PDA

View Full Version : Factor 5 - Game developers not making most of Wii graphical potential.

illuminati30
09-02-07, 23:55
I thought this was a rather interesting article on IGN today:

5. Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?
Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

Source: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

THis made me wonder, what exactly were they doing in 2003, and holy moly! Take a look:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/rstrike_081103_x10.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/rstrike_081103_x6.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/rs2rebelstrike_051403_gcn_06.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/rs2rebelstrike_051403_gcn_05.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/roguesquadron3_073003_04.jpg

So i have came to the conclusion that he is right! They certainly pushed the GC to its limits in its very early days, and i have certainly not seen anything like this on Wii yet, and it is supposed to be x2 the power of Gamecube.

I would be very interested to see a game they made for Wii.

2. What do you think of Nintendo's Wii console and is there any chance that Factor 5 would make a future Wii title? Julian: I love the Wii, absolutely. As I've said many, many times, the perfect combination of consoles to have at home is a PS3 and Wii. Everybody really should have one. Will we make something for the Wii? Well, obviously we would have an extremely powerful engine on it with our work on Rebel Strike, but for right now we certainly haven't planned anything for the Wii outside of some third parties who have approached us about licensing DivX and MusyX, which would be a no-brainer for us. Speaking about games, right now we're quite happy with Sony and Lair is obviously something that is with Sony and will stay with Sony. As to other original IPs, I think as long as we and Sony can agree on price, budget and everything else that makes these things tick, we're quite happy with who we're with right now. On the other hand, I as a creator would love to do something with the Wii-mote, something wacky, but I also can do that just by hacking into the thing and never making a commercial game with it [laughs].

It would be interesting to see how far they could push it! Will it happen? Also, they are working on 'Lair' for the PS3. Could this game push the PS3 to its limit, never again to be met be other developers? Interesting!

interstellardave
10-02-07, 01:14
Agreed. Wii games currently look quite poor. I really don't think I could stomach playing Call Of Duty 3 or Madden on it--particularly since the controls on the 360 for such games are great while they look 1000 times better. I don't see the Wii doing well with certain types of multi-platform games for that reason. Developers need to be innovative with the Wii but please, give me better graphics too!

So far, I'm enjoying my Wii... Wii Sports shows the systems potential but those games on there are not very deep (but hey it comes with the system!). Trauma Center is a game made for the Wii control style--and I don't see the game being nearly as engaging on another console. On the Wii it's right at home and I'm loving it. That's the kinds of things I want to see on the Wii!

illuminati30
10-02-07, 11:55
Agreed. Wii games currently look quite poor. I really don't think I could stomach playing Call Of Duty 3 or Madden on it--particularly since the controls on the 360 for such games are great while they look 1000 times better. I don't see the Wii doing well with certain types of multi-platform games for that reason. Developers need to be innovative with the Wii but please, give me better graphics too!

Well i am surprised at your choice of games in terms of Call of Duty 3 and Madden, because someone posed a video here recently of Call of Duty on PS3, 360, and Wii, and at some points, there really was not a great deal of difference. However, i do not doubt it will look better on the 360 and PS3, but i do think the graphics for this game are average on the Wii, but still pretty, none the less. Madden on the other hand, I actually think looks great, and this is one of the Wii launch games IGN have been screaming about, saying it is the best platform on which to play this game out of all three.

However, i think you are right. I think it is questionable whether many ports will actually work on Wii, hence why i have my 360 also, and why i will always check out reviews before hand, but Madden is an example that it can be done well. I think the Wii really needs games built from the groud up, for it only, by developers. However, it is important that the Wii gets these ports, to be seen to be still in with the business. But from the way i see things, some game developers are pretty slack and lazy, and that is what has shocked me most. The screens i posted, it is hard to believe that is from 2003, and for the Gamecube, or is it just me?

