PDA

View Full Version : The ‘Longest Journey’ saga continues in episodic format

K.J
01-03-07, 17:22
Great news. It wasn't sure that Dreamfall would get a sequel at all. Still I would have prefered one game and not episodes, but it's better than nothing:D

Durham, USA – March 1, 2007 – Funcom announces that the Norwegian Film Fund has awarded Funcom a grant which will partially finance research and initial development of ‘Dreamfall Chapters’. The grant enables Funcom to establish a core technology team which will research online-only delivery methods of episodic content, as well as lay the foundation for a later pre-production phase of ‘Dreamfall Chapters’.

The online-only business model is a natural evolution of Funcom’s strategy. Through the research Funcom also aims to find new ways of expanding the brand value of ‘The Longest Journey’, while reducing the chance of piracy. As Funcom seeks to further strengthen an already established IP, the potential for a future ‘The Longest Journey’ MMO increases.

“We will be researching an online-only continuation of the epic ‘Longest Journey’ saga, and we very much look forward to develop new chapters to the Dreamfall gaming community,” said Trond Arne Aas, CEO of Funcom. “To see the Norwegian government take such an active role in nurturing the local game development industry is impressive. In return for their trust we aim to deliver a modern adventure game with unique qualities.”

The grant is part of the Norwegian government’s active endorsement of the Norwegian game development industry. Since the inception of the program in 2004 the government has supported a wide range of games, including ‘Dreamfall: The Longest Journey’. Funcom naturally welcomes the continued cultural acceptance of computer games as a medium comparable to film and television. With the aid of the program fans can now look forward to new online chapters in one of the most popular adventure sagas of all time.

Each new installment of ‘Dreamfall Chapters’ will initially be delivered as online-only content, but there may be retail releases with combined chapters, both for console and PC, at a later stage.

Funcom will not release any additional information about ‘Dreamfall Chapters’ for the time being.

LINK (http://www.funcom.com/wsp/funcom/frontend.cgi?session=v0ogjj5npfodbrc0bijdl3rig9efb m&func=publish.show&func_id=1191&table=CONTENT&item=1004)

irjudd
01-03-07, 18:32
TLJ MMO? I don't think so!

kryptonite23
02-03-07, 09:51
That is so long too finish.
I have tried to play it in my PS2.It looks interesting.

Raziel66
02-03-07, 09:56
:jmp: :D :jmp: aaaaaaaa:D

nightwishgirl84
02-03-07, 10:04
That is so long too finish.
I have tried to play it in my PS2.It looks interesting.

i thought it was only on xbox 360 and pc???

K.J
02-03-07, 10:07
i thought it was only on xbox 360 and pc???

Xbox and PC only;)

Cochrane
02-03-07, 19:49
I'm happy about Dreamfall getting a proper ending, but I'm not too sure about the episodic content. However, I think episodic content can work well if the main point of the game is not amassing skills or weapons or anything similar, but progressing the story. For this reason, I believe this will be great.

dream raider
02-03-07, 19:56
So we can only purchase it from online stores and it's an online game... Dissapointing.

K.J
02-03-07, 21:34
So we can only purchase it from online stores and it's an online game... Dissapointing.

No, it's not an online game

All right. So while I can’t offer any details - too early, etcetera - let me just say this: The TLJ MMO? Don’t worry, that one - when & if - will feature a different storyline altogether, and you won’t be required to play it to find out what happens to, you know, everyone. But if & when it happens, it’ll be something really, really cool - and it will fit into the Big Picture in unexpected ways. And it’ll absolutely be worth playing.

Here (http://ragnartornquist.com/) you can read the rest of his blog.

And most likely we will be able to buy the episods in stores to. Not only online. But instead of buying one and one episode in the store you will get a dvd which contain not only one but a couple of episodes, but instead of buying online you'll have to wait a bit longer;)

AmericanAssassin
02-03-07, 21:36
Was the original good? I heard that it was amazing, but people just didn't buy it. I read that it was the most underrated game of the year.

K.J
02-03-07, 21:42
Was the original good? I heard that it was amazing, but people just didn't buy it. I read that it was the most underrated game of the year.

You mean The Longest Journey from 1999? Yeah it's quite good^^ It has 89% on gamerankings.com (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/198973.asp?q=the%20longest%20journey), and got 9.3 from Gamespot.

It sold ok, but it took some time for it to reach what FunCom thought was a good sale. The Longest Journey was originally made only to be released in Scandinavia, but it then grew with the sales to cover Europe and the U.S.

Thorir
02-03-07, 21:45
Dreamfall wouldn´t work on my old laptop. :(
Shame, because The Longest Journey is one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

K.J
02-03-07, 21:51
Dreamfall wouldn´t work on my old laptop. :(
Shame, because The Longest Journey is one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Yes, and the Norwegian voice acting is impressive good too. Especially April Ryan who gets her voice from Synnøve Svabø:)

AmericanAssassin
02-03-07, 21:54
The lead character looks strangely similar to Shannon Doherty.

http://i8.************/3443uau.jpg

dream raider
03-03-07, 14:11
Episodes... Like Half Life 2 Episode 1, 2?

dream raider
03-03-07, 20:06
It's no rumour! Look what I found in gamespot!

Back in 2000, the first instalment in the Dreamfall saga was released. Called The Longest Journey, it told the story of April Ryan, a student who had the power to shift between the two worlds of magic and science. A sequel followed in May 2006, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which introduced us to Zoë Castillo, who finds herself also traveling between the two worlds to unravel a mystery and find a friend who has disappeared. However, the second game left many loose ends untied, leading many to believe there would be another episode in the epic adventure, although lead designer Ragnar Tørnquist wouldn't confirm anything.

But now Norwegian developer Funcom has announced that the series will continue, and that it has been awarded a grant by the Norwegian Film Fund, which the company will use toward researching and developing the story as Dreamfall Chapters.

Funcom's CEO, Trond Arne Aas, also hinted that a MMO version of April and Zoe's world might be coming, and commented, "We will be researching an online-only continuation of the epic Longest Journey saga, and we very much look forward to developing new chapters [for] the Dreamfall gaming community."

The company also stated that although the first phase of the game's release would likely be through downloadable episodes, following later in traditional boxed form.

Funcom commented on the content of the new title by hinting that the game would be the last in the series, and all the loose ends would be tied up in the upcoming episodes: "At the end of the road waits the greatest mystery of them all--one that will bring the groundbreaking saga to a surprising and stunning conclusion."

Cochrane
03-03-07, 22:46
It's no rumour! Look what I found in gamespot!

Well, yes, K.J. posted the original press release by Funcom itself that the guys at Gamespot are referring to, so it was kinda clear that this wasn't a rumor.

Thorir
03-03-07, 23:57
Yes, and the Norwegian voice acting is impressive good too. Especially April Ryan who gets her voice from Synnøve Svabø:)

Plus she´s hilarious. :D

K.J
04-03-07, 00:47
Plus she´s hilarious. :D

Yes, so I don't understand why FunCom hired Petronella Barker to do April in "Drømmefall":( They should have continued using Synnøve Svabø.

dream raider
04-03-07, 09:13
Yes, so I don't understand why FunCom hired Petronella Barker to do April in "Drømmefall":( They should have continued using Synnøve Svabø.

Are you talking about the voice actress?

Raziel66
04-03-07, 09:52
The company also stated that although the first phase of the game's release would likely be through downloadable episodes, following later in traditional boxed form.

:jmp:I will surely buy the Boxed version :jmp:

the loose ends would be tied up in the upcoming episodes: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: