, i have not found a single rap artist who i have liked, usually just laughed at. Britsh rappers are trying to hard to be like American rappers.

Bullethail
07-02-07, 11:58
Guess that rap is appreciated like manele in my country .

If it's like having a stake driven through your skull, then pretty much...

Now, rap's okay. I just personally don't like it.

L.C
07-02-07, 12:17
I'm partial to old-skool gangsta rap, especially Ice-T, but there have been great releases by artists before and beyond that.

As far as British rap scraping the barrel, I'm afraid I have to agree to a point. One exception is Goldie Lookin' Chain (although being Welsh, they may not consider themselves British)----for the fact that they hardly take themselves seriously :D

Greenkey2
07-02-07, 14:16
Rap music. Urgh :hea:

As we say in Lara's world; "It doesn't raid my tomb."

RedTyga
07-02-07, 15:49
I'd implore people to actually look at my post.

Bullethail
07-02-07, 16:05
You know guys. I just watched the first video posted here, and I have to say it wasn't actually too bad... once you get past the first part, it has a pretty true message to it.

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 17:35
I'd implore people to actually look at my post.

While you chose an awesome selection of music, I don't think you realize what you are up against.

People who "hate rap" or feel that "all rap sucks" or the alliterative feeling that "all rap is crap" are not going to be convinced by an awesome selection of music for the simple fact that they won't bother clicking on it.

There is a pizza chain out here that has a really awful rap that they inflict upon you in their commercials which goes "It's known, it's understood, La Pizza Loca, the best pizza in the hood" and you get the feeling that the marketer who came up with that was feeling rather clever about his little rhyme.

That is one example, but there are TONS of samples of bad rap like that out there that the average person runs into during the course of their day. These bad raps accumulate and help to shape the opinion that all rap is garbage.

Nothing could be further from the truth, though. Click on some of those videos RedTyga provided and you can see that rap is far beyond simple rhymes set to music....it is using voice and lyrics as an instrument in unision with the instruments, and a form of expression that relies heavily upon an intricate interlacing of rhythm, rhyme and tone.

Just as Rock and Roll was maligned by certain people early on, grew in acceptance but was still not accepted by a certain hardcore group of people, rap will go through the same.

This has been the opinion of an old-time rocker.

Betal
07-02-07, 20:00
rap/ hiphop. Everything is just crap

But listen to this. Swedish rap. C.R.A.P. I really hate that song. I hate all rap

mKrA2-48fhk

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 20:05
Betal....can you elaborate on what is it about "ALL" rap that you hate?

I can understand if it is the pretensious and/or simplistic "rap" that you hate....no one could disagree there. A lot of what comes out for all styles is crap when you look at it.

But there are gems that do the style proud. Scroll back and I highly recommend you give a listen to some of the ones RedTyga posted.

At the very least, listen to the Mos Def one she has there. It shows that rap is more than just rhyming...but that it can be done with harmony and integrated with the instruments.

But, barring that....please explain how it is crap. If all I heard of rock and roll was that "devil burping" sound that some of the more hardcore bands tend to do, I'd think that all rock sucks and consists of nothing but guys flailing on instruments non-rhythmically and burping into the microphone.

Betal
07-02-07, 20:09
Betal....can you elaborate on what is it about "ALL" rap that you hate?

I hate all rap. All song that ever been maded if it's rap or hip hop. The music sucks and the video sucks to. It's just half naked bimbos who dance next to someone who sings about sex, drugs and hoes. It's just not normal. And most of all people who listen to hiphop isn't nice to talk with. Atleast everybody i knows. Ofcourse there are many nice people who like hiphop. But I just tell my experience about rap/ hiphop. But atleast I think rap is better then hiphop

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 20:12
I hate all rap. All song that ever been maded if it's rap or hip hop. The music sucks and the video sucks to. It's just half naked bimbos who dance next to someone who sings about sex, drugs and hoes. It's just not normal. And most of all people who listen to hiphop isn't nice to talk with. Atleast everybody i knows. Ofcourse there are many nice people who like hiphop. But I just tell my experience about rap/ hiphop. But atleast I think rap is better then hiphop

:D Never watch old Van Halen videos then.........

Well, if it is the thematic material which is annoying, then I will repeat my request that you check out the RedTyga posts. The material selected moves away from that and is more focused on style and substance as opposed to merely image.

It may not change your mind, but at least it will show that the style isn't nearly as narrow as the radio would have you beleive.

