PDA

View Full Version : What Elements, Make A Game For You?

BlackGrey
25-02-07, 10:22
What elements, such as action, stealth, puzzle solving, exploring, make the formula for a good game for you? Give some examples of games that you found have the right amount of everything? Also include other elements such as music, textures, environments, architecture? :wve:

rejectedpunk9
25-02-07, 12:12
kingdom hearts is the perfect game i reckon. it has everything from nice fluffly disney characters to final fantasy characters to demons and such :D

Psyched
25-02-07, 14:19
The first crucial thing for me is gameplay. If I don't enjoy the game then I'll never really be able to get into its storyline. I'm not fussy about the type of gameplay, as long as I can enjoy it. :)

Uh, otherwise, storyline, environments and music are pretty essential, and I don't really play any multiplayer-only games. I further like character development and just pure intuition.

I'll posit Metal Gear Solid as an example. Fantastic, original gameplay, an awesome storyline with that gripping twist, excellent characters and characterisation, wonderful music, inspirational environments in what could so easily have been one large factory...and loads of incredible little features. The codec, the camera, the little things you can do with the items, stealth camo, and then of course the little features of the sequels such as hearing Snake's thoughts in the codec and interrogating guards and... Phew.

Legend of Lara
25-02-07, 15:09
Good graphics, great theme song, long game, tons of unlockables, humane hero that the player can relate to (Lara Croft, Sonic, Viewtiful Joe... etc.), good combat and SPEED!!!! :jmp:

BlackGrey
25-02-07, 15:19
The first crucial thing for me is gameplay. If I don't enjoy the game then I'll never really be able to get into its storyline. I'm not fussy about the type of gameplay, as long as I can enjoy it. :)

Uh, otherwise, storyline, environments and music are pretty essential, and I don't really play any multiplayer-only games. I further like character development and just pure intuition.

I'll posit Metal Gear Solid as an example. Fantastic, original gameplay, an awesome storyline with that gripping twist, excellent characters and characterisation, wonderful music, inspirational environments in what could so easily have been one large factory...and loads of incredible little features. The codec, the camera, the little things you can do with the items, stealth camo, and then of course the little features of the sequels such as hearing Snake's thoughts in the codec and interrogating guards and... Phew.

Thank you so much for that Psyched :D The more detail the better :)

Rivendell
25-02-07, 15:24
Here's what would make a great game for me:

Freedom & Explorability
- think Oblivion, Morrowind, Just Cause, Far Cry, Zelda, Final Fantasy
Huge vast open areas to explore at your lesiure.

Cool moves
- think TR, tekken, zelda, Assassin's Creed (for interactivity)
Imaginitive, fun, great looking moves to help explore the environments

Magic
- Think FF, and the Elderscrolls - even Dark Messiah
A customisable arsenal of destructive magic, and benevolant magic too for healing. Must have cool FX ;)

Cool Combat
- think TR, Dark Messiah (Best combat Ever!)
Great for pulling off those finishing movements.

Gorgeous Music
- think TR, the Elderscrolls, Final Fantasy
Nobuo is an audio genius, undoubtedly.

Vehicles
- think GTA, Just Cause, TR2/3/4 , Far Cry, Oblivion
Big environments to enjoy the vehicles in, drive (or ride!) anywhere - even off cliffs if you wish.

Wonderful plot(s) and characters
- think Trs, Final Fantasy, Dark Messiah, ElderScrolls
(Ok, I love fantasy plotlines..)

Graphics
- think Oblivion, Doom, HL2, Far Cry, Uncharted, legend
It's always nice to be able to drool at visuals. Even more so in FMVs.

Replayability because of everything above.

If anyone finds such a game, be sure to give me a PM!

Eddie Haskell
25-02-07, 15:33
An all encompassing game, one that puts you into it by stimulating all of your senses. Morrowind/Oblivion is to me the ideal game(s). Morrowind was a bit better than Oblivion in the ambient music, but in everything else Oblivion was was it's equal or better.

