PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Women In Gaming

ilie_ fusarau
11-02-07, 02:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj3fxDe8Ybc

tomblover
11-02-07, 08:28
Samus had a well earned first place IMO. Although I think that Zoe didn't deserve tenth, Allegra should of had it.

Mad Tony
11-02-07, 09:14
WTF!?
Yet again Game Trailers have proved they can be completely crazy when choosing their top ten.
I mean, Lara Croft at number 2!? She should've been number 1 as I've never even heard of that thing or whatever it was at number 1.

Eva should've been much higher up than she was, and what about Meryl!?
And I definitely think Bastilla from Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic should've been on there as well.

Raziel66
11-02-07, 09:16
They forgot many characters:hea:

Mad Tony
11-02-07, 09:17
They forgot many characters:hea:
Too True.
And they put in too many crap ones.

Raziel66
11-02-07, 09:18
Too True.
And they put in too many crap ones.

Exactly

tomblover
11-02-07, 09:28
Actually, IMO, no SSX characters should be in there. And Rayne deserved a much better place. She's fighting Nazi's, remember?

Mad Tony
11-02-07, 09:33
Actually, IMO, no SSX characters should be in there. And Rayne deserved a much better place. She's fighting Nazi's, remember?
I beg to differ. Yes, I don't think Zoe should've been on there, but Elise should of IMO.
She was a bit like Lara Croft, beautiful, cool and kicks ass.

tomblover
11-02-07, 09:43
I beg to differ. Yes, I don't think Zoe should've been on there, but Elise should of IMO.
She was a bit like Lara Croft, beautiful, cool and kicks ass. Elise would be a good choice, but I'd prefer my sweetie Allegra (http://www.gamespot.be/images/babespot/0311_Allegra_SSX3.jpg) to be in there.

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 11:30
No Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield? I think the RE women should have been in there.

I've never even heard of Samus either.

viper456
11-02-07, 11:39
i was supprised no one from Tekken got a place, or Soul Callibur :| poor Nina and Ivy! lol

Trigger_happy
11-02-07, 11:41
lets make our own top 10!

Mad Tony
11-02-07, 11:50
lets make our own top 10!
Good idea. :tmb:

illuminati30
11-02-07, 17:06
No Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield? I think the RE women should have been in there.

I've never even heard of Samus either.

Jill was a bit on the stupid side if you ask me, or maybe it was just the poor voice acting.

This top ten is stupid crap, and most of it is perverted. Samus should defo be number one though, as she is by far the coolest female character around, without looking like a bimbo.

Never heard of her? It is Metroid Prime. If you have never played it, well, ohh i can not imagine such a life!

Blackmoor
11-02-07, 17:18
You mean Jill in RE1 or RE3, or both? I like her... but all the RE characters have a bit iffy dialogue if you know what I mean. :D

I've vaguely heard of Metroid Prime. Is it first person shooter? I'm always on the look out for new games except fps which I'm rubbish at, and they make me seasick.

AmericanAssassin
11-02-07, 17:21
Hmmm...that list was absolutely rediculous! I've seen several other lists like this before and Lara was always #1, as she should be! :mad:

b0bb13
11-02-07, 17:28
Who is that ugly ***** from #1?Lara should be #1.Those guys don't know anything about TR.And Rayne is is almost as good as Lara.:mad:

illuminati30
11-02-07, 18:44
You mean Jill in RE1 or RE3, or both? I like her... but all the RE characters have a bit iffy dialogue if you know what I mean. :D

I've vaguely heard of Metroid Prime. Is it first person shooter? I'm always on the look out for new games except fps which I'm rubbish at, and they make me seasick.