RedTyga
07-02-07, 20:20

Yes, utter crap:

DtftuSHnWVY

How the hell is this concidered an art form?:

8trMh3nviuw

Anyone can do this crap:

2_RO_OsflHM

pffffft, rap from the beginning was garbage, wtf are you talking about?

sAZbBS0a3GU

My grandmother can rhyme better than this:

NCElniIsiNQ

All rap videos are about degrading women and they only talk about how much bling they have and all that crap, as shown here:

JNcloTmvTeA

Betal
07-02-07, 20:31
:D Never watch old Van Halen videos then.........

Well, if it is the thematic material which is annoying, then I will repeat my request that you check out the RedTyga posts. The material selected moves away from that and is more focused on style and substance as opposed to merely image.

It may not change your mind, but at least it will show that the style isn't nearly as narrow as the radio would have you beleive.

I'm sorry but nothing in this wrold can ever make me like rap or hiphop.

RedTyga
07-02-07, 20:36
Yes, even though all the videos I posted suggest the contrary of everything you said about rap and hiphop. It's a narrow minded opinion of someone who is secure in this feeling and does not want to be open to the thoughts of the doubt in that feeling.

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 20:42
I'm sorry but nothing in this wrold can ever make me like rap or hiphop.

Making you like it is not the intention, as indicated by that sentence.

The points you make about rap can be said to be true about many styles of popular music. The half naked women, getting high and partying is a strong theme in much classic rock.

Of course, there was a period of what I called "complaining" rock that I found annoying...and now more mainstream rock has been adapting styles from rap/hip hop....which rock can easily do as it is an adaptive style.

If you are going to dislike something, that is your perogative....blanket statements that imply that 100% of it is about a particular theme is just wrong though.

I am one of the few people I know who does not use what I call the "Country Disclaimer"......I have no preference for a musical style...I just like songs that I think are good. I've seen people say "I like all styles of music except country" but even that statement is ignorant.

If I hear a good song that happens to be country, I won't apologize for liking it. I also won't force myself to dislike a good song because it was made in a genre I don't appreciate.

Therefore I will not make a blanket statement such as "all Country music sucks" or "all Rock music sucks" because I take each song on its own merit.

The blanket statement of "All rap sucks" comes across as ignorant, but it mostly reflects on your own limitations. I can understand if the style is not to your liking in general...but it's the blanket statements like that which I take issue with.

Will_543
07-02-07, 21:31
Everyone has their own opinions but, personally, i can't stand rap music. I feel that theres not a lot of talent involved. Anyone can memorise a set of lyrics and recite them really quickly in a monotone voice.
Comparing this to say a rock band, where 4/5 members are playing instruments that take years to perfect, all in time and, in some cases, singing at the same time. That takes talent and skill.

But thats just my opinion

saray
07-02-07, 21:37
i hate rap music... all it is is a bunch of half witted twonks talking about how they're going to slap their be-atches up and refer to the size of their manhood.. honestly, rap "stars" are talentless dumbasses and shouldn't give up on their day job.

Paperdoll
07-02-07, 21:48
it is using voice and lyrics as an instrument in unision with the instruments, and a form of expression that relies heavily upon an intricate interlacing of rhythm, rhyme and tone.

Being a person that hates rap and hip hop(not my taste, simple as that) I managed to acknowledge the above due to having a friend that loves it and even writes lyrics, being smart enough not to go for most crap nowadays.

This is a no win discussion, it's mostly not a matter of wether it's good or not, it's a matter of taste, but many people seem to confuse both.

RedTyga
07-02-07, 21:58
Everyone has their own opinions but, personally, i can't stand rap music. I feel that theres not a lot of talent involved. Anyone can memorise a set of lyrics and recite them really quickly in a monotone voice.
Comparing this to say a rock band, where 4/5 members are playing instruments that take years to perfect, all in time and, in some cases, singing at the same time. That takes talent and skill.

But thats just my opinion

I would ask you then to come up with a good rap song, since anyone can do it.

I would aso ask you to freestyle some rap. A lot of what rappers do is freestyle, meaning they rap off the top of their head. That takes A LOT of skill.

I would also ask you to do a battle rap with someone, I mean it should be easy if all you think rap is is memorizing lyrics and speaking in a monotone voice.

I would also ask you to listen to the Roots who play instruments and rap. Or how about the art of DJing? It also takes years to master being a good DJ, someone who rocks the turntables.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Hip-Hop is poetry. You listen to the lyrics. Hell, I posted the lyrics you would define it as poetry. That's what these artists do. They just happen to do it a beat.

i hate rap music... all it is is a bunch of half witted twonks talking about how they're going to slap their be-atches up and refer to the size of their manhood.. honestly, rap "stars" are talentless dumbasses and shouldn't give up on their day job.