Having professional actors voices (like Patrick Stewart), the large game area, a plethora of quests (no one could complete them all!), unreal graphics, ability to ride horses (Oblivion) and so much more helped make Oblivion arguably the greatest game ever made. I believe that no game comes close. :)

MiCkiZ88
25-02-07, 15:34
For me:

Decent Lenght: minimum 10 hours first trhough.. otherwise the game will just be lost in my collection Story: Intresting characters & a story that doesnt have to be overly dramatic but yet intresting Gameplay: Not that important but I'd play a game with decent animations & variation that just a tube like game with instructions Genre: Action, Adventure, fighting or RPG Style: Exploring/adventuring, Action/shoot em up, Stealth/survival Athmosphere: Horror, dramatic, silence before the storm Score: Powerfull/ emotional score.. especially for an RPG game Challenge: I prefer hard games that require some thinking & stradegies. I'd think a day or two rather than complete a puzzle or enemy in five minutes.

I might have forgetten something.. Il ad it later to the list that.

BlackGrey
25-02-07, 15:41
These are all great, thank you! Keep it up :tmb:

Hybrid Soldier
25-02-07, 15:46
For me, it really depends on the genre of the game. I enjoy a variety of games like fighting games (Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, etc), stealth (Splinter Cell), Fantasy/Adventure (Zelda games) and action/adventure (RE4, Freedom Fighters, Call of Duty, etc). Games i tend to enjoy more are shooting games. I enjoy both 3rd person and 1st person. For games like that, i think controls are most crucial. I need to have a game with smooth controls and fairly easy control scheme that isn't complicated.

A good example of that is Resident Evil 4. For me it's one of the best shooter games i've played for the GC. The controls are fluid, gameplay isn't complicated, graphics are great...also i find enviroment is a big factor to any game. Especially playing through any RE game for the first time. You don't know what to expect and the enviroment helps get you into the mood. Another good example of games with enviroment are the Splinter Cell games.

Things that i find are a bonus/essential to a game are graphics, length and difficulty. Some of the best games i've played are short ones, but it's one of those games you can look at and say "That was a great game" and you can play it over again. Not too many people i know play or even heard of this game, but Freedom Fighters is also one of my favorite games. Graphics were decent, length was pretty short, however it had different difficulty levels. The storyline was great, controls, and the enviroment were all great. What i enjoyed most about the enviroment is how you progressed through your missions, the enviroment changed because of the fighting and destruction going on.

Anyways, i kind of babbled on but things that i find are most important:

- Controls/Gameplay
- Enviroment
- Music

Essential:

- Graphics
- Difficulty
- Length

PirateRose
25-02-07, 15:53
1. Story-A really really great story is a must!

2.Length-long games are the best, even if I'm extremely busy and have no time, playing for just 15 minutes of the day is good enough for me.

3. Action/Adventure- I want to be able to kick someones butt and be able to do things I would never do in a million years in real life *like climb and jump around buildings*

4. Chanllenging- I want to have to barely get through a level with with little HP left. I want to get so frustrated with a baddie that kills me and that I have to go back and try again. And try again, and try again, and try again, and try again! Because once I get through it, it's such an awesome feeling of accomplishment.

5.Soundtrack-Awesome music that I want to hear and that I don't cringe everytime it plays. In some games I mute out the music because it's something that just replays over and over again, and it gets annoying.

6.BIG FAT LEVELS!-Levels that the next time I play I find something I missed. Levels that seem to go on for, forever and don't feel like a preset path for you to follow or are in a box.

7. NO HINTS AT ANYTHING! I want to figure out the game on my own. I don't need the loading screen showing me all the keys and buttons, I don't need bubbles giving me hints or sidekicks giving me hints. I hardly ever read journal entries but to go back when I haven't played for a while and I've forgotten what I was doing before.

8. Collecting hidden stuff-Easter eggs, unlockables, anything like that because it makes it a game to have that stuff. Goes all the way back to the father of todays gaming, Mario with those secret pipes and haveing to collect all the coins.

Eddie Haskell
25-02-07, 17:31
A side note:
Is Oblivion available for consoles? I am just a pc player so I don't know. I would think the requirements of the game would be pretty steep to run on a console.