It has been around since NES days. It was a platform game, and on Gamecube it made the jump to FPS. Everyone said this was going to be a grave mistake. It went from 'this game will be doomed' to 'this is the best game ever made' at it's release. It is often compaired to Halo, but it is really nothing like it. If you could imagine something like Halo meets Tomb Raider, it is some where inbetween.

http://uk.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metroidprime/index.html

PS none of the screen shots or videos do justice to this game. It has to be seen.

kill bill
11-02-07, 18:56
How the **** Did a robot come first.:hea: They have bad eye corrdanition.:cen:
Lara Croft Should be first. :)

[mod edit: cs circumvention. Do NOT do that again, you have been warned often enough.]

illuminati30
11-02-07, 19:10
How the **** Did a robot come first.:hea: They have bad eye corrdanition.:cen:
Lara Croft Should be first. :)

Well if you are going to be technical about it, in terms of eye site! It is infact a woman in a space suit.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/ssbb_zssamus.jpg

Lets face it, Metroid Prime has been a far far better game than Tomb Raider in the last 5 years. She deserves her number one position. Anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to play Metroid :D

Mad Tony
11-02-07, 19:18
Lets face it, Metroid Prime has been a far far better game than Tomb Raider in the last 5 years. She deserves her number one position. Anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to play Metroid :D
Really?
I've never even heard of Metroid Prime before, and neither have many other members of this forum.

illuminati30
11-02-07, 19:25
Really?
I've never even heard of Metroid Prime before, and neither have many other members of this forum.

Hence why, i always feel so alone :(

Really people, try new things, you might find you like it!

I had a TV station at the time i bought my Gamecube. It was a video game station on cable, it was pretty cheap, but i loved it. They went on and on and on about Metroid for ages, buming it up. I thought 'hmmm not really my thing'. Then i saw her roll into a ball and solve puzzles in this way, and i thought that was pretty neat. I played it in the shop, and decided to buy it. It is very fast paced to begin with, but you soon get to grips with it.

It is like Tomb Raider in many way. Well it has a lead female charcter who kicks ass, has ancient mechanisms/codes which you interect with physically and have to interpret and decipher, temples, landscapes, gadgets, guns, puzzles.

Basically, if this game was on PS2, you would have heard of it for sure. Jeez, we would probably be on the third movie buy now, and it would be bigger than Halo.

Psyched
11-02-07, 19:28
The initial hype from the Nintendo faithful was that it was far superior to Halo in every aspect... suffice to say those initial assertions died out swiftly. Not saying anything against Metroid Prime, I'm sure it's very good and the really old Metroid thing was fun to play.

Alive_and_Funky
11-02-07, 19:32
Hence why, i always feel so alone :(
I've heard of Samus! I've never played the games though, but I probably will someday.
I've not watched the video and all I know is that Lara Croft came second and Samus first. I would have thought Lara should have won, but I don't know what Samus is like so I can't really have an opinion on that. Also, Lara may have been the revolutionary female of gaming, but illuminati30's point about Metroid being a better game in the last five years brings up a strong rebuttal. It's like sports, you may have been great at some point, but you aren't going to be the greatest in your sport forever, just like if Lara can't provide quality games all the time, someone else will take her place. If it's about who is the greatest of all-time, then it's a whole different story.
Sorry if I've got things wrong because I've not watched the video.

illuminati30
11-02-07, 19:33
The initial hype from the Nintendo faithful was that it was far superior to Halo in every aspect... suffice to say those initial assertions died out swiftly. Not saying anything against Metroid Prime, I'm sure it's very good and the really old Metroid thing was fun to play.

The hype from who?

The way i see it, it is nothing like Halo. It is like comparing Tomb Raider to Silent Hill or something.

As my friend put it, when in comparison to Halo

"Metroid Prime was a far more innovative game, having played a demo its pretty different to the normal FPS style, with as much focus on scanning targets and solving puzzles as there is on, to paraphrase the Jurassic Park III arcade machine "Making things become quiet".

"Overall like I said, comparison of the two is pretty foolish since the gameplay in the two is far different. If you want pure FPS action, Halo, if you want a more puzzle based idea, Metroid prime."

illuminati30
11-02-07, 19:36
I've heard of Samus! I've never played the games though, but I probably will someday.

I've not watched the video and all I know is that Lara Croft came second and Samus first. I would have thought Lara should have won, but I don't know what Samus is like so I can't really have an opinion on that. Also, Lara may have been the revolutionary female of gaming, but illuminati30's point about Metroid being a better game in the last five years brings up a strong rebuttal. It's like sports, you may have been great at some point, but you aren't going to be the greatest in your sport forever, just like if Lara can't provide quality games all the time, someone else will take her place. If it's about who is the greatest of all-time, then it's a whole different story.
Sorry if I've got things wrong because I've not watched the video.