Yes, thank you for your ignorant opinion and not checking out any of the videos I posted.

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 22:07
Being a person that hates rap and hip hop(not my taste, simple as that) I managed to acknowledge the above due to having a friend that loves it and even writes lyrics, being smart enough not to go for most crap nowadays.

This is a no win discussion, it's mostly not a matter of wether it's good or not, it's a matter of taste, but many people seem to confuse both.

This is very true. It IS a matter of taste. I don't really think anyone should be forced to like anything that isn't to their taste....I mean..I remember my mom forcing me to eat brussel sprouts.

I really was addressing the blanket "all rap is about is...." statements which are used to explaining hating rap...and it's the assumption that it is ALL it is about.

Just like the assumption that "All" rock music is satanic is ludicrous on the surface and that not every rock performer sounds the same (though many may sound similar due to the style of music).

I'm glad you at least know that it isn't all rap is about, and I certainly can understand if it still isn't to your liking. Your reason for not liking is best because it is purely based on your own personal opinions and tastes.

I guess it's the Absolutisms that are thrown out there ("all rap is about bling and hos", etc) which make me think the opinion is more founded on the basis of being "counter-culturally hip" than anything else.

MizzCroft007
07-02-07, 22:10

J.
Agreed!

saray
07-02-07, 22:10
Yes, thank you for your ignorant opinion and not checking out any of the videos I posted.

i apologise for not checking out the videos you posted, but they still dont do it for me.

however i do not apologise for my " ignorant opinion" as it was an opinion, and refuse to apologise for how i feel and what i think.

:wve:

RedTyga
07-02-07, 22:23
i apologise for not checking out the videos you posted, but they still dont do it for me.

however i do not apologise for my " ignorant opinion" as it was an opinion, and refuse to apologise for how i feel and what i think.

:wve:

Oh, don't get me wrong, you still have the right to have your ignorant opinion, but don't think blanket absolute statements like what you said will fly around me.

Facetious Sage
07-02-07, 22:28

I think this is the opinion RedTyga referred to.....and please note the operative descriptor of her claim was it was an ignorant opinion.

Should you apologize for your opinion? Not at all. The problem is that your opinion (i.e., you hate rap music) is supported by the reasoning I have bolded above.

That is the basis for her notation that it is an "ignorant" opinion since there have now been a dozen videos posted that are contrary to that claim (which should address your use of the word "all).

Had you written something like: It seems that all it is is a bunch of half witted twonks talking about how they're going to slap their be-atches up and refer to the size of their manhood It would have safely fallen under the umbrella of personal opinion and not been perceived as an ignorant and uninformed attack on a style you do not personally care for.

Ampersand
07-02-07, 22:40
I'm one of the 'rap just isn't my thing' party. Theme or content aside, I just don't like the sound of it and it fails to tick any 'Good Music' boxes for me.

RedTyga
07-02-07, 22:48
I'm one of the 'rap just isn't my thing' party. Theme or content aside, I just don't like the sound of it and it fails to tick any 'Good Music' boxes for me.

I totally respect you for that opinion. You are the second person I've seen who actually "gets it."

Fish.
07-02-07, 22:48

J.

:tmb:

Hurrah4Lara
07-02-07, 23:07
Well the thread title is provocative and I mainly agree. RedTyga's put some exceptions up though, and some are OK to me (eg Fugees).

It usually reminds me of a weedy version of how Punk was.

I was in a town Cheltenham today and some feeble white boys went past us trying to rap - it was so funny!:vlol:

H4L:wve:

CerebralAssassin
08-02-07, 02:57
well,rap died along with 2-pac...and yes,Snoop Dogg ain;t that good anymore!:p as for british rap,I've never heard it..

illuminati30
08-02-07, 22:06
I am quite impressed with French rap. This is a good song, about a guy who has to go to war, and does not understand why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtnmqODchU

and Diams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_YAJKpjiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAkT3tanjQ

Wicked!

They can do it!

lorien elf
10-02-07, 23:43
I get what you are saying, and you have a good point. I know very little of the work of Ja Rule, only what he did with Jlo, and that is what i liked. I tend to like it, if it is paired with another artist i like. What you are saying about words is correct. I can not tolerate people who through garbage out there in the form of words, and then do not want to take repsonsibility for them later. Eminem is an example of this for me. I can no listen to music from a man who sings about assulting his mother, and murdering his wife etc.