However, i am not contradicting myself in that i say i go for gameplay rather than graphics, and here i am ranting about graphics. I just find this company 'Factor 5' rather interesting, as from the sounds of it, they know what they are doing, and other companies don't know their butt from their elbow. I also find it rather exciting to know that all of he hardware out there has more potential than people realise. This is true, look at the graphics for Tomb Raider Legend on PS2. However, granted, the game play sucked! LOL!

interstellardave
10-02-07, 13:00
Internet videos don't do any games justice... on the 360 COD3 is magnificent in High Def... the mere fact alone that the Wii doesn't support High Def makes a significant difference and, as the article states no games are utilizing the power of the Wii yet--so how can it possibly compare?

Now Madden does look decidedly last-gen compared to the 360 version--my friend has it for his Wii. He told me that the controls are interesting (which is what IGN gets excited about) but that the game is imbalanced. He says that it's way too easy to pass the ball for big plays all the time, which ruins the experience. It would be the same as a soccer game where every time you play the score is 21-20!

Me and my friends have come to expect a more realistic game of football (american football) over the years! But some people don't mind a more arcadey-experience, I guess. So, in our opinion, the 360 version (which does have some flaws itself) is better in both Graphics and in Gamplay as it pertains to a realistic experience. But we're hardcore footballers, LOL!

I think that the very best games for the Wii will be coming soon, but I'm expecting a lot from developers. Like I said, ports had better be different from the other console versions--in a good way. Wii controls should give me that different game-play experience but the game itself should retain all of the goodness that is there in the other console versions, including giving us graphics that at least live up to the Wii's potential. I don't think that fancy new control schemes should be given to us in place of other game aspects. Too many developers are lazy!

Tomb Raider Jay
10-02-07, 14:45
It doesn't really surprise me to be honest :rolleyes:
I was quite annoyed reading GM's reviews because they talk about the Wii like it's a spare part and like it's not even in the same race as Xbox 360 and PS3 - their magazine sucks, I know that now and I ain't buying it again >they are all PS3 fanboys

The Wii is the most graphically inferior console of the three next gen consoles, and yes I know it's twice as powerful as the Gamecube but developers will probably just stick with last gen technology - for now - in thier games, rather than push the machine to it's limits - and pushing the Wii will take time :(

I heard it could be pushed to the original Xbox graphics quality though - at least then the games wouldn't look so dated - but will any developer be bothered to show the Wii's true graphical potential? :confused:

The console needs a good exclusive like FF or Halo to really show off what developers can really do with the Wii hardware - there will be the next Zelda game and sure it'll look awesome - but that'll take years to be finished ;)

The Wii needs a good looking game now!

illuminati30
10-02-07, 14:53
It doesn't really surprise me to be honest :rolleyes:
I was quite annoyed reading GM's reviews because they talk about the Wii like it's a spare part and like it's not even in the same race as Xbox 360 and PS3 - their magazine sucks, I know that now and I ain't buying it again >they are all PS3 fanboys

The Wii is the most graphically inferior console of the three next gen consoles, and yes I know it's twice as powerful as the Gamecube but developers will probably just stick with last gen technology - for now - in thier games, rather than push the machine to it's limits - and pushing the Wii will take time :(

I heard it could be pushed to the original Xbox graphics quality though - at least then the games wouldn't look so dated - but will any developer be bothered to show the Wii's true graphical potential? :confused:

The console needs a good exclusive like FF or Halo to really show off what developers can really do with the Wii hardware - there will be the next Zelda game and sure it'll look awesome - but that'll take years to be finished ;)

The Wii needs a good looking game now!

Arrgg! I just lost my last post.

I agree with you here Jay, and Dave.

I also talked about Zelda for the Wii, and how it is planned, because the last one was really a last game for the Gamecube. Surely Nintendo games will look the best on it, because they must know how to push their own hardware.

The appeal is not the graphics, but i find it interesting that is has this potential which has not yet been hacked into, although Sonic and the Secret rings, looks like it might be, as I would not consider this current gen.

The worst example is perhaps, Prince of Persia Wii from ubisoft. All it is is the third game with Wiimote function, from what i can see. Come on, we all played it already!

interstellardave
10-02-07, 15:17
On the positive side, I heard Super Mario Galaxy is stunning, and makes full use of the the Wii-mote capabilities! That is a game I am very much looking forward to!