Hybrid Soldier
25-02-07, 19:23
A side note:
Is Oblivion available for consoles? I am just a pc player so I don't know. I would think the requirements of the game would be pretty steep to run on a console.

It's on the Xbox360 if thats what you wanted to know.

Eddie Haskell
25-02-07, 19:26
It's on the Xbox360 if thats what you wanted to know.

Thank you. :) I take it the Xbox360 has a powerful enough processor and video card to run it. Don't want to get too much off topic here (Sorry) but is this the most powerful console out there?

Twiin
25-02-07, 19:33
For me, I need a reason to keep playing. I want to be anticipating what challenges I am going to face, which enemies I am going to encounter, and how the story will develop. Playing as an interesting character is always essential in a game that I would deem my favourite, as I have a compelling reason to continue the adventure to further the storyline.
Games that stimulate all of your senses, and transport you into their world - Tomb Raider, especially. Sure, the textures may be blocky and her breasts may be triangular - but you still feel like you're in this undiscovered tomb, making the first footsteps in the sand for centuries.
Games that allow the gamer to think, and act, by themselves. I don't like games that present you with a linear path and set you off down that path, content in knowing you'll come out the other end. I want to feel like I'm part of a living, breathing and tangible world. One with perils, twists and dangerous foes to encounter.
Each game to its own in terms of stealth, gunplay and all that - what may work in one game may not in another. Stealth is an integral and exciting aspect of Metal Gear Solid, but less fitting in other games.
Manageable controls that make the gamer feel in control of the situation are a must, as any mishaps with the controls can bring a person out of the world of the game.
An emotive and intuitive soundtrack always help with a game, even if, when playing, you're not directly aware of it. Techno-pop rubbish is such a mood-killer. Try spine-chilling woodwing and violins, with haunting monk's chants. Even a spot of rock music is welcome in the right context! (12 Volt in Primal and Theory of a Deadman in Fahrenheit/Indigio Prophecy)
Games that offer a unique experience are always good - it gets boring to play lesser clones of old genres and games.

So, my list of favourite games:

Tomb Raider
Legacy of Kain
Prince of Persia
Primal
Fahrenheit
Tekken
Shadow of the Colossus
Jak (& Daxter)
Pokemon
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Hybrid Soldier
25-02-07, 19:43
Thank you. :) I take it the Xbox360 has a powerful enough processor and video card to run it. Don't want to get too much off topic here (Sorry) but is this the most powerful console out there?

It does. A lot of people who have a 360 and Oblivion enjoy it...at least from what i've read.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

That should answer your question. Personally, i have no idea. I haven't tried out PS3 yet, so i couldn't really tell you.

Eddie Haskell
25-02-07, 20:41
It does. A lot of people who have a 360 and Oblivion enjoy it...at least from what i've read.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

That should answer your question. Personally, i have no idea. I haven't tried out PS3 yet, so i couldn't really tell you.

Interesting article. I wonder how the playstation crowd feels about it. ;)

Ikas90
26-02-07, 03:07
Story-line, gameplay and fun are the most important elements in a game for me. It's about how much happiness the game brings to you, really.

AmericanAssassin
26-02-07, 03:09
--Amazing Storyline
--Fluid Controls
--Descent Graphics
--Superb Gameplay
--Feeling

(Everything games, such as Halo, lack. :)

tomblover
26-02-07, 09:20
Here's what would make a great game for me:

Freedom & Explorability
- think Oblivion, Morrowind, Just Cause, Far Cry, Zelda, Final Fantasy
Huge vast open areas to explore at your lesiure.

Cool moves
- think TR, tekken, zelda, Assassin's Creed (for interactivity)
Imaginitive, fun, great looking moves to help explore the environments

Magic
- Think FF, and the Elderscrolls - even Dark Messiah
A customisable arsenal of destructive magic, and benevolant magic too for healing. Must have cool FX ;)

Cool Combat
- think TR, Dark Messiah (Best combat Ever!)
Great for pulling off those finishing movements.

