PDA

View Full Version : How did VonCroy become filthy rich?

troy tr
06-03-07, 06:46
He has a building called Von Croy Incorporated (VCI), including mercenaries and choppers. I mean the old guy just raid tombs and even if he's rich, what's with all the high tech equipments and machineries in the building?

Did he become an entrepreneur or something like Natla? He's good in raiding tombs and that's why he became Lara's mentor in the first place. So high tech life for VonCroy is so out of the character context:confused:

michaeldt
06-03-07, 06:47
well he was an archiolagist before.
so maybe he sold some of his artefacts.
IMO

Rivendell
06-03-07, 09:39
My guess is he or his parents sold lots of Nazi gold after the war, he became the world famous archaeologist adventurer, got lots of money/artifacts/fame, and money usually follows soon after.

:tmb:

GodOfLight
06-03-07, 10:20
My guess is he or his parents sold lots of Nazi gold after the war, he became the world famous archaeologist adventurer, got lots of money/artifacts/fame, and money usually follows soon after.

:tmb:

to be quite honest i take offense to you mentioning Nazism simply due to the fact that Von Croy is German :tea:

He has a building called Von Croy Incorporated (VCI), including mercenaries and choppers. I mean the old guy just raid tombs and even if he's rich, what's with all the high tech equipments and machineries in the building?

Did he become an entrepreneur or something like Natla? He's good in raiding tombs and that's why he became Lara's mentor in the first place. So high tech life for VonCroy is so out of the character context:confused:

it's Von Croy Industries ;)

i think it makes sense that he is rich. i mean, lara is rich aswell and raids tombs. and any german name incorporating the title "Von" (which means "of") qualifies as aristocracy or nobility... so, just like lara's family, werner is probably an aristocrat. also , VCI is most likely a family owned industry, since there is a relative (father? brother? uncle? cousin?) standing next to Von Croy who is stuck in the wheel chair... so Von Croy may only own half or a third of the company whilst the rest of the family runs it as he goes off to raid tombs ;)

kryptonite23
06-03-07, 11:29
I think he became filthy rich because of Lara or he is very corrupt.:o

Rivendell
06-03-07, 11:34
to be quite honest i take offense to you mentioning Nazism simply due to the fact that Von Croy is German :tea:

Sorry, I should've said it was because he always reminds me of the guy who's face melts in that Indiana Jones film - he was a Nazi wasn't he?

(Lol.. "oops" if he isn't! ;) )

stereopathic
06-03-07, 16:34
Sorry, I should've said it was because he always reminds me of the guy who's face melts in that Indiana Jones film - he was a Nazi wasn't he?

reminded me of him, too. i'd be surprised if the similarity wasn't intentional.

GodOfLight
06-03-07, 16:59

don't worry, i was only teasing you :p

it is of course quite obvious that they were trying to give us a stereotypical Nazi with Von Croy. And yes, he is defenetly based on the guy in the Indiana Jones series.

stereopathic
06-03-07, 18:50
ok, some of this may be speculation so feel free to shoot down anything i say here.

so, according to wikipedia, werner was born in Austria, 1940. the article credits the tomb raider chronicles official guide for this information. austria was absorbed by nazi germany in 1938, although there was plenty of nazi activity before that. i believe that most of us believe that the old man next to werner in the VCI cutscenes is his father, as they share resemblance with the old man looking significantly older. so we can assume that werner's father, at the very least, lived under the Nazi regime.

now his father was age-appropriate to fight in the war. but as GoL mentioned earlier, the Von in his name implies aristocracy (a baron perhaps), and he may have been too important to have to do so. but he was certainly old enough to profit from it.

it's not crazy to assume that von croy industries was started by his father. we know for sure that it develops military weapons, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that he developed new war technology even back then. possibly for the nazis.

it's also logical to assume that the power of the Iris artifact gave them access to whole new technologies (which we even use at one point) and untold riches. an item that important deserves mercenary guards and armed helicopters to defend it and provides the funds to build (or buy) a skyscraper in new york. (and also to issue all the businessmen chloroform for their offices :D)

after Lara retrieved the Iris to stop werner from abusing its power, VCI may have taken huge losses, accounting for von croy returning to europe and his roots in archaeology.