And a great point you make. The people who did this top ten, have obviously had to play every game going, because they are reviewers. People who have never played a game with Samus, or given it a proper chance, have no argument to say she does not deserve her No1 position.

domina
11-02-07, 19:38
I would have put Joanna Dark higher, but Perfect Dark was one of the first games I got really into so I'll admit bias. Lara will always be my number gaming girl. She was one of the first really notable female protagonists, taking women characters from the sideline and putting them right into the game.

I remember Samus from Super Smash Brothers, but for the longest time, I thought she was a dude. Oops. :o

K.J
11-02-07, 19:39
:yah: Samus won:yah:

Let's just hope Metroid Prime 3: Corruption can live up to this.

Samus first game came out in 1986 so she is one of the most important Nintendo gaming characters:). Well deserved that she won this.

Kiss-Bite
11-02-07, 20:03
Yes, Metroid Prime is meant to be a great game & from what I've seen I would agree too. However, I still think Lara Croft should be at the top spot, in my eyes she is the coolest female character around & her character has never been a bimbo at all! Lara is shapely but that doesn't equal bimbo, besides Samus physically seems to fit the stereotype more. The truth is, people are going to have their personal favourites, but Lara is the first & biggest female of gaming.:D

AmericanAssassin
11-02-07, 20:07
Shouldn't the top woman at least look good? Robots aren't exactly attractive.

Psyched
11-02-07, 20:09
The hype from who?

The way i see it, it is nothing like Halo. It is like comparing Tomb Raider to Silent Hill or something.

As my friend put it, when in comparison to Halo

"Metroid Prime was a far more innovative game, having played a demo its pretty different to the normal FPS style, with as much focus on scanning targets and solving puzzles as there is on, to paraphrase the Jurassic Park III arcade machine "Making things become quiet".

"Overall like I said, comparison of the two is pretty foolish since the gameplay in the two is far different. If you want pure FPS action, Halo, if you want a more puzzle based idea, Metroid prime."

The comparison to Halo was made from way before its release - truthfully, by many reviewers in addition to hardcore Nintendo fans. It seemed that Metroid Prime's main purpose was to rival Bungie's offering. I don't claim that was the intent, but it was certainly a big talking point. So, people probably judged the game by Halo's merits and it probably fell short of those without a chance to survive on its own. Some conjecture for thought.

I never played it because, and you made the point earlier, I had a PS2 and later an Xbox. It's not that I don't love a good mix of intellectual challenge and action, but rather that I don't go out of my way to delve into series that I'm not familiar with anymore.

Paperdoll
11-02-07, 20:12
Isn't Metroid supposed to be one of those classic games? Where have you people been? :rolleyes: oh well... I agree with Samus at the top although that list was terrible. Where the hell is Cate Archer? IMO one of the best female characters in gaming, a woman in a men's world that ends up being smarter and better at everything than her fellow spies as well as being sexy. Oh well...

Kiss-Bite
11-02-07, 20:15
I know Metroid Prime is considered a classic but I still imagine the average person would know who Lara Croft is out of any other female game character.:)

Supernova
11-02-07, 20:21
It's unacceptable that Lara isn't #1, there is nobody even close to what she has achieved in the gaming world, and no 'cyber' female ever will. She is still at the very top after 10 years and 7 games, nobody comes close to her.

*end rant* lol :D

illuminati30
11-02-07, 20:31
I know Metroid Prime is considered a classic but I still imagine the average person would know who Lara Croft is out of any other female game character.:)

Well i know who Asda and Walmart are, but that is not saying they are the best super market is it? :tea:

Kiss-Bite
11-02-07, 21:15
That is a matter of opinion, like I said before people are going to have their favourites.:) Lara's popularity transcended the gaming world, that doesn't happen unless people love that character.:) Lara is an icon in gaming no matter if some don't agree she should have that status, she just does.;)

Kiss-Bite
11-02-07, 21:28
I'm not even saying Samus from Metriod Prime is not a great character, I've heard nothing but praise for the series.:) There are strong female game characters I love that didn't make the list, characters from Final Fantasy, ResEvil, Primal & Beyond Good & Evil etc...