Gorgeous Music
- think TR, the Elderscrolls, Final Fantasy
Nobuo is an audio genius, undoubtedly.

Vehicles
- think GTA, Just Cause, TR2/3/4 , Far Cry, Oblivion
Big environments to enjoy the vehicles in, drive (or ride!) anywhere - even off cliffs if you wish.

Wonderful plot(s) and characters
- think Trs, Final Fantasy, Dark Messiah, ElderScrolls
(Ok, I love fantasy plotlines..)

Graphics
- think Oblivion, Doom, HL2, Far Cry, Uncharted, legend
It's always nice to be able to drool at visuals. Even more so in FMVs.

Replayability because of everything above.

If anyone finds such a game, be sure to give me a PM! Me too! Although I have a few more requests for that list. Guns, melee weapons, bows/crossbows, spears, and finally making a character! Think TR's, GTA, Oblivion, Morrowind, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, and finally, as an add for cool moves, all Dead Or Alive games.

That would make my dream game... *Flies away while sitting on pink fluffy clouds*

petujaymz
26-02-07, 17:15
A 'pick up and play' element is important to me. When I'm done with deeper games like Tomb Raider, I revert to titles such as Street Fighter, Star Wars Battlefront and Mariokart to keep me going until the next involved game comes along.

Roddy100
26-02-07, 20:44
Superb idea for a thread, Blackgrey!

For me, FUN is the most important thing.

Now that may sound pretty basic but it's the truth. Fun encompasses many things and to be fun a game must be challenging but not frustrating (as Grand Theft Auto can often be guilty of), Compelling but not drawn out (which Metal Gear Solid is occasionally guilty of), varied (mini games keep things fresh but only if they're polished and up to the standard of the rest of the game). A good narrative is vital as it immerses me which also contributes to the "fun" factor as does effortless control.

Originality is also important to me, perhaps more so than innovation. Beyond Good & Evil for instance wasn't particularly innovative but the story was refreshing and many gameplay elements were fused together to create an appealing and seemingly original title which will linger for some time in my memory. Originality doesn't have to lie within the gameplay either - original art direction and level/character design can be an important contributor to my sense of fun.

Other games that fit the above description are Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus and the Ratchet & Clank/Jak and Daxter/Sly Cooper series.

Mona Sax
26-02-07, 20:53
It's pretty hard to say, I enjoy a wide variety of games - so mention things like 'exploration' or 'combat' would be too narrow. Therefore, I'll have to settle for very abstract criteria, I hope it makes some sense anyway.

In this order:
1. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. It's absolute king.
2. Atmosphere and level design - I want to feel one with the game's world.
3. A good, gripping story that makes me want to continue because I just have to find out what's next.
4. Music - could be combined with 2., it's essential to create a atmosperic environment. Music can also mean lack of music, see the classic TR games.
5. Graphics - nice if you got them, but not that important. Many of the games of yore have terrible graphics by contemporary standards, but they're still pure genius. Pac-Man, Pong, Tetris, Monkey Island, the Indiana Jones adventures etc. come to mind.

BlackGrey
26-02-07, 21:11
Superb idea for a thread, Blackgrey!

kryptonite23
28-02-07, 12:21
The moves,gameplay and its gore factor.:tmb:

hookups
01-03-07, 00:54
Game play , replayability ,graphics,and story

in that order:)

Tombreaper
01-03-07, 06:27
I still play Doom and TR II/III, so for me these games are okay.
Silent Hill too.

Alive_and_Funky
01-03-07, 21:18
The only element which I have to have in every game is good gameplay. A lot of my games have things I like about them (such as story, atmosphere and lifespan), but not all of the things I like about certain games exist in every game. Whereas I find Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic to have a great story, Rocky's isn't very good, just the odd cut-scene here and there to pretty much show what the plot of the movie is. Whereas Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is around as long as the equator, playing through the movies for the first time in Lego Star Wars lasts around as long as watching one of the trilogies.
Just as long as a game has enough things for me to enjoy about it I'll probably like it.