PDA

View Full Version : Will Nintendo's innovative approach change the way consoles are made?

Titanium
14-02-07, 13:36
With the huge success of the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS. Do you think this success will change the next console wars?
With the Wii remote and the touch screen for the DS proving popular with fans, do you think Sony and Microsoft will just keep on going for graphics and huge brand names or try something different in the next console battle?

irjudd
14-02-07, 14:09
I certainly want to keep using a controller with 14+ buttons! I don't need it dumbed down for "innovation". And I want continued processing power to be pushed further.
Wii remote is an interesting idea. But theres no need to fix something that is not broken.

TR freak
14-02-07, 14:11
I think it will change their approach to selling their consoles. Nintendos approach at innovation is VERY clever. Especially with what they did with the wii. With what nintendo did with the wii, even if it didn't sell well they'd still be making the most money. The wii is overpriced. They take dated technology, put motion sensing on there, some online and sell it as cheaper than the other consoles but still alot more than it cost them to make. If you look at the PS3 people say its overpriced. Its actually underpriced. Sony are losing money for every PS3 they sell. Its a very smart move by nintendo. They know that innovation is the way to sell consoles but just in case it didn't sell well they use dated hardware as well so they can definitely make money. I'm afraid if and when wii does win the console war that MS and sony could take the same approach. Good for the innovation side of it, but bad if they take nintendos approach to use dated hardware and sell it overpriced just so they can make more money. I am a wii owner btw. I love it and the innovation is better than any other console but I do recognise nintendos strategy was more milking the players than MS and Sony. Basicly I'd love it if other companies took ninendos approach to innovation but not their strategy of overpricing systems with dated hardware.

Mad Tony
14-02-07, 14:13
I think perhaps it might change a little in the gaming market, but not a lot.
There are only a handful of genres in which I would like a controller such as the Wii's. Most, however, like FPS and action/adventure type genres, I would still rather have the conventional controller than a controller like the Wii's.

petujaymz
14-02-07, 15:39
With the huge success of the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS. Do you think this success will change the next console wars?

No - I can't see Sony and Microsoft ever taking risks and experimenting the way Nintendo have. They'll stick to their same old formula - super powered consoles reliant on third party developers.

:wve:

Zelda master
14-02-07, 18:05
Well never see Sony and MS take that much risk, Nintendo did it twice live or dead or the game industrie and they did it good, what if Xbox or Playstation died...

irjudd
14-02-07, 18:53
Nintendo sure has taken risks, but they certainly didn't pan out well every time. How many of us own a Virtual Boy?

Zelda master
14-02-07, 18:55
No but i want one:whi:
just for a collectors item:D

irjudd
14-02-07, 19:02
You can find one online for a pretty good price.

Mad Tony
14-02-07, 19:03
Nintendo sure has taken risks, but they certainly didn't pan out well every time. How many of us own a Virtual Boy?
Virtual Boy?
Do you mean Visual Boy Advance?

irjudd
14-02-07, 19:04
I mean this

http://www.brainfusion.org/images/virtual-boy.jpg

Zelda master
14-02-07, 19:16
Virtual Boy?
Do you mean Visual Boy Advance?

No that what you mean is a Emulator, the Virtual Boy was a real handheld, and a weird one:D

irjudd
14-02-07, 19:24
Not really even a handheld. Barely even portable.