PDA

View Full Version : Male or Femal protagonist?

BlackGrey
22-02-07, 20:39
Which do you prefer and why? (Carrying out a personal survey :wve:)

Tomb Raider Master
22-02-07, 20:40
Both. No specific reason.

irjudd
22-02-07, 20:45
Female. Why? Because I like to stare at them, even if they're fake. Because I'm pathetic.

Diego_z
22-02-07, 20:50
both.... its equal for me...

Legend of Lara
22-02-07, 20:51
Female. Just because. They're independent, strong and look reeeaaaaaaaally good in tight catsuits. :cln:

Laras Backpack
22-02-07, 20:52
When I was younger I used to like playing as female protagonists, being a girl myself I found myself drawn more to them. However, nowadays I'll play as women, men, everything and anything! :) As long as the character's good I'm not fussed.

BlackGrey
22-02-07, 20:54
When I was younger I used to like playing as female protagonists, being a girl myself I found myself drawn more to them. However, nowadays I'll play as women, men, everything and anything! :) As long as the character's good I'm not fussed.

Can I take your vote as female?

MiCkiZ88
22-02-07, 20:55
I have to say both. I find both intresting in games :wve:

Blackmoor
22-02-07, 20:58
I like both.

Being a girl, I'd hate it if I always had to play male characters though, so I'm glad the gaming industry is quite balanced that way.

PirateRose
22-02-07, 20:59
I'll have to say I strongly prefer playing female, males on occasions and if I really like them.

Legends
22-02-07, 21:06
Both. No specific reason.
I agree

Trigger_happy
22-02-07, 21:09
I play which every character intrests me the most, whether thye are male, female or alien.....

Yuna´s Wish
22-02-07, 21:26
Female: Lara Croft, Yuna, Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Mio Amakura, Rei Kurosawa...of course, they´d be nothing without their great personalities. There are men with good personalities, but women generally express them in a charming way.

Psyched
22-02-07, 21:52
It's not the sex but the character that concerns me. Variety is essential, also.

Laras Backpack
22-02-07, 21:55
Can I take your vote as female?
I don't have a preference anymore. I'd put myself down as liking both equally. :)

Forwen
22-02-07, 22:44
Depends on a genre. In action, like Max Payne or Splinter Cell it matters very little to me. Females tend to look more graceful when performing various acrobatics, and they're also naturally associated with traits I prefer in gameplay - like speed and agility - so almost all my favourite characters from fighting games are females. As for role playing (Western type, not Japanese) then my vote goes for females so long as their looks aren't too distractive. So, not like I picked Scholar Ling in Jade Empire as my PC and spent the rest of the game staring at her... fringe. Honestly, she's got a mesmerising fringe - shame it's not animated.

That's for the gameplay - in terms of story sex influences very little if nothing at all.

Thorir
22-02-07, 22:58
Female. It depends on the game, but females are usually more graceful, elegant and faster than male characters, who are often stronger, using brute force...

oocladableeblah
22-02-07, 23:31
Both I like the variation it would be boring if it was just one gender.

RedTyga
22-02-07, 23:32
I think it depends on the game, but for the most part, variety is nice.

the hooliganz
23-02-07, 01:36
mael, i just don't know why, but i think they are more easier to control than female

troy tr
23-02-07, 04:05
depends on how good the character is.
I like male like Leon RE4, Indiana Jones, Dante,Prince of Persia but not like Tidus ffx(not my taste:p)

I like female who got the attitude to win like Lara Croft,Bloodrayne,but not yuna in ffx-2:p

Mad Tony
23-02-07, 06:19
Both.

Lucy_Croft
23-02-07, 07:14
Female... Just 'cause they kick ass.
Or male, but only if they're nice to look at :p

b0bb13
23-02-07, 07:29
Female,because they are smarter,faster and more beautiful than men in games.
For example:Lara,Rayne,the DOA girls....