I just feel that Lara Croft is still the ultimate female game character when is comes to popularity & recognition.:)

tombraider123
11-02-07, 22:00
Lara should defo have been number 1. Samus is not even that popular, is she? I only recently first heard of her. I have known of Lara since about 1997, and it seems everyone knows who Lara is.

BoyTRaider
11-02-07, 22:18
Well if you are going to be technical about it, in terms of eye site! It is infact a woman in a space suit.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/illuminati30/ssbb_zssamus.jpg

Although I own Metroid Prime, I got stuck on it and haven't played in like 4 months... should I get back to it?

Anyway, I'm with you. She did deserve her place. :)

Tombreaper
11-02-07, 23:14
Top 1:

Lara, Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Heather.

lita212
12-02-07, 05:56
what makes me laugh is that right b4 they do the top 10 they say each character to make the top 10 has to have the looks and the action and yet the only one imo who was pretty and differnt was lara and bloodrayne lol. they should have had jill valentine or claire redfield. and should have had nina or christie from tekken.

Mad Tony
12-02-07, 06:59
I'm still amazed by the fact that some character I'd never even heard of got the number 1 spot and beat Lara Croft. :rolleyes:

CuteKittenlol
12-02-07, 08:12
WHAAAAT!

That was just stupid.
I mean, Lara wasn't #1, and there was no Jill or Claire!
How can you have a top 10, without Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield.
Pfffft.

petujaymz
12-02-07, 15:46
I think the top 5 should've looked something like this...

1 - Lara Croft
2 - Samus Aran
3 - Chun Li
4 - Princess Peach
5 - Joanna Dark

Based on current popularity, the quality/number of games featured in and gaming icon status...

:wve:

illuminati30
12-02-07, 17:34
Jill Valentine really ain't the brightest if you ask me. She was a good character, but a bit dipsy, and a bit of a wimp. The movie Jill Valentine was much more kick ass.

irjudd
12-02-07, 17:41
Wow, I've been pronouncing 'Samus Aran' wrong all these years.

Lara's Boy
12-02-07, 17:49
I'm disappointed that none of the RE ladies got in on the list (if not Jill, then what about Ada? THE 'coolest' RE lady by far!), but I believe that Samus deserves the number one spot. She's from a game that's older than TR, and she's totally kick-ass....as the reviewers said, she travels the galaxy fighting evil, Lara only saves Earth ;).

And for those who think Samus is a robot....how about you actually get some information about the game, lol?

RedTyga
12-02-07, 18:16
I think the top 5 should've looked something like this...

1 - Lara Croft
2 - Samus Aran
3 - Chun Li
4 - Princess Peach
5 - Joanna Dark

Based on current popularity, the quality/number of games featured in and gaming icon status...

:wve:

According to that, Samus is still #1. The reviews for her games are always high.

irjudd
12-02-07, 18:22
I agree. Metroid has always been a top quality game. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were absolutely stellar titles!

Kiss-Bite
12-02-07, 20:15
Metriod Prime is a very highly rated game.:)

Samus may travel the galaxy fighting evil, Lara only saves Earth. However, Lara transcends the gaming world.;) Everybody's list will differ & it depends on the criteria the list is based on.:)

Grenade
12-02-07, 21:37
i was supprised no one from Tekken got a place, or Soul Callibur :| poor Nina and Ivy! lol
Yeah, I would have thought they'd be there too. And I feel that Christie should have been a little further up. :)

xcrushterx
13-02-07, 09:39
:yik:

I haven't even heard of no.1
It should have been Lara:mad:

kryptonite23
13-02-07, 10:00
Why is Lara not on the first place?

Laras Backpack
13-02-07, 16:48
I'm disappointed that none of the RE ladies got in on the list (if not Jill, then what about Ada? THE 'coolest' RE lady by far!)
Word Lara's Boy! :tmb:

Despite the fact that I hadn't heard of atleast half of the women on the top ten I think it looked pretty fair. I've never played Metroid Prime due to my deadly allergy to first person perspective games (:p) but I have heard it spoken of very highly and Samus looks very cool.
Over the past 20 years or so there have been so many female game characters that have impacted the industry in some way. No top ten could ever do all of them justice, so at the end of the day this is just personal opinion and fun. :D