Sara Croft
06-03-07, 22:44
I think he was famous, as in what he says when you complete first lvl in TR:Last revelation:
'...And you`r the famous archeologist Lara croft, ya? No, no, I am the famous' archealogist von croy!
Thats not exacly what he said, but it was something like that :P

GodOfLight
06-03-07, 23:37
ok, some of this may be speculation so feel free to shoot down anything i say here.

so, according to wikipedia, werner was born in Austria, 1940. the article credits the tomb raider chronicles official guide for this information. austria was absorbed by nazi germany in 1938, although there was plenty of nazi activity before that. i believe that most of us believe that the old man next to werner in the VCI cutscenes is his father, as they share resemblance with the old man looking significantly older. so we can assume that werner's father, at the very least, lived under the Nazi regime.

now his father was age-appropriate to fight in the war. but as GoL mentioned earlier, the Von in his name implies aristocracy (a baron perhaps), and he may have been too important to have to do so. but he was certainly old enough to profit from it.

it's not crazy to assume that von croy industries was started by his father. we know for sure that it develops military weapons, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that he developed new war technology even back then. possibly for the nazis.

it's also logical to assume that the power of the Iris artifact gave them access to whole new technologies (which we even use at one point) and untold riches. an item that important deserves mercenary guards and armed helicopters to defend it and provides the funds to build (or buy) a skyscraper in new york. (and also to issue all the businessmen chloroform for their offices :D)

after Lara retrieved the Iris to stop werner from abusing its power, VCI may have taken huge losses, accounting for von croy returning to europe and his roots in archaeology.

very nicely put :tmb:

Legends
07-03-07, 00:53
I never thought about that. I just assumed he "just was" rich XD

troy tr
07-03-07, 09:20

I like this explanation more. It makes sense that VCI is a family business,and I almost forgot about that old guy in black suit next to voncroy.It's his father?:eek::yik:

Rivendell
07-03-07, 09:42
I can't help but laugh when I see the title of this thread on the forum index -

How did VonCroy become filthy

:vlol:

Angelus
07-03-07, 10:30

Lmao! I opened this thread with caution! :p

Amando_au
07-03-07, 10:48
yeah i find it funny too

Von Croy gets a bit annoying after awhile do u agree???

And also how does Lara Not get scared in the tombs by herself??:confused: :pi:

stereopathic
07-03-07, 15:40

that's one for the mature area. :D

troy tr
07-03-07, 17:22
I think some people have too much dirty thoughts :whi::mis:

MisterCroft
07-03-07, 18:57
I think Von croy's wealth was made from selling Archaeological items to order, to wealthy businesman. Still, he seemed quite a nice chap untill Lara left him for dead, then it all kicked off.

Paul H
09-03-07, 08:41

I think he looks like Laurence Olivier's character from Marathon Man.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2361/oliviermq3.th.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oliviermq3.jpg)

Janny
09-03-07, 14:48
I'm with what Stereopathic said. Verner loves artefacts (he almost died whilst getting the Iris), so I don't believe he would have sold any. He just got lucky. ;)

MisterCroft
09-03-07, 15:57
I think he does both though. He keeps some artifacts that he wants himself, but isnt beyond collecting them for other people, for money purposes to fund his own digs.

young Lara Croft
13-03-07, 09:19
Verney is a gready man, this is why i don't like him! :(

Amando_au
15-03-07, 10:36
:D :D:D well he sold the Iris artifact and made money well that is my verision!Some of that money is lara's

But what if you beet him he shouldn't be rich

Maybe he sales Contact lens LOL:D

Werner Von Croy Contact Lens servies LOL

Come to out contact leans thay help me in tombs :D :D