Lara's Boy
23-02-07, 12:47
I usually prefer female protagonists, because they are generally more interesting to play as. Of course, when playing a game for any amount of time, I'd rather look at a pixelated woman than man, lol.

da tomb raider!
23-02-07, 13:01
Both. :wve:

dream raider
23-02-07, 13:07
Female. It feels like a default choice.:)

Soma Holiday
23-02-07, 17:56
It really depends. I don't prefer games with one or the other, cause it really depends on the character and the games, however...

when it comes to Choosing whether I'm male or female, ie RPGs like Oblivion, or fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Unreal, etc...I'm always a girl.

george_croft
24-02-07, 08:26
Female. In fighting games like DOA, for example, I find them easier to control, faster and their personality's are better developed than the male characters:)

And then again, maybe its just because I almost only play TR, so I try to find a substitute for Lara in every game:D

Mad Tony
24-02-07, 08:42
Female,because they are smarter,faster and more beautiful than men in games.
For example:Lara,Rayne,the DOA girls....Didn't know women were smarter than men in games.

petujaymz
24-02-07, 16:07
Usually I couldn't care less, but using Kurtis in AOD felt sick and wrong.

:wve:

domina
24-02-07, 17:54
I generally prefer playing as a female being one myself, but it's not a huge deal to me. If the gameplay is enjoyable, I'll play regardless of the protagonist's gender.

amitabha
24-02-07, 18:06
Honestly I don't really care. Lara Croft as always been my favorite character. I never did mind playing as Cloud or Tidus. I also love playing as Yuna.

Angel666
24-02-07, 21:46
It depends on the game and storyline. I really don't care either way though.

Geck-o-Lizard
24-02-07, 22:15
As long as they're not stereotypical testosterone-loaded male or big-boobs damsel-in-distress female, I don't mind. Both have their own interesting subtle characteristics, and if they're well developed enough, either can suit any role. Unusual/bizarre characters are my favourite (particularly the evil-aligned ones) and being evil and wierd isn't a job specific to one sex or the other. :3

Hybrid Soldier
25-02-07, 01:07
Well...Most games i play involve a male protagonist. However, i usually prefer a female protagonist because i find a good chunk of the games involve a guy saving the world or a person. So it's nice to play as a female.

BlackGrey
25-02-07, 09:17
Seems there are lot of people that like females as the protagonist and there are those who can't decide :wve: Keep voting! There will be more threads like this and I'll show you what it's all about hopefully :D

Domino
25-02-07, 10:11
Depends the storyline on the game, however I genrelly pick female's.

CuteKittenlol
25-02-07, 10:22
I mostly play as Female's, mainly because I like to see them kick ass. XD
But I do play as male's, because some of them are nice to look at. Hehehe.

Alex Fly
25-02-07, 10:40
It depends of the games (and of the characters).

dream raider
25-02-07, 13:09
I don't think there are many female games. There are a few I checked out and they are utterly disghusting, gameplay and everything. Think still life and mystery island.

Night Crawler
25-02-07, 13:22
If there's the option, I would usually choose to be male, being male myself.

Hybrid Soldier
25-02-07, 14:15
I mostly play as Female's, mainly because I like to see them kick ass. XD
But I do play as male's, because some of them are nice to look at. Hehehe.

LOL. :D

buckmana
06-03-07, 06:37
It doesn't really matter to me, as long as the main character is interesting and dynamic.

But, at the moment, I prefer the games to be female-led. Because, for years, it's been a guys field and we need lots of women to balance out the gender imbalance (the rule of statistics says 50% of any group has to be female, if they're not, there's usually a reason why it's different (usually enforced gender bias, but let's not go there)).

In Tomb Raider's case, I can't imagine it without anyone but Lara Croft.

nightwishgirl84
06-03-07, 08:45
both,but i preffer female.
maybe it's because i'm female myself.

Virusbuster
06-03-07, 09:00
As long as they're original I don't give a rat's rectum. Two things:

1. The male character should NOT always be the strongest man on the fictional earth.
2. The female character should NOT always be the sexiest woman on the fictional earth.

Do away with those, and your character is almost original already, which is kinda sad.