I am not a big fan of rap music, and i agree, most of it is probably influential for all the wrong reasons, but there must be some rap artists who have a good message.

Yeah, I remember the songs he did with her, and I kinda liked those, some years ago, lol, but then I heard that one song and lost any respect for it that I might have had. It's just one of those lines you can't cross, heh, a lot like what happens in South Park, actually. And, most of the kind that I hear people listening to around here don't have flattering lyrics either. I think then, that in the case of RedTyga and others, it's those who must have grown up with it or have had that unique background experience that makes them appreciate the finer aspect of the music, rather than what's mainstream or most popular...

I guess they make the videos like that 'cause they're very appealing to fans, people like to see nice cars and beautiful women, etc? And actually, in most other genres, pop especially, it doesn't always seem that people pay attention to the lyrics anyway. They just like the catchy tunes or popular appeal of the singers, band, etc. I don't like how it seems white kids from the suburbs just listen to rap because of the attitude, makes them seem cool and they're tough if they listen to music like that, imo. 'Cause, what kind of problems can those kids have that even relate to what some of the rappers or other artists talk about? unless of course they start to smoke weed. ;)

Yes, even though all the videos I posted suggest the contrary of everything you said about rap and hiphop. It's a narrow minded opinion of someone who is secure in this feeling and does not want to be open to the thoughts of the doubt in that feeling.

I can respect your opinion on it, and in a way can see how the blanket statements offend you, as to why others don't like rap. I wouldn't like it if they said that all metal is only about death, etc and that's only because it's good to be dark, etc, whatever. But, in a way, I guess some just say that stuff about rap because they can't quite explain why they don't like it? dunno. At least, I think it's fair to say that what comes on tv and the radio is bad enough to put people off of the genre. I tend to try to research things before I make a blanket statement or absolutism about them, but it takes a bit of drive or certain interest for people to do that if they don't like what type of that area of music that they've already been exposed to. I would say that the same goes for gothic music... if you hear just a bit that you don't like, it's not likely that you're going to search through the rest to find out if it's all that disatisfying, unless you just know you like the genre and will find something that appeals to you eventually, imo.

I really do appreciate good lyrics. I check out the ones from songs I listen to, hoping to find something with more meaning, etc, of course. I think it's great when rappers, etc, use lyrics and instruments in their music that aren't appealing to the masses who only care about material things (same goes for pop). I might check out those videos soon, esp. the ones that use instruments. I really even like the rock bands that can work in classical instruments into their songs, heh, though most people might not find that appealing. I think it's not unfair to make a quick assessment and say that from what kind of rap I've heard thus far, I dont like it. The style just doesn't appeal to me. It's just how I usually hate women's singing in Opera, and heh, I can't even describe it but it's what they do to their voices when they carry notes, I hate it. :mad:

And about the country thing. I wouldn't lie and say that I didn't like a song from that genre if it happened to be good and I have enjoyed a couple actually. But I don't see how it's unfair to say that that genre does not appeal to me. It's a genre for a reason, it has similarities of style, etc, to make it a category like that. It's a blanket statement to make things simple. Generally, I hate country music. I don't like the twang in the voices, or the slow pace of the music. But some songs I have enjoyed. I'm fine with saying that.

bulliestogo
11-02-07, 00:25
Well, rap I suppose is a talent, but the culture that comes with it is bad. It's also used as a lazy excuse for music, and has a crowd of ignorant sheep that just follow it because somehow it's "fashionable".:mad:

Tweetygwee, would you enlighten me on this terrible culture that comes from rap? You have such a passionate opinion that it's clear you've heard a lot of rap from a lot of record labels. Especially the indie hip hop labels that feature upper-middle-class, Jewish kids as the frontmen. Ones who go to the trouble to add stringed instrumentation, monophonic keyboards and real drum beats to their rhymes.

But in reality, I assume you're making a blanket statement based on your experiences with mainstream rap. From artists like Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas and the Wu Tang Clan. The "gangster" culture is, I assume, what you're talking about. I agree -- I personally think such topics are detrimental to children ... but they shouldn't be listening to it anyway. And as for the musical production of mainstream rap? Usually mind-numbingly repetitive. But don't knock an entire genre of music because of the mainstream.

By your (and pretty much everyone else in this topic) rationale, I guess that means rock and roll sucks. After all, Billboard repeatedly lists ridiculous acts like Linkin Park, Nickleback and Blue October as chart-topping "rock" musicians. I guess Taking Back Sunday and Alkaline Trio are "punk" as well.

I don't even listen to rap/hip-hop. I just don't want to drag down the artists who actually get it with the untalented ones.