PDA

View Full Version : PS3 backward compatibility on EU machines

Samsdad
23-02-07, 21:06
is going to be by software emulation, jut like the XBox360 method.

This is from gameinformer:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced today that the version of the PlayStation 3 console that will go on sale in Europe on March 23 has a different hardware configuration than those available elsewhere. Most notably, the European version removes the system’s Emotion Engine, which is used to power PS2 titles, replacing it with software emulation.

"PS3 is first and foremost a system that excels in playing games specifically designed to exploit the power and potential of the PS3 system," said David Reeves, President of SCEE. "Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

TR freak
23-02-07, 21:08
Already posted this on the console wars thread. This is the first time I've ever been ****** off with sony.

Samsdad
23-02-07, 21:11
Sorry I missed your post. I saw this and was a bit shocked.

TR freak
23-02-07, 21:14
I was shocked too. Europe should be getting better PS3s for having to wait. The few games in the US that dont work should have been fixed for europe. This is an outrage.

Agent 47
23-02-07, 21:28
i don't have a problem with it....why???

will probably take 5 seconds to remove cable from back of pc and insert into PS3, then do whatever and download the firmware 15minutes tops.

no biggie, no harm no foul :confused:

look on the bright side, the EU gets better/more launch games :D

Legend of Lara
23-02-07, 21:33
Aaaawww... maaaaaaaaaaan... :mad: Cheap, cheap Sony!

TR freak
23-02-07, 21:35
i don't have a problem with it....why???

will probably take 5 seconds to remove cable from back of pc and insert into PS3, then do whatever and download the firmware 15minutes tops.

no biggie, no harm no foul :confused:

look on the bright side, the EU gets better/more launch games :D

Well we dont actually know if the games we need to play will be fixed with firmware anytime soon. There's no way to know specifically which games will be backwards compatable. Who knows, maybe my entire collection will be playable and maybe there will be firmware updates for the few that dont almost straight away anyway. This still doesn't excuse sony screwing over europe with regards to BC. I was never bothered with the delay in europe. None of the launch titles in the US interested me anyway. This is the only thing sony have ever done to make me mad at them before. BC is the deciding factor in why I chose a PS3 over a 360. They're basicly identical except I can play all my old games on PS3. Well at least I thought I could.

Mad Tony
23-02-07, 21:40
To be honest, I'm not surprised about this now. Sony are full of broken promises and do deserve to lose this console war.

Didn't they say that all PS2 and PS1 games would be compatible with the PS3? :rolleyes:

Legend of Lara
23-02-07, 21:42
Well, FFX-2 better be compaitable or it's the armageddon!!! :mad:

TR freak
23-02-07, 21:42
To be honest, I'm not surprised about this now. Sony are full of broken promises and do deserve to lose this console war.

Didn't they say that all PS2 and PS1 games would be compatible with the PS3? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that. I'd say nintendo deserve to lose for milking gamers so much. They use dated tech, slap on motion sensing and a bad online and sell it for alot more than its worth. They're guarranteed to make money even if it doesn't sell well. For that reason I think nintendo deserve to lose.

Mad Tony
23-02-07, 21:43
I wouldn't say that. I'd say nintendo deserve to lose for milking gamers so much. They use dated tech, slap on motion sensing and a bad online and sell it for alot more than its worth. They're guarranteed to make money even if it doesn't sell well. For that reason I think nintendo deserve to lose.Let's put this over to the console opinions thread now shall we? I'll post my answer there.

TR freak
23-02-07, 21:45
Good idea. Thats why that thread was created after all, to stop the endless amount of different threads.

Agent 47
23-02-07, 21:46
Well we dont actually know if the games we need to play will be fixed with firmware anytime soon. There's no way to know specifically which games will be backwards compatable. Who knows, maybe my entire collection will be playable and maybe there will be firmware updates for the few that dont almost straight away anyway. This still doesn't excuse sony screwing over europe with regards to BC. I was never bothered with the delay in europe. None of the launch titles in the US interested me anyway. This is the only thing sony have ever done to make me mad at them before. BC is the deciding factor in why I chose a PS3 over a 360. They're basicly identical except I can play all my old games on PS3. Well at least I thought I could.

the base for your argument is sound, but when i get mine i plan to check all my PS2 games anyway....already said my sister can have my PS2 and any game that isn't compatible...of all 70 i hope only a dozen of them will work, if not it's not a big deal as back compatibility isn't a major selling point for me personally.

don't get me wrong,it would be good if the majority i own will work,with or without firmware,but i buy a PS3 knowing most may not. :)

Cochrane
23-02-07, 23:28
From a technical point of view, I think Sony is doing the right thing. Including what is basically a complete PS2 in every PS3 is just ridicolous.

2kool4u
24-02-07, 00:26
calm down you whinning ppl!! There is an update for it just like there was in the U.S. So dont worry. All my games look fine.

interstellardave
26-02-07, 14:33
This is still big news for a lot of people on this forum... people talk a lot around here about being able to play all their old games on the PS3. Now (if you live in Europe at least) it's going to be quite a while before that happens...

petujaymz
26-02-07, 15:31
is going to be by software emulation, jut like the XBox360 method.

This is from gameinformer:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced today that the version of the PlayStation 3 console that will go on sale in Europe on March 23 has a different hardware configuration than those available elsewhere. Most notably, the European version removes the system’s Emotion Engine, which is used to power PS2 titles, replacing it with software emulation.

"PS3 is first and foremost a system that excels in playing games specifically designed to exploit the power and potential of the PS3 system," said David Reeves, President of SCEE. "Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

I don't believe a word of it...

EDIT - Why change the hardware configuration on the basis of a territory? It makes no sense... the hardware exists so why waste time replacing it with an emulator that performs the same function?

:wve:

Dingaling
01-03-07, 15:07
Over 1000 PS2 titles to be there which is good news. All of them may possibly be upscaled to HD resolutions: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23148

petujaymz
01-03-07, 16:16
Samsdad writes that Sony are removing the backwards compatibility hardware, replacing it with emulator software - a complete waste of time and money if you ask me. Even so, I don't understand the problem from a gamer's perspective. As long as all PS1 and PS2 titles are playable I couldn't care less.

Apparently, there's a problem with TR1 running on the PS3. If left on the title screen for 15 seconds the game freezes. Sony are aware of such problems and intend to resolve them.

:wve:

abraham
02-03-07, 08:13
sony also said on Australian IT i think it was that they changing the chasis:jmp:

kryptonite23
02-03-07, 08:45
My friend in Europe had already a PS3.
Some gameshop here in the Philippines are produced.